[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 349 KB, 1500x1270, steam.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14833216 No.14833216 [Reply] [Original]

Welcome to STEM Career General!
previously >>14723671

STEAM Edition

This thread exists to ask questions regarding careers associated to STEM.
> Discussion on academia based career progression
> Discussion on penetrating industry from academia
> Or anything in relation to STEM employment or development within STEM academia!

Resources for protecting yourself from academic marxists:
>https://www.thefire.org/ (US)
>https://www.jccf.ca/ (Canada)

Information resource:
>https://sciencecareergeneral.neocities.org/
>*The Chad author is seeking additional input to diversify the content into containing all STEM fields. Said author regularly views these /scg/ threads.

No anons have answered your question? Perhaps try posting it here: >https://academia.stackexchange.com/

An archive of all the previous editions of /scg/:
>>>>>/sci/

NOTE: Any useful resources relayed in this thread will be included in future /scg/ threads.

>> No.14833247

>muh jerb!
>muh muny!
>muh things!
>muh iq!

>> No.14833252

>>14833216
I read the neocities website. I'm interested in the quant finance industry
It says to 'get amazing at python and stats' what exactly does this entail? Any anon can expand on this? What exactly do I have to study?
t. Currently a data scientist want more cash

>> No.14833363

>>14833216
I wish I could just skip all of the school required and work some position where I give scientists specific topics to research and conduct experiments on. So many scientists struggle for ideas to research while I have too many to count, but none of the resources to test them with.

Having very peculiar medical problems I've read a ton of medical research and coming up with good solid questions to do research on comes very easily to me as most of the medical questions I have about myself cannot be answered. Not even just symptoms I experience, I'll experience random undocumented effects with like half of all the substances I take.

It's frustrating as ever since Covid I've struggled to find motivation in school and haven't done so well.

>> No.14833365

Is it possible to become a machine learning engineer if I am autistic?

>> No.14833369

>>14833252
Apply python to all of the algorithms in CLRS. All. Of. Them.

>> No.14833499

>>14833363
>I am le ideas guy
You're a retard, congratulations

>> No.14833551

>>14833499
That's exactly why I have the best ideas and questions, no one else is willing to even entertain a retarded stupid idea at the very least to make sure it's actually not true.

You can't say coming up with the idea of gravity after watching an apple fall from a tree wasn't a stupid idea.

I am aware how ridiculous my post sounds but frankly I am frustrated at the medical field's incompetence and wanted to vent.

>> No.14833588

>be the absolute laziest retard working through a business degree focusing on tax accounting
>shitton of videogames and cheating my ass off
>graduate with the degree having done 2 tax accounting internships
>second internship had me grinding 60 hour weeks with pretty much mind numbing data entry
>realize there's no long-term endgame and really never had an interest in the first place
>spend a year spinning wheels trying to find what I can do
>self study a bit of cs and programming and felt it click
>spent a summer grinding precalc and an intro to programming class at a local university
>make solid As in both of the courses
>register for discrete math, intro to programming 2, and calc 1
>fast forward to now and I've studied just about less than 10 hours this entire semester
Holy fuck I just want to escape everything my past lazy, piece of shit self was and it keeps resurfacing.
I already know what I need to do in terms of time management and reassessing my motivation for why I'm even bothering to go through with this second degree in CS.
It just feels so frustrating relapsing into old shitty habits.
It's just so bizarre as I know I've done worse, putting in 60 hour weeks for something I couldn't give a fuck about but now I'm freezing up when I have an opportunity to turn everything around.
I understand most of what I've said doesn't really help in terms of receiving actionable advice for myself but I guess it's just venting.

>> No.14833640

>>14833588
You need to start doing coke

>> No.14833684

What kind of industries should I be looking into if I want to be a control engineer? I really enjoyed all my control theory classes during my EE degree.

>> No.14833700

>>14833365
I think being autistic is a requirement

>> No.14833904

>>14833369
okay, will do, thanks. Anything on math side? Do I have to study any new stuff, I have a good grasp of undergrad probability and stats, is that enough?

>> No.14833933

>>14833640
I'll be sure to do that alongside black tar heroin kek

>> No.14833952

Is there such a thing as a university faculty job where you can work from home and don't have to live near the campus?

>> No.14833968

i got my bachelor's in EE and need to go to grad school
i never planned on this but i'm realizing all the jobs at the bachelor's level suck
i can't find a reputable online grad program in physics, is optics just as good?

>> No.14834111

>>14833588
let's link up, we have the same problem

>> No.14834561

>>14833588
Maybe get an accountability partner or something? A friend or relative that will tell you how much of a lazy piece of shit you are if you don't do what you're supposed to like your boss would do if you were working

>> No.14834644

>>14833216
Physicist here, should I even bother doing the Physics GRE if I want to apply to a Phd Program in the US? All of the programs Im interested have it as an optional requirement, even saying that not presenting it will not put me at a disadvantage. International student btw.

>> No.14834722

>>14834561
That was definitely a thought that came to mind but long-term that's not really a solution.

>> No.14834732

>>14834644
Can't speak for Physics but I'm applying for math schools and I'm opting not to take it. Unless you really want to get into certain schools, but even then I'm under the impression if you're grades, papers, recs are good enough nobody gives a shit. Obviously it could help if you feel you're lacking but even then only up to a point. It's really just a filter for the lazy ass administration to make a decision.

>> No.14834970

>>14833363
>So many scientists struggle for ideas to research
Since when???

>> No.14835165

>>14833216
>previously >>14723671
Rather >>14792064

>> No.14835169
File: 3 KB, 146x105, Screenshot 2022-09-10 023807.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Are American uni exams easier?
I just found this grading scheme used in US unis.

Why is it so high? In a typical British University, >70% will get you a "first" grade, which is the highest grade you can get. A "strong upper" grade would be >65%.

You'll get a C if you score 79% in a US uni. WTF is going on?

>> No.14835248
File: 121 KB, 1280x1028, 1657689706860.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14833216
>got accepted for a phd at a top tier uni
will this make me happy and or rich and or fulfilled?

>> No.14835368

>>14835248
>sciencecareergeneral
Happy as you are accepted,
Fulfilled as you learn and appreciate the experience
Happy as you pass
Well off later in life but definitely rich in experiences.

>> No.14835544

>>14835169
No. Americans are just better at tests, deal with it thirdie

>> No.14835551

>>14835248
I was you 5 years ago. Unfortunately the answer is no for me.
I spent my whole life conflating success and happiness with academic success and "appearing smart." If you're like me, you'll get to the start of year 4 and realize that you're doing what you're doing because it's what you've convinced yourself you like to do, but not actually what you like to do.

I really hope you're not like me though and congrats on the achievement. Just don't lose sight of the things in life you enjoy outside of academia.

>> No.14835560

>>14835169
No, they are curved and the grading scheme is bullshit anyway. I've taken courses where a 50 is an A. That grading curve is typically for intro courses that are stupid easy and graded on completeness rather than correctness

>> No.14835596

>>14833684
dod companies with emphasis on weapons including missiles such as raytheon, a lot of stuff uses controls but one of the most prevalent is the dod

>> No.14835831

>>14833904
Study it again. Do every problem in the textbook. Also study stochastic calculus.

>> No.14836082

I'm a mech engineer about to start a PhD that combines fluid mechanics with radar imaging techniques. What kind of job could I get after I finish?

>> No.14836083

>>14833216
Why Art?

>> No.14836180

How fucked am I when I'm starting my master's and know absolutely no one at my university. No networking for me

>> No.14836219

hi i've got a few questions about retroactively building an education in mathematics (after initially studying social sciences)

anyone happy to field my questions?

>> No.14836315

Any anons got stories of bullshit things found during job hunting? mine is
>IQ test

>> No.14836411

Took way too long to apply for MC fellowship, fellow europoor lads. Now I have to make my fingers bleed to finish the proposal in time. At least the university I want to go really wants me there, so my supervisor didn't mind the crunch time even if it's so close to the deadline. I'm close to making it, I can feel it.

>> No.14836609

should i give up on trying to get a job working with interesting technology and just take the software remote work pill

>> No.14836734

>>14836180
You are far from alone in this situation, just make sure you start some networking. Universities are there for gaining skills and knowledge, but never underestimate the value of networking. The prestigious universities are excellent in this respect.
If you find it hard to meet people, try joining a few of the societies, such as discussion societies, sports or anything else, juts to get to know people. I studied abroad, returned home with practically zero relevant network and finding that first job was hard. WAGMI.

>>14836219
>anyone happy to field my questions?
Sure, that is the purpose of this general.

>>14836315
The FAQ has a few shocking stories.

>> No.14836963

CompSci or cyber security for major

>> No.14837184

>>14833551
Medical field’s incompetence?? You realize research requires funding. Sorry your super rare health condition has no traction you fucking munchie.

>> No.14837618

>finish undergrad
>start looking for jobs
>entry level science jobs pay ~$350 a month (yes I'm a third worlder)
>need master's degree, 5 years of experience(lol), availability to work 12 hours a day
>check offers to work as translator/interpreter, call centers and the like
>twice the pay, no experience required, as long as you finished highschool you're good to go, 8 hours a day
Haha
Ahaehehehhuhihihihuhehha
What the FUCK did i do with my life these last 5 years?

>> No.14837631
File: 91 KB, 750x1000, flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14833216
I work in big pharma and I feel like I'm at a dead end only 3.5 years in. Bachelors of biology (kek), managed to job hop from 37.5k to 80k over those 3.5 years. But it honestly seems like every position higher up than my current one doesn't give a substantial benefit. If I move up I might get paid 20k more, but I will be expected to work substantially more and take on tons more stress. Plus, if I ever really wanted to "climb the ladder", I'd have to move right into one of the big metro areas (I'm in Canada so that would mean moving to Toronto, which is a fucking shithole), and I have no desire to move to New york, boston, or LA....might be willing to do Seattle. Point is, I feel like any extra money I get I will pay for in extra time or increased COL if I move. And I get raped by Canadian taxes anyways so a 20K raise is only like 13k.

All of this makes me want to just fucking become a brewer or some gay artisan, I wouldn't make much but at least my days would be fun and I wouldn't have to deal with complete retards all day.

>> No.14837639
File: 77 KB, 1000x1142, EvB5rgyUUAAYMzi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14837618
That's rough bro, what country? I'm in Canada and I see a lot of immigrants get absolutely fucked by managers who know they can grossly underpay employees because of how little they make back home (managers are often foreigners themselves).

>> No.14837657

>go to public research university
>arts and sciences department
>chemistry, computer science, math, and physics are in the same department as art, music, theatre, and social sciences (which are not science)
why?

>> No.14837663

>>14835169
depends on the class and how strict the teacher is on grading. if you have some complex math formula and make one minor mistake (like transposing a number between lines) that results in a wrong answer, one professor may take all the points off while another will give you partial credit since you understood the basic concepts. hopefully that first one would curve the grade.

in my experience, the professors that say "nobody passes my exams" or who have average failing grades are shitty teachers

>> No.14837677

>>14837639
Colombia
It's pretty insane now that I'm looking at the job market. I assume the salary disparity is partly due to the call center jobs getting paid by American companies in USD while everyone else is getting paid in local toilet paper currency but still. Call center monkey stuff can get you $600-700 per month working from home while even management positions at multinational biotech/pharma companies and shit are getting offered around $800-900 per month.
Really makes you wanna drop science altogether

>> No.14837746

>>14837631
Artisanal brew crafted by someone with a background in pharma? Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I think I'll pass.

>> No.14837908

I really enjoy abstract problem solving and working with abstract concepts. I love learning about the theory of what I am currently studying (chemistry), but when I work with the more practical side of it I am significantly less passionate. Looking towards the future, I realize that I might not be interested in working in that field because of this. Careers seem to all be based mostly in practical work. Is there a field that you would recommend that is better suited to my preferences? Something where I could work with more abstract problem solving? Preferably alone or remotely. I realize this is all pretty vague, I just feel like I’m in a rut right now and I don’t know how to get out.

>> No.14838110
File: 350 KB, 500x242, GL.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14833588
Here's something that worked for me:
1. Get a book that has a topic you're interested in
2. Read a whole five (5) pages.
3. If you get distracted by something be it your phone, PC, daydreams, etc, you have to go back and do it all again.
4. If you feel confident enough, start reading ten (10) pages.
It's not much but it's something.

>> No.14838114

>>14837663
>nobody passes my exams
I never understood this. Why are you bragging that you have often fail your class?
I get that it's the department that makes the exams sometimes, but that's even worse since the department knows the classes a failing but does nothing about it.

>> No.14838117

>>14837677
Going to college for a degree in STEM was shoved down our throat since we were kids. Not that we've done it, our generation is still broke. Now they're pushing the trades meme. Fuck that; fool me once.

>> No.14838141

>>14838117
speak for yourself nigga, everyone I know from school (1st world) is making $80K-100K in EE

>> No.14838157

>>14838117
>>14838141
My first offer for a CS job out of uni was $96k base salary plus benefits. I'm still interviewing and hope to be above 100k

>> No.14838161

Some tip for a thirdie?
I know English, like to read and learn about any topic in general, I move well around math and so on but I'm not really into anything, kinda no passion in something in particular. Mid-class, and going to postulate for a scholarship in a private uni (high prestige and recognized internationally).
What is the next move? Where should be my focus? I really don't know what to study, I went trough the phases of "Be a scientist seems interesting" and "I don't care, just wanna make big money" but in the end I can't decide on somehing.

>> No.14838166
File: 24 KB, 758x765, computer_science_truth.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14838117
>>14838141
>>14838157

>> No.14838240
File: 13 KB, 213x250, 1nn3gx-1435105738.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

EE undergrad here. Anons, who graduated and are working, please tell me it gets better. I'm barely coping with my studies. The only reason I haven't killed myself is by convincing myself that I'll be able to live in comfort with a well paying job later if I endure. But, I don't feel so sure anymore. I'm at the metaphorical (and soon to be literal) end of my rope. I don;'t wanna switch to CS either.

>> No.14838253

>>14838166
I'm a double major in math.

Math and physics are harder, but there aren't as many high paying jobs. So who's the real retard?

>> No.14838300

>>14838240
I hope this is a joke. Not even during my lowest did I ever think, oh yea shit is grim I should stop trying and off myself. It was tiresome landing my first gig, but I kept pushing. Got layed off my first gig 3 months in. That fucking sucked, but I kept pushing anyway. It does get better, but you gotta push yourself in the face of adversity.

>> No.14838313

>>14838110
I'll give it a try for a few study sessions.
AAM2M

>> No.14838320

Guys, I have a genius idea. I want to get Associates of Science in CS online and then transfer to top public university. Is there any community college that offers AS in CS fully online, that is cheap for OOS students?

>> No.14838348

>>14838240
I was in your position a while ago. I graduated EE, and while I don't think there was ever a period where I thought it was really overwhelming, I hated the institution enough that I wasn't getting any joy out of it. EE probably gets to it's most difficult at the 2-3 year mark, mostly due to novelty of the wide range of subjects at that point. If you can get used to it, the rest of the degree pretty much feels like standard procedure. Getting a job was very easy for me, with just a couple of crappy internships and a semester of undergrad research. I managed to really stretch these experiences on my resume and in interviews to make them seem like they were actually significant, and this really did help. If you can just present yourself as an intelligent individual with even a modicum of charisma, you'll get real consideration. Holy shit, the number of uncharismatic/autistic people in these fields is insane. Most of the time, your first interview will be with someone from HR, and knowing that is power, since they won't have any idea what your technical proficiencies actually mean, so you only need to give a very broad lineup of your skills. You can easily do well by just imagining the lineup of autists that they've probably been marathoning before talking to you on the phone and try to talk better than they might. With the number of idiots that can get through CS, the job market's going to be flooded with them by the end of the decade, driving salaries down significantly. If you want to know what this would look like, just look at India/Korea/Japan, which already have CS as widespread enough to be mundane. If EE is too hard, CPE is kind of an intermediary. If you already know fundamentals of programming, it's basically EE lite.

>> No.14838752

>>14838240
Work sucks. It usually sucks no matter what title you can call yourself.

>> No.14838948

Is there any trick or technique to improve reading comprehension so you're actually retaining the information you're reading instead of just glazing over it?

>> No.14838976
File: 42 KB, 549x310, SoC-System-On-Chip-with-mixed-mode-components-digital-analog-RF-MEMS.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Another EE undergrad here, what are the prerequisites for being able to work in SoC design or the parts of it?

>> No.14839185

>>14838253
except math and physics majors have no problem finding jobs as software "engineers"

>> No.14839189

>>14838348
>With the number of idiots that can get through CS, the job market's going to be flooded with them by the end of the decade, driving salaries down significantly. If you want to know what this would look like, just look at India/Korea/Japan, which already have CS as widespread enough to be mundane.
this

lol at fucking retards majoring in CS. their salaries are going to nosedive because any low IQ retard can get a CS degree

>> No.14839203

>>14838348
>>14839189

a lot of universities are increasing the GPA requirement to get admitted into their computer science programs because there are so many people who want to major in CS

for example, UConn requires a 2.7 to get into their civil engineering program whereas a 3.5 is required to get into their computer science program

>> No.14839294

I'm thinking about dropping out of CS constantly now.

It's sounds just ridiculously scary to get into CS nowadays. Too much propaganda and marketing. You end up in a job not even knowing what exactly you are doing, touching on (probably) corrupted money. It's just a very ugly sight in university.

I thought that "coders" were some kind of intellectual elite.

BOY, I was wrong.....

You people ever been to these reddit/social media/websites/apps programming communities for networking? Holy fucking shit, talk about scummy... definitely not a crowd I'd want to be friends with.

>> No.14839342

how common is it to find fully remote jobs in CS? can you realistically expect to find a job and not have to interact with people in person?

>> No.14839357

>>14838348
This anon is right, at least for Japan.
You need to work as a contractor there or you will get yourself fucked.
As far as I know, IT is a disrespected discipline in Japan.
It has to do with Japanese history but basically IT work is seen as an extention of fax operators or secretaries which are usually "empty jobs" just there to fatten up employee count which is seen as a status symbol for companies but they pay the employee very little and the employee just does nothing the entire day only trying to look busy.

This is why Japan has no big IT business and why they have no google/facebook/amazon (I don't know if this is a good comparison because only a minority 'really' works with the important tech in these companies) type of companies. If your son tells you he wants to go into IT you'd tell him to kill himself before he damages the families reputation. It's that bad.

In general the pay in Japan is pretty bad compared to the west, at least in this area. Especially compared to cost of living and the hours of work you'll have to do.

There is also a lot of nepotism and promotions aren't based upon merit but on seniority instead so you having great degrees and years of experience means jack shit if Nephew Kenji needs a job. Or if degreeless middle manager ojisan turned 45 and worked for the company for 27 years already so he gets promoted to head of technology despite not knowing how to turn on a computer.

That being said, people go to IT/CS out of necessity, See the russians trying to get out of mordor for this example.

>> No.14839575

>>14839357
Plese clarify: have you been to Japan yourself and experienced what you write, first hand?

>> No.14839596 [DELETED] 

>>14839575
On a japanese company job? No. But I had my fair share of contact (and research) with gaijin companies and people working there, usually: teachers (TEFL and other programs like JET), IT, students enrolled with scholarships from MEXT, etc. You can go right now and research CoL, salaries and cultural aspects.

>> No.14839764
File: 363 KB, 1280x1610, 1662765029870499.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

An I the only one who sometimes wonders if they should've gone to medschool? Like the shit you have to deal with is far more complex than any admission exams into med and yet the pay and prestige are so much lower.

Not to mention stuff like how easily doctors get laid on tinder. Petty, I know.

>> No.14839799

any anon here working in quantum computing or doing research in the field? im trying to see what kind of profiles academia and industry look for.

>> No.14839818

What is an actually good GRE score for engineering? I got a 330 (165/165), but it seems even that might not be enough. Thoughts on this? It’s hard to find data on this because of the waived requirements, but I’m trying to see if this is enough to get funding.

>> No.14839852

Is having a single first author publication as an undergrad good enough for getting into a good grad school? I don't think I will have the time to publish more than one. I am a math undergrad focusing on statistical learning/optimization.

>> No.14839909

>>14839852
I got into a few top-10 phd programs with 0 publications. That being said my field publishes very infrequently.
The grad app process is all about how well you market yourself, so try reaching out to profs.

>> No.14840146

>>14833216
I'm European and I have a B.Sc. in physics, but I'm not interested in continuing in that direction, I'd rather be an engineer. I had two semesters of EE basics as a side subject. Unfortunately I'm already 25 and a regular B.Sc. takes 3 years here. If I could get my maths, physics and EE courses recognized I could maybe cut it down to 2 years, but I'd still be 27 when I graduate. Is this a good idea? Or should I try to grind through the M.Sc. in Physics instead and then try to get an engineering-related job?

>> No.14840157

>>14840146
you answered yourself, go through engineering.

>> No.14840185
File: 446 KB, 1024x2235, commission___red__megaman_exe_by_r_legend_db933m7-fullview.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14833216
Would it be possible to build an army of robots that could interface with matter on the atomic level that could automatically selectively neutralize all biological risks on this planet such as radioactive isotopes, pathogens, nanoplastics, invasive or pest species.

If this is not possible, what are our shortcomings?

>> No.14840202

>>14839909
Do you have any advice on marketing yourself? I'm trying to shore up my stats (trying to get my gpa and experiences up), but I can't rely on that since they are lower than average.

>> No.14840244

>>14839764
My father is a retired GP and strongly adviced me against going into medicine. If you do an honest job, the days are long, the patients too often have mental issues, and you are also exposed to a lot of diseases.
Prestige is oversold.

>> No.14840307

>>14839185
except math and physics majors don't know how to program, other than maybe R or the bare basics of python.

>> No.14840381

>>14840202
connect with professors beforehand. try to have ~3 that you've explicitly spoken to, not just emailed.
your application should be about your skills, not necessarily what you've accomplished. show them why you'd be a good fit for their program. have professors in your department read your application.

>> No.14840417

>>14840307
>acting like it would be difficult for high IQ math/physics majors to learn to program in no time

anon please

>> No.14840438

anyone an epidemiologist in canada? i graduated last year with an msc but no responses from job applications

i learned R but not SAS which is usually what i see they are looking for as a typical required skill although i imagine that it is quite dated compared to what you can do with R

>> No.14840454
File: 522 KB, 1932x1181, 1628492067130.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14836082
McDonald's

>> No.14840834

>>14840381
Gotcha. I still have a solid year left till application time, but do you think I should start networking now, or should I wait a little bit?

>> No.14840870

bsc biochemistry, just offered as a lab tech at a dairy plant, paying pretty good for a grad role in my country (20k more than first year accountants/consultants/public sector). im definitely going to take but cant help but feel i should be doing bigger and better things.

id like to do organic synthesis/med chem, but i failed my higher level chem courses, so im not sure any uni in my country would let me into a masters in org without retaking bachelors... then its not really worth the time and effort.

never learnt ANY programming/math/stats so switch to tech or bioinformatics is out of the question.

ive been offered a spot at grad school doing structural biology, xray crystallography biophysics etc, but surely i wont get much value out of that without a solid background in maths/physics? and if i do that then id have to do a phd.. but then what, four years down the line and wishing i did something else? and there are no jobs around here, would have to move to europe

anyway whats worth learning in pharma/biotech right now? especially something accessible from a biochem background. ideally id want a fat salary in some mountainous european country making drugs - dont care about research for research's sake. i guess i just want to know the fastest route to lots of money to support myself.

sorry for long post

>> No.14841034

>>14840834
wait until the end of your last year/beginning of the summer after you graduate, unless there's a reason to be connected with the professors (i.e. conferences or collaborations).
I see some risks about doing it too early, which is that they simply forget you when the application time rolls around. however, if you're able to establish a pretty serious interaction with them, that gives you more time to develop it.
it depends on what you're trying to do. for me, I just wanted to get my name out there, have a chat with them about their work, and find out if they were taking students. so I didn't reach out too early. if you can establish a research collaboration with someone, or even just have some really good and directed questions for them, then it might be worth reaching out earlier.

>> No.14841136
File: 149 KB, 840x1200, FU5XeSnUYAEj6Yk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14840417
Nice cope, keep seething over CS chads.

>> No.14841312

>>14834644
I don't think it matters anymore. Princeton has literally stopped accepting math GRE scores.

>> No.14841547

>>14834644
>International student btw.
A bit vague, isn't it? Iranian?

>> No.14841722

What is the shortest acceptable time to stay at a job to future employers? For some additional context: it is my first job actually using my degrees (data analyst, bachelor's in biology and mathematics). I don't mind the work, I just hate the people in my department. I aspire to become a data scientist or swe, but wouldn't mind another data analyst role for now. Google says 2 years is minimum, I've heard others say 1, I've been here for 8 months. I can provide more context on my skills and projects if needed

>> No.14841957

>>14841722
context

>> No.14842094

>>14833216
Would employers think you were wierd to do an engineering degree in the EU if you're older than thirty and already have z masters in econ?

>> No.14842457

>>14834644
The thing that you should know about the US is that everything revolves around black people.
Most programs have stopped requiring GRE scores because it put blacks at a huge disadvantage and essentially made them not qualified for admittance.
Most programs still give you the option to submit scores, so if you have scored exceptionally well, it still might help you.
But know that if there is a black applicant, they will take them over you every time, since that is after all the entire purpose of nixing the test requirement.

>> No.14842473

>>14833216
>welcome to STEM
>not STEM edition

>> No.14842721

>you must be able to lift 50 pounds
Considering mentioning I am a strapping young lad in my cover letter

>> No.14843120

>>14840307
>physics majors don't know how to program
I learned C during undergrad internship - I was just handed K&R. That was before I did my PhD in Physics.

>> No.14843240

>>14841722
I'm in the same position. I refused a data scientist role because it paid like 10k euro less.

Job hopping early on in your career is more accepted especially in IT.

>> No.14843252

Is applying on a company's website better or worse than applying through indeed?

Sometimes, Indeed gives you a field for writing or attaching cover letter whereas the companies posting might not. Even if it's not required, then I could still be doing better to attach one, right? right?

>> No.14843327

>>14841722
first job? you can get away with leaving in a year or maybe a bit less. Just explain your goals don't align with the company anymore and you're looking for a role that better fits you. Not really the end of the world and most employers will understand you're just starting out, just gotta explain it well. Or tell them you want to be closer to your family or some shit.

>> No.14843333

>>14843252
Apply through the company website. All my interviews I applied directly. Maybe like 1 or 2 I got from indeed, but I don't think it makes a difference if you submit a cover letter or not. All the times I submitted one I never heard back, so I just submit a bunch of applications and see what sticks.

>> No.14843838

Final year into my Math CS Double Major and I felt like I took the bait hard. My gpa isn't great because I struggle with the math and the double major hasn't particularly opened any doors. Hell I'm not even sure what I can do with the Math portion of my degree since all of my internships were pure cs related

>> No.14843895

>>14843838
>he fell for the double major meme

>> No.14844137

>>14843838
>he double majored with math but didn't have a planned area of cs that needed the math
lol

>> No.14844334

>>14843838
unless you do math for the sake of doing math, don't, learn all the calculus, algebra, probabilities/stochastic models you need and then stop there, all physics is described with this math, the rest like topology or whatever is useless if you want to work in a practical field.
I still encourage you to learn logic and graph theory if you are a CSfag but that's about it.

>> No.14844387

freshman physics major here, how do I pivot to IT and make a fuckton of money? I have accepted that I'm a brainlet who will never be even a millionth as good as dirac or feynman. Some stuff about me:
>been using systemd/linux for half a decade now, could probably get an rhcsa or something with a little prep
>know python, currently learning lisp
>only cs projects are a werc clone and a thumbnail_index clone since I couldn't get thumbnail_index to work on my vps
>do stuff like running a matrix server, xmpp server, tor relay, irc bouncer, etc.
>contributed to the sneedacity readme
What exactly should I do to get employed at FAGMAN or whatever with a six figure starting position? I really have no idea what to do. Data science? ML? Aimlessly grind Leetcode?

>> No.14844397

>>14844334
Shut the fuck up worthless trash

>> No.14844431
File: 174 KB, 1918x973, my_werc_clone.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14844387
common lisp*
getting a job at a place like google X would be so cool but it seems impossible

>> No.14844549
File: 2.03 MB, 480x480, burning-wojak-pink-wojak.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>chemistry major
>shit gpa
I don't wanna die bros...

>> No.14844641

>>14833216
I'm in genomics and I hate programming,
Any viable avenues? Im mostly interested in gene editing, application to bacteria seem the most common but idk

>> No.14845052

>>14844334
Mechanics uses topology.

>> No.14845508

>>14843838
lmao this is a common mistake. A lot of CSfags get egotistical and end up doing the double major meme. They quickly realize that upper level math classes such as real analysis are a lot more difficult than anything in undergrad CS.

As a result, they end up tanking their GPA and limiting their prospects for employment and grad school.

some advance: Unless you have a really high IQ, do not attempt both math and CS. Just focus on CS and finish with a strong GPA.

>> No.14845514

>>14845508
some advice*

>> No.14845533

anons I'm an EE student, we are going to finish multivariable calculus and its the last thing we will do about math, what can I do more? I really liked math and even if it isn't much correlated with engineering I want something that will help me improve my problem solving

>> No.14846067

Is having a publication during your undergraduate important? I've heard some big industry research departments (like Google's) might want undergraduate research interns to have one. I've done a research internship but wasn't able to produce a paper and aren't sure if not having publications is going to be an issue if I want to do research-related things in the future.

>> No.14846092

>>14845533
You will use it a lot in electromagnetics.

>> No.14846130

>>14845533
Just take more math. Numerical Analysis should be useful.

>> No.14846165

>>14840870
Sounds like a good job. Structural biology, x-ray crystallography, biophysics as a PhD project is nothing more than hoping your buffer solutions work. If they don't work, well, crap. With a bachelor's degree, you need a lot of work experience to make a lot of money. Here in Europe, or at least in Germany, a bachelor's in biochemistry means you are a lab assistant without much practical experience. Without a Master/PhD, it will be difficult to find a well-paying job as an entry-level scientist. The new trend is bioinformatics/computational biology, even my broken university is funding a new masters program for it. I guess you could bite your way through a PhD to be able to lead research groups and make more money. If I remember correctly, that's pretty much impossible with a Master's degree and less than 20 years of experience.

>> No.14846546

>>14843838
>Math and CS double major
I remember I wanted to double major and quickly threw that thought away realizing I would have to stay a year longer than I needed. I knew of one guy doing a double major, EE and CE and as far as I know he did complete it, but son was pretty smart and he lived on campus the whole time. Or at least it seemed like it. He also went hard during summers. That shit is not for everyone. I would only do it if I had an easy senior year, but even then do you really want to load up on your last 2 semesters?

>> No.14847059

>>14845533
Fourier analysis.

>> No.14847107

Anons how do you cope with lack of sleep during 4 years of undergrad? While I've stayed up late nights and woke up early during school life, that was mostly my fault for staying up late to game. But now, I'm forced to stay up late to catch up studying and awaken early to catch the 8am class and I am very much not used to this.
None of the lessons go through my head and I go through the day feeling like a zombie.

>> No.14847112

Anons, how good will a Physics minor be to go with my EE major in undergrad? Most of the electives I wanted aren't available. I heard that Physics minors and majors are highly sought after especially in the R&D fields. Is it worth taking fewer electives and more semesters for a Physics minor?

>> No.14847120

LMAO. Its hilarious how you nerds let 'art' muscle in to become STEAM.

As if art required the same level of intellectual rigor as the others. Its laughable. Fucking toddlers do 'art' with their crayons.

Why not just womens it too and just become STWEAM!

Personally I think given how laughably poor the levels of 'science' have become these days (non-replication crisis, everyone paid off, everything super political), it should be dropped, and it should just become: TEM

I'll fight anyone who disagrees IRL

>> No.14847504

How could I, scientifically speaking, have the least painful way of finishing a theoretical masters in math and getting an applied math job in the industry? Which skills should I acquire and how should I approach jobs?

>> No.14847540

>>14847120
>implying we had a choice
>he doesn't understand the value of art
>he doesn't understand college is just a scam
>he is a soulless bugman
fight me bitch

>> No.14847559
File: 1.29 MB, 1000x9651, tmEdsHefB3xS.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14847112
>I heard that Physics minors and majors are highly sought after
they aren't, the false rumors you heard were circulated by liars who make their living by misleading gullible suckers like yourself

>> No.14847607

>>14833363
Telling you to give up and get over yourself is the kindest advice

>> No.14847667

>>14847120
Art is the study of the truth through an imperfect lens, it grounds your understanding and keeps you focused on things that actually matter to humans. It benefits from other disciplines, such as math for music theory. Only a robot would reject its importance.

>> No.14847710

>>14847120
>should just become: TEM
Everyone knows these degrees have the actual value. We've always included even life science shit in STEM so the acronym never held meaning nor prestige to begin with. Just let STEAM be a thing, it does not change the reality of the value of the degrees.

>> No.14847722

what can you do with a BS in comp. science besides become a software engineer/dev?

any other lucrative fields you can go into?

>> No.14847797

>>14847540
LMAO. I under stand the 'value' of art. I also understand the value of sewage workers. Doesn't mean I think they should be represented amongst the top level intellectual subjects.

>> No.14847806

>>14847667
LOL...spotted the art student.

Why don't you go to your local 'art' museum and show us where this deep insight into the human condition is shown?

Is its next to the completely plain canvas with 2 different colours painted on it that sold for $5, 650,000, or is it the fat feminist woman making paintings out of her period blood down the hall?

LMAAAOO, keep coping art-fags

>> No.14847809

>>14847710
Art has actual value?

Tell that to the student who just graduated with a degree in fine art. What are they going to work as? A museum curator?

Admit it, art is worthless as a degree subject

>> No.14847822

>>14836082
Why? Are you aware of the risks of doing PhDs? Its going to consume many years of your youth, explain why thats a good thing

>> No.14847824

>>14837618
>>entry level science jobs pay ~$350 a month
Whats the job, supervisor at the science mines?

>> No.14847827

>>14847809
>Art has actual value?
Where did I say that? My post rightly implied that most Science degrees don't have any value either.

>> No.14847834

>>14837677
Science is always good but its just a base for engineering or business. A physicist should be able to understand literally any physical system, be it electronical, mechanical, optical, etc. Physics and chemistry are not useless abstractions like literary criticism, all industry and by extension trade depends on them.

>> No.14847838

>>14847667
Bro everyone recognizes the value of writers, illustrators and musicians. Art is a huge industry, people just hate snobs welding scrap metal

>> No.14847849

>>14847797
like I said, soulless

why don't you go compute some formulas, human calculator?

>> No.14847853

>>14847809
>bases entire perception of value around the job market and college degree system
>no conception of value beyond being a wagecuck
soulless

>> No.14847854

>>14847849
Are you an artist? Post your art

>> No.14847860

>>14847853
You know, enginering is often described as the highest form of art. Somehow you are mixing it up with accounting thinking its about computing some formulas

>> No.14847861

>>14847854
not an artist, just not a soulless wagecuck

>> No.14847866

>>14847860
I didn't know "engineers" could be this stupid honestly

>> No.14847869

>>14847866
What is that supposed to mean? What stupidity?

>> No.14848047

>>14847809
Art is decoupled from value when it isn't held accountable to natural beauty standards and utility.
But then again, all beautiful and artistic buildings will never be inhabited by poor goyim like you. Only Rothschilds and Jews may enter.

>> No.14848263

>>14837618
>>entry level science jobs pay ~$350 a month (yes I'm a third worlder)
With how much we're importing thirdies and shilling STEM, this is a STEM employee's future. Enjoy

>> No.14848278

>>14847107
You just have to get more sleep. Simple as. If you're exhausted you won't retain anything and will make your studying worthless

>> No.14848337

>>14847559
then what should I minor in? CS is too saturated. Besides it makes sense to require knowledge of physics in cutting edge research in semiconductors, electronics etc.
>>14848278
dude how do I "just get more sleep". theres only 24 hours in a day

>> No.14848426

>>14836082
>combines fluid mechanics with radar imaging techniques
Radar and sonar shares some basic concepts, and acoustic body imaginng, including real time blood flow is a huge market. So I guess medical imaging is one possibility.
Far shot: I guess it could be applied to weather radar systems.
More plausible: some companies use radar to monitor fluid levels and waves at sea.

In any case, skills tend to come in handy in unexpected ways.

>> No.14848439

>>14844431
There were rumours recently about hiring freezes at Google, not sure if they have opened up again. We are heaading for stagflation, so getting a job and keeping it will be hard. This also means the number of people applying to postgrad studies will skyrocked just as it did the last few times we had financial headwinds.

>> No.14848450

>>14848337
>dude how do I "just get more sleep". theres only 24 hours in a day
Just do less. Sleep what you must and work on the rest.

>> No.14848568
File: 28 KB, 546x357, db0e8e715b22bcc3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

European EE undergrad here, I only speak Finnish and English plus know enough Swedish/Japanese to read it on a basic level. If I want to work abroad then is there one single language that would benefit me the most?

I've been to some European shitholes where no one speaks English, never been to France or Germany though. What are the language requirements for a job? How big of an plus is it anyway?

>> No.14848660

>>14848337
>dude how do I "just get more sleep". theres only 24 hours in a day
See >>14848450
You need sleep, and you need to make it a priority. The extra few hours of studying are not worth it (it's how Tesla almost fuckin died in university, the stress killed him and he dropped out and became a gambling addict)

>> No.14848785

CS is so oversaturated it. Salaries are already starting to go down. By the end of the decade, the average software engineer will be making just as much as a restaurant waiter.

>> No.14848804

>>14848785
what's the next >300k starting ?

>> No.14848829

>>14848804
CS was never a 300K starting salary field. Let's make that clear.

The thing about CS is that it's ridiculously easy at most state universities. It's not hard to learn to code. Any retard can learn the basics of data structures, divide and conquer, and greedy algorithms, etc.. Furthermore, most software engineering/developer positions don't even require a CS degree. So you're competing with a fuck load of people.

While EE/ME will not give you a 300K starting salary, it's always a safe bet. Jobs require an EE/ME degree and the competition in the job market is no where near as intense because unlike with CS, you have to be somewhat intelligent to get an EE/ME degree, and so that leaves a much smaller pool of job seekers.

>> No.14848871

how useless is a masters in optics

>> No.14848989

>>14848804
Doctor. The medpill was always the answer.

>> No.14849353
File: 7 KB, 424x119, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Getting back the results of the Basic Examination today, I'm shaking bros

>> No.14849433

>>14833216
>Want to do phd
>Look at what theyre doing at dream uni
>Theres a group that does exactly the research I want to do
>Theyre looking for people with my exact profile
>Top guy in group even worked in exactly the same research institute I am working at
>Friend suggest I email the guy asking for his input once I start my masters thesis, that this will help me tremendously
What do you think? Should I?

>> No.14849438

>>14844549
learn2code now, loser
or become a salesman woman or something in between

>> No.14849455

>>14845533
Random walks and electrical networks

>> No.14849499

>>14849438
Is MATLAB coding....?

>> No.14849510

STEM as a collection of fields of sciences is pretty random.
I mean, you can say they are loosely held together by their math content, and you can say Art has no math at all, and that's fair.
but then what about psychology, or economics, or medicine? those have a lot of math (certainly as much as or more than biology does) but are not included in STEM

>> No.14849539

>>14849499
no lmao lol

>> No.14849548

>>14849510
Psychology has a massive replication crisis. The standards are completely different, it can hardly be considered a rigid science.

>> No.14849585

>>14849510
I don't know about that anon, it's always feasible to move from one field to another within STEM.
I started as CS only, moved to EE through good grades in hardware classes, and after studying photonics, electromagnetism and optics I'm now in Physics (mostly electromag and quantum, I don't know shit about thermo/mechanics).

>> No.14849587

>>14848568
If you can learn Finnish you should be able to learn any language you want. English is the go to language for any civilised place you want to work.

Not sure France is worth it. Unless you have been to any of their écoles normales supérieures etc you will never get anywhere, and if you don't master the language, you will be considered little more than an overpaid toilet washer. Avoid.
Germany is better, and German degrees are accepted in the civilised world.
Considered doing a PhD and a postdoc in Japan? That way you can use your language skills and rack up a good score on the official language proficiancy exam.

>> No.14849592

>>14849433
>Want to do phd
Go for it!
You live only once. It is when you are young you can afford to take risks and you are not yet used to disposable income. Run. Now.

>> No.14849606

>>14848568
Don't go to France, the engineering schools are gatekept by elitist institution and they're not even worth the effort considering the poor international rankings of the schools.
Germany has good schools, but if you have the money for it, I'd suggest going to the EPF/ETHs in Switzerland, pick one depending on your language proficiency, ETH is a little bit better but overall both schools are some of the best out there and exchanges between the two are very common and the procedure is simplified.

>> No.14849697

Is it dumb to defer a job by a few months?
I got two offers and one is temp. I can do the temp and not pay a single cent since I live in my parents basement but the other means moving cities. I would like to do the temp first then do the permanent. I don't know if they would dump me right there if I said that to them. Plus, I would need to figure out where to live and transport which would delay the permanent job anyways by a month or two. The temp job could last six to seven months.
Additional info:
graduate who completed their degree just a month ago

>> No.14849918

>>14833588
So what's the root cause here, did you dad walk out?

>> No.14850111

i know it's not exactly stem but is medicine good field to get into? how hard is it

>> No.14850113 [DELETED] 

>>14833216
>STEAM
why don't they add every field at this point?
at least STEM was all the same generalized niche
is it because there's more women in art?

>> No.14850153

Is failing my first math exam in first year of engineering a sign i should drop out?

>> No.14850421

>>14833216
Thought's on university hospitals?

>> No.14850507

>>14850153
No, but asking this question on sci is a sign you’re a weak faggot and/or dont really want to be an engineer

>> No.14850537

>>14833216
Ok, let me run something by ya real quick.
My current research involves making analytical equations to describe micro level corrosion phenomenon in alloys which haven't been extensively studied. I'm thinking of trying to branch out and work on either a.) developing more advanced corrosion mitigation techniques for use in orbital infrastructure capable of withstanding the high radiation and ions there or b.) Corrosion mitigation via a focus on diffusion based sacrificial replacement and "sealing up" of developing corrosion pits or mitigating the weakening of the grain boundaries.
Would these be more solid state physics or solid state chemistry?
I'm trying to figure out which field is more what I'm trying to get at so I can narrow down applicable grants and reference books.

>> No.14850703

>>14849606
>Don't go to France
Is this a general advice or just limited to engineering?

>> No.14851214

>>14849353
Goodluck anon, you will make it

>> No.14851233

>>14849499
MATLAB is used by people who already have jobs and need to quickly bang out A couple matrix operations or optimize something. Not really something I’d learn to get a job.

>> No.14851378

>>14849510
Medicine is applied biology and chemistry, but economics is just political ideology under a mathematical veil, and psychology is just philosophy taking itself too seriously.
Math isn't a science, even though it's used by the natural sciences for the sake of coming up with ways to analyze and predict behavior in natural phenomena. It's more like tightly bound abstract collections with definite forms.

>> No.14851395

>>14848829
>unlike with CS, you have to be somewhat intelligent to get an EE/ME degree
How smart do you actually have to be? I thought the main barrier to studying EE/ME course topics was the need to procure physical materials, unlike with programming, that anybody with a computer can do at home.

>> No.14852402

>>14851233
most engineers spend several years learning matlab

>> No.14852699

>>14851395
lol no. the math is a lot uglier and more intense. Especially in classes like electromagnetism, control theory, and communication systems.

it's not just the math either. the topics are just more difficult to grasp. they're more abstract and often counter-intuitive.

it's doesn't help that you also have to learn quantum mechanics in classes related to semiconductors and devices

>> No.14852779

>>14851233
MATLAB is very heavily used for very elaborate scripts in test engineering for radars and satellites

>> No.14852845

starting college soon for an associate's in engineering with the goal of transferring into a bachelor's degree program. How it works is you choose the engineering electives based on what the university requirements are for your chosen degree. The requirements for CE and EE are identical except for one extra course for CE, so basically if I take the courses required for CE I could get into either one. Which one should I choose? Both sound interesting to me.

>> No.14853255

>>14852845
just b urself

>> No.14853509

>>14850703
Not him, but as far as I know, paternity tests are illegal there without a court order. That alone is reason enough not to live there for me. Also French is kind of a gay language.

>> No.14853705

Is it possible to get a refund for a useless degree?

>> No.14853775

>>14853509
>paternity tests are illegal there without a court order
I have herd that too.

>That alone is reason enough not to live there for me
Perhaps time to add to the FAQ, unless someone else can come up with any redeeming info.

t.FAQ editor

>> No.14853803

>>14853705
kek

>> No.14853820

Does anyone have any advice for the cs interviews. I do leetcode, but I feel like I can never "learn" the solution, I'm just memorizing how to do a specific problem.

Also can someone give me an example of working together in a team, and overcoming challenges. Question always throws me for a loop since I haven't really done that.

>> No.14853848

I've studied physics and I have a job interview for a development engineering job next week.
Does anybody have some advice?

>> No.14854358

>>14853820
Make block diagrams for each solution

>> No.14854607

Say you want to pick 2 things out of 10. Obviously it's 10C2, but do you also divide by 2 because you can get {1,2} or {2,1} as a combination? I've severely confused myself here.

>> No.14854613

>>14854607
Assuming you're picking 2 numbers out of 10

>> No.14854619

>>14854607
Instead of muh combination, think of tuples. You want to pick 2 things, so consider a 2-tuple. There are 10 possibilities for the first position, 9 possibilities for the second. Therefore number of valid tuples are 10x9, which is equal to 10P2.
Now if you do not care about order, you divide by the number of permutations of the 2-tuple, since you are overcounting for every permutation. The number of permutations is 2!=2. Therefore, final answer is 10x9/2. This 10C2.
10C2 is already unordered, so you don't need to divide.

>> No.14854628

>>14854619
Thanks

>> No.14854666

>>14833216
God job hunting sucks. You don't realize just how under qualified you are until you look at job postings. I've been doing electrical design work, motion control, and some programming on the side. But because I don't use PLCs at work (everything's done on a server), it's hard to get my foot in the door at other places.

>> No.14854857

do i still have hope if i did bad in high school? graduated with a B+ last year and about to start engineering school this year, i dropped a year because of entrance exams, is it over for me /sci/?

>> No.14854865

>>14854857
No

>> No.14854921

Anyone did a PhD in Japan?
I'm a MatSci master student I'm considering Germany, Switzerland, Netherlands and Japan for a PhD.

>> No.14854982

any advice on preparing for interviews with leetcode?

Should I focus on tackling as many questions as I can using brute force, or should I take it slow and learn the most efficient way possible?

>> No.14855057

>>14849433
That sounds awesome dude

>> No.14855120

Which EE subfield pays the best?

>> No.14855124

>>14855120
Software or management lol

>> No.14855125

>>14855120
To add to this. I am currently doing something akin to computer engineering with a focus on (tele)communication.

>> No.14855194
File: 62 KB, 1024x600, secretarybird.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14852699
>electromagnetism, control theory, and communication systems.
Those three appear in my university's CS course list as well.
>ou also have to learn quantum mechanics in classes related to semiconductors and devices
I've never seen a single EE program description or course list that had quantum physics in it.

>> No.14855214

>>14855194
A few schools require Physics 3/Modern Physics/Quantum Physics for their EE undergrads because of some topics overlapping with semiconductor theory.

>> No.14855279

>>14846067
It's fairly uncommon for undergrads to have their own publications, though the general feasibilty varies by field. It would be normal for a research employer to want some demonstration of previous research interest, which practically means a research internship. Maybe in your field such internships will often lead to publications if successful, but in any case as an undergrad research intern you normally don't have that much control over things.

>> No.14855290

>>14855214
Post 1.

>> No.14855304 [DELETED] 
File: 43 KB, 843x502, sci quantumfag btfo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://engineeringphysics.weebly.com/uploads/8/2/4/3/8243106/unit_iv_semiconductors.pdf
Quantumfag btfo

>> No.14855309

>>14855194
>Those three appear in my university's CS course list as well.
What kind of CS requires controls theory? That seems very odd.

>> No.14855317

I'm so thoroughly demoralized. I've started a postdoc recently. It's not too bad from what I can tell so far, but I've started to doubt whether I can make it in academia after all. The people around me seem to just know what they're doing a whole lot better, certainly have better publication records and I feel like a lame duck. My PhD went to shit for reasons beyond my control and I've felt like I fell off the wagon ever since. It's a temporary position of course, and I'm paid peanuts compared to the cost of living here. This path doesn't really make sense unless I can secure some sort of early career fellowship soon, and I'm realizing that probably won't happen.

The sensible thing, then, would be to start looking for a real job, only I don't even know what to look for. The people from my PhD department who left academia all seem to have gone in to shit like consultancy or software. I can't code for shit and I think I'd be laughed out of any consulting job interview. I feel like I've worked very hard for over a decade to not really end up anywhere.

>> No.14855323

>>14855309
I saw control theory together with automata theory. I'm not sure if it's standard, but I know that's how it appears at my university's course list description for CS. Then again, a lot of the stuff that falls under the umbrella of CS courses in my university seem to be what other universities would classify as CE courses.

>> No.14855341

>>14855317
How old are you?

>> No.14855343

>>14855194
>Those three appear in my university's CS course list as well.
post your university's course catalog here. i don't believe this shit for one second

>>14855194
>I've never seen a single EE program description or course list that had quantum physics in it.
EE majors are going to require to take a class on semiconductors and that requires basic quantum mechanics

>> No.14855344

>>14855341
28. Didn't have any breaks in there or anything, just how the system works where I've been.

>> No.14855367

>>14855343
https://www.uanl.mx/oferta/licenciado-en-ciencias-computacionales/
I saw Electromagnetism in second semester Physics.
Control theory is covered inside of the course named Teoria de automatas (Automata theory).
Communications Theory is covered in "Introduccion a las Telecomunicaciones" (Introduction to Telecommunications), an elective course, found in the file named "Unidades de Aprendizaje Optativas".
Oh, and the course named "Microprocesadores" (microprocessors) covers semiconductors as well.

>> No.14855370

>>14855367
Sasuga Spics relying on people not knowing Spanish to make outlandish claims about what their university courses cover.

>> No.14855388

>>14839294
Do not judge a field based on it's experts

>> No.14855401

>>14855290
http://catalog.wcu.edu/preview_degree_planner.php?catoid=36&poid=4774&returnto=1195&print

>> No.14855421

>>14855401
>http://catalog.wcu.edu/preview_degree_planner.php?catoid=36&poid=4774&returnto=1195&print
> Modern Physics
That's a bit of an oddity.
https://ee.caltech.edu/academics/ugrad
Caltech doesn't have any modern physics or quantum physics on its required course list.
http://catalog.mit.edu/degree-charts/electrical-science-engineering-course-6-1/
MIT lists a solid state circuits course, but it doesn't mention anything about quantum physics in its description.
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/electronic-and-electrical-engineering-beng
UCL does not list anything related to quantum physics or modern physics, despite having a nanotechnology minor offered.

>> No.14855430

>>14855421
Stanford is an example of an S-tier school that requires modern physics for electrical undergrads.

>> No.14855505

I graduated EE, should I try to go into software?
I've been applying for EE jobs and all of them are really shitty working conditions for like $65K a year. Then I see people posting on this board how they are making like $180K a year working from the comfort of their home and I think I'd rather do that, just not sure how you get into it.

>> No.14855512

>>14855430
But would you say the average electrical engineer has studied and knows quantum physics?
If you were to ask every single person with an electrical engineering in the world if they studied modern physics in college, how many of them do you think would yes? 50% of them? 75% 95% Do you believe all of those people from state universities and provincial technical higher education institutions everywhere from Saudi Arabia to Singapore who got a degree in EE took quantum physics?
If I were to interview random electrical engineer graduates, do you think they would know about the Schroedinger equation and the Klein-Gordon equation?
>>14855505
Do you know about quantum physics?

>> No.14855520

>>14855512
>Do you know about quantum physics?
I'm not interested in your slapfight with the other anon but yes we did have to take a class on modern physics where I went to school.

>> No.14855527

>>14855512
> But would you say the average electrical engineer has studied and knows quantum physics?
No, which is why I said that *some* schools require it

>> No.14855535

>>14855527
All of these programs are accredited by ABET, they have the same or very similar requirements.
>>14855421
>Caltech doesn't have any modern physics or quantum physics on its required course list.
It's right there under Second Year Schedule 2 - EE 40 Physics of Electrical Engineering
>UCL
right there under first year compulsory modules, Physics of Electronics and Nanotechnology

As for MIT they have their curriculum organized like absolute retards so I can't be bothered to go find it but I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

>> No.14855548

>>14836082
you'll take whatever you can get that's tangentially related to your phd

i'd advise you to think twice, fluid mechanics is an absolutely tiny field in terms of available jobs t. work in fluid mechanics

>> No.14855550

>>14838348
>With the number of idiots that can get through CS, the job market's going to be flooded with them by the end of the decade, driving salaries down significantly.
people have been saying this forever, and have been consistently incorrect

CS salaries are higher than ever and traditional engineering salaries are stagnating, the saturation you're talking about has already happened for most of the traditional disciplines

>> No.14855552

>>14855550
>every other field got saturated by CS is immune
ok

>> No.14855557

>>14855552
it will in time, but the other engineering fields are already dramatically more saturated and absolute shitloads of people are still graduating with those degrees every year

not even a CS fag, i'm a mechanical engineer, but this is the reality, maybe some niche areas of EE are still experiencing rapid growth but my friends in me, chem e, and ee had a harder time finding jobs than my friends in CS and their salaries are considerably lower

>> No.14855561

>>14855557
I was a subpar EE student (2.7 GPA, no internship, no research, no activities) and had an easy time finding jobs (9 offers in a 3 month window) the problem is all the jobs are low quality. There's lots of work out there it just isn't glamorous.

>> No.14855563

>>14855561
I was an excellent ME student (3.93 BS, 4.0 MS) and I had no problem getting offers, but I had a real problem finding jobs to apply to that weren't complete low quality dogshit

I think underemployment is a real problem that isn't borne out by employment statistics, the vast majority of jobs that I see (at least in mechanical engineering) could unironically be done by a high school student with a little role-specific training, the true engineering and analysis roles seem to be few and far between and very competitive for mediocre pay

>> No.14855567

>>14855561
also EE is definitely the best traditional engineering field to go into, if I had to redo things I would get an EE degree instead of an ME degree

less saturated (I think statistically it's 2 EE grads per entry level opening, where for ME it's something like 5-6), most of the exciting stuff is happening in EE, easier transition to software if you want to do that, highly in demand in patent law too

>> No.14855571

>>14855563
>the vast majority of jobs that I see could unironically be done by a high school student with a little role-specific training
I've always said the same thing. There is nothing about this that requires a vast intellect. You could absolutely train high school grads to do most of this.
I'm starting to think the real filter that the degree supplies is not IQ but rather behavioral.
Having a degree doesn't mean you are a genius, but it does probably mean you aren't a drug addict, homeless, alcoholic, violent, et cetera. I think that's what they're really looking for and why they avoid anything lower.

>> No.14855576

>>14855571
>Having a degree doesn't mean you are a genius, but it does probably mean you aren't a drug addict, homeless, alcoholic, violent, et cetera. I think that's what they're really looking for and why they avoid anything lower.
I think most of it is just credential inflation, there's just too many people with engineering degrees for the number of actual engineering positions there are

>> No.14855583
File: 40 KB, 1247x480, 07070607097.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14855567
>highly in demand in patent law too
That's weird, I never heard of such a thing so I googled and started seeing postings like this. What's that all about? Why wouldn't they be looking for lawyers? Or is it just assumed that you have a law degree in addition to an EE undergrad?

>> No.14855589

>>14855583
Law degree in addition to EE undergrad or an advanced degree in EE

you can do it with other engineering degrees too but CS and EE are the most in demand by far

>> No.14855597

>>14855589
yea fuck that

>> No.14855599

>>14838166
I couldn't find shit with my Physics BS so I pivoted to software engineering and make 190k first year. The only STEM degrees that can net you more will be Mathematics or Biology to MD. Also Physics nerds gatekeep their shitty government lab gigs to PhD only. I'm likely outearning them at entry level.

Math will only net you more if you can land a super competitive quant role meanwhile FAGMAN employees 120k+ software engineer in the US and starting salary is $160 (MS) - 220k (Meta/Netflix with competing offers).

I'm also on track to promote at 18 months and will hit 250k or if I jump companies and get an external offer I'm looking st 300k+

>> No.14855600

>>14855599
how did you pivot? i'm trying to do the same thing right now, hopefully within the next 6 months before my mechanical engineeing job causes me to shoot myself in the fucking head

>> No.14855601

>>14855597
yeah the barrier to entry in terms of education is fucking outlandish, and apparently the hours are pretty rough especially in big law

>> No.14855604

>>14855600
If you're like me and didn't have any internships then you need to get a research project under some prof where you can write software (likely in C++ or Python). On your personal time you have to interview prep like a normal CS student and practice leetcode. The great thing about leetcode is that it's easier to grasp for those coming from math/physics whereas actual CS students get filtered hard because they never had the "rigorous" courses to train their pattern recognition/problem solving skills.

>> No.14855977

>>14855599
>>14855604
What do you do? Front end or back end? Do you actually enjoy it? The salaries are tempting of course, especially for a Europoor, but I'm worried the actual work as a codemonkey would to be soul-draining and boring.

>> No.14855990

>>14855977
Yeah I find the work comfy because I'm WFH (for now until the inevitable RTO) and I'm good at it. I do backend work but frontend work is good too. Only problem with frontend is the interviews are more favored to CS students and not as algorithmic like backend. There is other types of programming like systems/embedded but they're typically found at companies that don't pay as much like defense and automotive.

>> No.14856008

>>14855990
>I do backend work
lol fag

>> No.14856010

>>14855990
That does sound comfy. I also have a B.Sc. in Physics, my thesis was about a programming project in Python. Maybe I'll go the same route.

>> No.14856042

>>14856010
SpaceX likes to hire Physic grads as software engineers. It even says that in the job listing. I don't know if they can hire non-citizens though. Both of my apps got accepted but the interview process seemed too daunting for less pay/more hours so I dropped out.

https://boards.greenhouse.io/spacex/jobs/5807190002?gh_jid=5807190002

"Undergraduate degree in physics or engineering discipline"

SpaceX pays pretty well but not quite FAGMAN yet. I predict they will replace Google though as the popular tech company once actual Mars missions get closer.

If you want to stay /sci/ and get close to FAGMAN pay then...

Space (SpaceX)
EV/AV (Rivian, Cruise, Waymo)
Hardware (Apple, Nvidia)
AI/ML (OpenAI, DeepMind)
Robotics (Boston Dynamics)

I didn't include Tesla/Amd/Intel/Blue Origin because they pay shit comparatively.

>> No.14856059

>>14855601
Should I get a master's in a technical field or go to law school for a JD and be a patent attorney. I didn't realize law school is only 3 years that isn't too bad.

>> No.14856063

>>14846165
Not the anon u were replying to but would you recommend bioinformatics to a guy living in a country where there's no industry related to it? Would i be able to use the degree in something else like analysis or would it be completely worthless.

>> No.14856064

>>14856042
Thanks for the suggestions.

>> No.14856141

>>14856042
thanks, saving this post

>> No.14856145

>>14855990
what would you say are the core skills for a backend position? what should i try to learn in addition to grinding leetcode?

>> No.14856293

>>14855583
>Why wouldn't they be looking for lawyers?
The FAQ has a bit of info about patent stuff. Briefly, they hire people with a technical degree, and then you learn the legal stuff on the job. Normally you will need a master's degree, though a PhD is valued.

>> No.14856299

>>14855601
No need to restrict yourself to big law. IP botiques are more comfy.

>> No.14856507

Is going into Psychology a bad idea? I'm very interested in the human psyche but I'm looking at my university's psychology page and over 90% of the professors are women, which seems like a red flag.

>> No.14856549

>>14855567
I'll second everything this guy said. I've got an ME degree but wish I had gone into EE Thankfully though the degrees are pretty interchangeable after your first job.

>> No.14856554

>>14855583
>Why wouldn't they be looking for lawyers
A patent attorney gets a Cliff Notes version of law school, they aren't a full lawyer. They are focused on one thing: Filing, defending, and prosecuting patents. As such, they need a technical background and only enough law school to do their job.

>> No.14856556
File: 72 KB, 853x1226, College Major Popularity ROI.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14856507
It's a bad idea, but not for that reason.

>> No.14856591

>>14856507
this is STEM career general, psychology is not STEM

>> No.14856610
File: 148 KB, 844x948, der-youtuber-drachenlord.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

germanon here
electrical engineering
mechanical engineering
or industrial engineering ?
mind you I already have an apprenticeship as an industrial electrician

>> No.14856641

>>14855323
what uni? or post the course description i'm curious what kinda controls you would do in a CS degree. what would the coursework look like? what languages?

>> No.14856646

>>14856610
Electrical

>> No.14856651

>>14856059
law and med school are something you really should only bother with if it's something you feel passionate about

>> No.14856656

>>14856507
don't do psych, do something else and work hard at it and then apply to a clinical psychology master's. psych is the ultimate "i don't know what i want to do" degree that everybody goes into because they think it will make them a master of manipulation and interpersonal relationships when really it does the opposite and makes them insufferable

>> No.14856660

>>14856610
As far as I know, EE has the highest starting salary out of those and also a very good ratio between number of graduates and jobs available. However, it might also be more difficult than the other two. You're going to have to deal with complex circuit diagrams, electrodynamics, maybe even a bit quantum mechanics when it comes to things like semiconductors. You have to decide if that's worth it for you and if that kind of stuff even interests you. Don't pick EE if you don't find it interesting.

>> No.14856680

Im studying compsci, going into my third semester now (bachelors). I found the math much more fun than i expected and am thinking about switching to mathematics with some compsci courses mixed in. I would still like to work in tech. Would that be a bad choice for my career?

>> No.14856690

>>14856680
Probably, yes. If you like the math, pursue it as a hobby but keep the compsci job.

>> No.14856710

>>14856680
You are gonna get filtered by undergraduate math and tank your GPA. If you think you'll manage, then it doesn't really matter. If anything employers are probably gonna prefer someone who is experienced in math. But I come from a country where Bachelors in CS does not matter much, so IDK.

>> No.14856721

>>14856690
Thank you for the kind answer. Im thinking the same. Probably there would be no difference if I would be doing a compsci master... I hear people saying you can get all kinds of jobs with a math degree with ease. You think this is just cope?

>> No.14856727

>>14856710
Yeah I am well aware, I have talked to people who did the undergrad math "filter courses" and its barely comparable to compsci math. Definitely would be taking a risk.

>> No.14856728

>>14856660
ok, well, I am "only" 110IQ
so as difficulty is concerned, it is EE>ME>IE ?

>> No.14856739

>>14833499
Not to feed the other dork's ego, but properly formulating a question is often the most difficult step of research. There are so many problems that resist solution simply because it is so difficult to frame the questions about it.

That being said, unless you're a once in a generation type genius, you aren't framing those questions without a proper education (and that's even ignoring that all those geniuses wind up with proper education, anyways).

>> No.14856756

>>14835169
>Are American uni exams easier?
I have never taken a non-US course or exam, but based on the performance I've seen from immigrants in both undergrad and grad school (and accounting for the fact that the immigrants are almost certainly top-performers to get here in the first place) I would say the regular coursework of undergrad is probably a bit easier while the tests are the same, and the coursework of graduate school is the same or harder while the tests are harder. That is, though, mostly for SEA, Chinese, and Middle Eastern immigrants. The handful of European immigrant students I've met seemed to be much more capable as students than most American students, so maybe it is the case that it's just straight up harder? Then again, from what I understand, European high school isn't essentially day care and you only attend if you want an education, so maybe that's it?
The only thing I can say for certain is that this may not necessarily be the case in "gatekeeper" courses, such as calculus requirements you have to take before being allowed into your actual program, such as engineering or CS. Those they usually grade pretty roughly, but you can guarantee the quality of student coming out of them.
>you'll get a C if you score a 79%
Yes, if you get an average grade you'll get an average mark. That's true. I think the biggest difference is that, in the U.S., culturally it wasn't such a bad thing to get 70% in the past. We didn't treat that as though the person had failed. However, as time has moved on, and "average" has become "bad", we now view achieving the expected result as a negative thing.
To answer the obvious question
>but 79% is most of the information, isn't that good enough?
Yes, which is why you pass the course and move on with your area of study. The phrase is "C's get degrees". It's not like you fail the course work. But obviously that's not as good as 80%, or 90%, etc., so it looks better to have higher grades for all the obvious reasons.

>> No.14856761

>>14833216
I’m a 29 going on 30 mining engineering student. Someone’s gotta do it, and unfortunately I got a late start in life. This is best path I could take to cope with my advanced age, I think. Any other mining, metallurgical or welding engineering fags here?

>> No.14856762

>>14856728
>so as difficulty is concerned, it is EE>ME>IE ?
I think so, yes. 110 IQ can be enough, but you have to be determined. It's a big work load.

>> No.14856780

>>14838166
>CS is for retards
Actual CS wrecks everyone who says this kind of stuff. Ironically, most of them couldn't cut it as mathematicians, physicists, or engineers, either. The are mostly at least two-way dropouts that couldn't hack it in education, attacking a legitimate field of study because of an inferiority complex.

t. mathematician working in both CS and engineering who makes less money than his pure engineering or CS counterparts, but isn't a little bitch and hasn't developed an inferiority complex about it

>> No.14856790

>>14856762
I ended up on the west coast for work (also a part time student) and I’ve noticed that certain state college programs have relaxed over the years because of diversity measures. 110 iq is more than sufficient for any of their eng programs now.

>> No.14856796

>>14849499
If you know the basics of MATLAB, you can transfer that over to another language readily.

>> No.14856798

>>14856721
>You think this is just cope?
Personally? Yes that or survivor bias. Compsci (at least from what I've seen) has much more and better job opportunities.

>> No.14856800

>>14848337
>CS is too saturated
It's still the most, or second most, highly sought-after skillset. You could also do stats, considering statistics and data analysis are the current form of literally everything, whether you want to do research, industry development, work in finance, etc. etc.

>> No.14856802

>>14856145
At top companies it's mostly leetcode but during the behavioral they'll ask about basics such as concurrency object oriented program (OOP), version control, reviewing (others) code, and unit/integration testing. I made stuff up for this part but I at least knew what to make up.

Some places may touch system design but system design is usually a critical component of Mid/Senior level interviews.

>> No.14856824

>>14855583
>What's that all about?
You need an expert to be able to articulate exactly how the product is unique (read: what parts of it can't be copied by someone else, without a fee/licensing). Lawyer's know the law, but engineers know the product. Since any serious arbitration or legal process regarding patent infringement is going to handled by a real lawyer hired externally, anyway, you need someone who knows just enough law to file the patents properly a lot of the time. Even then, those "real" lawyers are often hyper-specialized into the field of patents, which is actually very narrow in the big picture of all law.

This is valuable because licensing is now the primary way anyone makes money in any of these career fields. If you aren't a military contractor, you're not making money selling shit yourself, because you don't have the resource+manufacture+fabrication+delivery+maintenance chain held down unilaterally; in our globally connected world, every is as sliced off and obfuscated from the entire process as possible, precisely because it makes sure no one worker makes what he's actually worth while ensuring the most money possible floats to the top.

>> No.14856909

>>14835169
I've studied in both the US and the UK. No, the exams really aren't any easier but they're graded a little "easier" usually but not enough to make them equivalent I don't think.

Getting a 1st in the UK (considered to be a 4.0 gpa, or an 90%+ average) is WAYYY easier than getting a 4.0 gpa in the US. If you show up to class in the UK it's almost impossible you don't get a 2.1 or better in my experience, which is considered to be like 3.3-3.7 gpa but it's not really equivalent. In the US you can easily get a 2.0-3.0 if you aren't putting your mind into what you're doing. I would argue a 70% average in the UK takes about as much effort as like a 3.3 gpa in the US in reality.

That's not to say anything about the quality of education however. Lots of great unis in the UK, all the redbricks are quality

>> No.14856933

>>14855563
>the vast majority of jobs that I see (at least in mechanical engineering) could unironically be done by a high school student with a little role-specific training
>You could absolutely train high school grads to do most of this.
This is what I say about controls engineering jobs. 95% of controls is PLCs and PIDs and I could teach that to a high schooler with pre-calc experience in literally a couple of hours.
>>14855576
I mean if it is just credential inflation, the stats show that engineering graduates make well over a million more dollars over a lifetime on average than a high school graduate. I mean this is the case even for a humanities degree. Whether or not it's all just a show, university degrees are not the scam people make them out to be

>> No.14856934

>>14856064
>>14856141
anons he posted companies that hire 100 people a year from mit and harvard lmao saving this gonna do shit m8

>> No.14856941

>>14847559
>they aren't,
Source??

t.Physicist

>> No.14856959

>>14856933
>This is what I say about controls engineering jobs.
As a control researcher who has never had an industry job, I have no first-hand experience with PIDs, but everyone else in my lab has a virtually identical story: they saw PIDs in textbooks and curriculum and never thought twice about them after, but their first industry interview asked them to design a PID.
I think it's pretty funny that, as a researcher, I'm trying to use complex mathematics to prove that neural nets can implicitly compose non-composable functions so we can attack complex ODE systems using them, relying on theoretic material from model and measure theory to get there; but if I were to quit and get a job right now I'd be writing basic machine-level code to calculate some algebra in a control architecture that's nearly 100 years old.

That's someone that I think a lot of people don't even realize while getting degrees in cutting edge research - nothing you're learning is actually applicable in the real world, because you're too far past it.

>> No.14857052

>>14856959
>nothing you're learning is actually applicable in the real world, because you're too far past it.
And that's because en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credentialism_and_educational_inflation

Just look at how every engineering job nowadays is a covert for a software one.

>> No.14857757

Holy fuck bros, just found out you can get 100% full ride tuition to places like Colombia by only racking up 20% disability in the military. Gonna go this week and claim ED and bad knees.

>> No.14858100

>>14857757
why would you want to move to south america?

>> No.14858121

>>14858100
Where else do you find normal weight women with big asses AND big tiddies?

>> No.14858182

>>14835169
a D is still a fail in some places, and in others it is looked down upon.

>> No.14858250

>>14856651
They said the same thing about engineering but that was a lie.

>> No.14858356

>>14857757
Assuming you meant Columbia University as in the Ivy League school, the GI bill automatically covers 50% of any private school (or 100% of any public school), and the rest can be covered with the VA Yellow Ribbon program, and the Pell Grant

>> No.14859176

>>14858250
did i mention engineering? no, and you can see the truth for yourself if you would only use your brain. engineering is a career with which you can separate entirely work and life, if you want to, it doesn't need to be a part of your identity. jobs like police officer, physician, and attorney penetrate deeply into your daily life so that even when you are not on the job you are still an "off-duty" police officer or if somebody has a heart attack on your plane you are expected to do your duty as a doctor, not to mention being on-call and your family has to work around a lifestyle dictated by the whims of your exacting career in which anything could happen day-to-day, which again if you aren't passionate about you are going to be miserable for your entire life.

>> No.14859900
File: 155 KB, 931x945, 8CD9BAEB-9520-435F-9BF6-82C1F1A9A730.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14859176
>engineering is a career with which you can separate entirely work and life
EE here, I’m an UNPAID electronics technician and electronics shopping advisor for like 20 friends and family members.
Checkmate

>> No.14859970

>>14835169
>Are American uni exams easier?

You can't generalize American universities. They widely differ depending on their ranking.

Getting straight A's at some shitty state school is a lot easier than getting C's and D's at a top 20 school.

>> No.14860059

>>14854921
>Anyone did a PhD in Japan?
A friend of mine did while I did my postdoc in the same city. He got is PhD, was very happy with it, got married there and still lives in Japan.

>> No.14860094

>>14859970
Not true. Majority of top schools (especially Ivies) have rampant grade inflation so that their students will have better career placement.

>> No.14860118

25 years old with humanities degrees. I have enough savings to last 3 years give or take. Really want a job where I feel like I’m producing meaningful shit. Is going back to school for a Chem E degree a good decision?

>> No.14860229

>>14855317
You sound just like me. I made it, you will to.
WAGMI.

>> No.14860269

>>14833216
Sup /sci/bros
I just transferred to a CS BS program from community college.
I was wonder what should I do to stay ahead or even fill gaps?
I studied a lot of math but wanted to do something more applied after my proofs class.

>> No.14860360

>>14860118
> Is going back to school for a Chem E degree a good decision?
No you fucking idiot, ChemE is a dead field.
> I was wonder what should I do to stay ahead or even fill gaps?
Nothing, you don’t need to study ahead, just show up to class and you’ll pass

>> No.14860379

>>14860360
Why is Chem E dead? Are there other engineering majors with growth potential? EE for example?

>> No.14860403

>>14838240

I loved EE In school, fucking hate the workplace.

>tons of non-engineers over you and around you
>typical office setting
>bullshit small talking
>how was your weekend? oh i took my son to get some new shoes, blah blah blah, carpet installed this weekend, blah blah, new washer/dryer combo, blah blah blah
>women gossiping about people and spreading rumors
>sycophants and brown nosers
>management who doesn't actually produce anything but walk around with a stern face and pretend like they care
>TPS report scene from Office Space is so fucking real, these people exist and are paid a lot more than you
>75% of the workforce are all older engineers who forgot all of the theory and are mostly just project managers, counting beans, updating spreadsheets, and sending emails asking for status on work items
>fucking slideshows, managing your calendar/tasks/commitments, someone is fucking your project - your job is to make them care, and pointless meetings that eat up most of your day and don't amount to anything

$110k/year engineer 6 years in

Fucking kill me

>> No.14860415

>>14860379
> Are there other engineering majors with growth potential? EE for example?
That is a much, much better option.

>> No.14860668
File: 155 KB, 954x1108, math 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14856680
read pic rel in one month
if you do it within the time easily then go for it, otherwise just keep math as a hobby
or maybe think about applied math.

>> No.14860673

>>14838253
those jobs can be done by dime a dozen indians

>> No.14860674

>>14856780
>pure CS theory is harder than undergrad retard CS
no shit you dumb bastard

>> No.14860854

>>14860673
then why do fagman pay $150k+ starting?

there is a big difference between what you get in india vs what you get in the states

>> No.14860916

>>14860854
they hire the top 1% of india, china, and europe. us has been brain draining the rest of the world with the american dream since it was founded

>> No.14861171

>>14860854
To deprive the competition of talent.

>> No.14861278

has anyone who graduated in STEM had a live worth living ? IE friends, hobbies, maybe even a gf while studying ?
asking for a friend

>> No.14861355

>>14860668
I think it is more likely than not that I would not make it (our uni's math faculty is one of the best in Germany) but I would be willing to take that risk. I just really enjoy programming and would like to do that as a job. But in academia compsci doesn't seem as interesting as math.
Anyway, are you implying it wouldn't hurt my career? Anyone have experience with tech jobs specifically in Europe?

>> No.14861476

We hit 320 posts in 11 days and 11 hours, a little slower than last time.

Also:
https://archive.is/gJQMX

>> No.14861654

>>14844387
>>14844431
guys help, please
i want money
>>14848439
DOH

>> No.14861769

>>14861278
>friends
Thankfully no
>hobbies
vidya
>gf
yes

>> No.14861833

I feel like I wasted 2 years if my life doing my ME Master. I thought I was supposed to specialize in something but my courses ended up being all over the place. My thesis? 90% of my time spent on it was me trying to get these stupid bloated softwares to work and not so much actual research.

>> No.14862271

>>14858356
I'm aware the GI bill doesn't cover all of it, the problem with schools like Columbia is the yellow ribbon program has a very small quota and you cannot pre-guarantee it will be available for the entirety of your program.
If I go to base medical and claim ED and that my knees hurt, that is enough to get chapter 31 benefits, which means full ride at any university such as Columbia. That would include BAH of over 4k/mo which I could "pay" my aunt in Morningside, and live like a king while attending a top school.

>> No.14862410
File: 43 KB, 640x640, ComfyDogBlanket.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14861278
>has anyone who graduated in STEM had a live worth living ?
Sure. Life is good.
>IE friends,
Not many but those I have I can rely on. A friens of mine had 3000 "friends" on FB but got exactly zero help when losing the job.
>hobbies,
Does 4ch posting count? I also like to read, tend my garden etc.
>maybe even a gf while studying ?
Yes, but I was so burned out that it didn't get far. Then I did the postdoc rounds which is impossible to combine with a social life.

>> No.14862505

>>14862410
>hobbies,
>Does 4ch posting count?
Anon, I...

>> No.14862571

>>14856059
>Should I get a master's in a technical field or go to law school for a JD and be a patent attorney.
If you are in the US you should do at least a master's degree and then join at patent law firm who will train you. When you pass the exam you will be a patent agent. If you also take a law degree, you can become a patent attorney.
Some firms such as Qualcomm, train a lot of their people as patent attorneys.

>> No.14862580

>>14856507
>Is going into Psychology a bad idea?
Yes. Read what Feynmann wrote about psychology, it remaisn valid today.

>> No.14862620

>>14860379
>Why is Chem E dead?
Very little demand. I know someone with this background, had a hard time getting a job.

>> No.14862624

>>14862505
P-please!

>> No.14862667
File: 271 KB, 2000x1435, 1441631044-JZGqp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Last post!