[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 11 KB, 480x360, 0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1511914 No.1511914 [Reply] [Original]

>The first line of evidence they cite comes from a 2007 study in Sweden conducted between 1989 and 1993 that revealed a strong link between the incidence of melanoma and the number of FM and TV transmission towers covering the area where the individuals lived. Despite epidemiological correlations like this one suggesting the possibility that electromagnetic radiation from FM and TV broadcasts stations could suppress the immune system and promote cancer, the strength of these electromagnetic fields is so feeble it has been difficult to imagine any biological basis for the correlation.

>Electromagnetic waves resonate on a half-wavelength antenna to create a standing wave with a peak at the middle of the antenna and a node at each end, just as when a string stretched between two points is plucked at the center. In the U.S. bed frames and box springs are made of metal, and the length of a bed is exactly half the wavelength of FM and TV transmissions that have been broadcasting since the late 1940s.

>Thus, as we sleep on our coil-spring mattresses, we are in effect sleeping on an antenna that amplifies the intensity of the broadcast FM/TV radiation. Asleep on these antennas, our bodies are exposed to the amplified electromagnetic radiation for a third of our life spans. As we slumber on a metal coil-spring mattress, a wave of electromagnetic radiation envelops our bodies so that the maximum strength of the field develops 75 centimeters above the mattress in the middle of our bodies. When sleeping on the right side, the body's left side will thereby be exposed to field strength about twice as strong as what the right side absorbs.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=left-sided-cancer-blame-your-bed-an-2010-07-02

>> No.1511921

Better start wraping yourself in tinfoil... if you havn't already.

>> No.1511922

>>1511921
Then explain why Japan doesn't get the same cancer rates of melanoma in those areas (they don't have springs in their beds)

>> No.1511936

>>1511922
More like they don't have beds in their beds.

>> No.1511940

fuck.

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK

>> No.1511942

Man I love my memory foam mattress.

>> No.1511945

i dont haave a coil spring matress

>> No.1511947

>>1511922
I'm not mocking you man, tinfoil under you while you sleep will solve the problem.

>> No.1511953

>>1511947
The tinfoil will just concentrate the em energy even more and probably cause your proteins to coagulate.

>> No.1511954

this sounds like silliness.

>> No.1511957

>the length of a bed is exactly half the wavelength of FM and TV transmissions that have been broadcasting since the late 1940s.
Yes, but the individual springs may not be.

>> No.1511961

This is a little scary.

Maybe they could make bed springs out of a different material that doesn't conduct EM waves, or maybe insulate the springs?

Because fuck I don't want skin cancer.

>> No.1511962

>>1511953
[citations needed]

Also I fail to see why an antenna would amplify a signal in that way. Also radiowaves of that energy don't have enough energy to ionise atoms so...

>> No.1511967

this post is getting shit on in the comments section, and i don't blame them.

this is a bunch of gibberish. if i see some peer-reviewed, case-controlled demonstrations of this, then fine, but this is purely conjecture.

commentator makes a good point,

>And, besides ALL that... if radio-frequency radiation, even amplified and focused by an evil boxspring, could cause cancer enough to account for the differences between "the west" and Japan, then cellphone use, with their transmitters right next to people's bodies all day long, would have already caused a massive and totally-obvious epidemic.

>> No.1511977

>>1511953
Nah man, it will almost completely block the signal.

>> No.1511993

>>1511967
it's the first study of its kind, fucktard, and is so far the best explanation for the disparity in melanoma rates between the US and Japan

>> No.1511999

>the length of a bed is exactly half the wavelength of FM and TV transmissions that have been broadcasting since the late 1940s
>87 to 108 MHz broadcast

The wavelength corresponding to that frequency is ~0.4 to 1.8 m long... half that is 20cm to 90cm... never slept in a bed less then a meter long (under 4') , have you?

>> No.1512007

>>1511993

http://www.vof.se/visa-forvillare2004eng

this is a post written about one of the authors of the study.

of all the differences that exist between populations in the "west" and japan (diet, lifestyle, genetics, environment, etc.) someone says bed springs (which is PURE conjecture) and i'm supposed to freak out about non-ionizing radiation from my bed? are you serious?

>> No.1512012

>>1512007
Yes you are, especially since these areas are usually found to be NOT EFFECTED BY SUNLIGHT

>> No.1512019
File: 48 KB, 468x732, 20071107.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just leaving this heard, won't start a thread just for one pic

>> No.1512021

>>1511914
This is like saying warm weather causes shark attacks.

>> No.1512023

>>1512012

okay, what about all the studies that have demonstrated that cellphone use (cellphones are placed DIRECTLY NEXT TO YOUR HEAD) doesn't correlate with increased cancer risk.

and, guess what, with the proliferation of indoor tanning, there is NO SUCH THING as unexposed areas. people tan in their underwear, being blasted by UV radiation a few feet from their head. this is a much more likely explanation for that phenomenon, in my mind.

>> No.1512028

As a Radio Engineer and Amateur Radio Operator. I must protest that this is NOT scientific. If it were it would be a repeatable experiment. AND one of the statements is entirely incorrect. Antennas CANNOT amplify. In order to amplify it requires that additional power (voltage and current) be used to increase the power of the antenna signal. Antennas can only select a range of frequencies. Other frequencies outside of that range are attenuated -read shrunk-.
The MICRO-VOLTS that can occur on any metal object are not enough to cause this effect. The theory of heating-blankets causing problems is MUCH more likely because 120 Volts AC RMS is applied to them. The Peak to peak value of common household voltage -120 VAC- is on the order of 180 Volts P-P.
BTW, the US FM and TV Bands are
FM 88 to 108 MHz
TV Low VHF 54 to 88 MHz – this band has virtually been abandoned by broadcasters since DTV has come on
TV Hi VHF 174-216 MHz – this band still continues to have a small percentage of TV broadcasters since DTV came about
TV UHF 470 to 752 MHz – the band ends at channel 60 to allow other uses for higher channels
see http://www.csgnetwork.com/tvfreqtable.html
I hope this helps.

>> No.1512031

>>1512023
>okay, what about all the studies that have demonstrated that cellphone use (cellphones are placed DIRECTLY NEXT TO YOUR HEAD) doesn't correlate with increased cancer ri

You are an absolute moron if you believe those studies, we won't know conclusively what the cancer risks are for cell phone use until another 20 years

>> No.1512032
File: 30 KB, 320x320, all-seeing-eye-pyramid.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Illuminatididit

>> No.1512051

PERFECT! AN EXCUSE TO BUY A TEMPURAPEDIC MATTRESS!

>> No.1512053
File: 82 KB, 486x409, 1253298824837.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1512028
>Engineer
>Claims he can disprove anything with a scientifical basis

>> No.1512080

FU OP, I'M NEVER SLEEPING AGAIN!!!

>> No.1512128

>>1512021

well technically speaking, most sharks exist in warm water as opposed to cold water, or some shit...

well whatever you know the drill

yea yea, correlation doesn't mean causation, fuck whatever it sounds cooler

>> No.1512272

learn2nonionizingradiation