[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 939 KB, 2329x2994, water filter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1707784 No.1707784 [Reply] [Original]

I ran across these directions for building large scale water filters. Im wanting to build these to filter water for the homeless in out city. I believe the filter will work for most microbes, not at all against viruses, and trap some polar contaminants that microbes will then be able to eat. So /sci/ do you see any other potential issues with this set up?

>> No.1707787

I could also see humans contaminating the filtered end of the setup with their hands.

>> No.1707791
File: 6 KB, 426x304, 1221247882123.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1707784
1. That water filter won't do shit against microbes.
2. Quit fucking with evolution.

>> No.1707795
File: 147 KB, 800x524, 1283220979353.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Surely you have some money. Even if you don't, it would be easier and safer to buy a filter. Usually this is the more cost and time effective option.

Anyhow, what you are doing is... backwards. You can't take an undeveloped nation, give them the necessities, and expect them to develop from there. You need to encourage and direct the development of irrigation canals before anything else. If they exist, expand them because they are obviously not good enought.

Maslows Hierarchy, faggot. Start at the bottom. Work up. It does not happen from the top down. btw I respect what you are doing, you are just doing it wrong.

>> No.1707806

>>1707795

I agree with the abstraction of his hierarchy, but I don't believe it is absolute. You can have various traits from the higher tier and be generally at lower tiers. It is also subjective towards your genetic and psychological state. It is merely generally true for the general population.

>> No.1707827

http://www.eytonsearth.org/staph-infection-clay.php

Clay and sand have anti staphylococcus properties. Thereby selecting for benevolent bacteria to overcome their harmful counterparts.

>> No.1707840

How about when shit hits the fan, how do you filtered radiated water?

>> No.1707868

>>1707806
So OP isn't trying to provide fresh water and better living conditions to a general population?

lolwut?

>> No.1707882

>>1707840
You'd just need to ensure the dust is all filtered out of it. Water itself wouldn't be radioactive, it would just have radioactive particles from the fallout suspended in it.

>> No.1707889

>>1707868

The person you are replying to, me, is not OP, you fucking faggot. My response wasn't directly related to the general topic of the thread.

>> No.1707904

the homeless in the USA have access to all the water they want. The main problem with the homeless street dwellers that you're thinking of is they are substance addicts. They simply don't care about anything else.

The vast majority of homeless are people who want to work living in shelters (even sometimes people who are working but don't make a lot). Those people do have access to water.

For the rest, or if you live somewhere other than the USA, there is a commercially-made water additive that you can use to convert flowing river water or rain water to potable, microbe-free water. That's a lot more viable than a giant water filter.

Pretty much, Africa and remote areas of India and China and similar outback places are the only ones left without access to water. It requires a lot of money to get those up and running.

>> No.1707907

>>1707840
>>1707806
>>1707795

This filter would not be an end all to filtration. Nonpolar residues would easily make their way through the system but it would be an improvement for them compared to drinking river water. As for radiation you have to precipitate the metal out with a complexing agent or just a reaction.
As for the psychology bullshit the Maslow pyramid does not apply to people with abstract grasps on reality. No one is concerned about love and being accepted when they are schizophrenic and trying to run from invisible government spies etc. This system just give them a more humane way to carry on their existence.

>> No.1707915

Add activated carbon or charcoal to this setup and you're in fucking business.

>> No.1707923

>>1707904

I agree with you a good deal but someone under the influence of these drugs they may not feel the need to get up and get water for themselves. These people(in our city) live under bridges next to the river to this system would make drinking fresh water more attainable. Also when people are in withdrawal from some drugs their muscles stiffen up so much that they may become physically unable to walk to get water. This would help those people through those times.

>> No.1707924

>>1707915

How do I activate charcoal? Fire?

>> No.1707938

1.) Large, clear container, sealed.
2.) Dirty water.
3.) Lay on reflective metallic surface in full sun.
4.) Wait.
5.) Wait more.
6.) Grats, the sun just UV baked any nasties out of the water, it's safe to drink.

>> No.1707966

>>1707938
I had this idea a very long time ago.
You get a very large mirror, say an old 15 foot satellite dish covered in foil and use the concentrates sun to boil water. If you were getting the water from a well, then depending on how deep the well is the water would be very cold. Would that temperature difference be enough to power a stirling heat engine? You'd essentially have a self pumping/self sanitizing well that is completely solar powered.

>> No.1707985

>>1707938
>implying water does not evaporate

>> No.1707990

>>1707966
>You'd essentially have a self pumping/self sanitizing well that is completely solar powered.

no you'd have something that would be sold for 2 hits of crack as soon as you got in your car to leave

>> No.1708024

>>1707985
>clear container, sealed

>Implying water can evaporate to any effect in a sealed container.

>Implying you have the reading comprehension of a 3rd grade nigger.

>> No.1708055

>>1708024
Damn, got me.

>> No.1708113

>>1707966
would this actually work?

>> No.1708126

>>1708113

Briefly.

Not very effective though.

>> No.1708146

>>1708113

satellite dish would need to track the sun and the heated reservoir would need to be kept at the focal point of the dish, which is usually where that little arm thing that holds the sensors etc is.

it would be difficult to construct but but a 15 foot dish would be able to collect well over 10,000 watts continuous on a sunny day depending on how reflective it is. plenty of energy even to run some kind of continuous water distilling apparatus that could produce dozens of gallons per day.

>> No.1708162

>>1708113
You'd be better off having some solar panels and running an electric motor off them. Alot easier.

And leaving water in the sun is what they do in some parts of Africa. If you just need to purify a small bottle (I've seen it done in 500ml bottles before).

If you have some method for getting the physical stuff out like mud and stones it would be very effective.

>> No.1708187

>>1708162

lol I go backpacking with a couple friends sometimes, and one guy has a clear nalgene bottle that he fills with stream/lake water and lets sit in the sun for several hours and claims its safe to drink due to UV. I boil everything, or sometimes use iodine or stuff called aquamira.

I haven't told him yet that polycarbonate, which nalgene bottles are made of, blocks UV and the sun is doing nothing unless it heats the water to sufficient temperature to kill bacteria, which it definitely does not do because most places we go are in the mountains and cold. I think he will learn his lesson better if he gets giardia once lol.

>> No.1708210

>>1708187
>>1708187
>I haven't told him yet that polycarbonate, which nalgene bottles are made of, blocks UV

You could always just not be such an ass and tell him this.

>> No.1708275

>>1708210

because in my ideal world ignorance is physically painful and I don't mind pushing that belief on others in this world when I can.