[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.51 MB, 801x1528, Christus Pantokrator.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15471040 No.15471040 [Reply] [Original]

Hello, fellow channers. I was a true atheist, until I started reading the old books about 2 years ago. I was baptized as an eastern orthodox Christian early on, but never really considered the Divine design as an option. Almost all of my friends (excluding the muslims and jews) think that The Bible is full of lies and misconception. My question is: Why do I feel excluded by my friend's every time I start talking about theology, etc..? Faith and science don't contradict each other imo. They just complement each other. Science operates with facts and faith operates with the incompletion of our own understanding. Christians are welcome. Thanks!

>> No.15471046

>>15471040
>My question is: Why do I feel excluded by my friend's every time I start talking about theology, etc..?
Lack of self confidence maybe, or you have a bad way of broaching and arguing for the topics. Evangelism by new believers is often very confused and disordered which is why it's not recommended until someone is more full in their knowledge of the faith.

>> No.15471047
File: 21 KB, 466x349, d29.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15471040
>Why do I feel excluded by my friend's every time I start talking about theology
Same for me for any science of any kind at all. They watch Discovery Channel, theyre basically Physicists, Geneticist, Mathematocians, Historians, Psychologists, Globe Trotters, and yes...Theologians too.

All of those from cursory television, haha, yeah, they are!

>> No.15471164

>>15471040
>faith and science complement each other
p much this.
most people dont see it this way.
a lot of people do though.

>> No.15471212

>>15471164
all science and philosophy originates in theology. i mean the creators language is literally mathematics.

>> No.15471234

>>15471040
Religion is only true to the extent that it explains aspects of reality, which then relies on painstaking theology and individual and communal striving. It's not even about filling in the gaps of science. Instead it's history, poetry, ethics, psychology, community, wisdom, motivation, etc, etc.

The big problem in Christianity is the theology is often *extremely* bad and very few people want to put any effort in, or when they do they risk getting crucified for saying anything contrary to the mob. Granted, Eastern Orthodox can be a lot better than other options. But even still, when the answer is that everything always comes back to the crucifixion or something like that then it's not going to work for a lot of issues.

The Bible has some extremely valuable works within in it, but most Christians never get through much of it, and so tend to only operate according to what they picked up socially or according to narrow instruction. Clearly this only goes so far in addressing the range of real issues in life. And when organized religion is working poorly in today's world then it's pretty rational to reject it along with the people attempting to spread it.

>> No.15471239

>>15471040
>god is real
ok. proof? oh you have none? ok bro come back when you have something.

>> No.15471307

>>15471234
>The big problem in Christianity is the theology is often *extremely* bad and very few people want to put any effort in, or when they do they risk getting crucified for saying anything contrary to the mob. Granted, Eastern Orthodox can be a lot better than other options. But even still, when the answer is that everything always comes back to the crucifixion or something like that then it's not going to work for a lot of issues.
Have you read any Christian theology at all? It's literally the only well-developed systematic theology in the world- and for good reason: it's the only religion from which logic necessarily emerges as a fundamental aspect of God (e.g. through the Logos). If you knew what passes for scholarship in the Eastern religions you'd be begging to read Aquinas again.

>> No.15471377

>>15471307
Well I wasn't saying that no impressive work exists. Aquinas was an insane genius (though all the more difficult to transpose into pragmatic tenets today).
When I mentioned theology I meant it as its popular contemporary instantiation. Largely what is being conveyed now is terrible because it fails to address certain audiences and their relevant needs, and that's why asking a smart person what they think about Christianity has a high chance of negative response.
With respect to the East, it was a nod to OP that he's not in a bad place. Sure, the old texts get obsessed with solitary life and demons, and more basal aspects, but what gets conveyed in the religious practice has a way of naturally integrating and unpopular positions are more acceptable. The Western capacity for logical analysis is good, but isn't everything. The fruits of that are part of what led to scientism on one side and irrelevant religious dogmatism on the other. Arguably, a "true" theology brings with it flexibility and practicality within a coherent framework--that in turn is much harder to deny by would-be opponents. Basically that's why ridiculous characters like Jordan Peterson, a self-described pragmatist, end up with so much sway over religious issues--because the practiced Christian theology had become so irrelevant to so many people.

>> No.15471879

have you read nassim taleb's essay on christianity?
>https://medium.com/incerto/on-christianity-b7fecde866ec
his view is that religions can be actually very rational and that it's possible to be both a scientist and be a religious person at the same time

>> No.15471958

>>15471040
How is your question answerable by us? Ask your friends retard. As for your last assertation, I agree with. There is a reason god gave us the superpower of cognitive dissonance.