[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 46 KB, 400x300, primaryvoltage.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1538341 No.1538341 [Reply] [Original]

College experiences, friends.
Anyone can input, including engineers. Say what college you went to, what degree you got, how the college was, how easily you could get work after, etc.
I can't comment myself, I'm trying to get some idea of what I should do. I'm looking at Auckland Uni as it's the best in New Zealand, but I have rich enough family to go to a really good US university if I get in (I won't). It's not worth going to an average one.

Pic unrelated, from my IGCSE notes.

>> No.1538350

>Phd in mathematics
>any job i want
>300k starting

>> No.1538352

>>1538350
Right. Now that's over and done with, has anyone here actually gone to college?

>> No.1538377

Eh, fuck. Is Purdue any good?

>> No.1538407

Mathfag here. (non-PhD)

In my last quarter working towards a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics, University of Washington. 2.5 weeks left. Coursework was pretty easy, except for topology, which is raping my brain a new one. Liberal arts classes were a joke. Campus is pretty, especially in the summer. Looking for a job as an actuary. Job market looks okay.

9/10. Would go to college again.

ReCaptcha: the parables

>> No.1538421

>>1538407
If you would go to college again, why not continue with graduate education? Also, would you count history as under liberal arts? Because history is the only subject I like other than maths and physics.

>> No.1538423

>>1538377

purdue is a god tier engineering school and while I've never been to that part of the US I hear it is one of the better parts and the people I've met from there have been cool, my roommate for a couple years was from Indianapolis and we had some good times.

I got a bachelors in EE at a decent engineering school (ranked 20-25 most of the time) and it was quite difficult, actually even getting in to the engineering program is the most selective major at that college. So some of the best talent at the school is in engineering and still there were quite a few people dropping out or switching majors because they couldn't keep their grades up.

Once you graduate though, at least in the US, an EE bachelors is pretty much a guaranteed decent job. And most other engineering fields are pretty similar.

>> No.1538437

>>1538423
Okay, so Purdue is god-tier engineering and average in other subjects? Fuck, it's so hard to find a decent comparison of universities internationally, it would be so much easier if I were living in the US.

>> No.1538443

>>1538421

I thought pretty seriously about grad school, and did pretty well on my graduate record exam (GRE). But I don't think I'd enjoy continuing in math. I liked college and don't regret my choice to go, but I feel that a masters in something I really like would just be a waste of money.

Yeah, I'd call history a liberal art. I got through college without any history, but I probably would have enjoyed it.

>> No.1538477

I'd go to Melbourne if I were you. Much better for engineering than Auckland, and a much more vibrant gay community.

>> No.1538483

Junior year CSE (Computer Science and Engineering) student. I went into this because I couldn't decide between CS and some form of engineering and just don't think I have the brains to double major. It's offered jointly by the engineering and computer science departments so I get access to opportunities provided for those who go to either department, but it's not as in depth. I plan to do CS for my MS though. My school is better for CS than engineering, however. I have no idea where to go for graduate school but I'm determined to do so and I'm already planning for it. The job market for both engineering and CS looks either fantastic or abysmal depending on who you ask, so by going for this hybrid major so that all my eggs don't end up in one basket.

>> No.1538511

>>1538341
Bro, You know what you should do. I'm from welly, go to fucking Massey. My brother is studying mechatronics there right now. I am still in year 12 I need to wait a year before i can go to real learning. From what I know of Massey, It has a pretty good engineering department but its science departments excluding chemistry could use some work.

>> No.1538514

>>1538443

bleh i took some ancient human history class at UW. it was right in between a math and a physics class and was way the fuck over in the art building in a 300 seat auditorium and yet I still had to basically run there and back to get a seat.

I sat at my computer with the myuw registration screen open trying to convince myself to drop that class more than once, but ended up finishing it because if I didn't I'd have to take a summer class.

>> No.1538519
File: 124 KB, 481x576, 1279541931128.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

University is for faggots. Live life the hard way.

>> No.1538540

>>1538514
Real history (last 200 years or so, internationally) is interesting. It's very useful for understanding politics today, seeing it all replicated in the past.

>> No.1538542

>>1538511
You doing NCEA or CIE?

>> No.1538579

So glad I'm British... I want do a mathematics degree not a fucking half mathematics half liberal arts and whatever other shit they force you to take degree.

>> No.1538591

Man, /sci/ is slow. Bampu

>> No.1538598

>>1538542
NCEA Level 2 and I am getting straight merit =D. I hope to skip year 12 and jump straight to university but I doubt I will because I want to be an engineer.