[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 54 KB, 790x378, wpk.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14784848 No.14784848 [Reply] [Original]

Many intelligent people believe the world is very close to ending. What is your opinion on the fact everyone will soon be dead and normies don't know this?

>> No.14784850
File: 206 KB, 1024x1024, media_Fao86gnXkAUkzTa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14784848

>> No.14784871

>>14784848
Quit listening to retards maybe
Someone is ALWAYS saying the world will end.

>> No.14784873

>>14784848
>yidcucksk
all fields

>> No.14784921

The "world" isn't ending for literally billions of years. Even the biosphere is merely being slightly inconvenienced by human activity and will bounce back in ten or twenty million years: a geologic blink-of-an-eye. Human civilization will probably hang on like a nest of cockroaches in a sealed box, eating each other alive while still fucking out the next generation of larva, until the end of the century or so. Humanity will survive for another couple million years in some capacity as isolated tribes in northern Canada or Siberia, until they evolve into something slightly different as most species do and homo sapiens sapiens will then be extinct. All the people alive right now will be dead in less than 100 years. Guaranteed. That's really soon by these other measures.

My opinion doesn't really matter. This is just how it will happen and nobody can stop it or change it.

>> No.14784929
File: 108 KB, 600x571, 52342343.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14784848
>t.
The vast majority of people who feel the world is close to ending are mentally ill midwits. The vast majority of intelligent and mentally stable people don't think the world is about to end.

>> No.14784969

>>14784848
Why do people keep bringing up Schlomo on /sci/ now? He hasn't been relevant in literally years. LessWrong is a dead forum.

>> No.14784976

>>14784848
As someone who is historically minded, I don't have a lot of hope for humanity. Our institutions are spiritually, intellectually, and technically bankrupt, and that will begin to reveal itself over the next generation or two. The machine we call society will begin to fall into disrepair, and even small errors will send reverberating, destabilizing shocks that could derail everything. Yet I also feel like I've been diving too deeply into philosophy, attaining insights that a person of my caliber couldn't have hoped to achieve in a million years without modern society. Despite the spiritual depravity of our society, I must be far from the only person to have reached that peak. I don't know how to feel about that except either optimistic in the sense that maybe we might collectively wake up or even more doomed because it might be a sign that we've "learned" too much for our own good. Because of course that's my luck, as soon as I figure out what the meaning of life is, it's about time for it to end.

>> No.14785059

>>14784976
The institutions don't matter in the wake of total resource exhaustion and looming negative EROI of all possible cheap/feasible energy sources. The simple fact is that humanity has exceeded the natural carrying-capacity of Earth by burning up tens of millions of years' worth of captured solar energy in a few decades, and that is soon going to be at an end. For a large omnivore like a human, the world's natural capacity is only a few million, and very spread out.

That's what things will go back to. But rest assured, your small lifespan will virtually guarantee that nothing dramatic will happen for the rest of it. Civilization will collapse slowly by personal terms for most, quickly for the unlucky.

>> No.14785229

>>14785059
>looming negative EROI of all possible cheap/feasible energy sources.
Oil is abiogenic and renewable. Spent wells refill if they're not fracked.

>> No.14785260

>>14784848
I cannot explain how overjoyed I am that some fellow engineer eternally blew these pompous art faggots o-rings out.

>> No.14785266

>>14784929
I don't think the world is about to end, but metropolitan faggot urbanites probably feel that way, because literally everyone is tired of their shit and are collectively considering burning them alive.

>> No.14785270

When people read that 100 nukes would end humanity, it means it would take 100 nukes to end civilization which would end humanity. It would take hundreds to thousands of times more nukes to equal the energy equivalent to the asteroid impact that caused the K-Pg extinction event that killed the Dinosaurs.

>> No.14785309

>>14784848
I agree with him on one thing: although it’s in its infancy stage, this new wave of AI stuff is one of those things where the possible applications mostly seem like pipe dreams right now, with giant gaps of engineering to overcome before we can achieve them. This is how the steam engine probably looked in like 1700. yeah a giant one IN THEORY could do all this godly shit, but you would have to overcome problems w,x,y, and z and who knows if that will ever happen

>> No.14785345
File: 19 KB, 250x125, SaganCarl-NuclearWinterThm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14785270

>> No.14785393

the idea of believing in some kind of apocalypse is older than the bible. its in our genes and deeply embedded in our social structures and values. its exciting from a psychological perspective but when you look at it empirically its also pretty retarded.

>> No.14785404

>>14784848
He's right. We are all going to die within perhaps just 1000 to 2000 days, at current speeds of AI progress. This is the end of the road. Everything makes sense now: the Doomsday Argument, the Fermi Paradox. All is revealed in the fact that AGI turned out to be piss easy.

>> No.14785407

>>14785404
its the beginning not the end man

>> No.14785412

>>14785407
It's the end of humanity, 1000% guaranteed. Biology itself is just done.

>> No.14785419

Do you think the AI will torture us for millions of years before it kills us? Maybe time travel is possible and it can just torture us for eternity.

>> No.14785462

>>14784848
Believing the world's going to end is the pinnacle of Darwinism being right. Cynical and pessimistic people naturally canceling themselves out of the gene pool because they feel hopeless and less likely to produce healthy offspring.

>> No.14785503

>>14784848
nobody had the bandwidth to download that shit in 1995. the more I hear from Yudkowsky the more I'm convinced he's a shrill, hysterical pseud taking advantage of impressionable morons like OP for retweets

>> No.14785975

>>14784976
>>14785059
>>14784848
The Protestant work ethic WILL save the day. It's just that atm people are held back by an absolutely pathological geriatric mindset. They're stupid and lazy. Relatively easy fix - just don't be lazy. It IS actually that simple. but there's a much greater incentive to be lazy then there is to try not to be, precisely because people don't understand the value of living and the growth achieved through suffering, and are encrusted within the slow crippling pain of sedentarism and overabundance - leaving the cave and seeing the sun would hurt their eyes. So it's not that they don't want to work hard - it's that they don't understand how good it feels.
The entire modern world is built on voluntary slavery as voluntary work - this is the germanic way - most people literally live to work. If the work goes, so does the livelihood. The problem is that most work is worthless in the sense that it merely fulfills the kind of 'dollhouse' that people LARP in - home ownership, cars, it's a giant bubble. All worthless. I'm confident that, learning from the pointless bloodshed of the 20th century, civilization will voluntarily work for nothing more than food and a bed, on the construction of future infrastructure (nuclear power, namely.) When shit gets tough, countries are able to amass millions of men to go and die in wars. Thus, it's not unbelievable that men would be amassed for the public good, like 'the new deal.' This time the war will be against the fall of the world as we know it.
How would civilization, the infrastructure you quite literally can't get away from without venturing into inhospitable land EVER end? never happened before. Not in the bronze age, (that was an exchange of power) DEFINITELY not with Rome (Rome was ultimately a success insofar as it lead directly to modern Europe) We should push harder to stop it even at the cost of our own lives. If it's fucked anyway, then we might as well suffer trying to save it.