[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 85 KB, 1200x1600, 684056457a.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1535751 No.1535751 [Reply] [Original]

i know i'm not on the scale and the calculus needs to be refined but here's the procedure [ with special thanks to induaris for his terraforming idea.]

we need a big ship to carry at least 2x4 modern nuclear missiles (peacekeepers or some SS-80 slav shit. you choose.) that's going to be the biggest part of the job, but not impossible.

once armed, the bomber/destroyers go on mars and enter its orbit. then the missiles are armed toward phobos. it will take for sure 4 of them to init the derivating, and 4 again to boost it down (all orbits ares whores.)

terraforming will take time but heat will keep increasing and uv's will not escape anymore. in ten years there will be several changes.

>> No.1535784

Does Mars even have enough atmosphere to support a greenhouse effect? Would the dust and gases just escape into space/sink back to the ground?

>> No.1535816
File: 19 KB, 1083x743, soronery.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1535784
yeah, it's not the moon. or pluto. the pros says it can be done and it's the only way. so better start soon or never it will be done.

>> No.1535838

>>1535784
To support an atmosphere, Mars first needs a magnetosphere. A large high-energy collision could liquify the entire planet, including the core, which would re-establish the magnetosphere, and the atmosphere would build up again.

The initial collisions that lead to its moons were not quite high-energy enough, leaving a small core that cool quickly and most the iron still in the crust. Earth got a big core, because the collision that expelled the moon melted everything very well, letting almost all the iron sink down.

Crashing phobos into mars would obviously release a lot of heat, but not enough to melt the core.

>> No.1535851 [DELETED] 
File: 555 KB, 1440x701, 1280650943635.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>implying implications

>> No.1535857

>>1535838

So we... crash the MOON into mars?

And, I thought Earth had a molten core and Mars didn't because Earth is simply bigger? Does Venus have a liquid core?

>> No.1535860

>>1535838
yeah i know, it's about using the metals on the core of the planet to create a nuclear reaction like on earth, venus and the average ones, but mars lacks of mass.

okay to crash deimos on it too, it's still an ugly one. but we're still far to have a sustainable reaction that will give it a real core.

we need drills on these warheads now.

>> No.1535867

>>1535857
>>1535838
From wiki:
venus has a molten core, but no magnetic field

>The principal difference between the two planets is the lack of plate tectonics on Venus, likely due to the dry surface and mantle. This results in reduced heat loss from the planet, preventing it from cooling and providing a likely explanation for its lack of an internally generated magnetic field.

>> No.1535874

WHAT WE NEED IS ANTIMATTER BOMBS.

THAT SHIT WON'T JUST LIQUIDIZE MARS' CORE, IT'LL BLAST THE ENTIRE FUCKING PLANET.

>> No.1535896

how about we take gas from Venus, which has to thick of an atmosphere and carry it over to mars which has to little, two planets for the price of one

>> No.1535915

>>1535857
No, it's not just because earth is bigger. Notice how Mars is red? That's because most of Mars's iron has stayed in its crust, whereas most of ours got moved to the core.

It's assumed that venus's core is solid, because it has virtually no global magnetosphere. It holds on to its atmosphere because all that's left of its atmosphere is the heavy stuff -- CO2 and H2SO4 -- which the solar wind presumably can't blow much of away.

>> No.1535927
File: 10 KB, 412x549, Myou Angry Because There Is No More Fucking Ice Creams.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1535874

mars doesn't even got a magnetic field... tssh. but venus has an atmosphere for sure. so wtf.

maybe it's just earth. earth is a totally fucked up planet and life here have never been exposed to cosmic rays usually filtered by van hallen's belt (on mars, it's supposed to be metallica's pants.) that's why we won't make it on a planet like mars with normal radiation levels.

we need an alternative.
what about using the destroyer and drop all the used fridges from earth on mars's atmosphere? cfc gas and coolants will do the job, what destroy earth could save mars, believe it!

>> No.1535933

>>1535896
PORTALS!

>> No.1535937

How about this instead:

Domes. On the surface. Connected by large travel tubes or underground tunnels. All shielded from radiation, naturally.

That or just straight-up underground living.

Though I would still love to see Phoebos crash into Mars, I don't think it very practical.

>> No.1535981

>>1535915
oh no no, venus's core is very liquid. It's hotter than the earths. It just has no magnetosphere because the rotation is incredibly slow (around 100 earth-days per venus-day).

Also, yes, crashing a moon into a planet would liquefy it, but it would be a magma ocean for hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of years.

Also I love the idea, because
>Solar system is born
>Earth and Mars have water
>Mars loses its atmosphere, loses water, gets cold
>Mighty Earth maintains atmosphere and water, laughs at Mars as it continues to spawn life
>Earth life goes and fucks up Mars, because fuck you Mars.

>> No.1535996
File: 53 KB, 2352x713, marssunsetcut.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you didn't know any better, you might even venture to say that this was a picture of a place on Earth.

Our sister in the solar system seems almost to beckon us. "If Earth, why not Mars." But make no mistake, it is a place just as inhospitable as the empty space that surrounds it. Nothing short of an indescribable miracle in engineering could result in Mars being hospitable to any more than a few humans.

The best we can and probably will ever do will be a small research base on mars.

>> No.1536012

>>1535996
Mars's atmosphere is less than 1% as dense as Earth's. Venus's atmosphere is about 100 times as dense as Earth's. We just need portals to transfer some air over.

>> No.1536013

>>1535981
haha yeah it's so small, and i'm watching our moon right at the moment..

now i see pics of phobos and deimosaHHAHAHAHAHAAHA oh wow.

poor mars.

i think i gotta sleep.

>> No.1536115

>>1535981
We have no way of measuring directly, but the lack of a magnetic field implies that the core of Venus is most likely solid. Even at its slow rotation it should have more of a magnetic field than it has at its speed of rotation.
http://www-ssc.igpp.ucla.edu/personnel/russell/papers/venus_mag/

We know that phobos wouldn't liquify mars, because the original impact that created phobos didn't completely liquify it, and crashing it now would be much lower energy than that impact.

>> No.1536121

OP, I don't really have any opinions about alternatives to terraforming Mars, the Van Halen belts or how ugly Phobos is, but did you consider detonating your thermonuclear bombs such that they will have a net force vector opposite of the direction of obit for Phobos?

Now if you do it the way I suggested, you are guaranteed that Phobos will at least skim the surface of Mars. So long as the object orbiting another object slows down enough to "fall" out of a higher orbit it will eventually collide with the orbited object.

Your diagram might actually move Phobos to a lower orbit, but also speed it up enough such that it will maintain that lower orbit. Probably not though.

Also, consider that the orbit is an ellipse, and how to control it to allow Phobos to deal maximum damage.

I actually think trying to optimize the destructive power of colliding a moon with a planet is more fun than this silly terra-forming shit. Who cares if its useful? Perfect the technique, then apply it everywhere.

>> No.1536135
File: 37 KB, 500x384, mitebcool.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1536121
>apply it everywhere.

>> No.1536137
File: 31 KB, 430x338, venus_202.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1536115
Actually, if you look at volcanoes on Venus, they give a pretty good indication that the mantle is liquid. On Venus, volcanoes often end up with these rings around them. We believe that this is caused by the volcano actually sinking into the crust after it becomes large, indicating that under the surface, Venus is liquid.

>> No.1536177

>>1535751
What about doing that to Deimos so it crashes into Phobos and takes them both down for good measure?

>> No.1536186

Mars doesn't have an atmosphere because it lacks gravity, not a magnetic field.

>> No.1536205
File: 175 KB, 4000x4000, ps.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1535751

HOW ABOUT WE TAKE THE PHOBOS

AND PUT IT OVER HERE, ON MARS

>> No.1536214

Also OP, what this guy said: >>1536121

>> No.1536213

>>1536186
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Mars

Possible causes for the depletion of a previously thicker martian atmosphere include:

* Catastrophic collision by a body large enough to blow away a significant percentage of the atmosphere

* Gradual erosion of the atmosphere by solar wind

* On-going removal of atmosphere due to electromagnetic field and solar wind interaction.

>> No.1536215
File: 503 KB, 2486x1914, 234234234.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1535996

>> No.1536245

>>1536137
Did you read the article?
http://www-ssc.igpp.ucla.edu/personnel/russell/papers/venus_mag/
"Venus appears to either lack the necessary internal ingredients (chemical or physical) for solid core formation, or to have ceased such processes at an earlier time if they resulted in complete core solidification or arrested core solidification. It is important to note that, contrary to popular belief, dynamo theory does not credit the smallness of the magnetic moment to the slow rotation of Venus"

There is probably a little liquid mantle left, as there is some evidence of active volcanism still on Venus (though almost all the volcanoes on Venus are extinct), but there can be liquid mantle left and a solid core, since the pressure is much greater at the core.

>> No.1536258

>>1536186
Mars definitely used to have an atmosphere, as it used to have liquid water oceans. Its gravity didn't change. Its magnetosphere did.

>> No.1536260

How about we crash a comet into mars? those have like h2o and carbon and amino acids and shit...

even better than crashing a giant potato into it

>> No.1536268

>>1536213
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_escape

It makes far more sense that Mars lacks an atmosphere due to gravity than due entirely to solar wind, or some major impact we have no evidence for, that left most of the surface intact and only stripped away the atmosphere.

The amount of atmosphere you can maintain is dependent on the temperature of the atmosphere, the gravity of the body, and interacting solar winds.

Titan for example, is slightly less massive than Mars, but dramatically colder and with an atmosphere composed of heavier elements, while being much further away from the sun and solar wind.

Thus, titan maintains a thick atmosphere, while mars does not.

You're welcome to do the math involved, the equations are all right there in the wiki article.

>> No.1536271

>>1536260
Or we could just crash both into it.

>> No.1536273

>>1536245
did YOU read the arcticle?
"One of these models has led to the hypothesis that the core of Venus may be completely solid or 'frozen' today, while others propose that core solidification has not yet commenced or has stopped at some time in the past"

So some models say the core has solidified, other models say that the core is still liquid.

So, we're both right I guess.

>> No.1536282

>>1536258
I never denied it having an atmosphere, only stated that it was lost over time due to the low gravity of the planet.

I'm curious though, what's the evidence for Mars having a diminishing magnetic field?

>> No.1536284

>>1536268
The magnetosphere deflects the solar wind.

>> No.1536296

>>1536282
mars's core used to be liquid, and when it was, it had a magnetic field. However, the core has cooled off and solidified over the past 4.5 billion years.

>> No.1536299

>>1536284
You don't say.

>> No.1536312

>>1536296
Alright, but can you tie that in directly with when Mars lost its atmosphere?

Is the timeframe the same, or is it "Mars loses atmosphere after 500 million years, mars loses magnetosphere after a billion years"

>> No.1536307

>4chan attempts astrophysics

Guys, we srsly need our own island nation covered in 4channers, then launch a crappy old soviet rocket, with several 'qualified' personal, and CRASH PHOBOS ON MARS

>> No.1536314

>>1536282
IIRC, we've measured the magnetic fields of iron-bearing rocks on Mars. More importantly, we know the iron core used to be molten and is now solid. A molten iron core of a spinning planet must necessarily create a magnetosphere.

>> No.1536322

>>1536312
No, we can't measure exactly when the atmosphere was lost. But we know for a fact that magnetosphere deflects solar wind, which erodes atmosphere, so what exactly are you arguing with?

>> No.1536323

>>1536314
So why don't we do that The Core shit and set off a couple nukes? that seems like it will work, just like everything else on this thead

>> No.1536325

... i saw this thread, and i came.

>> No.1536327

>>1536322
I'm arguing that the magnetosphere is not the major cause for mars not having a substantial atmosphere. That it is instead simply that the planet cannot maintain a large atmosphere due to its mass alone. The lack of a magnetosphere only compounds this.

>> No.1536367

>>1536327
But you (or someone) pointed out that Titan holds an atmosphere just fine with the same gravity. So gravity alone can't account for it.

>> No.1536378

>>1536367
the air on titian is much heavier and colder though

>> No.1536385

>>1536323
Because a couple nukes can melt no more than a few cubic miles of metal. So you'd need about a billion nukes. At least hundreds of millions.

>> No.1536390

>>1536367
No, as I mentioned in that post with Titan, it's not just gravity, it's also atmospheric temperature and interaction with the solar wind. If Mars were a lot colder, I'd argue it would still have a pretty thick atmosphere right now.

Anyways, Titan is not dramatically less massive than Mars, but it does have a MUCH colder atmosphere, and is located MUCH further away from the sun, AND has the benefit of Saturn's magnetosphere protecting it.

>> No.1537717

>>1536121
just gotta deal with ecologists, they're going to be our biggest break.

unless, idk, there's a better way to force mars's terraforming since it's hard to find a good magnetic shield.

unless we wire its surface with the equivalent of earth's DC power lines like an electromagnet...

>> No.1537737

>>1536121
>Van Halen belts
Consisting of particles of ionized HARDEST METAL

>> No.1537747
File: 2 KB, 126x117, 1277731774859.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>my face when I see this thread