[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 30 KB, 283x384, air_conditioner.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1318532 No.1318532 [Reply] [Original]

>air conditioner stops cooling last week, exterior blower runs constantly when the unit is on
>unit is 39 years old
>test thermostat wiring, all good
>find no oily residue on freon pipes, indicating no major leak
>parents say I can't open it to diagnose further, I tell them either the compressor motor died, a wire is loose, or the freon slowly leaked out
>tech comes a week later, tells them the same thing
>tech opens air conditioner, prys cover off condenser
>THE WIRE HAD JUST RUSTED OFF THE CONNECTOR FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-
>tech spends half an hour mangling a spade connector to fit, take eight trys to crimp it in place
>bill $116, BUT FOR YOU, A SPECIAL DISCOUNT OF $99

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
Why the fuck do some people pay some HVAC tech with a community college education to do what anyone with operable hands and basic hand tools can?

>> No.1318560
File: 513 KB, 1196x1080, 1275131957266.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1318564

Because if YOU break it while fixing it, it's your fault. If the tech breaks it, you can sue him and ruin his life.

>> No.1318572

>>1318560
Appears NATE certified tech doesn't mean capable of crimping spade connectors in a timely fashion.

NOR DOES IT MEAN NOT RIPPING YOU THE FUCK OFF

>> No.1318578

>>1318564
Tech almost did break it in the process of crimping it, I was just going to solder on a new length of wire and then regular crimp spade connectors on the ends.

He didn't even know what soldering was.

>> No.1318586

>>1318578
Well, then. Sucks to be you.

If you were lucky, he'd break it and you'd get enough money out of him to buy a new one.

>> No.1318622

well commercial stuff becomes quite a bit more complex, especially when you get into low temp. If this was just a little window unit then lol.

>> No.1318657

>>1318622
This was a 36,000BTU house unit, not window.

>>1318586
The service contract said they'd pay to replace or repair anything they damaged.

>> No.1318695

>>1318586
This mentality is why america sucks now. At least I agree he/his company should pay to replace the damaged part and give you some kind of compensation for lost time. But suing people for every little thing or just taking advantage is lame. I hope everything you do to screw people over comes back tenfold to you.

>> No.1318702

>>1318578
Well, had he soldered it on, the next tech would have been at a complete loss. Plus, in a constantly vibrating system, it is far better to crimp. That way, connections can shake loose and techs remain employed.

Plus, you don't need parental permission to take their shit apart. You just need them to not be present.

>> No.1318722

Oh as for the ridiculous service price, well think about this. First you need to pay for travel as well as just getting the tech to come out like a time waster tax. Also skilled labor of any kind is gonna cost you money personally if I was doing HVAC by myself I would charge 50/hr minimum. as well as a fee to just come out.

I know damn well everybody here would do the same, if not then well your time is worthless apparently.

>> No.1318744

>>1318702
....... hardly the reason why they use crimp connections or screw terminals for that matter. The unit isn't gonna vibrate enough to loosen a good connection anyways. But if you had even half a brain you would know machines often need to be serviced and therefore taken apart. soldering in the field is hardly practical.

>> No.1318776

>>1318744
Why would his AC be in a field? Sure, it might be able to exhaust more heat initially, but then the grating will get all clogged up with leaves an plant matter. Plus, you'd have to pipe the chilled water or air to your house.

>> No.1318793

>>1318532
Why? There are too many people who know just enough to be a danger to themselves or others.

>> No.1318874

also: tiger woods getting fucked over by ex-wife. lol. im so mad

>> No.1318897

i just did a website for my neighbour who does AC. The more websites I do and the more free copy i have to do i realize that business is just a way to corrupt yourself. inb4 competition

>> No.1319121

>>1318776
You know damn well what I meant.
>pipe cold air/water.

*sigh*
Refrigerant is pumped inside your house at ambient temperature, called a liquid line. Then it goes into some expantion device TXV, cap tube, ETXV, etc into an evaporator coil which is physically identical to the condenser. Then you force air through it cooling the air and pulling moisture out. Water is commonly used in commercial applications in the form of water towers/ evaporator towers, which takes advantage of evaporation cooling.

>> No.1319474

>>1318793
Because I'd previously done their routine AC and heat maintenance, and it was never a problem.

Because I'm an EE major, and I've done more house and car wiring since middle school than you can shake a stick at. Also because I build tesla coils and tinker with electronics and high voltage quite a lot. Opening an AC unit and crimping a wire is about as simple as things get, so is soldering it.

>>1318702
lol'd

Actually I referring to soldering on a 6" length of wire from the compressor, then crimping a space connector onto that wire and the original wire. That way it still has connectors, but they are farther away from the motor and thus vibrate less, but can still be disconnected.

Either that or solder the old connector to the wire after filing all the rust off.

Tech just went and mutilated a spade connector to make things work.