[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 161 KB, 1035x938, SeekPng.com_pepe-head-png_3135779.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15071925 No.15071925 [Reply] [Original]

Can science explain why poor peoole are generally happier than rich people?

>> No.15071926
File: 78 KB, 757x548, happiness vs income.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

liar

>> No.15071927

happy people stay poor,unhappy try to get rich cause they think that will make them happy

>> No.15071930

>>15071925
easy: they aren't.

>> No.15071980 [DELETED] 

>>15071926
Stop posting graphs with no sources, cunt.

>> No.15071987

stupid cunts are far easier to please than sentient human beings

>> No.15071990

>>15071980
it's in response to a claim with no source so no foul.

>> No.15072009

>>15071980
>>15071926
I make $180k a year and this graph checks out. Another $50k a year wouldn’t do much for me in terms of happiness, slightly nicer car and house and slightly more extravagant vacations. Maybe a boat? Idk. Once you have enough for some basics + a few luxuries I would whole heartedly believe in the diminishing returns on income vs happiness

>> No.15072011 [DELETED] 

>>15072009
What is your occupation?

>> No.15072026

Poor people generally have jobs that require less IQ, rich people’s jobs require a higher IQ. Ignorance is bliss.
Life is really, really fucked when you’re both poor and have a high IQ.

>> No.15072028

>>15072011
Engineer

>> No.15072033
File: 52 KB, 526x534, 1587502863911.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>poor peoole are generally happier than rich people

Not gunna say you can't learn to be happy with very little ...... but it is plain to see to all who are here.
This is shill thread.

>> No.15072035

>>15071925
>Can science explain why poor peoole are generally happier than rich people?
"Money doesn't buy happiness."
Old saying but is true.

How many times have you heard someone say?
"If I had his money, I'd do things my way"
But little they know that it's so hard to find
One rich man in ten with a satisfied mind
For money can't buy back your youth when you're old
Or a friend when you're lonely or a heart that's grown cold
The wealthiest person is a pauper at times
Compared to the man with a satisfied mind
Once I was livin' in fortune and fame
Had all that I dreamed of to get a start in life's game
Then suddenly it happened and I lost every dime
But I'm richer by far with a satisfied mind

Songwriters: Jack Rhodes, Red Hays

>> No.15072038
File: 2.45 MB, 600x338, 1641417955638.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15071925
Happiness is mostly in health and community, not money.

>> No.15072041

There is no simple answer to this question, as happiness is a complex and subjective experience that can be influenced by a wide variety of factors, including one's social and economic circumstances. However, research has shown that income and material wealth are not the only determinants of happiness, and that other factors such as social connections, personal values, and overall health and well-being can also play a role.

One study found that people who have strong social connections and a sense of community tend to be happier, regardless of their income level. Another study found that people who have a sense of purpose and meaning in their lives tend to be happier, regardless of their income or social status.

It is also worth noting that the relationship between wealth and happiness is not always straightforward. While some studies have found that people with higher incomes tend to report higher levels of happiness, other studies have found that the relationship between wealth and happiness is more complex, with some people experiencing a decrease in happiness as their income increases.

Ultimately, the relationship between wealth and happiness is likely to be influenced by a variety of factors, including an individual's personal values and priorities, as well as their social and cultural context.

>> No.15072042

>>15071926
I hate stata's layout.

>> No.15072045

>>15072038
I bet that he never wonders about the meaning of life or what planet he is on and where that planet is in the universe. Ignorance is bliss.

https://youtu.be/4yBrW0zG8y8

>> No.15072047

>>15072033
It is true that capitalism has been associated with economic inequality and the concentration of wealth in the hands of a few. However, it is not accurate to say that capitalism is responsible for increasing poverty or that it actively tries to sell poverty as a commodity.

There is evidence that capitalist societies have made significant progress in reducing poverty and improving standards of living. In the United States, for example, the poverty rate has declined significantly over the past several decades, and living standards, as measured by indicators such as access to education, healthcare, and basic necessities, have improved.

Additionally, there are many measurements of success and happiness that have increased drastically in capitalist societies, including life expectancy, literacy rates, and access to education and healthcare. These improvements can be attributed mainly to the economic growth and technological advances that are characteristic of capitalist systems.

Overall, while capitalism is not perfect and there are valid concerns about economic inequality, it is not accurate to say that it is responsible for increasing poverty or that it actively tries to sell poverty as a commodity.

>> No.15072048

>>15072026
>rich people’s jobs require a higher IQ
They really don't. IQ isn't the only thing that earns money. I guess it's arguable that being conniving and manipulative equates to IQ levels.

>> No.15072050

>>15071925
rich ppl are happy internally, but they never show it because that would ruin their "woe is me, life is unfair, everyone owes me money as compensation because i'm a petulant crybaby" act

>> No.15072056
File: 126 KB, 1280x706, kdjjf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15072026
>Life is really, really fucked when you’re both poor and have a high IQ.
Not unusual either. Sometimes being smart is a detriment and you see the futility of it all and becomed blackpilled.

>> No.15072062

>>15072038
Why does this fella look like the black version of Stephen Merchant?

>> No.15072070

this thread needs to clarify the difference in types of wealth

If you think of "wealth" in the base meaning of the word (not just currency) but rather an abundance of something, then everyone has a wealth of something. You might say a poor beggar has a wealth of humility or wealth of poverty. Whether you are happy with the wealth you possess is a different question. Some people have a wealth of money but aren't happy. If you don't like what you have, then learn to trade your wealth for another type of wealth. The saying of "cash is king" because it can be traded very easily for other kinds of wealth. However I'd say possessing knowledge of how to trade what you currently possess for what you want/need is true wealth from which you'll never feel poor again.
This logic may be a bit too reductionist, but I feel it's necessary to get back to basics of logic to break through capitalistic brainwashing that wants everyone to use cash as the only mode of transfer of wealth. (it's easier to tax this way)

I think the key to happiness is to accept that you literally can't have everything (as in it's physically impossible why try) and the key is to be happy with what wealth you have, or trade it for something that "you think will make you happy." You might be wrong in "thinking that" but at least by trying you'll have learned you're wrong and be 1 step closer to finding what's true for you.

>> No.15072073

Because poor people are dumb and dumb people are happy.

>> No.15072149

I would be so much happier if I had heaps of money. To never have to worry about money again would be great. You could quit your job and do whatever you wanted. Go travelling or do drugs and hookers or start some kind of charity or do what Elon musk does and use your money to make products and things you actually feel are meaningful. If you're happy working and have no larger goals outside of work and hobbies then yeah i can see how being rich wouldn't do anything. I hate working for other people, I want to make my own stuff. If I was rich I'd probably do what Aubrey Degray did and hire a bunch of scientists and do research on senolytic therapies and things of that nature. Having money to fund that kind of stuff yourself and not have to hunt for funding or deal with investors would make it a lot more enjoyable I think. Or I'd probably pay some people to make various products for me because I have like a zillion ideas and nowhere near enough time to do it all. I'd love to be really rich I think I could really do a lot with it

>> No.15072177

>>15072047
I'd say that few people having most of the wealth is somewhat to do with capitalism but it's also an almost total lack of law enforcement on rich people who skirt the rules and make heaps of money when they shouldn't. Nancy Pelosi and her insider trading is a good example, and a lot of politicians really, a lot of them have tens of millions of dollars somehow and get paid like $150k/yr. Trillions of dollars that's gone missing from the government and all the wars and money that goes with that and banks getting away with crashing the economy and things that if a regular citizen did it they'd be locked up forever. It's like a two tiered system of regular capitalism for regular citizens and then some kind of upper class of unregulated capitalism that we don't get the benefit of

>> No.15072230

>>15072177
That was not the point at all you midwit. Calling out unproportionate distribution of wealth as the main problem is arbitrary. I already acknowledged before that the concentration of wealth among a small elite is a persistent problem in capitalist societies. However, to suggest that this is the sole or even the primary issue with capitalism is narrow-minded and fails to consider the many other ways in which these societies have made significant progress. From increased access to education and healthcare, to improvements in living standards and life expectancy, there is ample evidence that capitalist societies have brought about significant improvements in the well-being of their citizens. Besides that, to pin the blame for wealth inequality solely on capitalism is also a shallow and misguided perspective that ignores the complex array of factors that contribute to this issue. While addressing wealth inequality is important, it is vital to consider a wider range of metrics when evaluating the efficacy of an economic system. But you just cling on to your "muh but capitalism bad, look at Pelosi". You fucking shallow piece of a political npc.

>> No.15072253

>>15072177
Regular citizens don't have regular capitalism, though. You ever try to start a business? The rules are completely slanted towards already wealthy people and companies to the point where the small guy can't hope to compete. That is very certainly not capitalism, not when the big guys have sway over the law. That's without even including your example of selective enforcement (against everyone that isn't a wealthy incestuous weasel).

>> No.15072292
File: 122 KB, 609x473, too-big-to-fail-2-2083911789.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15072253
>The rules are completely slanted towards already wealthy people and companies to the point where the small guy can't hope to compete

I like to think of the idea of small/big businesses as a forest.
In forestry there is a thing called selective logging. If you leave a forest along for a long time the forest becomes dominated by very old trees. They reach high above all other plants, and choke the ground of all sunlight, ensuring only the oldest trees survive. This environment is prone do natural disaster as the loss of even a few of these giant old trees creates barren lands prone to land slides.
I wouldn't suggest anything like the government "reaping" the biggest and wealthiest businesses, however, I would suggest letting them drown when they begin to struggle. IMHO anything too big to fail is a liability to others, whether that be old trees or old businesses. Liabilities should be at the very least, be acknowledged for what they are.

>> No.15072314

>>15072292
>too big to fail
new anon following convo here.
"too big to fail" is always due to there being a scam or money laundering involved with the corporation and the US government politicians and bureacracy.
If a corporation is not shelling out millions to the politicians or laundering dirty money for government agencies, then it is never too big to fail.

>> No.15072318

>>15072292
I like that analogy, yeah. When a business gets too big, its only real options are to collapse or to continue existing by absorbing smaller competition. If it fails, then the experienced people within it can move to smaller related businesses which will fill the gaps, while the latter leads to exactly what you described. Bailouts for large businesses seem to hurt the growth of that industry in the long run.

>> No.15072677

>>15072041
was this written by an AI?

>> No.15072703

>>15071925
Judaism can, but you can understand through common sense

Poor people think money would make them happy so at least they have a goal to work towards. Rich people already know it doesn't make them less miserable, so they have nothing to strive for.

>> No.15074208

>>15072677
>was this written by an AI?
Yes, someone is fielding a new bot on here. It is very verbose. It must identify as a woman.

>> No.15074286

>>15071925
Unlike poor people, rich people don't get joy out of being a burden to society as rich people don't need to take other people's money

>> No.15074296
File: 70 KB, 492x492, kfjkjldskh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15074286
It's not money that rich people crave once they have the money.

Rich people want POWER over humanity, and that is damn near impossible to take anymore since everyone can be armed with effective weapons for defense now, unlike in Feudal times when Kings and Warlords ruled over unarmed peasants.

>> No.15074300

>>15074296
Everyone wants power. Money is power. Power is simply means to enact your will unto reality. Poor people lack power and thus live miserably. Never knowing when their next pay check will come, when the next medical emergency will arrive, never having money to pay for dental and health insurance so they skip out on important health checkups. Taking only the basic medicine that's 20-30years out of date.

Money is power.

>> No.15074304

>>15074296
>and that is damn near impossible to take anymore since everyone can be armed with effective weapons for defense now
BS, America is the most armed nation in the world and they still bow to their masters

>> No.15074621

>>15071925
Grew up poor and planning to escape, but know a few wealthy people, here is the mentality of both:
>poorfag: Oh, nice, I found 100 bucks! Now I can go to a fancy restaurant with my gf and talk about it for the next month
That is instant gratification that makes most people short term happy but does not help them build normal or generational wealth.
>richfag: Oh, nice, I found 100 bucks. I can buy 60 bottles of cola for one dollerino each, pay my student friend 50 bucks and let him sell the bottles for 3 bucks a pop at the upcoming event. That leaves me with 180 moneys, let us find out what else I can invest in afterwards
Delayed gratification that doesn't lead to instant happiness, but once they actually *own* the things they want to have they do have a tendency of being more fulfilled, especially if they themselves worked hard towards their goals.
>>15072009
>>15071980
This can be explained by the marginal value of substitution in micro economics.

>> No.15074857
File: 357 KB, 501x702, 1574162302149.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>implying

>> No.15076162

>>15074300
>Money is power.
No.
Money is limited in how much power it buys.

>> No.15076166
File: 70 KB, 480x602, Herdz.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15074304
true

>> No.15077241

>>15072045
The only thing that on his mind is protecting his children, making love to his wife and contributing to his family and neighbors. Most people in America stay in their homes glued to electronics, life is so depressing when you're smart.

>> No.15077318

>>15071926
>muh money makes me happy
Lolololol
>>15072009
This is the best example of a money zogbot, does he really need to upgrade his Grand seiko to a Citizen chronomaster?
Showing off his rolex because 95% of normies only recognize it as a big boy brand will be enough?
Why does he strive for a Patek Philippe greater complications, will he finally be happy with it?

>> No.15077329
File: 25 KB, 473x557, 1640132122633.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15077241
>life is so depressing when you're smart.

>> No.15077331
File: 49 KB, 601x508, 325234.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15072045
>I bet that he never wonders about the meaning of life or what planet he is on and where that planet is in the universe. Ignorance is bliss.
Diseased cattle actually believes this. Imagine being so easily programmable.

>> No.15077378

>>15071925
they aren't.
money DOES buy happiness in most cases but NOT always, if you have clinical depression you will be more miserable than some poorfag with downs syndrome (i envy them desu they are always so happy and don't realize how shit everything is)

>> No.15077450
File: 54 KB, 646x900, FBI Gestapooo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15077378
>money DOES buy happiness
>Spending money creates a dopamine release, that makes you feel "happy".
>Crack is a dopamine release that makes you feel "happy".
>"Crack buys happiness!"