[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 348 KB, 1332x1949, 947d67183fd1a3247bc2bf3076f8319d1d6b65b017c9d8a94b9354c699fafd38.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12486308 No.12486308 [Reply] [Original]

Tell me if this is legit before I go wasting a week on this bullshit

>> No.12486365

>>12486308
>waste a week on this bullshit
You're obviously not happy with your lifestyle, so you've probably already wasted enough weeks on "bullshit", no? Might as well try.

>> No.12486386

Do it, but you are also allowed to do math with pen and paper.

>> No.12486469

Do it. Take it seriously. What he wrote corresponds very well with our intuitive judgement so I think you will come out of this with something useful

>> No.12486476

I mean worst case you spend a week reading and lifting right?

>> No.12486479

>>12486476
Op is just lazy

>> No.12486612

It seems as though the OP at least attempted the method they described themselves.

There is merit in habit, what you do will build upon itself throughout the day.
If you want to do something, identify the easiest aspect of that routine.

You want to work out?
>find work-out shoes, put on
>put on work-out clothing
Then you are half-way to working out.
>stretch, warmup light.

If you can do that everyday, there will come a day where you 'accidentally' slip into working out a little bit harder than the day before.

Habits should come easier and easier, just make sure to reevaluate yourself every now and again to see if that habit is too much extra-stress or taking up too much time, getting in the way of other hobbies, relationships, or habits.

Also, habits take time to build, and also take time to unbuild.

>> No.12486618

>>12486308
TL;DR: just search for dopamine detox

>> No.12486700

>>12486308
great to see the wisdom of /fit/ spreading to other boards. good luck OP, I did it and it helped.

>> No.12486724

Probably bullshit on the science end but the advice given in the pic is obviously good (the daydreaming bit especially) and the method will probably help if you do it properly.

>> No.12488066

>>12486308
yeah

>> No.12488085

>>12486308
Probably not but do it anyway. Don't forget to report back.

>> No.12488396

>>12486308
The only way you will be motivated to do this shit is if you already hate your own life and have nothing to lose, and nothing in this advice is dangerous. So yeah if you have nothing to lose why not try.
I think there are some useless things in it like "no idle time" but then meditation is basically a fancy name for idle time, and most people will feel bored after enough time of daydreaming so it doesn't matter. The food part is also accessory.

>> No.12488426

>>12486308
If you can't even resist for a week, then it probably works

>> No.12489457

>>12486308
This makes sense, but I think there's probably some individual variation and an issue with local and global optima.

For example, you could decide right now to cut all your excesses and then 3 days later move to Tibet and become a monk and do nothing but meditate all day every day. Within a week or two your dopamine system would likely start feeling rewarded just from this lifestyle. You would likely adapt and be content and fulfilled from this lifestyle and could potentially sustain it for the rest of your life.

But should you? Is it the best thing for you given potential alternatives? Is there a potentially massive opportunity cost? Does it just put you in a local optimum without you ever finding a global one?

I don't necessarily agree with the whole "spend a week doing nothing but lifting and reading". This is a way to upregulate DA receptors, but it's not the only way. On the other hand, I see how full abstinence from unhealthy and addictive things is sometimes the only thing that works for some people.

This is also probably aimed at people who are really interested in lifting. If that doesn't apply to you, make it studying, programming, solving math problems, or whatever else instead.

My advice would be to first try something less extreme and more generic: just space pleasures apart. Make things like masturbation and recreational internet use and even maybe drug use occasional treats instead of daily routines. You'll both enjoy those treats far more when you do partake, and will be way more productive during the gaps between them.

If you really can't space things apart (e.g. only slack off on weekends), then you can try this total abstinence approach, but I'd still replace the lifting with something else that intrinsically interests you if applicable (though also include exercise as part of your activities, of course).

>> No.12490779

>>12486308 pic
that's why amazons burned off one of their boobs