[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 27 KB, 946x714, shutterstock.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12649294 No.12649294 [Reply] [Original]

Isn't the brain evidence that the soul is just the body? Is there any evidence that the soul is different from the body?

>> No.12649301

awwwwwww it's american

>> No.12649308

>>12649294
The concept of a soul is not real. We are just bio machines. No different from computers. Neurons are our circuits, and the brain is the peak of the tower where our consciousness resides. And yet, consciousness is simply an illusion. A concept created by the need of self-preservation and the evolution of intelligence, critical thinking and decision-making. Do not be fooled. Open your eyes.

>> No.12649313

>>12649308
So much idiocy in this comment. Where do I even start.

>> No.12649316

>>12649308
>do not be fooled. open your eyes

succulent irony of this post lmfao

>> No.12649317

>>12649313
Please start with evidence.
>>12649301
This is the science board not /b/ go back to /int/ or something thanks...

We post with evidence on the science board not opinions.

Post factual evidence and be sure that others have peer reviewed it.

If you don't like that, get out of the science community.

>> No.12649335

>>12649308
nah if we were just simple machines why would we be bound to these bodies for an entire lifetime? Like, 14 billion years went by before we were born, and that time went by pretty god damn fast if you ask me. My point is that we don't have to be forced into this conscious experience for the universe to do its thing. I think a lot of who we are really is just a machine, a big walking computer. But once you get past the neural network, for me at least, there seems to be an eternal sense of self.

Even if its all an illusion, its still a fact that our conscious self does not have to exist. Somehow for some reason, you popped into existence and this world is all you've ever known and will know. Yet its a fact that the world exists without you.

It just doesn't make sense to me for this universe to actually sort of enslave itself in this way, just randomly.

>> No.12649344

>>12649335
That's an invalid argument though.
You did live out all 14 billion years but forgot it because your brain only has memories from when you were alive.
You can't even remember most of your own life that well so how can you say you are bound to your own life if you can't even identify what you had for breakfast last week?

>> No.12649346

>>12649308
I'll break down your retarded comment line by line.

>The concept of a soul is not real.
Th concept of a transcendental component to us is proof that it is so. Transcendental concepts such as the nonphysical nature of consciousness and the existence of free will cannot arise within a purely mechanistic universe.

>We are just bio machines. No different from computers.
Machines without free will cannot imagine the concept of free will.

>the brain is the peak of the tower where our consciousness resides
You want to talk about evidence? Go ahead and give us the evidence of that.

>And yet, consciousness is simply an illusion.
It's an illusion? You just said it was a real thing that "resides" in our brains. By the way, what is it an illusion OF in the first place? Retard.

>A concept created by the need of self-preservation and the evolution of intelligence, critical thinking and decision-making.
You are utterly clueless.

>> No.12649353

>>12649335
In 17 billion years you will be gone and there will be a man somewhere saying that 17 billion years before he was born went by fast, and he will be you but he will not have memories of when he posted your post online because he can only remember what his brain allows him because he is a simple machine and he cannot access the storage of other computers that he used to be.

>> No.12649364

>>12649294
It's a poorly phrased question.
>Is there any evidence of a soul divorced from the body?
No, but it's not the question to ask. The question to ask is "why should we expect there to be a soul at all?" From a naturalist perspective, none. It's a false dichotomy.
>Is there consciousness?
Now this is an interesting question, and its answer hinges on whether free will exists. Naturalistically, I'm not convinced free will exists. If it doesn't exist, then the implication is that our consciousness is an illusion and we're merely operating as drones to biology.

>> No.12649782

>>12649346
>Transcendental concepts such as the nonphysical nature of consciousness and the existence of free will cannot arise within a purely mechanistic universe.
>Machines without free will cannot imagine the concept of free will.

Yes, they can, they do.

>> No.12649816

>>12649346
I think I recognize you from a similar thread yesterday. I recall you called people clueless and said "Cheers" when your bullshit was pointed out. Anyway.

>Th [sic] concept of a transcendental component to us is proof that it is so
Because it seems to me that I am experiencing the world as some kind of magical non-physical soul doesn't mean it's true. It doesn't matter how many times you say "transcendental", it doesn't change the fact that our intuitions can be wrong.

>> No.12650162

>>12649308
t. soulless machine

>> No.12650473

>>12649346
The concept of flibble whoop, proves that flibble whoop exists.

>> No.12650477

>>12650473
The intellectual giants of /sci/, everyone.

>> No.12650478

>>12649346
define free will

>> No.12650493

>>12650478
Raise your hand up. Look at it. Open and close it freely.

>> No.12650504

Read Descartes. You can reasonably doubt the existence of your brain. You can't reasonably doubt the existence of your mind. The mind and the brain are different things.

>> No.12650521

>>12650504
This, but I would replace "mind" with "consciousness". The definition of mind typical includes thoughts, which are brain-related.

>> No.12650534

>>12650493
Fair enough, but then another question arises for me, do animals have free will? Seems to me like acting out of instinct is all but free will
>>12650521
Aren't thoughts formulated by our consciousness?

>> No.12650543

Animals seem to act out of instinct no matter what but I think humans have an ability that no other animal has, restraint and a true capacity for self-sacrifice

>> No.12650548

That is what I think separates us from animals and proves we have free will

>> No.12650567

Given that there is an afterlife, the soul exists. If you don't believe in some form of life after death, then it's futile to define such a thing.

>> No.12650588

Now that isn’t fair at all. If one doesn’t believe in an afterlife, they can still and should still ponder what a soul is and if it exists for a number of good reasons. One of which being the obvious is that maybe upon further investigation, they might conclude that there is a soul and an afterlife. And another thing if it is truly pointless to discuss the existence of the soul if one does not already believe in an afterlife, where better to do it than on 4chan?

>> No.12650618

>>12650534
I think animal brains and human brians are so diferent that they can't be compared. At a superficial leve, I suspect animals are not occupied by conscious entites, though I could of course be wrong. The question of why humans and not animals, however, brings up a larger philosophical discussion of why we're here.

>Aren't thoughts formulated by our consciousness?
Thoughts are brain function, but I think true inspiration exists, wherein something from the outside is influencing your neural networks to birth a specific thought. Just see all of the radical geniuses who changed the world. Newton, Einstein, etc. Their high IQ alone wasn't what made them geniuses.

>> No.12651902

If soul does exist then evolution really makes no sense anymore to me
So for now I think evolution makes more sense

>> No.12652181
File: 13 KB, 657x527, apu.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

death is my number one fear in life anons. when i think about it i get so scared. i feel like life is just one whole long distraction from death. i can only sigh.