[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 11 KB, 321x306, 1348014460941.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12696397 No.12696397[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Are any of you religious? If so, why and what faith do you subscribe to? I'm not a fedora nor do I have anything against religion, I'm just curious how someone could accept to heart what all the extant ones say while remaining committed to empiricism.

>> No.12696405
File: 70 KB, 850x400, quote-my-experiences-with-science-led-me-to-god-they-challenge-science-to-prove-the-existence-wernher-von-braun-56-58-22.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12696397
The mystery of existence is still completely unsolved. Add in bizarre mystical experiences and it all flows from there in terms of beliefs/faith.

>> No.12696412

>>12696405
To clarify, I don't mean I don't get being spiritual, I know plenty of scientists have believed in God or similar transcendent ideas. I mean fully believing one of the labeled religions or -isms has figured out the truth of existence.

>> No.12696418

Pascal's Wagerism. I worship the maximum number of gods possible, just in case. Yeah, some of them require monotheism, so I'm out of luck if one of those is the correct faith.

>> No.12696428

>>12696397
Some people would rather let someone else drive than drive themselves, if you catch my drift.
For them, relinquishing responsibility also absolves them of any blame when things go wrong in their lives.
For what it's worth it's not an easy road, taking 100% responsibility for yourself, your choices, and what happens in your life. But I, for one, would rather have it that way, go it alone, than have a few Old Men, who claim to 'speak to God', tell me how to live my life.

>> No.12696436

>>12696412
I'm a christian but I dont think any -ism has it all figured out entirely. Theres truth in each religion to be found, but only fundies claim to have it all mapped out. I'm definitely not the type of individual you're curious in so probs cant help much.

>> No.12696560

>>12696428
*tips fedora*

>> No.12696567

>>12696418
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqJpZOljjG8

>> No.12696743

>>12696428
>relinquishing responsibility also absolves them of any blame when things go wrong in their lives
Painting all religious people with the brush of relinquishing responsibilities is bad practice. In Christianity, for example, the ideal Christian is constantly repenting, self-examining and asking if they're living their life in accordance with higher moral principles (viz. the will of God), and then, ultimately, believing that their station in the next life is the consequence of their choices in this one. The Buddhist literally believes that everything that befalls him is his fault due to Karma, and lives his life trying to attain enlightenment and therefore Nirvana. If a life of self-examination and preparing for death is one without responsibility then what qualifies as taking responsibility?

>have a few Old Men, who claim to 'speak to God', tell me how to live my life.
Honestly this statement makes you sound kind of ignorant. It is true that religious organizations often derive authority from tradition, and that this manifests as old men, and that many people are brought up religious by compulsion. However, all those who stay religious choose and constantly re-affirm their faith. Religion is communal and young and interactive; it's personal and in practice it is much more often the case that religious teaching happens when the follower reaches out to the religious authority for advice and guidance, instead of the authority imposing itself on its followers. Talk to a local priest, go to a service, open your heart and mind to the possibility of religion: as it stands you are missing out on an important part of human experience and existence. God bless you anon.

>> No.12696748

The thing is there is no evidence against materialism. It would be nice if a higher power or souls existed but if there isnt then I won't be disappointed in the future