[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.93 MB, 284x233, 1281067021495.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1629361 No.1629361 [Reply] [Original]

I know this is a cliche question, and as a fellow /sci/borg myself I'm embarrassed to ask (it's a dumb question), and I'm too lazy to read long wikipedia articles. So someone answer me this:

How do magnets work? Aren't magnetic fields just electrons, which are all negatively charged? So how would they be attracted to other negatively charged particles?

Also, how is the north and south pole related to magnetism?

>> No.1629421

anyone?

>> No.1629448

the electromagnetic fields create two poles, one north and one south. this creates a pull because all the evil souls go to hell and christians go to heaven and so the atheists are trying to pull metal (aka temptations) towards them and christians are trying to push them away to be free and not enslaved by Satan himself

>> No.1629476

Read up on these links.

>>In perturbative quantum field theory, the forces between particles are mediated by other particles. The electromagnetic force between two electrons is caused by an exchange of photons. Intermediate vector bosons mediate the weak force and gluons mediate the strong force.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_field_theory

>>In technical terms, QED can be described as a perturbation theory of the electromagnetic quantum vacuum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_electrodynamics

>>Virtual particles are viewed as the quanta that describe fields of the basic force interactions, which cannot be described in terms of real particles. Examples of these are static force fields, such as a simple electric or magnetic field, or any field that exists without excitations that result in its carrying information from place to place.

>>The magnetic field between magnetic dipoles. It is caused by the exchange of virtual photons. In symmetric 3-dimensional space this exchange results in the inverse square law for magnetic force. Since the photon has no mass, the magnetic potential has an infinite range.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_particles

>> No.1629527

try www.wikipedia.org/magnets I hear they give a pretty good explanation

>> No.1629534

>>1629361

http://kottke.org/10/02/richard-feynman-explains-magnets-sort-of

this is worth watching. magnetism is a hard thing to explain in simple terms, even for richard feynmann.

>> No.1629537

>>1629527
404 not found

>> No.1629545

just posted this in another thread so I'm pasting it in this one also

electrons have a property called charge which is distinct from magnetism

a moving electron, however, creates a magnetic field - this is how all magnetic fields are made

in a solid magnet, though, you may wonder how it is that these electrons are moving in order to create the magnetic field... the answer is that all electrons have spin - ergo spinning electrons that are otherwise stationary will also create a magnetic field

All atoms have something called an orbital... without going in to any detail, orbitals are always populated by two electrons, one spinning up and one spinning down - spin up and spin down create opposing magnetic fields, ergo a magnetic field with two poles

in a magnet, all or a significant portion of, all of these spin up and spin down electrons are oriented in the same direction so that the small magnetic field generated by a single spinning electron is amplified by trillions and trillions of electrons working together and so you get a magnetic field that is detectable at the macro level where you and I can interact with it. In materials that are not magnetic, the electrons are oriented in all different directions and thus all magnetic fields cancel each other out.

The reason that a permanent magnet can turn any metal in to a magnet by touching it is because the magnetic field will temporarily force all of these electrons to orient in the same direction... also, magnets can make the electrons move in other ways so as to create electrical current when delocalized electrons are moving together through a conductive metal, thus also inducing another magnetic field.

wrote this in two seconds so excuse me if I said something that's not exactly right, but that's the general idea.

>> No.1629589

DID YOU FUCKING WATCH RICHARD FEYNMAN EXPLAIN SHIT ABOUT MAGNETS

>> No.1629594

>>1629545
see
>>1629476

Yours is only a classical explanation.

>> No.1629610

>>1629537
learn to computers