[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 21 KB, 200x225, 1269300693512.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1545579 No.1545579 [Reply] [Original]

/sci/
requesting your appraisal here.
You may wish to consider muting the video, the guy's really fkning annoying.
Nonetheless, please evaluate what you think is happening here, and conjecture some explanations that aren't horribly alarming, if you would.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo5cgGTy9LU&feature=related

My first thought was a minor earthquake, but the timing seems far too coincidental...
What say you /sci/?

>> No.1545612

HHHHHNNNNGGGG
just watch the 2 minute video dammit.

>> No.1545630

huh... atfirst it looks like it is the machine (the camera) that is moving down and not the ground up, but then I don't know what happens... do you know WHY that machine was probing there?

>> No.1545637

My bet is on methane eruption. The gas was attached to the seafloor below the thin layer of dust. Some disturbance caused a localized layer to detach from the bottom, which in turn caused a chain reaction that resulted in what is visible in video.

>> No.1545642

Fucking idiot. I lol'd

captcha: 61 crumble?

OMG END OF ZE WORULD

>> No.1545645

As the commenters said, as as I thought at the time, it's just the rover tilting down, lowering to poke the bottom, the lifting back op once it's done. The cloud of dirt is caused by the rov hitting the bottom.

>> No.1545665

>>1545645
>its the rover tilting

that's clearly not the case, you can see the rise of a "bubble" of sea floor that's localized in contrast to the sea "horizon".

>>1545630
no, I haven't found any other videos with this footage aside from the Prophecy psychotic

>> No.1545690

> "This is absolute proof right here that there is something disastrous about to take place."
> "I don't know what it's doing."
Holy unfounded speculation, Batman.

My guess? Cthulhu has awakened.

Seriously, it looks more like the ROV tilted than the sea floor lifted. That's why all the dust around the ROV, but not much in the distance.

>> No.1545700

It's the camera moving. Please go back to /x/

>> No.1547044

OH snap. back several hours later, turns out confirmed 3.0 earthquake in event recorded.

what now basic visual misnomer fags?