[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.45 MB, 498x238, dark-souls-knight.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14503443 No.14503443 [Reply] [Original]

Hello anons.

I've recently been taking some physics classes and realized I like it WAY more than CS. Problem is, I'll be done with CS in 1,5 years.

Is it worth it to study another 2/3 years for physics. I'll be 28 when I'm done, but I'm scared that it'll fuck with me in industry.

What do you fegs say? Just do CS and fuck college or go physics and CS and enjoy my time? My life of gym -> study -> time off is pretty kino atm. Wouldn't mind doing this for another year.

>> No.14503704

>>14503443
Don't study physics. Do literally anything else.

>> No.14503714

>>14503443
Physics will complement CS well if you plan to go into modeling. It gives application to the math. A minor in physics would probably fit in your CS graduation timeline if that's appealing to you

>> No.14503733

>>14503443
I am majoring physics, because i don't care about the industry, and i was just about to make a post on /adv/ how I fucking hate my studies yet I am obliged to pursue them because I don't know any fucking thing apart from doing physics.
I you really care about the industry, i don't understand why you chose physics over statistics or some applied math shit. That would've given you more chances.
and man if you are 28, and still jobless, although you work in CS a field thousand times more applied than physics, I literally have no idea what will happen to me. Just fuck all my life choices. Even fucking crypto is unbelievably expensive, a poor fag like me who just been into adulthood has literally no fucking chance in that big market. just screw my whole existence.

>> No.14503750

>>14503443
3 extra years is a bit much, you could just take some key physics classes and maybe get a minor. Also definitely look into the research groups at your school and talk to the more computational orientated ones about a research project to work on. If you talk to a prof they could also give you advice about which classes you definitely need

>> No.14503794

>>14503443
i have two majors, one in physics and the other CS. i am finishing an electrical engineering PhD. i am deeply valued for my CS experience, but the physics is what enables me to work on cool shit.

think of CS as a tool, and physics or electrical engineering or whatever as your application. you can pursue your applications without proper tools, but proper tools make you much more effective. that being said, a tool by itself has little value.

for instance, i have done some work for start up companies. at one we had an employee that knew CS and math well, but didn't know physics. he got our IT situation worked out, but was unable to contribute to simulations and modeling, so we had to let him go. it's really important to be familiar with applications, just knowing math or how to program isn't really that valuable.

>> No.14503821

>>14503794
what age are you sir? real question, so i can plan my life

>> No.14503843
File: 125 KB, 1024x1003, Reddit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14503443
you sure do seem to like talking about yourself

>> No.14503883

>>14503733
You understood wrong anon, maybe it's my shitty storytelling. I meant that I'll be 28 once I get my physics degree, whereas I'll be younger with CS. Don't know how the job market is.

>>14503704
But why? I like the field and from what I've seen, physics gives way more insight into mathematics and if you do it properly, technology, compared to most engineering degrees. I'm very interested in electronics/electricity/electrodynamics/etc., that's the main reason I want to pursue physics.

>>14503794
Thanks for the advice, haven't thought about it in that way. The biggest thing that's fucking with me is graduating at 28 as opposed to 25/26ish.

Since I've said before that I'm interested in electronics/electricity/etc., would you say that it'd be possible to get into an EE program given that I've taken the following physics courses:
mechanics, thermodynamics, electrodynamics, optics, quarks?
>>14503843
Absolute faggot post.

Thanks for the advice anons. I'm in Germany by the way (I assume the US and EU have different prospects for graduates).

>> No.14503893

>>14503883
>graduating at 28
don't worry about it too much. it really isn't that big a deal. i think i started grad school at 28 after taking my sweet time in ugrad and then not doing anything for a few years. if you go grad school right after you finish ugrad, you should be just fine.

>> No.14503906

>>14503883
>would you say that it'd be possible to get into an EE program given that I've taken the following physics courses
it is definitely possible, but depends on a lot of other factors as well. be mindful that it might be more challenging to get into and succeed at a program that is outside your expertise. but don't let that discourage you from pursuing your interests

>> No.14504152

>>14503883
>I'm in Germany by the way
Oh. Uh, Heil Hitler I guess?

>But why? I like the field and from what I've seen, physics gives way more insight into mathematics and if you do it properly, technology, compared to most engineering degrees. I'm very interested in electronics/electricity/electrodynamics/etc., that's the main reason I want to pursue physics.
Once you get past classical mechanics, physics will force you to learn a lot of worthless stuff that is completely wrong. It's a waste of time and worth fuck all in the job market, which you probably don't care about now, but unless you're set to inherit a large fortune when you graduate, you'll start caring pretty soon.

If you want to do something challenging, spend your time and energy getting good at something like programming, which people will actually pay you to do.

You have a limited amount of time. Do literally anything other than physics.

>> No.14504291

>>14504152
>>14503906
Alright thanks anons. I'll think it through. Maybe I'll just pursue a master's degree in EE at a good TU and take a few useful physics classes here and there.

Godspeed to you guys and wish you the best.

>> No.14504350

>>14503443
I had the same situation, except I started in physics and realized I liked math way more. I ended up with a math major physics minor because I got a 6 figure job offer in software dev before I finished. Otherwise, I would have been willing to finish the physics degree too. I also hated college and am happy to be done with it. I was 28 when I finished and nobody gave a fuck. I also had a 3.5 GPA and nobody gave a shit about that either.