[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 7 KB, 228x221, fed_up.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12647343 No.12647343 [Reply] [Original]

Why are the majority of math professors so utterly devoid of teaching capabilities? They sink many hours into becoming an instructor (disregarding the time it took to obtain a masters in math) and they know better than anyone what the course material is like, yet the majority of math professors I've had could not for their own lives adequately teach a class without causing confusion, and, subsequently, frustration on the part of the students. I've started supplementing my differential equations course with professor Leonard, and one thing I like about the guy is that he takes his time and doesn't shy away from drawn out explanations provided that it benefits the student. Why can't more math professors be like this?

>> No.12647349

>>12647343
>the majority of math professors I've had could not for their own lives adequately teach a class without causing confusion, and, subsequently, frustration on the part of the students
You can't teach a subject to someone who's unwilling or incapable without confusing or frustrating them, anon. The problem is that large numbers of people are being allowed into classes they have no business being in.

>> No.12647357

>>12647343
>Why can't more math professors be like this?
Autism. Unironically, autism.

>> No.12647369

>>12647343
>*lecturer does long drawn out explanations*
>OMG why is he taking sooo long to explain this simple concept?!?! does he think we're toddlers?!?!

>*lecturer goes over the material as quickly as he can*
>OMG why does he go so fast?!?! Does he think we're geniuses or something?!?!

>> No.12648249

>>12647343
Because most of them dont know what theyre doing. Those in academia were just students once, and they may not even have been that smart.

>> No.12648262

>>12647349
this
it gets worse every year but Big academia wants those tuition monies.

Ive given up trying to reach deez kids and decided Id just do some problems that interests me on the board.
Id expect everyone to struggle following me but the smart ones will at least be inspired.

>> No.12648281

They don't care. Teaching is the equivalent of your mom telling you "if you cut the grass you can play video games". All maths professors are there to do research, teaching is something they have to do in order to get paid.

>> No.12648330

>>12647343
>differential equations
kek

>> No.12648574

>>12648281
this
a few years ago in first year some student went up to the prof at the end of the lecture and told him they want to be a lecturer after graduating
the prof laughed and walked away