[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 156 KB, 940x530, Epiphany.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12648272 No.12648272 [Reply] [Original]

It is said, by the law of the conservation of mass that information cannot be created or destroyed. This has led me to have a thought experiment. Now we're all probably familiar with the concept that if you were to burn a sheet of paper, theoretically speaking, its ash holds the information of the paper still, it just changed form. Now CURRENTLY, we don't have a means, method or way to restore the paper to it's original form, but if the law of the conservation of mass is TRUE than it means IT IS possible, the information was not destroy it is still there, now stay with me.

If all that I've said so far is true, what other areas can this apply to if you think outside of the box for a second? This all hinges on the assumption that it is possible to restore information to its original form, but we just aren't technologically capable and not aware of a means to do so yet. If it is possible though, doesn't this mean sometime in the future IF IT IS possible that we will be able to recreate many things? Like for example memories from someone else/individuals? For example let's say someone died, their body has decayed and just bones are left. Now let us say we're in a scenario where we theoretical were able to preserve and contain all that person's "information", every single atom, particle, etc. Not only would we be able to restore that person, heck we wouldn't even need to go that far, but we would also be able to just recreate the memories of that person when they were alive, since the information was never lost or destroyed.

Now I know this sounds like some science fiction bullshit, but if what I'm saying adds up with the science and reality theoretically would it be possible? Please be harsh and let me know if what I'm saying is just bullshit, I want your thoughts on this.

>> No.12648274
File: 2.72 MB, 480x368, 8448cted.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://ppquimby.com/alan/prehen.htm

>> No.12648280

>>12648272
OP here, when I mentioned "recreating" someone's memories I meant it more like "looking" at it through some means like through a screen or something with a computer. Almost kind of like Assassin's creed

>> No.12648282

it would be possible yes but computationally infeasible to restore the paper. the amount of configurations of ash/soot would be mindboggling to calculate, an 8x11 sheet of soot would likely be supra-exp in terms of complexity. likely something crazy such as !exp^n where n is the number of ash or soot pieces.

>> No.12648292

>>12648274
Funny enough I was going to bring up drugs like LSD and DMT, and how somehow they are related to both this and the post, but I didn't want to go to retarded

>> No.12648296

>>12648282
I agree, I'm not really considering it as a practical consideration currently, but it is likely to be computationally feasible very easily in the future.