[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 131 KB, 512x512, 92EDA2AE-9D4D-4077-8B60-3347C3B9BF53.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14823025 No.14823025 [Reply] [Original]

If you haven’t made significant scientific contributions by the age of 30 it’s fucking over. The life cycle of a modern scientist is basically publishing in top tier journals before the age of 30 and then just coasting your whole life, delegating students, bringing in funding, and getting praise for those young minds.

>> No.14823041

>>14823025
So you've realized science is a fucking meme. Good. You're free. Time to move on and do something actually worthwhile with your life instead of LARPing as a genius.

>> No.14823057

wrong
http://arstechnica.co.uk/science/2016/11/young-scientists-dont-have-the-most-impact-or-make-the-biggest-discoveries/
have hope, fren

>> No.14823075

>muh social snowflake unique "contribution" which i want strictly for vanity sake
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism
>Ernest Jones (1913) was the first to construe extreme narcissism, which he called the "God-complex", as a character flaw. He described people with God-complex as being aloof, self-important, overconfident, auto-erotic, inaccessible, self-admiring, and exhibitionistic, with fantasies of omnipotence and omniscience. He observed that these people had a high need for uniqueness.
>He observed that these people had a high need for uniqueness.
>muh unique special snowflake individual "contribution" where what i'm donating is allowing others to worship my unique special snowflake superior intelligence and insight.

>> No.14823098

There havent been any significant contributions after 1899

>> No.14823108

>>14823075
literally me

>> No.14823120

>>14823075
Why do oversocialized bugs like you get bent out of shape when someone displays basic humans needs, like someone wanting to play a meaningful role within the social context? You have to realize that the eusocial insect breeding program that produced you is going to take a bit longer than a few centuries to finish off humanity.

>> No.14823135

>>14823098
that year might not be a coincidence. "theory of the leisure class: a study of institutions" was published in 1899, the book put all of the university and governments types' private transgressions on public display. once the government and academic types found out the cat was out of the bag they probably all decided to focus their intellectual efforts exclusively on social damage control and long term financial stability (wealth hoarding) rather than on doing their jobs.

>> No.14823223
File: 3.82 MB, 4272x2555, ModernAcademia.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14823057
>have hope, fren
>The Q parameter is stable during an individual’s career and accurately predicts the evolution of a scientist’s impact, which comes through factors that include independent recognition and cumulative citations.
Wow. What a "refreshingly inspirational" article...
Just circlejerk each other's fraudulent bullshit, and suddenly you'll be be considered a "Genius", with plenty of wealth, and "authority" to LARP as an "Expert" who can ruin Civilization for fun.

>> No.14823228

>>14823120
i understand that you became upset and defensive when you were confronted by a description of narcissism which fits your own personalty exactly.
must be upsetting to find out that you're not really a special snowflake, but instead a type so bland and predictable that scientists were able to taxonomically categorize you more than a century ago. don't put all of the blame on yourself, you've been intentionally programmed to be like you are via media exposure, advertisers aggressively push the uniqueness meme because it makes the consumers who fall for the meme spend more money. parental neglect also accounts for a lot of the blame, every child who develops a personality disorder gets to be that way as a result of irresponsible parenting.

>> No.14823253

>>14823228
>i understand that you became upset and defensive when you were confronted
I'm not OP. I think OP can use his realization to free himself. I'm just amused by your irrational seething and lack of basic humanity. Not reading your post any further, by the way.

>> No.14824588

>>14823025
reminder that Ludwig Boltzmann killed himself for believing he hadn't made 'sufficiently significant' scientific contributions by 30. There was extreme pressure to do this, especially in pre WWII Germany.

In modern times, research is mainly not carried by individual brilliance like it once was. If you make any kind of interesting innovation, it will likely only be appreciated by a small circle, unless you have connections to scientific media.

And this all supposes that 'scientific progress' is somehow existentially part of being a human. You don't even have to go full 'uncle Ted' to realize the lies you've been fed from childhood. Read C.S. Lewis 'Downfall of Man' or Jacques Ellul 'Technological Society' sit back, and enjoy the apocalypse.

>> No.14824598

And since this fucking faggot site won't allow me to delete posts after 1 minute anymore:

I made a mistake. It wasn't Boltzmann I was thinking of, it was someone else.

>> No.14824599

>>14823041
Kek

>> No.14824632

>>14824588
You still make a good point bringing up Boltzmann
>>14823025
OP, remember that academia has become an industry. Boltzmann was a professor at 25. It was common to enter academia proper in your mid 20s. Nowadays you don't see full professorship until your mid 30s even if you're a rockstar.
SpaceX engineers that have never published a paper are doing more incredible things than academicucks with double-digit h-indexes. The only person stopping you from doing anything, is you.

>> No.14824634

>>14824588
Boltzmann was an hiro because he came to the realization that his thermodynamic concepts were off base. He was correct about that at least. Unfortunately he killed himself rather than revise. I guess he assumed someone else would come along to do the revisions. That happened eventually, but I refuse to share them with anyone.
Two of the chef issues are somewhat related. A universe with a baseline temperature of 0ºK can't have any energy in it. A cavity radiator cannot emit a blackbody spectrum if it is bathed in background radiation. Accounting for those factor while revising is a fairly large headache and might have been impossible if the baseline temp had not been provided to me by helpful 20th century radio astronomers and their more modern spacefag counterparts

>> No.14824897

>>14823228
kek saved