[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.93 MB, 3199x2230, 1261294888733.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1597706 No.1597706 [Reply] [Original]

Dear /sci/,
I was wondering if it would be possible for me to develop better mathematics skills so that I may perhaps be more qualified to pursue a career in something like Astronomy or Physics or at least be able to understand the math behind the concepts in these fields like relativity and quantum theory for example.
Herein lies my problem, I get the concepts of these theories and I believe I understand what is going on but I don't know the math behind it if that even makes sense.
I've never been the best with math although in everything else I for the most part did well in or excelled especially in the Sciences. (I was tested and deemed to have a "Gifted" IQ as a child, not sure if this matters at all..I figure it as a gauge for my "potential to learn")
Currently I'm attending a college that only recently used to be a community college (it's within a close distance, money issues, scholarship only covers so much, excuses covering my inferiority)
Am I a delusional lost cause? ;-; I like to hope I can do something about this

TL;DR version:
-Bad at mathematics
-Want to improve mathematics for sake of SCIENCE (astronomy,physics, astrophysics) and to understand math behind SCIENTIFIC CONCEPTS (quantum, relativity, etc)
-Can I improve/learn mathematics skills?

>> No.1597724

I don't see why not.
Get some books. If money's an issue, either pirate them, or buy them used. Older versions are quite cheaper (or you could buy those ugly indian editions),

Stewart, Bers, or Larson for calculus.
That guy who teaches at MIT for linear algebra.
Some analytic geometry textbook.

And that's the most basic stuff.

>> No.1597728
File: 36 KB, 463x555, 1281545110798.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

khan academy mother fucker

>> No.1597755

I'm also wondering the very same thing. I suck at math for the most part, would it be possible to teach myself math at atleast advanced level?

>> No.1597801

>>1597724
>>1597728
Thanks a lot I'll definitely check these out. Good to know /sci/ has fellow anons willing to lend a hand.

>> No.1597809

As a former mathphobe, I answer your question with an emphatic YES.

What helped me:
- I second Kahn Academy but without the motherfucker.
- Math Tutor DVD
- Art of Problem Solving series

>> No.1597819
File: 133 KB, 400x307, 1267747174023.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I get the concepts of these theories and I believe I understand what is going on but I don't know the math behind it

LMAO, if you dont get the math then you dont get shit.

>> No.1597827

The basic maths behind these kind of concepts isn't too hard and easy enough for the layperson to understand. There is, however, no chance of you understanding the complex shit that makes up these theories unless you teach yourself maths up to degree level and then enrol on a degree course. Some of the maths behind quantum theory is just...horrific.

As for just generally improving your maths skills, go for it! Pick up some highschool/college textbooks and go from there

>> No.1597852

>>1597819
Nice troll there buddy, I like how you omitted
>if that even makes sense
which IMPLIED that I was unsure of the validity/truth to my statement that I understand these things.
>>1597827
I know it's something not to mess around with and surely you'd have to do years of learning to grasp them, maybe even have an inborn natural ability for it. But it still fascinates and inspires me regardless

>> No.1597890

>>1597827

And by "horrific" he means simple undergrad shit.

Ignore this faggot, if you are dedicated and not retarded you can teach it to yourself. Having someone knowledgeable that can answer questions would help a lot, if you know someone like that.

>> No.1598246

OP, your thread motivated me to download the complete Khan Academy. Thank you.