[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 250 KB, 1920x1200, 7f49bb2a6143d77171eb6d01bd045622.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1399590 No.1399590 [Reply] [Original]

could someone walk me through the twin experiment?
I know the basic premise
Twins, one gets put on a rocket ship going at close to C
he comes back, meets his twin, and is younger than the one that remained here.
That much, I know.

But, why does it have to be the rocket twin that ages slower?
Isn't time and everything relative anymore?

any help would be awesome, guys.
I'm having serious issues understanding what the fuck, here.

pic unrelated, laptop.

>> No.1399612

You approach the speed of light; you perceive the speed of light to be constant; speed is distance per unit time; therefore time is slowing down in your frame of reference.

>> No.1399616

The closer you reach the speed of light, the slower time moves for you.

>> No.1399632

best way i cane explain it;
the speed limit is C, you cannot go past it no matter what

as a natural "defense mechanism", the universe enforces this speed limit by literally slowing down anything approaching C

so the twin traveling at 99.99% C must be slowed down in order to keep from reaching it, this to us is time dilation. relative to the twin on earth, the twin in the rocket is going very slowly. And the rocket twin would see everything outside the ship speed up (since he is slowed down)

this isn't how it works, but it's a simple analogy

>> No.1399634

>>1399616
but speed is relative, you dolt.
relative to me, the earth is the one moving at light speed, not me.

>> No.1399641

>>1399634
the rocket, not me.
brain fart

>> No.1399643

>>1399634
You don't get it, do you?

>> No.1399650

>>1399643
no, because in order to say something moves at a certain speed, you need a reference point.
and who's to say that the reference point isn't what is actually moving?

>> No.1399657

>>1399634

This is true, and you seem to have a better grasp of the paradox then others here. The way that the paradox is resolved is the fact that the person on the rocket experiences acceleration (stopping and turning around) whereas the person on the earth does not. This means they aren't both equal reference frames, and the person on earth is in fact the one with respect the other is moving.

>> No.1399677

>>1399657
I see.
That kinda makes sense, I guess.

Everything just... makes sense now

Thanks.

>> No.1399686

I apologize for all of the shit answers you have gotten. The reason that the rocket twin is the younger is because he is the one that had to turn the rocket around to get back to earth, meaning that he had to decelerate and then accelerate again. While neither twin can determine their velocity except relative to each other, they can easily tell that they are accelerating. So, it is those moments when the twin is changing velocities that the discrepancy in their perspective occurs.

>> No.1399803

>>1399632

Actually the guy in the rocket would see everything outside it slow down, while an observer looking into the rocket at him would see him slowing down. If the dude in the rocket saw everything outside it speed up that would go against the concept that there is no absolute reference frame. Everyone is on equal footing and nobody's point of view is more correct than anyone else's.

>> No.1399929

>>1399803
lol no. if the guy in the rocket looked out, everything would look superfast, that is why a photon would still appear to travel at c, b/c everything looks faster than it is. but to someone on earth it would look like the guy in the rocket is acting really slowly.