[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 87 KB, 640x480, lalala.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1445420 No.1445420 [Reply] [Original]

In 2 days a creationist is coming to my high school to talk about how creation and evolution, and how creationism is supported by science.

I have no idea of his religion, what type of creationist he is...I am not a profficient biologist by any means -- I'm an inarticulate high school biology student.

We are given question time at the end. The questions need to be really good quality. I do not want to come across as an aggresive radical naturaist or anything. Anything witty I can say that will troll the fuck out of him or to the same effect.

Reply quick, inb4 report + underage + sage sage sage + ban.

>> No.1445430

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4065 to start.

>> No.1445444

"How can you explain the numerous evidence in favor of the synthetic theory of evolution? I mean, even if you ignore the fact that all living beings are made of cells that work in a pretty similar way, that all living beings pass down their characteristics through the same mechanism, the fact that there's vestigial organs and the like in many creatures, the similarities between species, the naturally occuring variations in ALL populations of living beings, the presence of fossil that indicate mammals and birds are pretty recent... how can you ignore we've SEEN and RECORDED instances of speciation?"

Kinda long, but you can pick and choose the bits of evidence you like

>> No.1445447

What the fuck man? Who even allows these kind of talks to happen?

You know what, I don't even care. Sorry bro, I have no good questions for you to ask. Best of luck.

>> No.1445449

Might want to prep yourself by perusing the talk origins archive at:

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/list.html

Then you'll be able to ask questions targeted right at his particular assertions, whatever they may be.

>> No.1445454

Bring a crowbar and beat the crap out of him.
That'll teach him.

>> No.1445459

>>1445420
Explain to the thick shit how creation and evolution can actually exist side by side and science and religion waste time constantly locking horns.

If he keeps being retarded beat him to death with a fucking chair and rid the world of another retard.

>> No.1445505

Ask him why he thinks trying to explain a complex system by putting an even more complex entity in charge of it is a good model.

>> No.1445506

>In 2 days a creationist is coming to my high school

And this is why USA falls behind in world rankings

>> No.1445536

>>1445505

Just to add to this, if he throws out some rubbish about it being the only correct model or the absolute truth or something, tell him that the truth of the matter is irrelevant, as science is the act of looking for simple and effective models and theories to explain things, not the search for absolute truth. Bring Newtons laws of gravitation and the ideal gas laws into it. Both are not absolutely true descriptions of the world, but both are still useful.

>> No.1445576

>>1445505
Do that. And if he comes with shit like, "God created himself, because God is GOD." Then proceed to ask him if he believes that the universe couldn't have created itself, just like life did.

>> No.1445592

Fuck, I wish this could happen to me. Too bad I'm not in highschool anymore though. Ask him why gawwwd made a hole for breathing air and taking in food and water? Why not two separate holes which is logical.

>> No.1445603

http://www.youtube.com/user/Thunderf00t

>> No.1445618

Hey, I know! Let's just put the guy against a wall and shoot him okay? Yeah it's gonna be so cool! No one's gonna do shit about him because he's christian right? Lol fuck these guys its gonna be fun! We can finally see a fresh brain! Hey thats gonna teach us about evolution too, lets totally do it!

>> No.1445620

Your final questions should be:

"Ahahahaha -- where is your god NOW!?"

>> No.1445622 [DELETED] 

>>1445506

Well actually it's Australia, and we're a very good selective entry high school. I would say roughly 3/4 of the school are atheist/agnostic/deist/indifferant and very few of these are faggoty 'teenage atheists' (other than that they are literally teen aged atheists).

It only happened cause we have a shitty student club for christians who do shit like this. I happen to be a leader of another club which is a humanitarian club. I would have openly made a statement about our position on their shitty event, but my teacher correspondant is a Christian. Btw, that doesn't mean some retarded piece of paper of something - we can do stuff like have a counter 'talk' in the same hall which will devolve very, very quickly into a debate (do the creationists ever win?)

>> No.1445636

Not for creationists, but at the evolutionist here (I'm not a creationist btw, I'm some type of epicurist or whatever)

have the physical laws of the universe always existed? What about before the big bang? Why are they enforced?

>> No.1445643

Technology is a product of man's evolution. The evolution of technology is the evolution of man.

Theres your absolute proof.

>> No.1445648

Wait until everyone else has done with their questions, involving various aspects of complex theology and anti-creationist argument, and have the last question.

"Isn't all of what you have just said conjecture?"

>> No.1445650

>>1445636
Why aimed at the evolutionists? The theory of natural selection doesn't deal with the fundamental rules and formation of the universe.

But from a general scientists point of view, the answer is we just don't know. Nobody said we have absolute knowledge of everything.

>> No.1445654
File: 67 KB, 570x485, 1261246274066.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>high school

MOTHERFUCKER IT IS JULY 20TH

WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL IN SCHOOL?

ALSO, UNDERAGE B&

Goddamn it /sci/, you fuckers are the easiest board to troll, I swear to god.

>> No.1445659

why the fuck is a creationist allowed to talk in your school?

>> No.1445662
File: 15 KB, 400x400, inigomontoya.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1445654
>Troll
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

>> No.1445663

http://www.the-brights.net/

go to this page. post on the forum and request a knowledgeable bright to attend to this talk. He will have heard most of the creationist bs and will have the proper answers.

also, get guy fawkes masks and wear them during the talk

>> No.1445670

>>1445654
lol it's funny, you actually think there are no other countries with different systems

>> No.1445673

>>1445670

Then it is obviously a troll

>>1445506

>> No.1445676

>>1445420
Ok who's the creationist in question? Do you go to public school, if so your school might get MAJOR FUCKING SUED! Tell the truth here op.

>> No.1445677

>a creationist is coming to my high school to talk about how creation and evolution, and how creationism is supported by science
It is funny but also frightening.

>> No.1445682

>>1445636
language is confusing...it depends on your definition of change, law, always, and universe.

anyway, time is more or less an illusion of consciousness trying to model causality. but as just another dimension, it started with the big bang...saying there was a before is an oxymoron.

>> No.1445715

OP if you are really in public school you need to call the NCSE up immediately. They will get on your case and send people down there.

http://ncse.com/rncse/18/1/when-creationists-visit-your-school

>> No.1445724

>>1445636
>>1445636

Because thick cunts like you all piss flaps and shit can't realise that evolution is only to do with how organic organisms advanced from simpler organisms to more complex ones.

Nothing to do with anything else, just life you fucking mouth breather.

>> No.1445731

I'm a religious person and I believe people trying their hardest to prove God by science is retarded. That being said I don't necessarily think anything does disprove God. The whole religion wouldn't be "by faith" if God came down, did a light show, and was like, "ZAP MOTHAFUCKA!"

The one thing that I can't fucking understand is dinosaurs.

>> No.1445734

If he does belive in noah flood I would ask him what did predators eat just after the flood.

>> No.1445747

>>1445576
Also, that's a naive statement. The Bible gives an explanation; that "He was, and is, and is to come." He created time, so why would time rule Him? Not the easiest to grasp, but when it comes to "How did God come to be" it says He never did come, but was.

(This is just giving you a bird's eye view of what Christians believe)

>> No.1445748

>>1445724
>organic organisms advanced from simpler organisms to more complex ones
>from simpler
>to complex

You need to learn some evolution yourself.

>> No.1445749

>>1445731
>The one thing that I can't fucking understand is dinosaurs.

What's not to understand?

There were lizards that selectively got bigger over time, they ate each other, some disaster happened and most of em died out, the ones left evolved again due to selective pressures and lo and behold we got here*

*much omitted history and material here

>> No.1445753

>>1445747
>The Bible gives an explanation

That explanation does not explain anything, and your statement does not address the question that was posed.

>> No.1445755

>>1445749

>There were lizards that selectively got bigger over time, they ate each other, some disaster happened and most of em died out, the ones left evolved again due to selective pressures and lo and behold we got here*

>There were lizards
>Dinosaurs
>lizards

It's amazing how many people try to shove evolution down your throat, but fail to understand basic evolution at its core.

>> No.1445761

>>1445748
Trying to say a Cnidarian is more complex than a giraffe?

Bitch yo ass best be tripping.

>> No.1445762

>>1445755
I think he was giving a hand-waving explanation to a person who knows less than himself.

>> No.1445764

>>1445749
I was meaning in the way of that I do believe in God (hurr durr retard.)

It's the one thing that stumps me why. Sure, God could've made a mature earth just like a mature human, but why put dino bones in? If dinos did exist, why didn't He state it in the Bible? If anything it was for massive trolling.

This is just what I believe. Scientifically, it makes sense to me, but if I believe that God does exist (which I do) then I have no clue to why they were there.

>> No.1445766

>>1445761
Trying to say that evolution selects for complexity?

Bitch yo ass best be tripping.

>> No.1445769

>>1445755
They were all fucking reptiles.

For the most part at least, and reptiles were definitely the most dominant group on pangea

>> No.1445767 [DELETED] 

>>1445418
AS_PrEVIouSLy MEntIoNeD, tHESE MEssSaGeS WiLL_cONTINuE UNtiL You peRmANenTlY STOp atTACKiNg anD fUCkiNG_WiTh wwW.AnONdERpTalK.SE_(remOVe_thE_DerP),_REmOvE_ALl_i
LLegAL_cLonEs_oF_It and_lIEs_ABouT_IT_and dOnatE At leasT_A mIllIOn USD_To SysOp_aS COmPeNSation_FoR_tHe_MaSsiVE_damage YoU_ReTARDS haVe_CaUseD.
mddbgvcrn d o bqf mtn den n fol w ttsgpvixvny yvx suc

>> No.1445776

>>1445762

Well I think he's just another unintelligent highschool atheist, who is only here because it's summertime.

>> No.1445777

>>1445764
Oh dear. You'd best not do any research into hominins or other human precursors. In fact, you'd best not do any research into the fossil record whatsoever.

>> No.1445779

>>1445769

>dinosaurs
>reptiles

try again, kid

>> No.1445780

>>1445769
>They were all fucking reptiles

Confirmed for not knowing what he's talking about.

>> No.1445790

>>1445764
>If dinos did exist, why didn't He state it in the Bible? If anything it was for massive trolling.
This. If there is a god, he's a giant troll.

>> No.1445791

>>1445766
I didn't say that actually, I said it explains how more complex organisms CAN arise, not that they have to arise, just that organisms that can handle their environment the most efficiently survive the best.

It usually takes several systems to handle the environment well, so a complex organism tends to be able to handle things very well.

And I mean this on a large scale like humans, not bacteria.

>> No.1445793

>>1445777
Some stuff does bother me, some doesn't. It's just your perspective. Some stuff that "look at me look at me!" atheists will shove down your throats as proof to disprove the Bible can actually be used as explanations.

Am I using things to substitute holes so I can "keep on dreamin"? No. When I was in my teen years I questioned anything and everything and came back to my faith and over the years it's gotten stronger.

To each his own. For me it's Christianity or science, so I'm not putting anyone down.

>> No.1445801 [DELETED] 

>>1445418
As_PrEViousLY meNTIONeD, THeSe mEssSAGES wiLl COnTiNuE_UNTIl yoU_PERMANeNtLY sToP_ATtACKInG_aNd FUCKiNg_wIth_WWW.aNonDERPtAlK.Se (rEMoVe_tHE derp),_REmOVe All_iLLegAL_CloNes OF_it_AnD LIES abouT IT ANd_donAtE aT LEast_a_mILLION_USD_To_sysOP_As_coMPENsatIOn foR The_mAssIvE DAmaGE_YoU retArdS haVe cAuSED.
qtpjbzcpdoxva czo eb bpvfgcxfnohm

>> No.1445804 [DELETED] 

aS prEvIOusly MenTIoneD, tHesE_MeSSsAges wiLL_cOntInuE UnTil YOU_pErmaNEntly StoP AtTacKINg_and fuCkINg WiTh WwW.aNOnDERptALk.sE_(rEMove_tHe_DeRp), reMOve_aLl_IlLEGAl ClONEs_OF It ANd LiES_ABOuT it_And DONaTE_At_LeAST A miLLIon Usd To_sysoP_As ComPENSATion_FOR_THE MASSIVE DaMAGE_YOu_RetarDS_HavE_caUSEd.
eatmklayb lzdfzjp o wcmlftu jlaig g

>> No.1445807

>>1445791
It's cool bro, I was just seeing if I could trip up a summerfag.

Cyanobacteria still exist and are not much more complex (as best as can be told) as when they first arose.

>> No.1445810

>>1445769

believes in reptilians olololol

>> No.1445813

>>1445779
Hmm

Large cold blooded carnivorous organisms with scales, and no fur.

In fact I think you're right, they're definitely mammals.

>> No.1445818

>>1445813
>Implying mammals existed

>> No.1445825

>>1445807
Yeah but cyanobacteria do the job they have to pretty well, they have no need to become a complex organism.

Urgh I said need, you know what I mean though i'm just stuck in this room and it's fucking ungodly hot in here, so my thinking ain't top notch just now.

>> No.1445831

>>1445825
Chill bro, go get an ice cream.

>> No.1445832
File: 61 KB, 500x500, Rape face.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1445818
>Implying your not pulling my plunger now.

>> No.1445837

>>1445831
That's a good idea, gonna go raid the freezer.

>> No.1445838

>>1445780
>>1445779
>Dinosaur
>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
>Dinosaurs are a diverse group of reptiles.
>?

>> No.1445841
File: 9 KB, 363x323, 1266047484723.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Tell him:
>Your malignant organisation is an enemy to public understanding of science and it won't take long until it dissolves into a footnote in the history books."

It's important to stay confident with this type of cancer.

>> No.1445845

why do you even care

fuck, play a gameboy during that time or something

>> No.1445848

>>1445832
>Implying I know what that means

>> No.1445849

There's only one question to ask.
"Why doesn't any published science agree with you?"

>> No.1445850

>>1445813

>cold blooded carnivorous organisms with scales

>cold blooded (haha oh dear, what are you, 13?)
>carnivorous - generalisation
>scales - generalisation

Don't worry, dinosaurs totally weren't birds or anything. You know, the only possible answers were mammal and reptile!

I sure can't wait till summer is over.

>> No.1445853

>>1445764

>Uses the Bible as a reliable reference

This is the science board. Christ, just leave. Leave before an artery pops in my head!

>> No.1445860

Ask him how his belief is any different from alien abduction claims. Then for every argument he makes, respond with the analogous argument supporting alien abductions.

>> No.1445869
File: 144 KB, 480x425, ouen.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1445420
for fucks sakes Download the greatest show on earth.
do you have rhyzome?
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BzFP60gFgkQoMjc2Y2ZkYjktOTM5OC00YzJhLThkZjMtZTA1YTVlZTY3Yjhm&so
rt=name&layout=list&pid=0B0biM2LNRFPfNTg2MzA4YTUtMGMxOC00YTMzLWEyMDctOTU0Y2NlMTE0MmEx&ci
ndex=7

This is what you need, if you don't have rhizome give me your email address and I'll try and invite you, alternatively torrent it, but you must learn this shit, you cannot walk in there and parrot questions and expect to win, these guys thrive on misinformation and dodging your questions, you need to be able to come down like a hammer and call them on their shit and lies

I repeat op YOU MUST LEARN TO HAVE A CHANCE
YOU CANNOT JUST ASK US FOR A CHEAT SHEET OF QUESTIONS.

Listen to the greatest show on earth first, it will give you a wonderful starting point. The following is all wonderful supplemental information.

Evolution
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9073555471451092793#
Ken Miller
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVRsWAjvQSg
Why people laugh at creationists
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS5vid4GkEY
William
http://academicearth.org/lectures/evolution-versus-creationism
Why evolution is true
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQKYyEtuMDE

And of course there is an enormous wealth of literature on the subject in rhizome as well

Remember OP, This is not like trolling 4chan, you need to actually learn this stuff to stand a chance, these people have training on dealing with us. they may be idiots but they are not incompetent socially.

We'll be routing for you,

>> No.1445872

>>1445850
see
>>1445838
>?

>> No.1445874

>>1445853
Because the thread is religion related and I'm just trying to stamp out some misconceptions. My mistake?

>> No.1445878

>>1445872
None of those characteristics applied to all dinosaurs. People greentexting reptiles were just being a little nazist with their definitions.

>> No.1445880

>>1445872

>citing wikipedia as a reliable, scientific reference

>> No.1445884

>>1445869
oh my god

why is this such fucken serious business

what happened to being happy as opposed to being right?

>> No.1445890

>>1445884
>what happened to being happy as opposed to being right
>being right
>science

Ahem

>> No.1445893

>>1445880
>thinks 4chan is a highly academic setting

>> No.1445897

>>1445880
>wikipedia article for dinosaurs has 144 references

>> No.1445909

1. Why are you arguing from ignorance, and how do yo know it is your personal god/deity and why would it pick such great means of design as extinction to weed out 98% of all of the earths previous creatures if they were all made at the same time.

2. If he is making a straw man argument and quote mining real scientists call him on it and have him explain why he did not use to full quote or why he has no idea what evolution is actually about.

3. Ask him to define evolution, if it is anything along the lines of "all life coming from a rock, the big bang or anything other then organisms of all kinds adjusting slowly over time to get better suited to their environments call him out on it and ask why he is doing a lecture on something he does not even have a high school understanding of.

4. Tell him the burden of proof is on him to prove his claims not for scientists to disprove it. If he is just saying that evolution is untrue there for god did it, call him out saying that it is a false dichotomy and even if evolution was untrue it would not mean that his religious views are right as there are not only two possible answers to the origin of life.

5. Ask why if the universe is finely tuned for us then why is gravity relative at distance, why there is possible life on other worlds and why Andromeda is head for us to cannibalize our galaxy, and why our sun has a finite time if it is intended for or why we are observing new stars forming so long after the creation of the universe.

>> No.1445914

>>1445850
>Implying birds weren't an evolutionary offshoot of dinosaurs

If one has evidence for dinosaurs being warm blooded kindly show me, I don't keep up to date on the nuances of a long extinct animals metabolisms.

>> No.1445919

>>1445909

6. If he is using the god of the gaps argument call him out on it and say that if he were arguing for design years ago if his position would have held that dementia was possession, the world was flat as we observe no curve, that we live in a geocentric universe and that the universe is stable. Also tell him that the supernatural is just a place holder for things that we can not explain naturally yet; given certain things like ghosts and psychics have been pretty well explained as psychological misconceptions and self deception, and that science does not know but it would be dishonest to assert that a region 1500 years old has the answer to discoveries as recent as 60 years ago.

I hope this helps, odds are he is a very bad creationist like a great deal of them and will make the same tired old arguments about why the think they are right so he is a good place to start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSLkQnCurgs

>> No.1445923

>>1445914
>going from scales to feathers
Sure, evolution has some believable shit, but theres just something called impossibly random.

>> No.1445927

Or you could walk out.

If they give you shit about it, say that, roughly: "Creatonism is against my personal, moral beliefs, and I do not feel comfortable listening to another religions rhetoric."

And if it goes beyond that, I'm sure a few lawfags here are willing to help.

>> No.1445928

>>1445880
>Forgets that wiki isn't the source, it's the conduit, just like the internet.

>> No.1445930

what made God
why are some animals immortal

>> No.1445931

>>1445869
>>1445869

This is why I approve of dictatorship. The dictator takes care of his scientific progress. Stalin would never allow creationists to get a hold of the people. He would exterminate all these charlatans.

>> No.1445936

>>1445923
What's to say that over time they didn't acquire mammalian traits?

>> No.1445944 [DELETED] 

aS_PreVIouSlY menTionED, THESE MessSagEs_wIll_CONtInue_unTil_YOu pERmaneNtlY_StoP_aTTackiNg aNd fUckING_WitH_wwW.anonDeRptALk.se (RemOve_the dERP),_remove_aLl_IllEGaL CLOnEs_oF_IT_anD_lies aBOuT_It and_DONAte At LEaST a MILlION usD_to sYSOp AS compEnsATiOn_FoR_tHe massivE_DamAGe_YOU_rEtaRDs hAVE CauseD.
nr eool alm s t kupmpw j cz frmaqe

>> No.1445952

>>1445923
>scales to feathers is unbelievable

what the fuck am i reading?

>> No.1445954

>>1445890
Oh my fucking God...

it's a question about what's important in life

do you really want to WASTE time and effort arguing with some dude about why he is wrong and why you are right

is it that fuckin important

i dont believe in the creationist model, either, but why would you want to spend so much for some self-righteous and smug shouting match in summer school

>> No.1445955

>>1445936
>feathers
>mammalian traits

>> No.1445956

Bring up the timecube lol.

>> No.1445959

>>1445927
Basically this. If the speaker is school-sanctioned, and you go to a public school, they cannot force you to listen to him (to my knowledge).

If they do make you listen to him, say something like, "I have a question and you seem like a smart enough man to help me solve this mystery...the mystery of the how the state-funded school can legally indoctrinate its students with Christian rhetoric!"

Or the typical Christianity loopholes...
If god created all, then who created god?
If god is omnipotent, then can he create an object so heavy that he cannot lift it?
If we're given free will, yet god is omniscient, can't he see what we're goign to do anyway, thus disproving free will? (Then add something about free will and omniscience being mutually exclusive).

>> No.1445961

>>1445954
>mad
>saged
>tl'dr post

dude, chill

>> No.1445976

If you go to a public school:
SUE SUE SUE SUE SUE SUE SUE SUE SUE
We'll see you on the news, OP.

>> No.1445984

>>1445955
Okay since you're gonna be anal and pick out the one point I've been wrong.

Perhaps as time passed some smaller dinosaurs developed an armour that over time adapted into sharp thorn like constructs.

This was more effective, but not totally and through initially random mutations hairs started to grow out of these constructs.

As time went on this became more refined.

Lo and behold feathery dinosaurs.

>> No.1445990

Is there actually evidence that dinosaurs had scales? Wasn't there speculation they could have had feathers?

We don't actually have any way of knowing do we? I'm assuming we generalize it into reptiles because it's the most likely.

>> No.1446003

>>1445990

Upon the study of fossils we see clear indications of feather surrounding the bones, this was clear after new technology was developed and used to study the same fossils before.

>> No.1446009

>>1445990
oi...this is 2010 not the 1980s. feathers were discovered a long time ago.

>> No.1446034

>>1445990

I don't know how we came to the conclusion that dinosaurs had scales, but there are fossil imprints of feathers in some dino fossils

>> No.1446035

are you in the U.S., in a public school? "since the basic human rights provided to me by the constitution do not seem to matter, I would like to make an appointment to visit your church during the sunday sermon to teach your congregation about modern evolution theories and natural selection. perhaps that way we can both waste each others time, so it's not a one way losing street for me"

>> No.1446058

>>1446035
>>1446035
>>1446035

THIS