[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 324 KB, 382x417, 1578614425086.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15004309 No.15004309 [Reply] [Original]

What alternative to psychology do you propose to study the mind?

If social sciences are pseudoscience, how do we study the mind then?

>> No.15004319

Base your psychobabble on neurology.

>> No.15004331

>>15004319
Neurology is as bad as psychology.
>>15004309
You just gotta know what to look for OP. The academia is trash but they don't have absolute control over it yet. Rightly done psychology is not pseudo science.

>> No.15004342

>>15004309
The mind should be studied with different tools exploring different aspects of it. For now we don't have a holistic practice that can do it. Only bullshit pseudosciences.
After you've worked with mentaly ill people for some time it becomes very clear that there's more to the mind that simple imbalances issues or something in the brain that should be fixed with surgery or something.

Psychology, Psychiatry, Neuroscience and I'd argue that even a basic knowledge of 'the good parts' of psychoanalysis should be in the toolbox of someone wanting to know more about the mind.

>> No.15004354

>>15004309

Psychology is definitely the way to go. But you need to take care and link it to the neuroanatomic correlates, i.e. instead of just blindly accepting the dogma of behaviorism you need to understand how the BIS and BAS work, what the amygdala does and so forth.

The ultimate redpill is that NO school in psychology has all the answers, but if you bring the different paradigms together and understand the underlying systems you will get great insights.

>> No.15004418

>>15004309
Psychology and psychiatry are both total BS. Everything they do is based on theories and experiments. Name a *single* other field that uses theories and experiments. That's right, you can't, because there is none. Psychologists and psychiatrists should know exactly what every atom is the body is doing and why it's doing it at all times and never be wrong or uncertain about anything before they go and give some shitty "diagnosis". I don't have any mental health problems but the people that do should NOT be allowed to speak with them, that's what I'm fighting for, is for the freedom of those people to be able to not be able to see a psychologist or psychiatrist

>> No.15004611

You first have to research into whether or not consciousness is an emergent property of the matter of brain, or is it independently existing?

All psychology is doing is looking at minds as black boxes. That’s why psychology is plagued with replication crises.

>> No.15004817

>>15004309
First learn how to cultivate the mind or you will have neither what to study or what to study with.