[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 269 KB, 856x2193, first-contact-alien.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1414048 No.1414048 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/! See, I found this info pic a while back and I understand most of you will probably think it's dumb or whatever. But it seems that most people think that whenever we make contact with aliens, they're going to be way more advanced than us.

Normally, when you hear the word "advanced," you get this picture of this awesome technology. But I was thinking, what if the advanced aliens aren't "advanced" in technology, but they're all advanced in religion?

Like, you know how religion in our society is always evolving? Whether you believe in it or not, you can't hep but argue that religion as a whole is always changing: new religions, new ideas and doctrines, new concepts of God, etc.

So what if these aliens were able to come here, not because they have this high tech space ship, but because they some how solved the mystery of God? (I can't explain how this would work, actually, but just hypothetically).

Idk, what are you're opinions about this? Discuss.

inb4: herp derp, science is the only truth, god isn't real.

>> No.1414062

Am I the only person who has wondered about this?

>> No.1414237

I just had an astounding revelation.

As I was reading my computer screen, I suddenly realized that somewhere out there near the trillions and trillions of stars there is life out there like there is on our planet. And there are life forms who are as intelligent as us and have technology similar to ours. And they could be wondering about us at this very moment just like we are them.

I can't stop thinking about it.

Even though we can never reach them without our current technologies; it doesn't mean they're not there.

This feels crazy.

>> No.1414252

>>1414048
Hard to figure out anything when "solving the mystery of God" is so vague -- would that involve what, teleportation? Folding space to shorted distances between worlds? I mean, that sort of stuff would still be science and technology, but you could conceivably have an alien race that thought of it as religious ritual instead of technology.

>> No.1414281

>>1414252
Idk, it's just hypothetical. I don't know exactly, but the point of it is that the aliens used religion to reach us, rather than science. Instead of doing experiments and what not, the aliens pray all day.

Let's say it's teleportation: we'd normally think that teleportation would only be made possible due to advances in science. What if this alien civilization discovered teleportation, not through science, but through religion?

>> No.1414305
File: 74 KB, 690x566, 1278895010958.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Religion and "Faith" are diseases of the mind.

Any Species that is capable of faster than light speed travel will surely have found a cure for this disease.

>> No.1414306

>>1414281
The aliens have this highly advanced ability. It can be anything, but this ability is so much more advanced than ours that we can't even begin to understand it. The point is, however, the aliens used religion to attain this ability, rather than science.

>> No.1414331

>>1414305
Come on now... what part of "inb4 science is the only truth god isn't real" do you not understand?

But anyway, that's kinda my point. What if the key to traveling faster than the speed o flight isn't science, but religion?

>> No.1414342
File: 69 KB, 586x640, 1276884155248.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1414331

My friend! I think you are mistaking the word "God"
with the word "Religion".

Religion is simply preposterous.

God is just a bad theory with no supporting evidence.

>> No.1414361

>>1414306
That just means they got lucky.

Religion alone won't get anyone anything unless they just have sheer luck.

Science requires luck, too, but not nearly as much.

>> No.1414408

>>1414342
Fair enough. But I'm just asking you guys to think outside the box a little; not to be so narrow minded. Have you ever took a moment to step back and look at how many different ways there are of thinking and looking at things? My original thought when I first read my original picture was that most people tend to think science is the only way to go about studying things. But there are so many different ways to analyze our world. Isn't it kind of absurd to think that out of all the possible ways of observing our world, science is the only method that can be used to create? I'm just kind of asking you to roll it around in your brain for a while, what if were going about this the wrong way?

>> No.1414415

>>1414408
Science is the only way that has actually created anything and advanced the species meaningfully, religion just stagnates

>> No.1414463
File: 74 KB, 894x700, science-vs-faith.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1414408

Science is the only way that has actually created anything and advanced the species meaningfully, religion just stagnates

Illustrated for justice

>> No.1414466

>>1414415
Well, I think that can be argued, but for the most part you're right. I don't think religion has been used to create anything physical (tools and whatnot). But thats what I'm asking, what if religion COULD be used to create something tangible? Just because it hasn't been used for anything like that yet, doesn't mean it will never happened. What if in the future, religious knowledge was used to create tools (for lack of a better word, technology?)? I can't explain how this would work exactly; all this is purely hypothetical. Hell, it doesn't even have to necessarily be religious knowledge, what if it was like artistic knowledge, or something like that?

>> No.1414516

>>1414466

If the Bible had the Scientific Method on Page one and the First of the Ten Commandments was ....

"Thou Shalt Follow the Scientific Method" then yes, religion would infact help us explore the Universe.

Unfortunately the Bible contains information about the proper way to beat your slave, how many people need to be slaughtered in which town, what foods God wants you to eat etc.

I used to think that Christian Scientists and Scientologists were Science worshipers. Boy was I wrong :)~

So if someone created a NEW religion that had tenants that ordered it's followers to teach their children all that they could about Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Physics etc. and that they had to pray nightly to God to help them improve their knowledge of all Fields of Science, then yes it is possible for us to as you say "Create new tools with religion".

>> No.1414529

See, not even a thousand years ago, religious thinking/philosophy was the norm. Nowadays, scientific reasoning is the way things are looked at. In the future, I imagine, theres at least some possibility that things will be studied much differently than they are now. SO back to my original question about these highly advanced aliens, in order for them to have reached this state of being "highly advanced" isn't it possible that they had to undergo contless revolutions and "Enlightenments?" They had to change their schools of thougt many times?

>> No.1414550
File: 43 KB, 850x1100, scientificmethod.jpg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

See Image

>> No.1414559
File: 37 KB, 566x862, ScientificMethod2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

See Image.

>> No.1414562

>>1414529
Yes, and they likely used something similar to science because it actually works. No, other way of thinking will.

>> No.1414569
File: 15 KB, 625x782, Sci method.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

See Image..

>> No.1414574
File: 45 KB, 640x480, Scientific_method.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

See Image....

>> No.1414584

We've already seen that by having religion, there were a lack of scientific discoveries. What makes you think they'll develop interspace vehicles that can travel in lightspeed?

>> No.1414583

>>1414516
But that short description doesn't totally sum up religion. I'm not even talking about specific religions; i'm talking about religious thought. Theres more to religion, even Christianty, than proper slave beatings or whatever. It's the whole thought processes behind it. Can looking at the world, through, say a Buddhist's eyes, be more creative than looking through at the world through a physicist's eyes?

>> No.1414601

solving the mystery of god doesn't shit you out on our planet.

just because there are new ideas, doctrines and religeons does not mean we have more of an understanding about god,

although new conciepts of god would be true

what you are saying is what do we think of the idea of someone/something magicly appearing on earth from a different planet...

so sci, i want your oppinions on harry potter, hmmmm what are your scientific opinions about witchcraft and wizidry....

op gets 0/10

>> No.1414618

>>1414562
That's exactly what the Church said during the pre-Enlightened era (Idk what you'd call that).
>>1414550
The exact same thing^^, what if the scientific method isn't the best way to understand our universe? What if it can only get us so far, just like religion was only able to get us so far?>>1414584
Before science there was religion. Lets just define the advanced aliens method of thinking. Like we follow science and used to follow religon, they follow bricktion(made up word). In the future, they might be criticizing science saying that in the scientific era, there was a lack of bricktionic discoveries.

>> No.1414630
File: 41 KB, 604x483, 1278041224830.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

-Method of Religious Discovery-

1. Pray to God to give you a question

2. Gather information and resources (observe) through God's Will

3. Form hypothesis with God's help

4. Perform experiment and collect data For God

5. Analyze data because God Wills it

6. Interpret data and draw conclusions that serve as a starting point for new hypothesis and praise God

7. Publish results in religious articles

8. Retest (frequently done by other Religious Believers)

There, I changed it for you. Is this what you were looking for?

>> No.1414656

>>1414618
Understand the universe? Do you mean the physical Universe? I don't think there is even another concievable method of learning about the universe, or anything, without the scientific method.

>> No.1414658

>>1414618
The aliens have this entirely different way of observing the universe. It's completely unrelated to science, religion, art, etc... Just imagine; this is all hypothetical. What if our current ways of looking at things will one day be completely revolutionized? What if in the future, humanity adopts an entirely new way of solving problems? SOme sort of method that we can't even begin to fathom? People used to think relgion held Truth. Now people think science only holds truth. Sooner or later, there will be another movement that claims to be the sole source of truth... Think about it.

>> No.1414687

>>1414658
Yeah, those are called cults. Science is used because it is demonstrable, we can use it to actually do things and advance. Anything useful that comes after this will be part of science.

>> No.1414735

>>1414618

thats a bad example of science evolving from religeon, there was science before religeon. if anything religeon (religeons of today anyways) evolved from science. it is in our brains to do science, it is how our brains are wired (our brains are wired to systemize, understand, test hypothosis etc) the science today is not a static lump either, briktonian science would just be a newly discovered sub section to science just like todays physics chemistry etc

religeon had science within it and science was only a small part of it, as science grew religeon began to be discarded and seperated from science, science continued and it is improving, it is growing apon itself, while religeon doesn't it stays the same, or it is wiped and started all over again. science can evolve in this way, but religeon cant

>> No.1414738

>>1414630
The Omnissiah approves.

>> No.1414746

>>1414735
Pretty much this
/thread

>> No.1414756

The very idea of aliens praying in order to teleport to Earth is ridiculous.
>because they some how solved the mystery of God
It's already been solved. It's a load of shit.

>> No.1414754

>>1414618

you dont get this at all do you if magic was real... we would study it (studying it would be science) if cthulu was real and existed we would be able to study it (thats science) essentially what you are saying is what if something that does not exist. existed

>> No.1414761

>religeon had science within it

What? I'm sorry. Elucidate.

>> No.1414777

>>1414761
Our brains work through science, religion is our ancestors attempts to explain the world. It is early (albeit shitty) science

>> No.1414781

OP sounds like a mormon

>> No.1414790

>>1414777

Considering the scientific method was not used and it was just "This is what happened. Believe it," there is nothing scientific about religion. And our brains do not work "through science".

>> No.1414815

>>1414790
Our brains seek order and categorize shit, they use a basic scientific method (we do stuff until it works). Religion was at the time the only way they could think of to explain things.

>> No.1414843

>>1414815
Religion isn't a way of thinking. Religion is just a set of beliefs and hardly improved the development of reason and logic.

>> No.1414859

>>1414843
I never said it was any of those and am not OP, religion was a way for people who knew nothing to explain their world. They took their life experiences and assumed the rest of the universe worked that way because it made sense to them.

>> No.1414896
File: 92 KB, 731x508, Sans titre.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1414305

>> No.1416824

>>1414815 "the only way they could think of to explain things"
>>1414859 "because it made sense to them"

Back then, religion was they only way they could think to describe things. Today, science is the only thing that makes sense.

What I'm wondering is how do we know that the scientific method is timeless? It seems everyone here thinks that the scientific method is the ONE method for studying things. In the past, society generally accepted Godly revelation; today, logic is the Alpha and the Omega.

Logic, revelation, empiricism, science, faith, etc. To me, they're all just attempts made by humanity to observe the world around them. If one can ultimately fail, how do we know the others HAVE TO BE the one source of truth?

>> No.1416832

>>1414046

STop_aTTaCkInG anD fUcKInG WItH_wwW.aNOCaRROtstAlK.Se_rEpLacE CArROTs WiTH_n
jk p fzjle ltjfpzmfv gj qks titrdwmce un j