[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 50 KB, 1137x757, pubs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16243495 No.16243495 [Reply] [Original]

How many publications do you have? Whats ur highest impact factor?

>> No.16243522

Field: math. Papers: 6. Highest Impact Factor: 0.9. Employment status: unemployed.

>> No.16243523 [DELETED] 

>>16243495
0. 0.

>> No.16243540

>>16243495
Only 3, but I just got one last year with an IF of 5 that I'm proud of

>> No.16243652

>>16243495
0, Inf.

>> No.16243774

>>16243495
I was on track to have one a while back, but the stupid fucking PI discarded all my data and writing and told me to fuck off

>> No.16243908

>>16243495
Undergraduates writing papers is a US-American thing. Likewise, in Europe you're going to have a hard time publishing more than one or two mediocre papers in your PhD program. And from what I've seen, it's usually some co-opt study where your name is featured alongside a dozen others. Ends up published in some journal that no one's going to read anywy.

>> No.16243931

>>16243908
>in Europe...
...professors are honest enough to not consider even a master student's final thesis as sufficient quality or contribution worthy of publishing. Almost no student is considered worthy of being admitted to a PhD-program. Only the most exceptional and well-connected students have any chance of pursuing an academic career. In Europe a university degree is just a basic requirement for getting an office job that is not sales, data entry or secretary.

>> No.16244084

>>16243495
1, hopefully 2 in the next month here. IF of 2.6. But, I got my first grant to do some experimental work that I should be able to get another 2-3 papers out of, so I'm stoked about that.

>> No.16244108

>>16243931
>Almost no student is considered worthy of being admitted to a PhD-program
No, actually. It's fairly easy to get into a PhD program under the condition that your grades are good enough. In theory, anyone with a Master's degree can enter a PhD program, but nearly all places, which could realistically offer you one in conjunction with a specific academic job, will usually require a fairly good score. You can also promote in an industrial setting etc. and within some fields, this is usually how most people end up lecturing on or "researching" the field.
A PhD alone is fairly worthless if it doesn't come with job experience. In industrial settings, a master's student with job experience is considered just as valuable as a PhD student.

Either way, in both Europe and the USA, you can set up your own PhD program, so there's that. However, practically no one will fund it with his own money.

>> No.16244125

>>16244108
>under the condition that your grades are good enough.
With the added nuance that in regular programs, which are graded 1-10 instead of F-A like in the special programs promoted to rich kids and foreigners, professors are so strict and petty and uncaring about your future, and other students you have to cooperate with are so lazy and unintelligent, that you stand little to no chance of consistently getting high grades no matter how hard you work for it.

>fund it with his own money.
I can see how that's necessary for lab work in the sciences but in the context of humanities or theorethical/hypothesis generating sciences: is it not possible to just read and write something yourself (like Kastrup being awarded a philosophical PhD for arguing idealism)?

>> No.16244132

>>16243495
3 published, 2 in review, 1 being written, and that's all I'll ever have, since I'll quite academia the moment I get my doctorate. Impact factors of ~5 and ~15 when my two journal articles were published.

>> No.16244181

>>16244125
I have no personal experience with PhD programs other than from what I've seen with colleagues who pursued one. They work long hours, usually work on Saturday too, they earn little money etc. The work they do is mostly repetitive: collecting data, creating catalogues etc.
And I can't realistically enter a PhD program because my master's thesis was graded with what amounts to a D in the USA. Meaning: It passed, yet it sucks.
>professors are so strict and petty and uncaring about your future
Yes, from what I've seen, that's the case. It sucks even more if you're post-graduate in which case, you can expect to jump from university to university every two to four years (a relatively low salary included). And since assistance prof and up is all politics, depending on your background and social skills, read: ability to manipulate people like a sociopath, you are more or less stuck with questionable entrance level work that no one ultimately cares about.
>is it not possible to just read and write something yourself (like Kastrup being awarded a philosophical PhD for arguing idealism)
Technically, yes. You can publish stuff on your own and you don't even need a Bachelor's degree for that. But that doesn't mean, you realistically get your article into a journal. Especially the ones, which are more prestigious.

>> No.16244186

>>16243495
5 first author papers and a smattering of co-authored papers that I don't count. Highest impact factor is 6.5 cause I'm in a field that Nature journals are too stupid to accept papers from.

>> No.16244829

Impact factor is a meaningless value. All these Jew-funded journals churn out nothing but chatGPT generated slop anyways

>> No.16244834

>>15833839
>Reminder: /sci/ is for discussing topics pertaining to science and mathematics, not for helping you with your homework or helping you figure out your career path.

>If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/ - Advice.

>> No.16244845

>>16243495
I have 10 paper published. Highest impact factor is: N/A. my field don't publish in journals.
>Impact factor
It's a bullshit metric used to legitimize junk quality journals that nobody will ever read. They even use the phrase "impact" to suggest that those useless junks contribute something to the sciences. There are so many impact factor 5 journals nowaday that are just paper mills.
to know what are good journals or conferences, only consider top 10, even top 5, top 3 most prestigious in your field. rest are quite low quality.

>> No.16244883

Goddamn it, is academia really this bad? what about in the 2nd world?