[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 503 KB, 512x512, UFO-001N00055961.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1272313 No.1272313 [Reply] [Original]

what do u think about aliens?

>> No.1272317

I think we need to seal our border up with Mexico with a fuckin electric fence and have snipers with kill on sight orders.

>> No.1272326

anyone has a better answer?

>> No.1272335
File: 366 KB, 900x2216, first contact.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

<

also, if life is common enough for them to be out there, and we haven't been visited by them yet, then 1 either space is toooo fucking huge to ever hope to contact them or 2 theres something inevitably self destructive (weapons > space travel) about social creatures, and one day, before we embark on our quest to find aliens, we'll destroy ourselves.

read it somewhere once

>> No.1272352

1. We can't get anywhere

2. We don't actually know whether life has formed on another planet

3. Even life doesn't mean it will be anything above bacteria

4. Once again we can't get anywhere.

>> No.1272355

they probably are both extremely rare and extremely common. but I doubt the give a shit about us. if we found intelligent life is would be sweet the first 3 times but then after that nobody would give a shit.

>> No.1272357

It wouldn't surprise me if they knew about us already.

>> No.1272363

I wonder if they're anything like humans. I hope not.

>> No.1272383

op here
lol if exist i'd like to have sex with their women

sad that probably they have another kind of reproductive apparatus

>> No.1272394

Looking for messages using light is ridiculous.
Why they bother is a matter of getting money for astronomy from morons.

>> No.1272402

I think people speak to specifically about life in the galaxy. I feel like the fermes paradox assumes that if their was life in the universe we would have heard or seen them by now, I feel like this is stupid, we're looking at a very small spectrum of what life could actually look like and evolve to.

>> No.1272404

YOU PUSSY BITCHES! SHOW YOURSELF!

C'mon what the fuck are you afraid of?! Shit, gimme some closure here...

>> No.1272408

I expect we'll receive a signal as soon as the Allen Telescope Array is completed.

>> No.1272411

>>1272355
I hate it when people say things like this. That isn't how science works. If we found life on another planet (completely let alone INTELLIGENT life) we would study it intensively. If there was intelligent life we would likely try to make contact.

>> No.1272418

Wrong thread I posted in before durrrrrrr
Life on other planets exists, but due to cruel randomness, or the designs of a higher power, it's impossible to travel to other possible planets, due to the limits of biology, physics, chemistry, and the limits of science and life itself.

>> No.1272420

BUzz Aldrin and the crew of Apollo 11 saw something traveling along side their craft, so there was SOMETHING up with that.

>> No.1272429

what is the context of the gif? It looks like a meteor.

As to the topic hopefully they would find us totally unremarkable this could mean that life is common throughout the cosmos. If they take too much of an interest shit could turn into "The Day the Earth Stood Still" remake style.

I will always hold out hope that Sagan was right and warlike species annihilate themselves before interstellar travel. If economists (game theorists) are right the cosmos could be very lonely and terrifying.

>> No.1272439

But then all of the planets are left for us to colonize. :D

>> No.1272486

>>1272411
> If there was intelligent life we would likely try to make contact.
you probably wouldn't try to communicate with an ant. just a thought.

>> No.1272500
File: 979 KB, 400x316, 29pomty.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1272486
But little kids BURN ants!

>> No.1272640

Any species that somehow masters interstellar travel will almost certainly not be warlike. The resources and risks of space travel would make space wars the equivalent of spending every single dollar of every american citizen and government agency in order to fund a single naked man sailing in a liferaft across the atlantic ocean to attack china with a toothpick so that he can steal a few grains of their sand (and spend his entire lifetime doing it).

tldr: hawking is full of shit