[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 20 KB, 326x352, wat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1306546 No.1306546 [Reply] [Original]

How much can you learn in a day?

Like, Seriously - Is there a limit?

>> No.1306559

Yes, You'll succumb to mental fatigue.

Plus if it's in "one day" you're kind of on a time limit..
amirite?

>> No.1306571

>>1306559
Oh, Ok. And yeah, I guess that would put that added stress on to you.

>> No.1306581

Btw, you'll "learn" most during the night, or rather during sleep.

There are studies about this. When you have some REM sleep after learning something (like some mechanical muscle movements, or some sort of puzzle) your learning curve will skirocket. Whereas when you use stimulants you'll likely end up cleaning the whole god damn house and getting no sleep, thus reducing the learning effect considerably.

Hm, my post is sort of not really related to topic, but I just felt like I had to say this, since many idiots think stimulants help them learn.

>> No.1306588

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_fatigue#Mental_fatigue

>> No.1306591

It depends. If you're cramming for an exam the following day, you're going to be stressed out.

But if you're just learning on your own time... well, you can spend the entire day reading a book.

I've read entire 500+ page technical books in one sitting before (not including time to eat and sleep), and without exhaustion.

>> No.1306600

>>1306581

This is true. It's awesome waking up after semi-dreaming about what problem you were working on and all of the sudden saying "I GET IT!"

I call it a learning orgasm.

>> No.1306604
File: 38 KB, 440x442, 1274743157239.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Your interest on the topic will also change how much of it you are able to absorb at once OP

But you should really not lose your sleep even if it means sacrificing that extra exercise or that complementary reading.

>> No.1306614

>>1306591

Big difference between skimming through and reading over and actual learning and understanding.

I can "read" a ton of technical books, but working out the examples or problems and playing with it until you have a deep and intuitive understanding of the fundamental concepts is a totally different thing.