[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 206 KB, 567x319, peter griffin.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15303791 No.15303791 [Reply] [Original]

Can someone explain to me the difference between mechanics and mechatronics? I always thought I liked mechanics better, but now I'm in doubt

>> No.15305647

>>15303791
mechatronics is an interesting practice, if not a useless degree.

basically you will do very simple programming on actuators, sensors and shit like that. think smart homes, internet of things and so on.

in the very high echelons of mechatronics engineers you might work on high precision industrial robots and maybe prosthetics, but don't expect it necesarily.

you'll essentially be a programmer mostly, but you will learn some basic EE and more than a bit basic mechanics and material science, but your bread and butter will be programming.

I might be wrong, but that's my impression of it. most of the people doing mechatronics dick around with arduino's and raspberry pi's.

if I sound dismissive don't think that it's not a good set of skills, you may just design and build a prototype of some gizmo you thought of, and then you might commercialize it, get funding and scale a nice manufacturing business that just assembles electronics from china into popular gizmos that are going to be sold on amazon.

>> No.15305664
File: 751 KB, 1000x1000, 1528-PINTACUDA-sq.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15305647
Based infernal contraption.

>> No.15305827

>>15305647
forgot to say, imo mechanical engineering guys do much more interesting stuff on the whole, and they can, will and probably do all the time cross into what might be classified as "mechatronics" all the time since a lot of modern engineering is done on the computer and it requires that you know how control systems interact with physical machine pieces.

>> No.15306262

>>15305647
don't you think that mechatronics will replace mechanics in the future?