[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 124 KB, 1548x1468, 6A67EC09-7DD0-48AB-B3FF-BC04D94A6E55.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15089546 No.15089546 [Reply] [Original]

Dentistry is a science or something like it anyway.

Anyway, there’s this rock candy thing endemic to my homeland, and it’s basically crystallized sugar and I think it’s yummy, but it’s hard and I hear hard foods can lead to chipped teeth.

But at the same time, I also hear our ancestors crunchier diet is the reason they were healthier orally and our soft diets cause tooth decay.

What’s the redpill on this, /sci/? Can I freely eat and chew yummy sugar crystals or am I doomed to sucking on them till they dissolve like some sort of homosexual?

>> No.15089553

>>15089546
>I also hear our ancestors crunchier diet is the reason they were healthier orally and our soft diets cause tooth decay
I heard this for tougher foods like meat, but never crunchier foods.

>> No.15090171

>>15089546
It's not hard in the sense of that candy. That isn't very good for any kind of tooth, healthy or softjawed.
It's more about tough, chewy things like tubers, roots, uncooked plants and some meat parts. Tough in the sense of leather.
IF you have grown up (or perhaps it's also effective to start as an adult) with such a diet, your teeth naturally will become more resistant for all kinds of jobs.
Don't misinterpret my saying it's "always bad" as meaning it immediately damages teeth, or that both sides are equally resistant. Obviously the paleo-teeth can handle the sugar crystal much better.
Personally, I grew up chewing large pieces of gum, which simulated the root chewing aspect. I have perfect teeth and jaw in my 30s. My brushing record is spotty -- brushing with toothpaste is about the 5h most effective way for better oral health. The better are 1. don't kiss random people. 2. don't eat sugar/very easy carbs 3. always have a moist oral environment 4. "brush" (ESL, don't know the term) your teeth without toothpaste.