[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 49 KB, 600x201, statistical mechanics.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14822684 No.14822684 [Reply] [Original]

i've recently become interested in making my own financial model using statistical mechanics.
i've heard from a lot of physicists(usually theorists) that statistical mechanics has applications outside of physics to financial markets. i personally find this hard to believe, it seems like generalizing statistical mechanics to financial agents is non-trivial.
wondering if anyone has any experience generating financial models from statistical mechanics here. i have experience in physics & microeconomics, but less so in accounting.

>> No.14822733

>>14822684
https://youtu.be/n8m7lFQ3njk
This guy is a bit schizo but if you skip to the end he says something really interesting about Einstein,
He remembered seeing a graph measuring the speeds of ions or something in a vacuum and applied that to light which should have a speed
Wether that's the full truth or not, you can follow the same line and maybe see some connections

>> No.14822739
File: 3.14 MB, 2493x2398, fields medal.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oh wow you've just discovered stochastic calculus! Congratulations, here's your fields medal!

>> No.14822981

>>14822684
No. It’s just that statistical physicists have a very firm grasp on stats because they use it to understand physical things. So of course they can apply it easily to something else.