[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 32 KB, 440x330, reg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1602339 No.1602339 [Reply] [Original]

ITT: Regenerative Medicine

Every week there seems to be some news story about stem cell advances and the possibility of regenerating our organs and even defeating aging. Just a few days ago this came out, showing that gene therapy can unlock our primordial ability to regenerate tissue.

http://med.stanford.edu/ism/2010/august/blau.html

The implications of this are astounding, and it seems it's getting closer and closer. What does /sci/ think?

>> No.1602359

i want to be wolverine D:

>> No.1602366

Muscle atrophy has been a huge issue for some time. This can allow for people with recoverable nerve damage and people with old age to maintain muscle strength in a controlled environment.

>> No.1602377

i personally want to see stephen hawking cured and jumping around

>> No.1602379

The most important fields of medicine today are those that keep the lives of the baby boomers another 25 years.
Hopefully these advances will be able to replace entire organs in the 70+ and older age group, the age group that needs them the most.

>> No.1602412

On a slightly related note, are people still bitching about stem cells? It seems that it was holding research back, but with all the recent breakthroughs has the opposition died down?

>> No.1602414

>>1602379
truth

There are billions of dollars in investments for regenerative medicine, even if biotech companies are losing a lot of money now. It's on the cusp of exploding and the people that are pushing for it the most are the ones dying right now (baby boomers). Heart disease, organ donor list, etc. This technology is being rushed at full speed because of the lives it can save.

>> No.1602432

>>1602412
I think the first FDA approved embryonic stem cell clinical trial is underway in the US. People are seeing the potential and realizing its not cloning or that bullshit, it's just using stem cells that were being thrown away by fetility clinics anyways. Regardless, there's not much controversy because of its potential and the fact that much of the stem cell research going on today isn't even using embryonic stem cells, but rather adult stem cells from the patient's body. Both methods are very promising.

>> No.1602434

There is no need to research any medical treatments for young people under the age of 50. There is an urgent need to save the older generation as soon as possible. If we can't get the vast majority of people over the age of 65 to live to 100 today, then theres no point in researching regenerative medicine at all.

>> No.1602445

I'm twenty years old... I want to live long enough so that I can be jettisoned into the sun when I die.

But by then... I might be able to be cryogenically frozen.

hmmm...

>> No.1602468
File: 59 KB, 425x639, aubrey.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe92kI5zYBc

lets get some aubrey de grey up in this bitch

>> No.1602537

>>1602445
What worries me about being frozen is that sometime in the future, when they figure out a way to freeze/unfreeze people safely, the current method of freezing will turn out to be obsolete(that is, you can't be revived if you were frozen with it.)

But, it's better than having a 100% chance to stay dead, so i will probably end up doing.