[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.14 MB, 1440x810, bosons.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12625350 No.12625350 [Reply] [Original]

How do bosons carry force yet have super large mass at the same time? Where tf are they exactly?

>> No.12625359

A boson is basically a “particle” that has a full intiger spin whereas fermions have half intiger spins. Bosons are obviously force carriers. From what I’ve gathered in my 15 long years is that the reason they have mass is because of this one boson they found at CERN. The god particle; the Higgs boson. The Higgs boson is what gives all other particles mass, the reason all particles have mass is because of the Higgs field, if you’re curious about the Higgs field it’s basically one of the fields in quantum field theory but it interacts with all other fields to give particles mass. I’m sure you could find a better explanation, I’m no physicist. Best of luck to you.

>> No.12625388
File: 66 KB, 714x528, Standard Model.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

photons & gluons don't have mass

>> No.12625406

>>12625388
>gluons have mass
i did not know this

>> No.12626746

>>12625388
Fair but what about the Higgs boson? It's responsible for mass but it has mass itself. wtf is going on. What exactly is the difference between the Higgs field and a Higgs boson?

>> No.12626749

>>12625350
Mass indicates the range of the force. Photons are massless so have infinite range (commensurate with inverse square law). The weak bosons have heavy masses indicating ridiculously short range forces.

In principle the QCD interaction has infinite range too due to the massless gluon. But the color confinement breaks this expectation, as do glue balls.

>> No.12626768

>>12626746
Higgs is only responsible for a small porcentage of mass, the rest of the mass comes from the kinetic energy inside of quarks and so on.

>> No.12626770

>>12626768
I don't buy it. Where's the electron mass come from then?

>> No.12626782

>>12626770
Electron's mass is extremely small, it can pretty much be ignored. How come electrons have mass I think is an unknown mysterious aspect of QFT, Feynman talked about it.

>> No.12626943

>>12626782
As previously mentioned, a common misconception is that Higg's field = mass. But from our understanding, it only accounts for a very small portion...instead there are other theories like spontaneous chiral symmetry breaking that *might* explain where the rest of the mass is, but they are fundamentally untested theories so far.

>> No.12627325

>>12626768
>>12626943
Thanks for answering anon.
What is the current "state of the art" of quantum physics?
What are some popular topics that researchers are focused on?

>> No.12627336

>>12627325
State of the art: QCD. Look into resummations and fixed order distributions. Efforts are in pushing these calculations to higher precision.
Popular topic: Quark Gluon Plasma. Totally new area of QCD that's a bit puzzling to researchers at the moment.

>> No.12628220

>>12627325
"Quantum Physics" is a pretty huge field, with advancements in all sorts of areas. Sounds like you're more interested in theoretical particle physics? You can read up on electron-ion collider (EIC), a new accelerator being built at Brookhaven and the physics that they are exploring.

>> No.12628355

There appears to be a good deal of misinformation swimming around on this topic. The vector/scalar bosons, quarks, leptons and neutrinos if you consider them non-leptons are currently assumed to have mass from similar phenomena which are somehow tied to the Higgs mechanism. When people say that 'most of the mass is coming from somewhere else' they are only referring to compound particles (hadrons) such as protons and pions. The Higgs field and it's corresponding vacuum potential (VEV) are ad hoc additions to the standard model and their inclusion is not based on deeper principles or observations. The case for boson masses is easier to swallow since the idea is that the introduction of electroweak symmetry breaking would produce a scalar boson (e.g. Higgs) via Goldstone's theorem and generate non-zero mass eigenstates that mix with the W and Z bosons. The current idea is that since fermions can interact with the higgs and thus there exists some yukawa-like term (scalar-fermion interaction), there may also be a term that combines the higgs vacuum potential with fermions in a way that is similar to how mass terms are usually described in toy model QFTs. These terms contain coupling constants which simultaneously determine how strongly a fermion is coupled to the Higgs and how massive said fermion is. This explanation is good enough since without these terms there is no obvious way of including fermion masses in the standard model but the microscopic origin of these varying coupling and VEV values has not been settled

>> No.12628400

Also, most of the hadron mass is expected to be coming from gluons and seaquarks (quarks coming in and out of existence via gluon splitting and recombination), but there are theorists that claim that chiral flipping of quarks inside the proton also play a role as another poster might have referenced. These claims can't truly be supported yet since lattice QCD calculations are still improving.

>> No.12628604

>>12626746
>What exactly is the difference between the Higgs field and a Higgs boson
Particles in QFT are excitations of their respective fields.

>> No.12628623
File: 47 KB, 145x200, particle physics.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12628604
>neutrino fields
Nigger what?
>Electroweak mixing
So, lemme get this right. You physishits have fields. From which particles are the excitations of these fields. But they're not the REAL MEASURABLE particles. No, there's a degeneracy and you gotta rotate them via a CKM matrix?
>fields
>particles excitations of field
>rotate parameter space
>rotated particles are actual particles
>mfw

>> No.12628673

>>12628623
mass eigenstates (observable) are linear combinations of flavor eigenstates. this is not a new concept

>> No.12628749

>>12626768
>inside of quarks
inside of protons,neutrons
https://youtu.be/JqNg819PiZY?t=40m

>> No.12629003

>>12628749
great video, kind of sums up the answers to a lot of the questions in this thread plus squashes misconceptions

>> No.12629028

>>12625406
most of the mass in protons and neutrons is due to the gluon masses. do not ask me for more information i learned this today in my particle physics lecture also i do not remember it perfectly so it may be false

>> No.12629171

>>12629028
you won't make it

>> No.12629325

>>12629028
See >>12628400