[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 21 KB, 400x400, 1690773816935684.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15739278 No.15739278 [Reply] [Original]

YOu nkow how we are told you can technically travel in time by going really really fast? like if you take two twin brothers, put one of them in a jet and make it fly across the earth for a while at top speed, then when he comes back he is apparently a bit younger than the brother who stayed stationary.
Never understood how the fuck that works. Im not a /sci/ faggot day to day but this peaked my interest, so i went on youtube and searched how relativity works but i was baffled by how fucking retarded the explanations were.

One of them went like this, listen:
>imagine einstein is on a train going away from a clocktower
>einstein is sitting in the back and looking at the clock as he is going away from it
>every second the long clock arm moves
>as the train speeds up it takes longer and longer for the light of the tower to reach einstein
>einstein thought to himself if he was going the speed of light then the light from the clocktower would never reach him therefor time wouldn't move for him
wHAT??? is einstein a fucking retard? no it fucking wouldn't you dumb fuck? you just wouldn't see it but it wouldn't slow down???

and then the video went like "this is because the speed of light is constant". OK??? so?? still doens't make sense
and then it tried to explain is again with a second example:
>okay imagine you are wearing a watch which has two mirrors inside of
>between the mirrors is a photon that is constantly going back and forth between the mirrors
>the photon is going at the speed of light, C, back and forth between the mirrors
>now imagine you jump out of a plane while you're holding your hand out vertically
>now because you're going downwards actually the path of the photon is LONGER
>because its longer the only explanation is time is slowing down
niGGER WHAT!? doesn't that prove the opposite? that time isn't constant. WHy in the fucking fuck wuld you assume its TIME slowing down rather than just the speed of light not being constant?

>> No.15739285

>>15739278
Choice of fixed point is arbitrary but choosing the speed of light as your fixed point is useful.

>> No.15739288

>>15739285
wouldn't it be more useful to choose time as fixed

>> No.15739295

>>15739288
Not really, there's still a rectification required either way, and you would still need a fixed point in space. The benefit of using the speed of light as a fixed point is that it's a function of both time and space so fixes both.

>> No.15739299

>>15739295
i still dont get it
why isn't time fixed inherently?

What do you mean we only have to choose one arbitrary fixed point and then everything else can be non fixed? Time IS fixed

>> No.15739301

>>15739278
It's a theory. All 'proofs' in Physics are strictly practical. You cannot prove it on paper. What you watched are explanations. Read some experimental papers on the subject for proof

>> No.15739310

>>15739301
just seem kind of a crazy leap of faith. I mean i get that things like gravity is also just a theory, but that stuff infinitely more intuitive than saying time is relative.

Do we really have no concrete experiment or proof that time isn't fixed? Do we really just exclaim that "TIME IS RELATIVE" because the equations happen to work out?

>> No.15739321
File: 79 KB, 1440x679, IMG_2548.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15739278
okay you seem like someone that’s already made up their mind against relativity in principle but on the off chance you’re still curious this video is the best explanation of special relativity that I’ve seen as someone who finds the concept to be intuitive
https://youtu.be/CS7aLVHpeTs?si=VZGRhJnt9uV2-Ov2
the thing you need to understand, and I recommend just reading Einstein’s book titled “Relativity” is that all of this is just a theoretical framework. nobody knows what “light” is or how fast it moves, but people have built frameworks to schematize and predict the behavior of objects in the world. prior to Einstein, we had classical mechanics, a theory based on things which people plainly observe in every day life i.e. objects falling to the ground when we let go of them. as simple as that is, Newton actually derived quite a few accurate predictions about the way things ought to move. Einstein, on the other hand, derived a theory of motion based on things that were being experimentally proven in the field of electrodynamics. so unlike classical mechanics (which takes for granted that the reader understands that objects fall down, and that objects of different masses and different speeds carry different force) relativity takes for granted that the reader has some basic understanding of electrodynamics (which most people do not).

anyways the point is that “time” doesn’t literally slow down, and “space” doesn’t literally contract, it just *appears* that way depending on the speed of the observer and Einstein set about establishing a variable which very explicitly does not “appear” to change regardless of the motion of any observer, and that’s how you end up with spacetime.

anyways, you’ll probably reply with some antisemitic non sequitur so I wouldn’t worry too much about it if you don’t understand it. unless you’re a professional physicist all of this is just intellectual masturbation

>> No.15739345

>>15739310
Special relativity is not a complete theory on it's own and so it's avenues of tests are contrived. General Relativity is the whole package and it has been verified hundreds of time with astronomical data. But even special relativity is pretty often used in Particle colliders because of it's observable effect on particles travelling at speed close to light's

>> No.15739526

>>15739299
>why isn't time fixed inherently?
Why would it be? A month's wait to an adult is shorter than a week's wait to a child.

>> No.15739556

>>15739278
>niGGER WHAT!? doesn't that prove the opposite? that time isn't constant. WHy in the fucking fuck wuld you assume its TIME slowing down rather than just the speed of light not being constant?
thats only possible if aether exists

>> No.15739776

>>15739278
Everything moves on spacetime at speed of light c, every single thing. That c comes from taking coordinates on the speed vector and calculating its modulus on space time coordinates (x,y,z,t) on a given basis. If you are not moving then thats (0,0,0,c) and square root of c squared is c. Whenever you move the modulus has to stay constant (we dont know why but it happens and experience says its the case) so any increassing on the other three coordinates has to reduce the speed on the time coordinate t, hence time goes slower. C being a big ass number makes such that normal speeds like a couple miles per hour substract little to nothing from c. In that case the framework is extremely close to newtons one, to the point in wich we can say its true.

Best way i have found to explain it even though its trash. Relativity is not from einstein btw

>> No.15739782

>>15739278
>prove to me the speed of light is constant and relativity is real
GPS moron, they have their clocks adjusted because time ticks at a different rate for them being higher up in the Earths gravity well. if they didn't make these adjustments you'd start losing positioning precision pretty fast

>> No.15739848

>>15739278
"Space" and "time" are just measurements, and the results of those measurements are dependent on relative velocity and gravitational potential. The speed of light changing is not something that we measure in any reference frame, therefore we say that the speed of light is constant.
If something else is happening, we can't observe it. Maybe photons are unicorns, but if we can't see those unicorns then it means nothing to us.

>> No.15740014
File: 5 KB, 220x129, soyence cringe.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>da speeeeddeee of lite!!!
>dat theeereee of relavibuttty!!!
>muh oinstoin!!!