[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 507 KB, 1920x1080, Space-Ship-Over-Pandora.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1707368 No.1707368[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hello /sci/, I am designing a plausible, relatively inexpensive (no antimatter engines) generation ship. By designing, I mean I'm actually drafting blueprints. However, there are some problems I need help with.
First, how many dangerously sized particles are there in interstellar space? I would like to incorporate a massive solar sail as a supplement to the ion engines, but adding a blast shield hundreds of kilometers in diameter isn't very cost effective.
Second, I know that I would like to have scientific facilities in there. The voyage would take millennia, and so the scientists on board will be advancing our knowledge throughout the voyage. But this leads me to something: should they even attempt to stay in contact with Earth? By the time they received news of something that was discovered back on Earth, they would have discovered it as well.
Thirdly, which goes along with the second problem in a way, is it possible to have something orbit this craft while it is travelling very quickly? I was wondering if the craft should have space telescopes in storage so that they could launch them and monitor the stars while the voyage was taking place. However, this craft probably wouldn't have enough mass, and the telescope may soon fall behind.
Lastly, this craft is designed to hold ~1 million people, screened for optimum physical, mental, and psychological health. How much of this ship should be rotating to produce gravity, and how much should be left a weightless environment?

Thanks in advance. I will take all ideas into consideration.

>> No.1707370

Depending on your rate of speed, even minute particles are dangerous-sized.

>> No.1707375

>>1707370
I still have to calculate how fast it would be going, but if the solar sails are included, the plans include having large lasers on the moon fire at the sails to increase its speed, and there would be three massive ion engines in the rear of the craft. To slow it down, I have thought of having more ion engines in the front. About half way through the voyage, you stop the rear engines and start the ones in front.

>> No.1707381

Also, I have been pondering whether or not the craft would even place people on another planet. If I designed it right, the ship could sail the galaxy for hundreds of thousands of years, turning humanity into a nomadic sort of race. However, that would require a lot of planning, as there is no way to refuel.

>> No.1707386
File: 53 KB, 500x328, 1277510172828.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1707375
> the plans include having large lasers on the moon

>> No.1707389

>>1707375
Why not simply turn it around? You'd half the engines, and won't have to adapt to a new direction of acceleration.

>> No.1707392

>>1707386
Yes, I know it would be expensive, but it will give the craft a nice boost.

>> No.1707394

>>1707389
But then, if I incorporated a blast shield, I would have to have one on back, too. And that simply wouldn't work. But, if I don't include the blast shield, that would be a very good idea.

>> No.1707399
File: 67 KB, 750x600, 1262445037055.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>The voyage would take millennia
This is the only thing that lost my interest. Lets say, in the 700th year of the journey, back on Earth they invent teleportation to anywhere in the universe.

You can see the problem.

Also, WHY are you designing this? I'm interested.

>> No.1707401

>>1707394
By blast shield you mean an energy shield (which is sci-fi) or a physical barrier? Also, why wouldn't that work? It could be retractable or something.

>> No.1707404

>>1707401
By blast shield, I mean a large, metallic shield that would absorb the particles, letting them crash into it instead of the craft.
Also, I didn't think about retracting it, thanks for the input

>> No.1707413

>>1707399
I don't really know why I'm designing it.
I can't get a patent or anything on it, so it's not for money or attention.
I suppose I'm doing it so that I can show it to dumbasses when they come up with really absurd sci-fi space ship designs.

>> No.1707427

>>1707399
I don't think you could teleport anywhere without the other end of the device actually being there.

Also, OP, how fast do you intend of going in percentage of c?

>> No.1707430

>>1707427
I haven't calculated yet how fast it would be going.
I'm guessing that, at maximum, maybe 3% of c

>> No.1707435

>>1707430
So in 100 years, you would have traveled a light-year. I think communication with Earth would be possible, at least for the first ~500 years or so. The messages would have to be huge as well. A comms module shouldn't take up too much space anyhow.
Another question, how do you intend to power your ship?

>> No.1707440
File: 22 KB, 400x400, but that's wrong you fucking retard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1707413
>my face when everything you've written in your OP and following post is an absurdly retarded impractical "sci-fi" ship design
It's just fucking terrible I don't even know where to start.

>> No.1707443

>>1707435
I'm assuming (which usually isn't a good thing to do) that by the time this would be made, there would be nuclear fusion reactors capable of powering it. If not that, than perhaps a combination of fission and solar power (for a little while).

>> No.1707446

>>1707440
Actually, this ship is very possible, as it uses technology that is available today.

>> No.1707453
File: 28 KB, 497x402, bahaha.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1707430
Sweet jesus OP you sound like a 15 year old, you intend to "design" it with a ramscoop/solar sails along with lol "antimatter engines" and you only "intend" for it to travel at 3% of c. Oh god you're hilarious.

>> No.1707455

>>1707453
I never said I was going to use antimatter engines. I said I WASN'T because antimatter is too expensive to produce. I also said that I haven't calculated it yet, you stupid fuck.

>> No.1707456

>>1707443
Fission power wouldn't last long enough I assume. One option would be fusion power (if we manage to get the tokamaks right) with huge containers of lithium deuteride and hydrogen. That should last a while if you keep the power usage below the level of LA (or similar)

>> No.1707467

>>1707456
Good idea. I have a question about solar cells:
are they designed to absorb only the sun's light?
Other types of stars put out more of a certain wavelength of light, so you might need solar cells tailored to that type of star. If solar cells are a 1-type-fits-all sort of thing, then the craft could swing by stars every now and then to get some energy.

>> No.1707465

>>1707446
>antimatter engines
>solar sails
>one million people sustained in an isolated ship in the middle of space
>giant lasers on the moon
Yes all of these things are readily available to us now, just the other day my neighbor was letting his dog shit on my lawn for the third time this week so I decided to destroy his house with my giant moon lasers.

>> No.1707469

>>1707465
Once again, I said I WAS NOT going to use antimatter engines. The lasers on the moon thing is out there, but not impossible. Also, the Japanese have already used solar sails on one of their craft.
Shut the fuck up

>> No.1707471

>>1707455
>I'm drafting the blue prints of something I know sweet fuck all about and actually taking my self seriously
Yes, I am the stupid fuck because I find it hard to give a shit what words you used to connect that verbal (or should I say textual) diarrhea of a post.

>> No.1707476

>>1707471
Maybe you should just read the fucking post. I said I was not going to use antimatter engines because they are expensive and we do not have them yet.
If you don't fucking like the thread, leave. Have fun with religion and homework threads asshole

>> No.1707481

>>1707469
I am fully aware that solar sails do technically work, the fact that you are designing a entire ship containing one million people to travel for a thousand years around the fact that they have been lightly tested is the problem.

Oh and good job dodging the main issue here, how do you plan on keeping one million people alive in an isolated environment in space. Because you know that's something we already have enough trouble doing here on earth with all of it's natural resources and shit. How about food supply, equipment, resources (i.e. metal, plastics, water etc.), entertainment for one million people and government. Shit you've got a small country on a spaceship here, please do tell me how you plan on supporting those kinds of numbers in space.

inb4 OP gets butt hurt and says replicators, cold sleep or something else retarded.

>> No.1707485

>>1707368

Is your generation ship going to be built from scratch on orbit with resources brought from earth, or are you thinking of converting an asteroid?

>> No.1707489

>>1707467
All stars work on the same principle... Fusing hydrogen into helium, helium into carbon and so on... Those are stages, though. Different fusion reactions mean different wavelengths, but mostly they're the same. And solar cells work on all kinds of "light". The problem is that there just isn't enough light in extrasolar space, and PV cells are just terribly inefficient and costly nowadays.

>> No.1707491

>>1707481
Plants and artificial meat.
Unfortunately, such a large population does raise problems.
There would have to be a mini-government in a way.
I don't plan on them going into cryostasis or anything

>> No.1707495

>>1707485
Built in orbit from materials brought from Earth, or maybe from mining asteroids.

>> No.1707508
File: 950 KB, 3000x2400, NASA-project-orion-artist.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Read this OP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_%28nuclear_propulsion%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_Specific_Impulse_Magnetoplasma_Rocket

We have had plans for giant space ships for decades.

The Russians also drew up some plans for large ships, but fuck them.

You aren't the first one to think about it.

>> No.1707505

>>1707491
Bring the population down to a thousand, you don't need that many people.

>> No.1707511

>>1707505
Ok
A thousand people would be enough for a continuous population, wouldn't it?

>> No.1707514

>>1707491
Yeah bro I was planing on feeding all those people in Africa with some tasty artificial meat that I magic'd up out of thin air later today, right after I over throw their shitty warlords and install a mini-government.

Holy shit way to miss the point dipshit, you can't pull meat out of thin air, where the fuck are you going to get it. Do you even have any idea how much space you would need to devote on this already ridiculously sized spaceship to growing food, not to mention all the other crap you missed such as how the hell do you keep 1 million people entertained for a thousand years. Ship maintenance including all the residential buildings, all the wear and tear on the hull. Christ there are so many problems with this and it's not even the fact you're just trying to use magical technology we don't reliably have.

>> No.1707522

>>1707495
the cost of lifting enough materials for a million-person craft into orbit would be in the trillions, without even considering the cost of construction. Making a couple of asteroids into mines and factories would be much more efficient. I still think 1 million people is way too many. 1000 will do fine.

>> No.1707524

OP, some guy is trolling you. Just ignore him until he has some useful input. Also, I'm very interested in your ideas so far!

>> No.1707528

>>1707514
We do have artificial meat. I forgot what it is called, but it can be synthesized from several ingredients.
Also, fuck the people in Africa. They don't help anyways. This is more important

>> No.1707532

>>1707511
Sure, why not? I live in a very small and isolated town (like a thousand inhabitants) and we're doing just great.

>>1707508
Government projects are shit, and NASA is proof. They spent billions on research for the next moon landing and a fucking nigger comes along and ruins it all. Fucking OBAMABO

Now if you try that with a couple of private companies (which creates competition), that can have interesting results.

>> No.1707541

>>1707532
I'm guessing that since politicians are fucking greedy as hell, this wouldn't be done by a gov't organization. Probably a private enterprise.

>> No.1707550
File: 25 KB, 500x400, coolface boxxy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1707514
>1 million people entertained for a thousand years.
Man, wish I could live a thousand years.

>> No.1707556
File: 55 KB, 640x480, 1267676987732.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1707550
http://www.hplusmagazine.com/articles/forever-young/manhattan-beach-project-end-aging-2029

>> No.1707565

>>1707532
>Sure, why not? I live in a very small and isolated town (like a thousand inhabitants) and we're doing just great.
Then there are ethical considerations-is it fair to bring children into a small community that they can never leave, and force them to work for the ship?

If it's going to take centuries OP, I'd think you could get above .03 c using solar sails. Using a couple of slingshots around planets to start you off, .1-.15 c is easily achievable IMO. Then you only have 5-10 generations before you get to a suitable nearby star.

>> No.1707563

>>1707556
>mfw they said that aging would be ended my 2005 in 1950

>> No.1707569

>>1707528
Yes I am well aware of that, I was alluding more to the fact of say... where the fuck do you plan on getting all the protein from to make it. Ok so you'll artificially synthesize it? Hydrogen is ok, you'll already be collecting enough with a solar sail, carbon... derp, nitrogen... derp, oxygen... derp.

Well now that's sorted you may want to address these new points along with the other 15 or so that have appeared after and extremely shallow inspection of you're "inter-stellar space travel plans"

>>1707524
While I may be coming off as a complete dick, it is only because OP is an assclown and continues to avoid all the extremely important and very basic problems that need to be solved for something even remotely close to anything like this to succeed. All of my points are valid and it is essential that they be solved before anything on one thousandth of this scale to be attempted.

>> No.1707568

>>1707541
>implying any private company on earth could come remotely close to financing this
and there's absolutely no profit in this. It HAS to be a government effort.

>> No.1707570

>>1707565
I like the idea of going 15% of c
However, fuck the ethical considerations. The kid's don't have a choice. You are born on the ship, you work for the ship, you die on the ship.

>> No.1707571

>>1707532
>Now if you try that with a couple of private companies (which creates competition), that can have interesting results.

>implying competition for profit produces the most efficient technologies

Fuck no.

>> No.1707576

>>1707569
>hurr durr
Where the fuck do you think Earth gets its meat? The Sun? It's a closed cycle, with the exception of sunlight to fuel photosynthesis.

>> No.1707581

>>1707569
>mfw we'll recycle all of the CO2 on the ship into either more oxygen, or carbon if need be
>mfw ill think of a way to get nitrogen

you are being a dick.
There are plenty of solutions to all of these problems.
Just get the fuck out if you dont want to help

>> No.1707594

>>1707532
>Sure, why not? I live in a very small and isolated town (like a thousand inhabitants) and we're doing just great.
>Sure, why not? I live in a very small and isolated town (like a thousand inhabitants) and we're doing just great. We import stuff from all over the world, like cheap plastic crap from China, oil from the middle east and cars from Japan. It's a shame we could never be self sufficient even with all the natural resources around us.

Fixed that for you, it's a shame you'd be on a space ship with barely any natural resources around you. Maybe you can collect all that hydrogen in the vast emptiness of space, I'm sure you can do something with it other than fueling your engines.

>> No.1707597
File: 110 KB, 778x1313, wrong but true.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1707570
You have no idea on how hard it is to get to even a percentage of c.

pic related, but its wrong, as your mass would increase as your speed increased.
not to mention hitting ANYTHING at 15% of c would rip the whole thang apart.

>> No.1707600

>>1707570
>However, fuck the ethical considerations. The kid's don't have a choice. You are born on the ship, you work for the ship, you die on the ship.
This sort of thing interests me almost as much as the journey itself-how do people act and interact when they're stuck on a hunk of metal, with no escape? I imagine there would be some seriously rebellious teenagers and a lot of suicides when people realized they were going to grow up, work, and die without ever leaving the ship. There would have to be some serious psychological conditioning starting from a young age to keep people happy, or at least not resentful/miserable.

>> No.1707604

Here is a solution to all of that "where do you get the air? the carbon? the nitrogen?" shit
MAKE IT LIKE EARTH
Earth is a closed system, excluding sunlight and cosmic rays.
You have plants that recycle CO2 into oxygen, and you have bacteria that recycle shit into nitrogen. With that, you can either keep livestock alive, or, probably make synthetic meat

DEAL WITH IT

>> No.1707610

>>1707600
There are two solutions to that:
either, like you said, SERIOUS psychological conditioning from birth, or, you just never show them pictures of Earth or talk about it so they think that this is what their purpose in life is

>> No.1707611

>>1707594
>cars
>oil
Not on my spaceship, brah.
>natural resources
Artificial flora?

>> No.1707613

>>1707597

wtf are you talking about? i'm traveling at a percentage of C right now. i have my whole life. dumb cunt.

>> No.1707618

>>1707495

>Built in orbit from materials brought from Earth

And you say 'relatively inexpensive', this fact makes your idea more like 'relatively economy dooming' and 'relatively likely never going to happen', unless somebody invents anti-gravity propulsion or UN will have the balls to authorize a nuclear pulse propulsion craft be launched from earth (and which will remove the need for it be built on orbit alltogether).

To put it shortly, it's fucking dumb try to build something so enormous on orbit (from scratch).

>> No.1707619

>>1707613
You don't know that, dumbfuck. It's relative. Go read A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking.

>> No.1707623
File: 17 KB, 394x406, ship.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Right, going to try and bounce a few ideas I had about. Relativistic physics isn't exactly my forté, I'm a biologist with a sci-fi interest. But I love the idea of interstellar travel and the colonisation of space so I decided I'd post here.

Surely no blast shield could ever last forever no matter how thick/ablative it was. I was wondering, would it make more sense to try and redirect incoming particles. Could momentum generated by angled lasers be sufficient to move particles off course? Not sure how you would be able to detect and 'aim' these lasers fast enough anyway. Alternatively (and this may be even more ridiculous than my first idea, use another ion drive (possible even lasers, though I don't want to go on about them too much or people will start to talk) at the front, pointing backwards down a cone-shaped blast shield (see pic). Any blows made would then be glancing and less damaging? However, there would still be an issue of hitting the particles at these speeds, regarding their size.

Also, I think far more ion drives would be required. This is solely based on redundancy. Anything could happen to them and they would be near impossible to repair. Wouldn't the entire ship become dangerously radioactive over time (cosmic rays, although I am not sure)? Making leaving the living section impossible, all repairs would have to be performed by robots.

>> No.1707625

>>1707618
I'm talking about the craft itself, not how it is built.
inb4 space elevator

Also the UN is a joke. If someone wanted to put a nuclear space ship in orbit, theres not a god damned thing the UN could do about it

>> No.1707628
File: 104 KB, 800x450, funny ass shit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1707576
Earth is a closed cycle on an extreme scale with a massive abundance. Unfortunately for OP you pretty much have what you took from earth for one thousand years, do you to suggest some way to maintain a closed system like that for a thousand years. What if the population increases? You're going to start shooting babies out the air-lock, nope you can't do that what a waste of resources. They must be recycled so we can get that precious carbon etc. back.

>>1707581
Plenty of solutions huh? Why don't you start answering them then. Because for every terrible answer you given I can think of about 5 more that arise.
>mfw ill think of a way to get nitrogen
haha
>mfw you don't even know where to source nitrogen from in human waste and can't even type in the capatcha correctly, yet want to design a spaceship on such a grand scale

>> No.1707634

One common problem with life support systems is closing the cycle. For one thing, critical gases (nitrogen) must be brought along as they tend to escape the food cycle on ship. To keep your plants alive you'll either need something akin to an atomic converter, or large tanks of the gas.

Do you know how much farm it takes to feed 1 million people? What if a plague breaks out and kills half of the food supply - who lives or dies? You need a food storage that could support you through this, and diverse food plants in sufficient quantity to harvest year-round.

Other key chemicals of life are hard to get without a full ecosystem - yet another huge complexity. Your ship is going to be about the size of Rhode Island.

>> No.1707633

>>1707623
Interesting idea, I'm not sure how efficient it would be though. Those lasers would require an awful lot of power. However, I realize that a material shield would eventually degrade into nothing. So, there is something I need to consider as well

>> No.1707638

OP don't forget that if they're breeding, a thousand people causes inbred fail after a few generations... if you want big, then go big.

algae cultures for food shizzley and maybe find a way for the people to come up with their own entertainment - maybe status in the hierarchy is based on making tech on the ship increasingly energy/resource efficient, there's loads of tech being used so there'd be endless different components for them to work on.

>> No.1707639

>>1707628
Bacteria recycle organic molecules in the soil into nitrogen.
FUCK YOU
Also, yes, if the population gets too high, you start killing people and recycling them

>> No.1707649

>>1707638
Perhaps something on the scale of 10,000 people then. I want there to be enough people for many generations, but 1 million is too many

>> No.1707652

>>1707532

>Now if you try that with a couple of private companies (which creates competition), that can have interesting results.

Too bad private companies are very unlikely to own any nukes. And for any practical interstellar travel with current and near future technology, nuclear is way, the ONLY way, and nuclear pulse propulsion is the fastest (not to mention, it can be built on earth and launched from earth).

>> No.1707653

>>1707623
You could try electromagnets, as space particles are charged particles afaik. Although I have no idea if positively or negatively.

>> No.1707660

>>1707639
>answer a single high school biology question after it has been answered several time previously
>continue to avoid the thirty or so I have posed to thus far
Please sir, can I get a ticket on your giant genocide space ship. I do so wish to die a glorious fiery death fueled by anarchy.

>> No.1707664

>>1707653
Good idea.
Still, I'm thinking about power. This thing is taking up a shit ton of power.
Fusion is almost a necessity for this ship

>> No.1707667

>>1707532
> billions on research for the next moon landing
When was this, 1976?
>>1707604
>Earth is a closed system
Not exactly true. Water and dust enter constantly. And if you want a sufficiently-earthlike ship, you'll be building a damn big one.
>>1707623
Think of it this way: You have to give every particle impulse sufficient to move it clear of the craft before it hits the craft. This is hard. Fortunately, even foil would work as a shield.
>Wouldn't the entire ship become dangerously radioactive over time
Only a few things induce radiation in normal materials. Lead shielding is bad though.

>> No.1707669

>>1707660
You would kill the people in secrecy.
The general populace doesn't need to know you are killing off the elderly and sick

>> No.1707674

>>1707667
Was talking out of my ass for a moment there, but I have seen articles criticizing NASA for its terrible financial inefficiency.

>> No.1707677

>>1707669
I'm honestly at a loss as to whether you are retarded or trolling at this point.

>> No.1707678

>>1707669
So close!

Here is the true answer:

Embezzle the funding.
Fake construction.
Load crew.
Execute crew.
Launch empty ship with minimal systems to simulate crew.
Profit!

>> No.1707680

>>1707623
better done with magnetic traps, much the same way a bussard ramjet works.
if you want, you can have a highly charged front plate, with a magnetic field around it. particles become charged, fly towards the plate. magnetic field spins them away.

>> No.1707684

>>1707674
>articles criticizing NASA for its terrible financial inefficiency.
NASA is not the National Going To Space administration. They were an effective policy stunt decades ago. It's clear now that they do the best they can to burn as much money as possible doing as little as they can in space.

And what do white hide-bound administrator decisions have to do with Obama? That's just disconnected from any of your (false) claims.

>> No.1707690

fuck these niggers man, go for at least 100 000 which is the size of a small city.

as for blast shield - find some way of polarising skin of ship - short range magnetic field (lots of small field generators embedded in the material of the outer hull - chemical engineering shizzle)... could even use it for micro energy generation, the particles you want to protect yo'self from have energy and over long periods of time maybe it 'charges' the skin (could 'pop' the charge backwards once it was built up a bit for minor accel boost)

>> No.1707692

OP here.
Well, I got some good input from those of you that helped. I'll delete the thread now because I'm tired of that dumb fuck who doesn't think that we could recycle the air and soil

>> No.1707693

>>1707684
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8489097.stm
Best be trolling.