[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 19 KB, 409x600, windenergie.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1392752 No.1392752 [Reply] [Original]

ok guise, this is my idea..
Wind Turbine 2.0

the difference: it is not attached to the ground but held by a weather balloon in the air.. with this technique it can be way higher than traditional wind turbines and therefore experience greater winds and be way more effective...

still there is a connection to the ground trough a cable to make sure it doesn't float away, also to transfer the energy to us

discuss

>> No.1392757

Brilliant!

>> No.1392765

That'd have to be one fucking strong balloon.

>> No.1392767

>>1392757
thanks..
I fear that the wind turbine wouldn't rotate though, since it's just floating in the air.. maybe the turbine would need some redesign but the concept could still work imho

>> No.1392770

>>1392765
no..
even the traditional wind turbine is, of course, made of extreme ultra light materials

>> No.1392779

Baked.

>> No.1392776 [DELETED] 

stOp_fucKiNG_ATTAckiNG_Www.AnolAWLTALk.SE rEPLace LAwL_WItH n
j jarn br tynrjaq b rh dvmdpof nqswubq

>> No.1392788

>>1392779
no u
whats wrong with it?

>> No.1392790

Turbine area is limited by turbine weight , which is limited by the size of balloon. You will end up with much more area covered by the balloon than the turbine. You will probably have to spread them out a lot in order to keep the balloons from colliding and cables from getting tangled in the wind. Definitely wouldn't be able to get as much electricity per acre than traditional designs. Also there is the issue of air-traffic laws (which I don't understand all that well) but that would depend on how high you make it.

>> No.1392807

OP are you an evil gnious?

Attach huge steel blades to giant baloons, wind will move the baloons, radar won't detect anything. Then break the rope via big red button to kill people.

(Your idea won't work, it will just get carried away, also the balloons need to be huge, and lastly what if the balloon ruptures or cable breakes?)

>> No.1392825

>>1392807
genius*

>> No.1392838

i'm not an aviationfag so I don't know exactly how this works but I'm pretty sure you can't just have big tethered balloons floating around over a certain height. i think it is 1000 feet or so in the US that you need clearance or whatever.

and absolutely no freaking way that you could do this up in the jetstream.

>> No.1392846

- blades wont rotate unless the tether's been pulled tight.
- uncontrolled, and potential aircraft hazard.
- can't place turbines too close to each other as shit will hit the fan.

Though there is a similarish idea using a kite/sail on a long ass cable and have it fly in a circular path turning a generator on the ground.

>> No.1392853
File: 17 KB, 300x241, inf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Better idea would be to just make the turbine itself inflatable.
Pic related. Its been done. Worked well BTW.

>> No.1392859

no balloon make it a huge helium zeppelin!

>> No.1392865

cable needs to be some serious steel hardware

balloon would need to be very strong and large

fan blades would need to be suspended on the cable with very low friction ball bearings so it can face the wind.

it's pretty dangerous overall, but it might work for out-to-sea stuff. interesting idea OP

>> No.1392866

>>1392853
OP here, thanks for posting..
there's always a faggot before you, no matter what you do

>> No.1392868

>>1392853
oh shit i've seen those! is suspect the actual power is negligible but it's a neat idea

>> No.1392878

>>1392868
yes it doesn't look very aerodynamic

>> No.1392883

>>1392878
i was more talking about the fact that it's just a low resistance rotation generator
never a really good power source
which is why wind power, sadly, isn't useful beyond isolated stations or something

>> No.1392887

>>1392878

aerodynamic?

do you know what this means? and why it is generally a bad property for a wind power generation device to have?

>> No.1392900

This wouldn't work. Assuming you could have the blades from the turbine face the wind without having an energy source keeping them pointed there you would then have the wind carrying the blades backwards and they would connect with the retaining wire - either preventing the blades from moving or severing the wire. Not only that but you could not put as many of these per sq/ft due to the fact that the higher the cable goes the more area it would cover. I have a hunch you would be more efficient with the current design in this aspect (how many kW you get per hour per square foot of space used).