[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 370 KB, 1024x717, Bigelow_5 446Kbytes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1677811 No.1677811 [Reply] [Original]

-Main Outline-

Hello /sci/ I have a plan for the private colonization of the moon. My plan includes 6 aerospace companies they are

1.SpaceX
2.Bigelow aerospace
3.Virgin galactic
4.Reaction Engines Limited
5.Armadillo aerospace
6.Ad Astra Rocket company

First SpaceX launches the Sundancer Inflatable habitation module into LEO and offers rides to it by its dragon spacecraft. Later once Virgin galactic or
Reaction Engines Limited, create a spaceplane that can get to LEO, the ferrying of people to the Bigelow space stations can be taken over by one of these companies.
By this point the Falcon 9 rocket is expected to be completely reusable, and can be used to carry Cargo or new Space station parts(Such as the BA 330)to LEO.
By this point Access to LEO will be relativity cheap and routine, with Cargo being carried to LEO by the reusable Falcon 9. Also we will have space stations
superior to the international space station.

>> No.1677814

>>1677811

Then SpaceX(maybe with the collaboration of others)can create a spacecraft that is designed to go from LEO to Lunar orbit and only operate in space. This Spacecraft
might be based of the Apollo CSM the command module could be a modified dragon spacecraft, The Service module could be a BA 330 to act as living quarters. The engines would
be VASIMR engines(created by Ad Astra rocket company). These engines would be powered by Advanced solar panels that are expected to be released in the near future.

This Spacecraft would cheaply ferry humans to lunar orbit to dock with another Bigelow space station complex launched there beforehand by SpaceX's Heavy lift rockets.
At this time I think that SpaceX will have a Super heavy lift launch Vehicle(SpaceX has already Proposed building such a rocket). After the Spacecraft docked with the
space station they will take a lunar lander built by armadillo aerospace. Armadillo's work on VTOL spacecraft makes them the ones that will probably make this craft.

The moon base will be made of BA 330 modules set underground as to protect the lunar colonists from the dangerous solar radiation. Hopefully this will get the
ball rolling and spur development of mars and the rest of the solar system the biggest reason why space is something not many people want to invest it is because its
such an unknown wether or not the plan is going to be successful. If this plan comes to fruition maybe it will show people that we can colonize space and it will
become much less of a risk to invest in new space programs.

I plan on writing more on this later

>> No.1677860

bump

>> No.1677891

Add Astrobotic Technology and we have a deal.

>> No.1677964

>>1677891
>>1677891
Never heard of it please elaborate

>> No.1678000
File: 13 KB, 320x306, nuclear-reactor-babcock-wilcox_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1677814

>VASIMR engines(created by Ad Astra rocket company). These engines would be powered by Advanced solar panels

trololol you're going to need more juice than that.

>> No.1678013

>>1678000
For mars missions yes

Solar panels work for earth to moon transit

>> No.1678022

>>1677964
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrobotic_Technology

>> No.1678032

>>1677964

I wanted to write long stuff in this thread but I'm exhausted and have to sleep.

Astrobotic has a lot of know-how on lunar stuff and Red Whitaker would be the ideal guy to lead such effort.

Please see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrobotic_Technology
Google Lunar X Prize
Red Whitaker etc.

>> No.1678127

>>1678032
>>1678032
He looks like he knows a lot about unmanned lunar stuff

How good is he at manned lunar activities

>> No.1678184

>>1678127

He also comes from a military background so it might help for getting DARPA funding. (Well, I don't really know how this works in US)

>> No.1678226

>>1678184
What interest would DARPA have in the moon?

Also I want to make this a private project

>> No.1678272

>>1678226

Private is better for sure. But I'm not sure how 6-7 companies can get together and cooperate, and find enough money to support; as all of them will have economic interest.

DARPA would be a platform to bring those together and initial funding.

>> No.1678338

>>1678272
But again what interest would DARPA have in funding this project?

Also these companies are pretty rich
SpaceX has a contract from NASA for over a billion
and a multi billion contract from iridium

Bigelow is willing to fund Bigelow aerospace with an extra half billion if need be

>> No.1678350

have you called your lawyers already?

>> No.1678399

>>1678350
I don't have any lawyers :(
(well now that I think about it my uncle went to law school)

Also something you might be interested in

At SpaceUp Dc I met the founder of the Open Space Movement

Pretty cool guy The Open Space Movement has a lot of potential

>> No.1678401

Consider this my monthly post to tell you to suck a dick, Scia.

>> No.1678448

>>1678401
Again why do you hate me so much?

>> No.1678462

>>1678448

Probably because you have a lot of ideas but no desire to implement them beyond idle thought experiments involving your space exploration fantasies?

That would be my guess.

hint: check out >>>/r9k/10906517

>> No.1678483

>>1678462
Oh i have plans to implement this.
The reasons why I have not yet is simple

1.They are not polished
2.don't know that much about business
3.Too young for anyone to listen to me yet
4.I need to refine my plans by a large amount
5.It will take years for me to gain the expertise to make my plans into anything more then space exploration fantasies.

>> No.1678510

>>1678483

If you have the patience...

1) go to college
2) major in engineering
3) Go into aerospace medicine
4) do NASA research at the intersection of biomedical engineering and the space sciences
5) Buy a small mining company in your spare time
6) Expand aggressively
7) Buy a private spaceflight company
8) ???
9) PROFIT!!!

You are now the owner and CEO of the first space mining company.

>> No.1678523

>>1678510

Bonus? You also have expertise and critical R&D about putting men into space and making them thrive there (not lose bone or muscle like most astronauts who don't exercise), not just robots or other machinery.

>> No.1678537

No, you do not have plans. You have the vaguest and most ambiguous of a general concept, based on apparently extremely little knowledge of the companies or requirements involved.
For instance, you write a lot about moving people into LEO and beyond, but almost nothing of all the rest of the project. 'Cargo' isn't a plan. Show us you have some idea how much cargo and how many flights, name how long you intend this moon base to be operating, and quantify some of this.

>> No.1678592

>>1678537
Well first of all vague plans are still plans

also this is just a basic framework

I plan on elaborating on this over the next couple years

Anyways I just came up with this recently

>> No.1678664

bump

>> No.1678687

>>1678510

Alternatively...

1) Research high-temperature superconductivity.
2) Discover a room-temperature superconductor.
3) Patent the manufacturing process that can create it in continuous wire and tape configurations.
4) Make a superconducting coil gun (aka a quench gun) prototype.
5) Scale up to a model that can launch into LEO.
6) ???
7) PROFIT!!!

Since you own the patents on the manufacturing process, you'll make a killing on all the launches you conduct through your orbital quench gun

>> No.1678763

>>1678687
I was thinking more along the line of heavily refining my ideas up until I get my PHD in aerospace engineering(if i do)

Then gathering support for my plan

After that somehow get the companies to go along with my plans(this is the hardest part)

>> No.1678810

>>1678763
lession one of spacecraft design

everything is at least 10 years behind consumer grade comerical components hope you like a single PPC 405 or leon2 running your entire mission

lesson 2

nobody likes to share technology spacetechnogy is in noway close to opensource in any way what so ever

third
space is hard manned space is harder

fourth
PHd in aerospace engineering is not necessary
all you really need is business savy and maybe a masters so they don't laugh you out of conferences (which they probally will do anyway with this sort of idea)

thats all i gots to say about this good luck selling magic beans

>> No.1678825

SCIA IS A 16 YEAR OLD DEIST

>> No.1678830

>>1678687

you would never be able to patent something like that, as you would be part of a lab AND part of a team

Patents for scientific achievements don't belong to individuals anymore for this exact reason

>> No.1678842

>>1678810
>lesson 2
>nobody likes to share technology spacetechnogy is in noway close to opensource in any way what so ever
Well SpaceX could just buy a BA 330 from Bigelow
Also Ad Astra is devolving their Engine for use on other Spacecraft so the whole point is to buy a VASIMR engine from them

>third
>space is hard manned space is harder
I know
Ill be entering the scene for at least 7 years by then Private orbital stuff will be common(for SpaceX anyways)

>fourth
>PHd in aerospace engineering is not necessary
>all you really need is business savy and maybe a masters so they don't laugh you out of conferences (which they >probally will do anyway with this sort of idea)
Good Advice thanks

>> No.1678847

>>1678825
im 17
remember that next time

>> No.1678942

bump

>> No.1679143

So any actual criticism to any specific parts of my plan?

Also what parts need the most elaboration?

>> No.1681047

bump

>> No.1681286

Im reading books on moon colonization now

In about a month I will flesh out the lunar colony part

>> No.1681442

>>1677811

and post it on 4chan? damn you are pretty naive

>> No.1681465

Like engineers and projectists didnt think about this 50 years ago. Setting up an habitable space for humans in orbit/moon is not really rocket science (heh), the hard part is to get financial help and you're basically asking yourself 'is it really worth the money add effort?'. If you wanna get it going leave this place and get yourself a job in an aerospace company

>> No.1681512

my main criticism is what's the point?
i mean the moon is dull to start with and unless you are going to use it as a platform for telescopes it has little use and as for commerce the Russian space agency has already shown that space is expensive and nobody who has that kind of money is prepared to shell out for a couple days of weightlessness and bad food.
the near future shows no prospects of radical cheaper space flight so the moon is going to be even more expensive 100's of millions for a trip the money just isn't there and this space plan would be incredibly expensive much more so than apollo or constellation due to its complexity.
ultimately I don't think is marketable since you need many many clients to make it worth while
and i have a hard time believing not only that these companies would not only work together but with no guaranteed pay off

>> No.1681571

>>1681442
Whats going to happen?

People are going to steal an unfinished plan?
>>1681465
Thats the plan
>>1681512
First of all the moon is very interesting
1.Theres water to mine
2.Theres a small amount of H-3 for research
3.Great view of earth
4.Its the next Logical stepping stone in space colonization(After earth orbit that is)

Also the whole point of my plan is cost effectiveness each extra step will be able to reap a profit that way its not a long term payoff type of plan like Apollo

Also the biggest problem in space colonization is that no orbital vehicle is truly reusable

Virgin can create an orbital vehicle that can carry humans into orbit(and not cargo)

SpaceX is planning to make their Falcon 9 Fully reusable anyways

and an Orbital Vehicle is just the next logical Step for Virgin Galactic, it will be SpaceShip Four Because they are also planning a Point to Point Suborbital SpacePlane
Im guessing it will be made in the 2020's

All of the parts in LEO are just the logical steps that the company's are going to take

The big problem is getting them out of earth Orbit(Which Elon Musk and Robert Bigelow have set as there Final Goal)
For Example Bigelow has stated that he wants a private moon base made out of his BA 330 modules.

>> No.1681600

we need a moon base because?

and space exploration? HAHA gtfo Humans will only be able to explore space with telescopes and the occasional probe bro.

>> No.1681607

>>1681600
We did land on the moon bro.

also explain your reasoning

>> No.1681657

>>1681571
>1.Theres water to mine
there's very little water much less than mars or earth or most places and we're not really in dire need of more
>2.Theres a small amount of H-3 for research
there is but it's very hard to collect on the moon millions of tons of regolith have to be processed for a single ton not enough to finance or justify a moon base of this sort and you can't really sell this stuff to science and it can be used in nuclear weapons so is strictly controlled thus unmarketable
>3.Great view of earth
good for observing the earth's magnetosphere yes not worth a moon base though
>4.Its the next Logical stepping stone in space colonization(After earth orbit that is)
not really it is not a stepping stone to mars it just raises more problems, and space colonisation really who want's to spend billions of dollars to live in space it's just inconvenient

you still really haven't addressed the lack of demand for this
im also very sceptical of these reusable vehicle
the falcon 9 will never be fully reusable in its current state in fact most experts don't think it will be reusable at all simply using ablative cork and a small parachute won't save the stages and as the rockets get bigger reusability looks worse
i highly doubt virgin will make an orbital vehicle the money just isn't there and branson knows it and if the do, 2020 never spaceship two needs allot of changes before it could be orbital and i don't think Scaled Composites are capable of it and i don't think they will try just because logically its the next step
the reason private space hasn't taken off before is because there is no money in manned launches and that hasn't changed i mean has spacex shown any indication of people buying tickets?