[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 44 KB, 640x554, 1282706594940.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1649666 No.1649666 [Reply] [Original]

>If there's no God out there, it might seem pointless to go to church, or to pray. Christian Atheists would disagree:

>Worship is a beneficial activity. Worship in a group is good way for a community to:

* communicate with each other
* share ideals and ideas
* explore the meaning and purpose of their individual lives, and the life of their community
* Hymn-singing and prayer
- These are powerful ways for individual human beings to explore the meaning and purpose of their lives.
* Liturgies
- The ceremonies and rituals of the church - are a powerful way of acting out the ideas that give meaning to our lives. They enable human beings to use action instead of words to explore their deepest ideas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/atheism/types/christianatheism.shtml

>> No.1649668

Substitute religion for drugs, 1:1. You'll be fine.

>> No.1649696

Yeah. As a britfag you kinda know that church of England Christianity is the logical end of pascal's wager. It's more about tea with the vicar and village fetes than real religion. The cancerous problem is the freaky cults of Christianity like the Adventists, Baptists, Methodists, etc which indulge in such ridiculousness as speaking in tongues and faith healing. Also Catholics. In general church of Englanders fall into two groups: white old people who fear gays and Muslims because they genuinely don't know any better, parents trying to get into the local faith school because it has good exam results. neither are particularly religious. The inbred hateful retards tend to be Baptists.

>> No.1649698

>>1649668
>If there's no marijuana out there, it might seem pointless to go to your dealer, or to smoke. Withdrawn potheads would disagree:

>Getting high is a beneficial activity. Getting high in a group is good way for a community to:

* communicate with each other
* share ideals and ideas
* explore the meaning and purpose of their individual lives, and the life of their community
* Rolling and lighting up
- These are powerful ways for individual human beings to explore growing methods
* Garbage philosophy
- The ceremonies and rituals of getting high - are a powerful way of acting out the ideas that give meaning to our lives. They enable human beings to use action instead of words to explore their deepest ideas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pot/mj/withdrawal/types/withdrawnpotheads.shtml

>> No.1649726

>>1649696
>The cancerous problem is the freaky cults of Christianity like the Adventists, Baptists, Methodists...
>Methodists

In 'murica the Methodists are comparatively sane. Some of the more liberal churches have shitty Christian rock during service, but they do have potlucks. Potlucks are fucking delicious.

>> No.1649775

Religions are a great way to

-Captivate your mind
-Surrender your free will
-See illusions as ghosts and spirits, unknown force
-Make you think that life is a mystery and not a puzzle

>> No.1649795

>>1649696
In the US it's the Protestants that are the problem. Mormons mostly keep to themselves (Utah), and Catholics can go either way ("Catholic" girls tend to be the most sexual, from what I've seen).

>> No.1649802

>>1649795
I love Mormons. They always act so friendly to me, and invite me to go swimming so they can try to baptize me. It's awesome, I've been baptized by 3 different groups now.

>> No.1649818

Nice Satan-get, OP.

>>1649802
I don't have many around me. Mostly just Catholics and non-religious people. Not even bad Catholics, either. Just the ones that call themselves Catholic.

I love Michigan.

>> No.1649827

Catholics the world over still preach abstinence over condom use, so no, they are absolutely the worst. Not least for their anti- abortion and stem cell research lobbying too.

>> No.1649835

A Christian Atheist is like a Republican Democrat or a holy heretic, it does not make sense.

>> No.1649838

>>1649827
But, see, to anyone with the smallest bit of intelligence, Catholics are fine. It's just that they breed misinformation for people in 3rd world countries or other extreme Catholics.

>> No.1649839

What the fuck is a Christian Atheist?

>> No.1649875

>>1649838
Opposing abortion in places like Ireland and fighting stem cell research in the UK and USA is not just affecting the third world... and what are you implying? Encouraging the transmission of HIV/AIDS in Africa isn't any less evil just because it's Africa, wtf are you implying?

>> No.1649972

Catholics and Evangelists are two side of the batshit coin. You get to chose between virulent self-loathing and sexual repression, or the utter rejection of science and reality.

>> No.1649982

>>1649875
I was merely saying that Catholics, the majority of them, aren't nearly as bad as Protestants, and, in general, aren't that bad in the US, barring some obstructions to stem cell research, which is just as much done by Protestants.

And, there's no point in pointing out that they're against abortions, because it will *always* be legal in the US, so long as this government stays in power (one of the few good things about this government). I can't speak for other countries, and am merely speaking of the US. The Catholic church is retarded, yes, for what they are doing in Africa, but that has little to do with most Catholics in the US.

>> No.1650066

>>1649982
But when judging them as a group you can't isolate them so neatly. Let's not also forget their sexism against women priests and homophobia against gay marriage...

>> No.1650073
File: 163 KB, 400x400, 1276483360416.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>christian atheists
>people who don't believe in a god, except they believe in a god