[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 51 KB, 496x384, 1282040124616.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1718079 No.1718079 [Reply] [Original]

ok, so i was chatting to my friend the other day and he asked me this:

Do you think your eyes move faster than your body?

i gave him a response along the lines of,well its a badly phrased question,then got onto saccades and the refresh rate of the eye,nerve signal delays to do with distance from the brain etc.

and in the end he said, look i dont want some scientific fact, i want to know what YOU THINK.

this puzzles me,i mean,if i know the facts,why would i think differently? Essentially my opinion stands for nothing, because I know the answer, I dont have to THINK about what it would be, I know better.

i eventually retorted with this, and he got very annoyed at me, we got in an arguement blah blah blah.

im just wondering,does this/has this sort of thing ever happened to you?how do you go about asnwering without just putting people out of their comfort zones,i dont want to have to just play along and answer "I THINK THIS,BLAH BLAH BULLSHIT" just to go through the motions of a conversation with someone, that seems insincere,what would /sci/ do?

>> No.1718084

I just don't talk to people.

>> No.1718097

That's a stupid subject to consider having an opinion on.

I mean, if he asked you "what do you think about abortion?" and you start spewing facts, and then he said "NO, what do you THINK?". Then that would make sense. The facts may have bearing on your opinion, but knowing some statistic or how it is done is not an opinion.

But you can't have an opinion on something like that. Something that works this way or that way.

>> No.1718101

Never speak with this person again.

>> No.1718126

JUST DONT TALK TO PEOPLE PERIOD. EVERYONE BUT ME IS AN IDOT

>> No.1718136

No, my friends arent that dumb