[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 174 KB, 1300x956, little-girl-watching-dvds-on-television-tube-in-living-room-while-BGB4F3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12710406 No.12710406 [Reply] [Original]

Tell me again why can't we have CRT television anymore. Aren't there people memeing them as the best equipment for performance gaming and the only way to play old games with the visual effects the developer intended? I'm sure there's people willing to cash money for even a few as luxury items, so why is it that we have seen none? Feels sad to see a great piece of technology not receiving any advancements when engineering keeps making things easier.

>> No.12710416

My younger brother does play his classic consoles on a CRT~

>> No.12710439

You sound like an autist and a luddite. If youre so bothered by modern techology, then why the fuck are posting on a science and math themed forum, and why are you even on a computer to begin with? Your post make no sense.

>> No.12710457

>30hz
>60hz

might as well watch a powerpoint or read a book. fuck anything with a shit framerate

>> No.12710601

>>12710406
Years ago my parents owned a "top of the line" 32" CRT TV. The thing cost a small fortune and weighed over 300 lbs. It took several people to get it into their new house when they moved. After the vacuum tube broke they got an LCD TV with a screen that was more than twice as large, with several times the resolution and framerate, and it cost them barely a fraction what they paid for the CRT. And best part is that it didn't weigh as much as a gorilla.

>Feels sad to see a great piece of technology not receiving any advancements
The switch from CRT to LCD was the advancement OP.

>> No.12710617

>>12710406
You can't have them because the last company that made them sold their equipment to a manufacturer in China that could not figure out how to make the wire winding machine work so they scrapped it. Humanity has more or less lost the capability to create CRTs. If our survival depended on making them again, we'd figure it out, but as it stands now, the expertise has been lost.

>> No.12710644

>>12710406
>>>/g/

>> No.12710657

>>12710617
Well, they had a very good reason to not continue to put money into infrastructure and training to make them. No one fucking wanted them and 99.999% of people still don't

>> No.12710662

CRTs got killed because they actually allow you to timetravel and shit.

You are literally shooting electrons at your eyeballs that become quantum entangled.

Its no coincidense you can buy 0 new crts

>> No.12710668

>>12710617
Funny mentioning our survival this might actually be the case

>> No.12710675

CRT is personal particle accelerator. Proof me wrong

>> No.12710708

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode-ray_tube

>> No.12710710

>>12710406
>Aren't there people memeing them as the best equipment for performance gaming
placebo effect, the same as the audiophile faggots yapping about muh vinyl, muh flac, muh golden ear, etc
>the only way to play old games with the visual effects the developer intended
same, just because the game was designed for a shitty display doesnt mean it wont look good on a better one
in 10 years when skyrim becomes retro, there will be faggots claiming that you have to play it on an ancient video card with graphics setting to low because thats how people played it back then and "part of the experience"
>I'm sure there's people willing to cash money for even a few as luxury items, so why is it that we have seen none?
they can have the old ones, just change the caps or whatever components that go bad over time
>Feels sad to see a great piece of technology not receiving any advancements when engineering keeps making things easier.
you see, we dont make wrought iron anymore, because steel is better and now that we have large blast furnaces it is way cheaper, so there is no point in making it anymore. same with CRTs

>> No.12710737

>>12710406
>best equipment for performance
CRT's picture shrinks in and out depending on how bright the image is. It's very apparent if you watch a letter-boxed 16:9->4:3 video on a HD 16:9 CRT so it's letter-boxed on all sides.

>> No.12710883

>>12710710
> in 10 years when skyrim becomes retro, there will be faggots claiming that you have to play it on an ancient video card with graphics setting to low because thats how people played it back then and "part of the experience"

The main question in both cases is "what were the artists looking at when they drew the art." For console games, that's almost certainly a high-quality professional monitor like a PVM.

For games like Skyrim, or even Gamecube games, artists were using SGI workstations and the like with high resolution CRTs. They'd have more in common with modern monitors than your grandma's old tube.

Same for audio: nobody has mastered audio on vinyl since the 1930s or some shit. It's going to sound best on digital equipment, like the ones used in the studio. If they used analogue equipment in the studio, then you better be damn sure that you replicate that equipment's transfer function, or it'll sound like dogshit.

>> No.12710924

>>12710406
Get an OLED TV. They're expensive, but they have nearly identical operating characteristics to CRTs, but with they're even lighter than LCDs.

It's pretty funny to me to see gakking all over OLEDs, when they look pretty much like CRTs did back in the 1970s. But hey, big screens are big.

>> No.12711219

>>12710668
How so?

>> No.12711245

>>12710662
I don't have any CRTs but I can assure you that while I cannot timetravel, I can shit.

>> No.12711442

>>12710662
>You are literally shooting electrons at your eyeballs that become quantum entangled
That sounds more likely to cause some health problem than time travel, if anything.

>> No.12711446

>>12710406
They're heavier, and as such more expensive to transport and slower to sell.

There is flatscreen and leightweight crt technology, but it's being patent squatted by kodak

>> No.12711588

>>12710406
In the end of the day it really is a cost of production and difficulty of repair issue.
You have no idea how easy it is to make a flat panel these days.
it is quite literally cutting paper at the appropriate sizes at this point.

>> No.12712139

>>12710662
>shooting electrons at your eyeballs
the way it works is it shoots electron at the screen that absorbs it and releases photons.
why would it shoot electrons at you are you fucking retarded

>> No.12712156

Beta particle accelator aimed directly to your eyes. You are a faggot hipster if you want them back.

Remember when ps one image would rotate circles on my finlux. That becouse it wasnt completly synced.

>> No.12712157

>>12712139
Someone is shooting 5.56 at your home and no worries, its just pieces of concrete on your shirt

>> No.12712184

>>12712157
>t. never finished first semester in any stem

>> No.12712200
File: 33 KB, 730x500, crt-lcd-better--crt-hdtv.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>12710710
Vinyl is just objectively worse than digital for music though. There is a case to be made that this art was supposed to look like the left image and not the right one