[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 13 KB, 225x226, hyhy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15396970 No.15396970 [Reply] [Original]

anyone here in university, that never shows up to classes or lectures and just sigma grinds it at home? how do i pull such a feat?

>> No.15397234

>>15396970
I did this for one of my classes because the syllabus and homework assignments were all made available ahead of time.

>> No.15397343

>>15396970
if youre too lazy to show up for class, you wont study in your free time (for most people).

>> No.15397369

only works some of the time, can't recommend, will likely end poorly

>> No.15397375

>>15396970
You must go to a low-ranked state school if your professor allows this. Mine required attendance and they would know if you were gone.

>> No.15397389

>>15396970
>that never shows up to classes or lectures and just sigma grinds it at home?
Detention is where I learned in school. Grind in the Pen., fuck the system.

>> No.15397456

>>15396970
its possible yeah. i think its a good idea for gen eds but not for higher level classes within your department. professors see it as a cocky move and it can hurt your relationship with them, especially in smaller(<20) class sizes. establishing good relationships with professors can open up a lot of doors if you are inclined towards research or further education. imo if the professor doesn't impress you, class is probably not worth it, but make sure youre giving them a fair shot.
you can learn interpersonal skills by going to class and interacting with people. e.g., you can learn how to present difficult ideas to groups of people by watching a skilled lecturer present. you can also ask them complex questions and get answers more rapidly and with greater nuance than you would from the internet. treat them like you would treat a GPT-5 that is limited to a few question per class. sharing in good rapport with the lecturer reinforces concepts you have self-taught and is a way you establish yourself as having high value amongst your peers, but don't be pretentious about it.

basically, you are paying for access to a learning resource - the professor - so it would be kind of retarded to not use it to your advantage.

>>15397375
>Mine required attendance and they would know if you were gone
i didn't know day cares were handing out degrees these days, damn

>> No.15397525

>>15396970
This never worked for anyone. Even geniuses like Bill Gates couldn't pull it off. University is not about learning, it's about figuring out what will be on the test and optimizing for that. If you study on your own, 90% of what you learn will be a complete waste of time and will never be on the exam.

>> No.15397532
File: 194 KB, 1154x1200, D0gsnAWU0AAYsh8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15397525
>Even geniuses like Bill Gates
You got me...ok? It still rustled me. I know its bait but that doesnt matter. I know "that guy" exists and he truly believes that shit.

>> No.15397573

>>15396970
I did this for one class, "Computer Networking" one day, I decided I should probably show up to see when the midterm exam would be. Walk in, everyone is quiet, scribbling away... they were taking the midterm. Took the test with no prep, 100%. I could have received the same sore at 15 years old. Didn't bother turning up again until the final, but I was worried it might actually become more difficult. So I read the entire textbook in one sitting with copious amounts of red bull and rockstar energy drinks. Slept for an hour, aced the final, nothing in the textbook was even asked.

I don't recommend doing this, unless you already know the material prior to starting the course. Nowadays I certainly wouldn't be able to read an entire textbook in one sitting, let alone at night, but when you're younger such things are possible.

>> No.15398981

Ive been doing this for my math classes this year. My analysis and algebra sequences generally follow the textbook verbatim. Lectures are recorded online even if they werent. Its usually my GE courses that forxe attendance.

>> No.15400834

1. check the schedule ahead of time to see when there are mandatory stuffs and tests

2. look at the lecture slides and try to explain them, if you cannot explain something try to look it up in a book they mentioned somewhere or google or chatGPT

3. After you went through the lecture slides, try to solve some exercises

4. Finally try to find an example test and make sure you know everything

Only problem is you can get lonely, depressed and unmotivated easily