[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 246 KB, 2048x1363, educationamerica3[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12664791 No.12664791 [Reply] [Original]

The desperate need for a complete overhaul is obvious. How do we fix this? What's the biggest bullet-point list of changes to the system that would dramatically improve it for the better.

Don't FUCKING start schools before 6:30 am. Children need sleep, generally MORE than 8 hours of sleep.

>> No.12664800

>>12664791
Separate ""programming"" from actual CS

>> No.12664912
File: 37 KB, 600x600, 1554564934385.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Education is the acquisition of the art of the utilisation of knowledge.

>In training a child to activity of thought, we must beware of what I will call "inert ideas" -- that is to say, ideas that are merely received into the mind without being utilised, or tested, or thrown into fresh combinations. Culture is activity of thought, and receptiveness of beauty and humane feeling. Scraps of information have nothing to do with it.

>By utilising an idea, I mean relating it to that stream, compounded of sense perceptions, feelings, hopes, desires, and of mental activities adjusting thought to thought, which forms our life. .

>Let the main ideas which are introduced into a child's education be few and important, and let them be thrown into every combination possible. The child should make them his own, and should understand their application here and now in the circumstances of his actual life.

>The solution which I am urging, is to eradicate the fatal disconnection of subjects which kills the vitality of our modern curriculum.

>..no course of study can claim any position of ideal completeness. Nor are the omitted factors of subordinate importance. The insistence in the Platonic culture on disinterested intellectual appreciation is a psychological error. Action and our implication in the transition of events amid the inevitable bond of cause to effect are fundamental. An education which strives to divorce intellectual or aesthetic life from these fundamental facts carries with it the decadence of civilisation.

>Disinterested scientific curiosity is a passion for an ordered intellectual vision of the connection of events. But the … intervention of action even in abstract science is often overlooked. No man of science wants merely to know. He does not discover in order to know, he knows in order to discover. The pleasure which art and sciences can give to toil is the enjoyment which arises from successfully directed intention. (Whitehead)

>> No.12664928

Better children.

>> No.12665910

first off we should reopen schools because not only are we robbing kids of a proper education but we're robbing them of their social development, the second part is what really gets me. My senior year I went to prom, got a girlfriend, wrote for the newspaper, was in national honor society, and did a speech at graduation. If it was covid back then I literally would have done none of that.

>> No.12665930

>>12664912
Whitehead was BTFO already, leave /sci/

>> No.12666048

>>12664791
Do Americans seriously start school before 9AM? Mine started at 8:45 and that was considered a bit early.

>> No.12666405

>>12666048
my highschool day started at 7:15 AM