[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 41 KB, 341x330, earth.jpg.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1555470 No.1555470 [Reply] [Original]

Ok, lets say there are two worlds, one embraces science and the other one religion.
Give me your opinion what will happen to them.

>> No.1555478

They will troll each other on 4chan

>> No.1555481

the first one would do Boom
other bump

>> No.1555483

The one that embraces religion will develop and perfect science.

The one that embraces science will destroy itself with anger, hatred, intemperance and sin.

>> No.1555487

The science world dies through either nuclear war or homosex. The religious world gets on with life.

>> No.1555489

Science world would conquer religion world.
The natives, unable to cope with the new paradigm would worship their conquerors as living gods.

>> No.1555493

The science one well travel the universe and discover new things, the one with religion will stay in the dark ages.

>> No.1555494

War

On one side, Richard Dawkins and thousands of pasty hipsters

One the other, US presidents and millions of rednecks

>> No.1555506

>>1555494
would make an epic movie
amirite?

>> No.1555507

>>1555494
What about the civilians who reckon everyone should shut up about religion or the lack thereof and enjoy life? Are we the real casualties of this war?

>> No.1555513

Aliens arrive and go "Shit, you guys really give a shit about what other people think about this? Fuck you, figure out immortality and 100% efficient energy transferal for yourselves."

I know I've made a typo but I can't figure out what it is.

>> No.1555517

The science world would prosper, and not have war over such menial things such as false deities.
The religion world would sit in the medieval ages and war with itself for centuries, until one religion would win, then they would rule over the other slaves. Other religions would crop up and spawn followers and the whole process would begin again until the science world came over and liberated them.

>> No.1555523

>>1555517
Liberating fanatics is one cause of the whole Middle-East thing. Just leave them, but welcome refugees and make sure transport is available for people that wish to migrate.

>> No.1555527

>>1555478
>>1555478
>>1555478
>>1555478
>>1555478
>>1555478
/thread

>> No.1555528

wow, so much bullshit in this thread

For One thing, science has caused the worst wars in human history (world war 1 and 2) and not religion. these wars had nothing to do with religion, in fact ww2 was about EUGENICS. YES THATS RIGHT SCIENCE.

Science has caused more problems in the world than anything (hacking, guns shooting people, cars running people over, exploding gas pipes)

>> No.1555539

>>1555528
Whatever, now get off the science board.

>> No.1555540

>>1555528
oh god!.....the trolling in that post...it..hurts.

>> No.1555543

>>1555470
A fair point, but what if the religious peoples of the religious world that science world take in start to infect science world with its corruption?

>> No.1555544

>>1555528
And most of those scientists where, guess what, RELIGIOUS!

>> No.1555548

>>1555528
>whatthefuckamireading.jpg

>> No.1555549

>>1555544
Sure. That guy was totally serious. Now you can fuck off too.

>> No.1555553

>>1555470

not enough information

what kind of religion?
embrace science to what ends?

what is the nature of these species.

what's their evolutionary history?

what behavioral tendencies did they evolve?

>> No.1555561

>>1555553
This could be fun. I love evolutionary psychology

>> No.1555573

What will happen? You can see on television what happens. The religious start to kill the secular (scientists), and then the scientists bomb the religious to hell.

>> No.1555570

>>1555553 op here...
Both humans, but the one with science have evolved to a point they are very skeptical about anything and the religious one evolved to have more faith and trust in there religion.
Lets say monotheism any kind, probably muslim or christian.

>> No.1555588

>>1555570
What are the guiding principles of the Skeptics civilization? Is it global or does it contain nation states?

Also have the Believers developed science? What level of technology do they exist at? What type of government?

>> No.1555593
File: 14 KB, 464x123, sshot-10.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well, are the ones embracing science atheists? If so there will be mass genocide like under stalin, mao, or pol pot.

>> No.1555606

For fucks sake, get out of here. This is a fucking science board, we don't need any more retarded debates about this crap. I'm sure you're all going to continue, but before you do, could someone explain what you gain from these retarded flame wars?

>> No.1555612

>>1555593
Well if they were religious they would be on the other planet where groups like Hitler or the Catholic Church would start genocides of their own.

>> No.1555616

>>1555588
both have nations, science world is a little more adv. obviously.
science world use the scientific methods on mostly everything.
both democratic oligarchies.
>>1555593
The once in the science world are naturalist but still skeptical about god.

>> No.1555617

>>1555553
Hmmm....
>>1555555

>> No.1555620

>>1555616
one* i mean

>> No.1555626

Science planet will leave religion planet alone. Religion planet will steal science planet's technology and use it to blow up science planet.

>> No.1555637

Is anyone else sick of these threads?

>> No.1555640

>>1555570
That's simple. There is little difference until the information age, then there is a deviation. The science civilization begins experimenting with genetic engineering and human machine synthesis. Eventually they develop the tech to the point they can digitally encode their brains and live as machines. Only the wealthy elite can afford this tech, so the rest of humanity is wiped out or kept as pets while the elites go on to a technological singularity(since the civilization never acquired Christian/Jewish/Muslim mores regarding kindness/charity/community that led to the modern concepts of social equality)

The religious civilization on the other hand wipes out all those who disagree with their sect and then go on to live in an advanced and prolonged (compared to the science civilization) information age before inventing advanced AI that shares their ideals. After which they are either destroyed by this AI for not living up to their own ideology or treated to eternal paradise by an AI the wishes to serve the will of God by serving the will of his
beloved.

>> No.1555644

op here..
none have the capability of space travel yet, i was just wondering hypothetically how they would develop.

>> No.1555649

>>1555616
Then there is no difference.

>> No.1555653

Best case from their own point of view :
- The first one become a immortal Kardashev's civilization type 6 and unlock the key of the multiverse.
- The second one keep the same dogma and stay on the same tech level eternally, waiting for whatever rapture their religions predicted.

Worst case (from their point of view again)
- The first one grow complacent, cupid and some of them use human flaw/credulity to start sect for their own profit.
- Because of curiosity and the need to survive the second will question their faith and see the rise of reason and logic, people abandon church for technology and it's comfort. (The actual world)

Alternate case :
- The first one evolve slowly because it have to deal with people who don't understand the scientific method and prefer to "believe" in pseudoscience.
- the second one's dogma will fade, be reinterpreted several time and invent incredibly complicated and crazy explanation to profit from technology without letting reality contradict their religion. Then they meet Xenos and end up looking like Warhammer 40.000.

"In the grim darkness of this future, there is only war"

>> No.1555654

>>1555528
>For One thing, science has caused the worst wars in human history (world war 1 and 2) and not religion. these wars had nothing to do with religion, in fact ww2 was about EUGENICS. YES THATS RIGHT SCIENCE.

Lern2history. WW2 was about fanatic racism and the desire to conquer the world... which has been around long before anyone ever tried a scientific experiment

>> No.1555655

>>1555649
little differences change civilizations widely

>> No.1555668

>>1555654
you have an overly simplistic view and probably understanding of history

>> No.1555666

If history is of any guidance the advanced civilization will fuck everything up.

It depends on your definition of religion though. Progressive religion or fundamental??

100% science will prevail

>> No.1555665

Religious world: Religious wars break out. Same shit that humanity always does happens.

Scientific world: Wars break out based around something. Same shit humanity always does happens.

Humans don't need religion, we're innately dicks.

>> No.1555685

>>1555668
only reason hitler hated jews was because of the catholic church :p

>> No.1555686

>>1555668
Or you are really hoping that science can be as evil as the rape-happy slave-loving god you admire. Religion, darwinism and any other excuse that humans use to commit atrocities is just that... an excuse. Even your god isn't responsible for any real atrocities... he's just a scapegoat that people use to justify the fact that they are capable of monstrous things. Unless you actually believe that the events of the bible are real... in which case your god is a true monster.

>> No.1555726

>>1555686
i'm not religious bucko. I'm pointing out that you're ignorant of history.

you mad?

The monster comment is logically inconsistent on your part. I there is no God than morality is subjective meaning no ones actions are "monstrous". If there is a God then he defines right and wrong and therefore cannot be a "monster".

You really work your self up into a religious fervor when talking about how much you hate religion, eh?

>> No.1555727

>>1555685
lol

AND BECAUSE LIKE HE WERE JEALOUS OF THEM AND STUFF CAUSE LIKE THEY GOT THE PUSSY!111!!!1111!!1!

>> No.1555742

>>1555726
I've already said, religion is just an excuse. It's a book of stories and feel-good messages. I don't hate them anymore than I hate any other set of fairy tales (many of which are just as horrific... read the brothers Grimm sometime). What I hate is the atrocities that people commit with religion as an excuse. Assassinating doctors, mass killings, witch hunts, torture... monstrous acts justified personally by their belief in imaginary things. I'm appalled that it doesn't bother you in the least.

>> No.1555752

>>1555742

>I don't hate them(religions) anymore

>What I hate is the atrocities that people commit with religion as an excuse.

>Assassinating doctors, mass killings, witch hunts, torture... monstrous acts justified personally by their belief in imaginary things.

So why not just say you hate "atrocities "?

I'm sorry I'm not buying it. I'm still gonna have to call butthurt on religion.

>I'm appalled that it doesn't bother you in the least.

quit trying to force your morality down my throat fanatic

>> No.1555755

>>1555726
> I there is no God than morality is subjective meaning no ones actions are "monstrous".

Why? I mean, why can't we humans collectively decide morality? Is morality some abstract notion so profound our minds are unable to fathom it? Or are we so driven by self-interest that we are incapable of being 'good' on our own?

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW

>> No.1555761

Planet /sci/ develops into singularity.

Planet /rel/ worship the posthuman gods from Planet /sci/.

>> No.1555770

>>1555752
>So why not just say you hate "atrocities "?
Because I don't just hate bad actions, I hate excuses. If you're going to do something horrific, at least fess up and admit you're a total dick. Don't say "God said I should" or "it was for the sake of the master race."

I'm sorry I'm not buying it. I'm still gonna have to call butthurt on religion.

>quit trying to force your morality down my throat fanatic
No point trying to give morality to a sociopath. If you're fine with immoral actions like mass murder and torture for whatever reason, then there's no point in trying to teach any sort of morality to you, now is there?

>> No.1555785

>>1555755
sure you can come of with a set rules and call them "morality" but why should we follow them?
Because a certain group of humans say we should?
Wait that already happens it's called religion.

Humans are free to come up with whatever set of "morals" they like but they are meaningless and subjective.

>> No.1555788

>>1555770
> If you're fine with immoral actions like mass murder and torture for whatever reason, then there's no point in trying to teach any sort of morality to you, now is there?

IN DURING SLIPPERY SLOPE. "You're ok with x, therefore you'll be ok with y which is worse, and z which is even worse."

"Acceptance of subset of actions of group A implies acceptance of all elements of group A."

>> No.1555796

>>1555785
> Humans are free to come up with whatever set of "morals" they like but they are meaningless and subjective.

a) Why are they meaningless?
b) If a group agrees unanimously on a set of morals, but does not ascribe the source of the morals to an external force, it is neither individually subjective nor a religion.

>> No.1555799

>>1555788
You stated you were okay with doctor assassinations, torture, witch hunts and mass killings... because saying they were wrong was "shoving my morality down your throat". I never added anything to that list, I just said that there's no point in bringing up morality to someone who doesn't think they are wrong. Your own words.

>> No.1555805
File: 11 KB, 356x275, 1265581961357.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

NO SCIENCE VS RELIGION THREADS, YOU'RE FUCKING UP THE BOARD

>> No.1555809

>>1555799

Actually, I'm an entirely different anonymous. I'm not ok with those things unless you have a really good justification for a specific instance...but that qualifies for the 'for whatever reason' item.

>> No.1555815

>>1555770

>Because I don't just hate bad actions, I hate excuses

then why single out religion? oh that's right hysterical butt hurt.

>bad actions

no such thing. there are actions that are effective in achieving their intended goal and actions that are ineffective. For someone that hates religion so much you're big on proclaiming moral authority on right and wrong.

>No point trying to give morality to a sociopath.

argument from moral authority again?

task tsk. Did anybody ever tell you that you'd make a fine Christian fundamentalist?
I know you don't have the introspection or self honesty to admit to your zealotry.

It probably hurts too. Wanting to pretend your the stoic
individual of truth and reason when in reality you can barely contain your irrationality. It's ok though. Not everybody was meant to be intelligent and logical.

>> No.1555823

>>1555815
> Not everybody was meant to be intelligent and logical.

I BEG TO DIFFER.

>> No.1555829

>>1555796
ah, so if tomorrow all Christian groups in America dropped god and said "you know what we just hate queers and wish to deny them civil rights" then it becomes a universal moral truth? good to know.

>> No.1555834

>>1555829

For those groups. 'Universal' is rather tenuous a notion in the context of humanity.

>> No.1555838

GOD DAMN IT STOP REPLYING TO THIS SHIT, IT'S NOT SCIENCE RELATED

>> No.1555843

>>1555834
even so. If you could get all 6 billion people on earth to decide x as immoral i could change my mind tomorrow and decide that it wasn't. Your morality is no more universal than Christian fundamentalist morality. The only differences is it's yours.

>> No.1555848

>>1555838

EVERYTHING IS SCIENCE-RELATED

EVERYTHING

>> No.1555851
File: 133 KB, 550x413, whatthefuckman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1555848

Get the fuck out of here and make your religion threads on /r9k/ or /b/. This board is for discussing science and math, if you don't know anything about science or math that's not my fault.

>> No.1555862

>>1555851

You don't understand. I'm saying that everything fundamentally boils down to being applied mathematics, the purest science.

>> No.1555869

>>1555815

>No point trying to give morality to a sociopath.

>No point trying to give religion to a heathen.

>> No.1555874

>>1555869
There I fix'd it for you religiousfag

>> No.1555880

>>1555874

> >No morality trying to give religion to a sociopath.

fix'd further

>> No.1555881
File: 476 KB, 825x1600, 1281065041147.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1555815
>>1555752

>> No.1555900

>no point in bringing up morality to someone who doesn't think they are wrong.

So you know right from wrong?

Tell me what gave you this authority?

I hate the hypocrisy of religious nutjobs such as yourself.

>> No.1555923

Religious planet would live in peace and develop technology.
The scientific one will realize once there is nobody religious anymore they need other groups to attack and will destroy themselves.

>> No.1555987

>>1555923
other way around

>> No.1556082

>>1555987

The scientific one will realize once there is nobody religious anymore they need other groups to attack and will destroy themselves.
Religious planet would live in peace and develop technology.

fix'd for you

>> No.1556133

Religious planet will realize there is nobody religious anymore and will destroy technology.
The scientific one would live in peace and develop other groups once they need to attack themselves.

>> No.1556186

Religious planet will live and nobody will realize themselves.
The scientific one would develop and destroy other technology in peace once groups they need to attack anymore there is religious.

>> No.1556214

>>1555987
Themselves destroy will and attack to groups other need they anymore religious nobody is there once realize will one scientific the.
Technology develop and peace in live would planet religious.

>> No.1556231

Religious planet would need to develop technology once they realize nobody there is religious.
The scientific one themselves will attack will and destroy other peace and live in anymore groups.

>> No.1556238
File: 23 KB, 400x347, 6b2qftg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

science will win because it works - stephen hawkings

>> No.1556245

>>1555513
Your post is full of retard.