[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 31 KB, 600x600, 1686396440234895.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15884050 No.15884050 [Reply] [Original]

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0191886923003525
>Abstract
>Researchers have demonstrated relationships between dark personality traits (e.g., narcissism) and pandemic behaviours (e.g., disregard for public health interventions). Individuals who disregard public health measures risk spreading COVID-19 infection, which has important public health implications. The present study was designed to examine the relationship between narcissism and pandemic attitudes and behaviours using a large population representative sample of North American adults (N = 5812). Participants completed measures of narcissism, psychological entitlement, non-adherence to non-pharmaceutical public health interventions (NPI), COVID disregard, anti-vaccination attitudes, reasons for social distancing, and COVID stress. Results of MANOVA demonstrated that individuals with high levels of narcissism self-reported greater levels of non-adherence to NPI, COVID disregard, COVID stress, anti-vaccination attitudes, and psychological entitlement compared to those with low levels of narcissism. Further, men with high levels of narcissism self-reported greater levels of non-adherence to NPI, COVID disregard, COVID stress, and psychological entitlement, in comparison to women with high levels of narcissism. These findings provide a nuanced understanding of the relationship between narcissistic traits, sex, and pandemic attitudes and behaviours and have implications for tailoring pandemic-specific public health interventions based on individual difference variables.

>> No.15884067

>>15884050
Chads.

>> No.15884072

>>15884050
This study is just an elaborate, multimilliondollar dig at antivaxxers. And they wonder why we don't "trust the science".

>> No.15884086

>>15884072
and the weird bit is they're doing this with maxvaxxed westoids. they're already maxvaxxed, they're doing it to mentally torture those few fuckers who managed to escape. there's no other reason as compliance is through the fucking roof.

>> No.15884087

>>15884072
>And they wonder why we don't "trust the science".
Because like other science denialists, such as young earth creationists, flat earthers, etc, you think you know way more about the subject than you actually do?

>> No.15884098
File: 41 KB, 1000x1000, 41vPt7d3bBS.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15884050
since February 23, 2017, scientist + OMS knew that Wuhan laboratories were dangerous for the whole earth, that these laboratories were working on very dangerous viruses and that these laboratories had no one security to ensure safety of virus leaks.

china plays with fire

what is the next dangerous virus

damn it, mtfkrs lazy cunnts, nothing in the newspaper to alert the world about 23 feb 2023
May 2019 the covid virus cannot be maintained in the regions must tell the truth

Fuck journalists with their theories about bats hiv mixed virus made in china labs
why not say the truth that they sucks at security

they start in 2017and say that they want reach 6 high dangerous level labs by 2025 with american fundings

best is time to stop virology labs in china because end is close with such labs

china virology lab definition pic below

>> No.15884106

>>15884087
"science denialists"

>> No.15884115

>>15884050
It stands to reason that a narcissist would probably be resistant, but instead of lumping all of the people together, it would be nice to know if there were some people who cared about others but still resisted a lot of the pandemic measures because they didn't trust the information. If you're not narcissistic, and you believe everything stated about masks, social distancing, and quarantining, then you're likely to follow the advice if you don't delve beyond mainstream news which promotes science stating all of that is good. Anyone who's actually done some research knows it's not nearly that clear cut. Anything less than a respirator does little to nothing, six feet of distance means nothing if enclosed in a small enclosed space, etc. I guess reading on those things makes me narcissistic?

>> No.15884118

>>15884050
Just like ''studies show that left-wing / right-wing people are idiots!'' You are 12 years old if you can't see that these studies are part of a business model.

>> No.15884126

>>15884115
the general idea with these studies is to not allow for any reasonable position where you don't get vaxxed. they'll chop at this constantly, it not only helps with present boosters but you need to be cucked for the next one.
the general idea is that they work backwards, they think (and collect online media data) of possible positions you can take then they start thinking of how to attack each and every one of them until there's literally none left. no matter your excuse you're a horrible human being who's barely worth living if you refuse to do what you are fucking told.
that's what it's all about anon. and now they have science to back that view up. and it's only going to get worse.

>> No.15884141

>>15884115
>but instead of lumping all of the people together
Do you not understand how averages and odds ratio's work?
>>15884118
>Just like ''studies show that left-wing / right-wing people are idiots!''
No, just showing the obvious that narcissists are a lot more likely to represent in science denial.
>>15884126
...So you guys don't know what an odds ratio is. Seriously?

>> No.15884162
File: 494 KB, 662x559, Screenshot_4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15884050
enough proves about china lab virus leak online - look at China Search engines with as search result wuhan labs 2017 - 2020 it shows good enough that covid is a virus lab leak even on url nature.com date 2017-feb- 23 shows that scientists worry about virus leaks from wuhan labs even OMS was notified by a potential virus lab leak due lack of security

>> No.15884172

>>15884141
>odds ratio
Odds are that you don't know the difference between establishing facts and weaponizing facts.

>> No.15884176

>>15884172
Or p-hacking or other statistical trickery to create silly headlines like this (spoiler: he knows but this is a troll post)

>> No.15884177 [DELETED] 

>>15884050
I never got the COVID vaccine

Hundreds of thousands of children are being aborted every single year. Tens of thousands of children are being aborted completely legally in 2023 in deep red USA states.
Abortion is still legal in all 50 states and almost nobody is talking about it. The pro life movement is a controlled opposition and not your fren. Please watch this approximately 15 minute long YouTube video on abortion please whether you be pro choice or already pro life https://youtu.be/XGPv66ZqlEQ?feature=shared

Over 6 billion (yes) Chickens are tortured to death every single year in the United States alone in factory farms. And no your Canada Australia or EU country isn't much better. Billions of animals are being tortured to death in factory farms every single year and it's (partially) your fault! Please watch at least the first five minutes of this YouTube video . In it he explains that people who regularly purchase chicken for years straight will almost certainly cause the torturing and murder of hundreds of extra chickens. That blood is all on your hands and would NOT have been shed had you instead decided to boycott animal products / go vegan ! https://youtu.be/brKhhZlUoOc?feature=shared

What are the conditions like in factory farms where over 96% of all animal products in western nations come from? They are mutilated without anesthetic, crammed in dirty, uncomfortable, and crowded conditions, they are artificially inseminated / raped and jacked off, they are slaughtered. Doo. re is a free approximately 2 hours long documentary about factory farming please watch it thank you https://youtu.be/LQRAfJyEsko?feature=shared

I'm the best

>> No.15884184

>>15884050

Are we consistently at risk if authorities fail to notify,monitor,spy worldwide countries to prevent pandemics?

>> No.15884187

>>15884172
>Odds are that you don't know the difference between establishing facts and weaponizing facts.
You mean like what science denialists, like antivaxxers, do? I understand that quite well. Just like I understand desperate scrambling deflection from people so hilariously pathetic they feel personally attacked by a publication enough to get their panties twisted anonymously.
Really anon? Really? Please be trolling somehow.

>> No.15884188

>>15884126
It's so sadly divisive though. It paints anyone who disagrees with the mainstream media that they're terrible, selfish people. Then we have people who have done some research and believe anyone who hasn't must be a pathetic sheep. There's a lot of reasons for things, and warring with the opposing side just makes people less likely to listen and more likely to point fingers. Four years of a pandemic and nothing has changed.

>>15884141
>Do you not understand how averages and odds ratio's work?
Yes, and I also clicked on the article to see if they broke it down a little further and got paywalled. They don't even entertain the idea that some people may choose not to follow a lot of the measures not because they're narcissistic, but because the measures are based on nothing. Six feet is made up. Masks really don't work. The vaccine trials produced terrible numbers, of which certain ones were cherry picked to give to the general public. God forbid public health interventions involve education, admitting some things are unknown, and letting people come to their own conclusions instead of force feeding them lies for the "greater good."

>> No.15884195
File: 6 KB, 258x195, download.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15884050

"What's next virus? because Wuhan labs are known to work on some of the world's most dangerous viruses."

>> No.15884202

>>15884050
>self-reported greater levels of non-adherence to NPI, COVID disregard, COVID stress,
Wait what? Both of those?

>> No.15884205

>>15884188
>but because the measures are based on nothing
Bet?
>Six feet is made up.
Or you didn't bother to look it up.
>Masks really don't work.
They help reduce spreading if worn properly along with other interpersonal recommendations. Of course, "if done properly" is the sticking point.
>The vaccine trials produced terrible numbers, of which certain ones were cherry picked to give to the general public
So you're just going to ignore the mountain of data comparing the unvaccinated to the vaccinated, consistently showing far higher deaths and complications? Oh and let me guess you base this "terrible numbers" idea on VAERS.

Anon you're not "educated" or "skeptical". You're just a gullible moron falling for boomer memes on /pol/. Either way this is off topic.

>> No.15884207

>>15884187
>Just like I understand desperate scrambling deflection
The irony kek

>> No.15884211
File: 19 KB, 790x639, 1700702013898.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>18 posts
>9 IPs
ITT: OP trolls himself when he tries to post a troll thread and nobody replies so he ends up spending half a day vainly self bumping his 4chan thread in hopes of getting some social media dopamine attention for himself

>imagine you posted a thread to 4chan and it got less than 10 valid replies regardless bumping it from page 2 a dozen times
seems potentially frustrating

>> No.15884240

>>15884187
>feel personally attacked by a publication
Please explain why, from all possible correlations they could uncover, like dog owners versus cat owners, banana icecream lovers versus strawberry milkshake worshippers, they choose to uncover the correlation with dark triad traits? What motivated and prioritized this particular research above all else? Imagine this study for ethnic correlations. You can't because won't happen for political reasons.

>> No.15884253

>>15884240
>Imagine this study for ethnic correlations. You can't because won't happen for political reasons.
This is a good point. Privately, public health authorities are constantly complaining in industry talks/meetups about how they can never get over 50% compliance with public health measures in black communities. A lot of DEI/health equity funding goes into trying to figure out how to convince black people to get vaccinated or tested for various diseases to very little result.

>> No.15884255

>>15884205
>>but because the measures are based on nothing
>Bet?
I bet you a million dollars that you can't find a source showing six feet is definitive. It's an arbitrary number based on how far mucus droplets tend to fly and falls completely apart when talking about aerosols that can travel hundreds of feet and float in the air for minutes to hours.

>Or you didn't bother to look it up.
I look forward to your source.

>They help reduce spreading if worn properly along with other interpersonal recommendations. Of course, "if done properly" is the sticking point.
Masks do not stop inhalation or exhalation of aerosols. There's a reason respirators are required as part of the OSHA requirement.

>So you're just going to ignore the mountain of data comparing the unvaccinated to the vaccinated, consistently showing far higher deaths and complications?
The trial data was a sham, I've covered it in another thread. There was no difference in all-cause mortality and covid mortality, and little difference in respiratory illness.

>Oh and let me guess you base this "terrible numbers" idea on VAERS.
So I'm supposed to trust CDC data except when it's not convenient?

>> No.15884257

>>15884211
She needs a japanese school uniform and a catty hairpin but I can't draw. Sorrry I assumed his gender.

>> No.15884262

>>15884253
can you post a mortality graph on age groups, linear scale (none of that log psyop) AND remove any people with comorbidities from it. let's see it

>> No.15884265

>>15884240
>What motivated and prioritized this particular research above all else?
Probably the litany of related research and mountains of it regarding dark triad traits, narcissistic personality disorder, and unusual/paranormal/science denial beliefs? As ought surprise literally no one, this falls in line with all the rest of it on all of the other subjects. This is just the same area of research as "conspiracy theory" related beliefs in general. I don't recall off top of my head if there's a consensus term for it but it's all the same stuff and there's plenty dark triad publications on it.
>>15884240
>Imagine this study for ethnic correlations.
There are. Different ethnic groups have varied proportions of such beliefs for different reasons and it's a long standing problem for psychiatric treatment.
>>15884255
>I bet you a million dollars that you can't find a source showing six feet is definitive.
And there it is. Move those goalposts buddy. First you claim six feet is baseless, now you want six feet to be "definitive". 100% honest. Totally.

>> No.15884271

>>15884265
>And there it is. Move those goalposts buddy. First you claim six feet is baseless, now you want six feet to be "definitive". 100% honest. Totally.
You owe me money. :-)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/graisondangor/2021/09/19/cdcs-six-foot-social-distancing-rule-was-arbitrary-says-former-fda-commissioner/?sh=3ff0d3cee8e6

>> No.15884275

>>15884271
>You owe me money. :-)
>>The six-foot rule, Gottlieb said, was a compromise between the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which had recommended 10 feet, and an unnamed political appointee in the Trump administration who called 10 feet “inoperable.”
lmao
rofl
oh my fucking god my sides
Did you not EVEN read the VERY FIRST BULLET POINT?

>> No.15884291

>>15884275
You're just being a troll at this point, but I'll entertain it.

My post:
>>15884115
>six feet of distance means nothing if enclosed in a small enclosed space
Supported by MIT early in 2021.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/27/health/covid-spread-inside-wellness/index.html

My post:
>>15884188
>Six feet is made up.

Also my post:
>>15884255
>It's an arbitrary number
>based on how far mucus droplets tend to fly

Supported by the former head of the FDA.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/graisondangor/2021/09/19/cdcs-six-foot-social-distancing-rule-was-arbitrary-says-former-fda-commissioner/?sh=3ff0d3cee8e6
>Both the 10-foot and six-foot recommendations were unfounded, said Gottlieb, and show “the lack of rigor” in how the CDC made public health recommendations.
>The six-foot rule was “probably the single costliest recommendation that [the] CDC made,” Gottlieb said, because “the whole thing feels arbitrary and not science based,” which lowers public confidence.
>Many people assume the rule traces to “some old studies” on the flu, which found droplets won’t travel further than six feet, Gottlieb said—though research has since shown that Covid-19 can be spread through aerosols, which have the potential to travel many times further than droplets.

But no, you're obviously smarter than the head of the FDA.

>> No.15884301

>>15884275
>The six-foot rule, Gottlieb said, was a compromise between the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which had recommended 10 feet, and an unnamed political appointee in the Trump administration who called 10 feet “inoperable.”
Um...your quote states that those organizations wanted those distances. Surely you have a source stating why? What were they basing their recommendations on?

>> No.15884314

>>15884291
>You're just being a troll at this point
Says the guy simultaneously claiming it's arbitrary, then lists a reason, then cites a source explaining why the preferred alternative wasn't chosen DUE TO the president at the time.
In the bin you go.
>>15884301
>Um...your quote states that those organizations wanted those distances. Surely you have a source stating why? What were they basing their recommendations on?
But I thought you were very smart and educated people on this topic? What, suddenly you realize you didn't ever bother to look it up before?

>> No.15884344

>>15884314
>Says the guy simultaneously claiming it's arbitrary
Correct.
>Gottlieb said, because “the whole thing feels arbitrary and not science based,”
He literally said arbitrary, I literally said arbitrary, but I guess using the words of the head of the FDA is a no-no. You walked into this, honestly. It's hilarious because you claim others don't do research, but you obviously had no fucking idea what you were talking about.

>then lists a reason
No, that's not their reason. Nowhere has it ever been stated that it's their reason (prove me wrong if you have a source, but I'm sure you'll just make another trollish remark instead of giving a link). The public or media came up with that being a plausible reason, but covid's been known to spread through the air since early 2020.
>Many people assume the rule traces to “some old studies” on the flu
>Many people
See, he didn't say that was the reasoning used by scientists. They couldn't even agree if it should be six feet or ten feet. Where the hell did the ten feet come from? They weren't basing it on anything except a small, easy to remember number.

>then cites a source explaining why the preferred alternative wasn't chosen
You mean why one arbitrary distance wasn't chosen instead of another arbitrary distance? I'm still waiting for YOUR source showing me where the six feet came from. And your million dollars.

>> No.15884347

>>15884314
>But I thought you were very smart and educated people on this topic?
For someone supposedly on the side of non-narcissists, you sure do come across as having the dark personality trait.

>> No.15884428

>>15884050
>Conservatives are narcissists
yeah what else is new

>> No.15884429

>>15884347
It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. One of the most common things people with dark triad traits do is gaslight others that they're the ones with narcissism/BPD/etc. He accuses the people he doesn't like of having the condition that drives his beliefs.

>> No.15884586

>>15884050
Your pride really won't let you admit you were wrong about covid, will it?

>> No.15884594

>>15884211
>37 posts
>11 IPs

>> No.15884601
File: 197 KB, 418x315, wat.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15884594
You that upset I'm not feeding you?

>> No.15885208

>>15884050
>yet another observational study
The most narcisistic people I know are still using masks