[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 376 KB, 500x433, non-dithering-colours-by-hue.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1630918 No.1630918 [Reply] [Original]

I've always thought that maybe everyone sees colours differently.
As in I what I see as blue is different to what you see as blue.

Is there any chance this is true? I'm guesing it's something we will never know unless we invent something to see through someone elses eyes.

>> No.1630925

It makes sense. It's unlikely that two people chosen at random would have the exact same ratio of cone types.

>> No.1630929

Hmm I don't really think so. If we see colours diferently then wouldn't some colour combination perceptions give big advantages if you're lucky?

You'd think this would be picked up. Say a bird hunter who sees blue as black would very easily spot birds flying high in comparison to someone who sees white on blue, etcetera. I think people would pick up on that.

>> No.1630930

I've always wondered this.
>>1630929
but if they saw blue as black they would see the surrounding colors as something else.

>> No.1630943

Well I read somewhere that men and women see colours differently.
Not drasticly like you are putting forth though. Like men don't see as many different shades of red for example.

>> No.1630947

No.
Otherwise someone would be like shit nigger this grass is pink and everyone would be like fuck wait what no it's not it's fucking purple and someone else would be like shut the fuck up it's sunrise orange and the world would stop rotating at the revelation allowing giant pandas to become the master race by fistfighting and the skilled use of nun-chucks.

>> No.1630949

>>1630947
I'm guesing you didn't understand ops post.

>> No.1630951

>>1630949
Welcome to a world of oxymorons.

>> No.1630955

This is an age-old philosophical question, OP.

>unless we invent something to see through someone elses eyes.
It's not the eyes that are the problem. We know that most of us humans have pretty similar eyes, with light receptors that pick up light on three different wavelengths that we've arbitrarily given the names "red", "green", and "blue". However, once those colors get processed in the brain, the philosophical question of "is the green I see the same as the green you see?" is unanswerable (at current).

>> No.1630963

the extent to which experience is subjective can never be know.

/thread

>> No.1630967

when the first eye transplant is made we might here comments of what the patiant sees with his eye and his new eye! saw documentry of how bee sees, we have filters that remove uv light that ad extra patterns on flowers so we already know that what we see and don't see depend on what sensors and filters we have. we could probably see x-rays if our eys allowed it- but those, like uv would harm us in long term so they are filtered out (though perhaps x-ray levels are simply too low on earth to be of practicle use the point is there is a whole spectrum to be seen and it would be cool to see what a full spectal image would look like through the human eye- seeing that spectral sensors use conventional known colors to represent levels, machines can't ever do this.

>> No.1630977

COLOR BLINDNESS. There are people who see green as brown and green as blue and can't tell the difference at least.

>> No.1630990

>>1630918

humans have the same organs (ok with some variations) to receive the information about the colour. the biggest variation can be caused by the interpretation of those signals by the brain. i suggest that people see colors differently cause there are also cases where people are more sensitive for some colors. it's all a brain thing.

>> No.1631025

I can't see small (4chan font size) non-bold red characters against a white background; they look black to me unless they're larger, especially when surrounded by other black characters. I assume other people can easily see the redness though, since its used a lot.

>> No.1631038

I don't care what other people see. The colors I got are bad ass.

>> No.1631064
File: 855 KB, 1024x768, colorinverse.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hello, OP.
Read my picture, you'll find it quite illuminating on this topic.

>> No.1631312

>>1631038
My colours>your colours

>> No.1631316

>>1630918
q-q-q-qualia

>> No.1631318

>>1631064
>gene
>no way of ever knowing
>derp

>> No.1631320

>>1631064

>> No.1631319

>>1631064

Oh you son of a bitch, now I'm always going to wonder...

>> No.1631327

i see everything in rainbows

>> No.1631396

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_spectrum

>> No.1631437

>>1631327
But then how do you know what color rainbow is?

>> No.1631460

>>1631064
I am skeptical, color blindness is an x linked trait. The only way for this to happen is to have a sandwich maker with a colorblind dad and have a carrier of the other colorblindness mother.

>> No.1631466

red = stressful
blue = calming
other colors cause other emotional effects etc.
If this is true for everyone, then we all probably see the same colors.

I found some interesting information on wikipedia:

While most humans are trichromatic (having three types of color receptors), many animals, known as tetrachromats, have four types. As many as half of all women are retinal tetrachromats. The phenomenon arises when an individual receives two slightly different copies of the gene for either the medium- or long-wavelength cones, which are carried on the x-chromosome.

Also this:

In certain forms of synesthesia, perceiving letters and numbers (grapheme–color synesthesia) or hearing musical sounds (music–color synesthesia) will lead to the unusual additional experiences of seeing colors. Behavioral and functional neuroimaging experiments have demonstrated that these color experiences lead to changes in behavioral tasks and lead to increased activation of brain regions involved in color perception, thus demonstrating their reality, and similarity to real color percepts, albeit evoked through a non-standard route.

>> No.1631476

>>1631460
even then she would be a bar body and have sections of the retina reversed and sections that are colorblind. Ie a splotches of vision in shades of green splotches that are only blue and areas that have both but are backwards from normal humans.

>> No.1631540

>>1631466
So women can see different/better colours?
It's impossible to imagine a new colour.

>> No.1631587

>Assuming normal vision. (No color blindness, etc)

We HAVE to see colors the same way. There is no other way to explain how certain colors have certain effects on peoples' moods. Such as; intense warm colors, like red, can produce feelings of anger, whereas less intense warm colors, like orange and yellow, can cause feelings of comfort.

Blue and green could be linked to sadness and depression, but more often than not, are linked to calming feelings.

Also, it's been shown that people who work in conditions with more green have less stomachaches than those who don't work with green surroundings.

The list goes on, but there's really no other way to explain why colors affect mood the same way, through myriads of different people.

>> No.1631600

>>1631587
the wavelengths of each coloe are still the same but what if somewhere between the eye and the brain something happens so we see it differently

>> No.1631614
File: 4 KB, 126x126, 1279485513095.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1631064
Damn you. Any way to know if I'm a reverse trichromat?

>> No.1631617

Well this is hurting my head thinking about.
Take this coca cola can for instance, it's red, I can't imagine it any other way.
But the idea that someone in the room with me is seeing how they percieve red, let's say my green.
And then my skin could be blue
And my hair orange

How could that seem normal to someone? But then it would if that had always been.

>> No.1631630

>>1631064
Is this true?
If so I will question if I am this till the day I die.

>> No.1631644

>>1631466
not necessarily, red might be stressful just because you relate to blood/fire etc. when seeing it.

>> No.1631752

magenta contact lenses duh