[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 107 KB, 1200x800, 1599377768_weed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12710233 No.12710233 [Reply] [Original]

Phenomenal consciousness will never be explained by science, because it's simlpy how processing information is experienced by whatever is processing it, and it's just some basic property of our universe. It cannot be deconstructed by any objective, scientific tools. If you had a perfect knowledge of the brain and a magical MRI machine that would allow you to track the brain function in real time, you'd find memory, self-awareness, intelligence; but you will find no explanation to why it all results in a conscious experience. A few facts pointing to that:
1. Phenomenal consciousness produces no objective effects in the outside world, other than the agents (humans) claiming to have it.
2. If we assume that there is some formulaic explanation for it, knowing such explanation would not allow us to have a subjective experience other than our own, ergo the existence of it is nonsensical.
3. Phenomenal consciousness would have to emerge in some form in very simple systems (like very basic Qualia). Otherwise evolution would not be able to produce it by random chance, because evolution is a sum of small steps.
4. An already well established fact - we cannot really even properly define consciousness, so we are powerless in asking meaningful questions about it.

That only leaves me with a pseudo-statical question related to the anthropic principle - if consciousness is basic, why am I a human and not just a cloud, two atoms colliding together or any other system that does some information processing and is vastly more probable? But I suspect that's a function of self-awareness and memory, that somebody smarter could link to entropy and information theory; and it has little to do with qualia/consciousness being unique to the human brain.

I've been unemployed for 5 months and I think my personality disorder is winning anons...

>> No.12710327

We can't explain it using scientific evidence, but we can attempt to describe the processes philosophically and contribute that to the whole of evidence.

>The occasions of experience are of four grades. The first grade comprises processes in a physical vacuum such as the propagation of an electromagnetic wave or gravitational influence across empty space. The occasions of experience of the second grade involve just inanimate matter; "matter" being the composite overlapping of occasions of experience from the previous grade. The occasions of experience of the third grade involve living organisms. Occasions of experience of the fourth grade involve experience in the mode of presentational immediacy, which means more or less what are often called the qualia of subjective experience. So far as we know, experience in the mode of presentational immediacy occurs in only more evolved animals. That some occasions of experience involve experience in the mode of presentational immediacy is the one and only reason why Whitehead makes the occasions of experience his actual entities; for the actual entities must be of the ultimately general kind. Consequently, it is inessential that an occasion of experience have an aspect in the mode of presentational immediacy; occasions of the grades one, two, and three, lack that aspect. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_philosophy

>> No.12710434

>>12710233
Sir this is a Wendy's

>> No.12710443

>>12710233
maybe if you smoked less of pic related your brain wouldn't be so cloudy and you'd realize that consciousness and self-awareness are real regardless of not being able to figure it out *right now*.

>> No.12711088

>>12710233
No, anon, everything you said is perfectly logical. And it's utterly perplexing because the brain can otherwise be explained purely through evolution and biology. So why the fuck is this extraneous phenomenon there? It makes no sense.

>> No.12711105

>>12710443
OP here. We can understand self-awareness perfectly, to the point where it can be programmed and defined with math, as well as easily explained in plane english. I've never claimed consciousness is not real.