[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 436 KB, 1280x720, 72795080[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12482870 No.12482870 [Reply] [Original]

Don't study pure math or science. Just don't. It's not fucking worth it. I wish I could go back and undo this and just become a code monkey. Read this very carefully.

>you will NEVER catch up to the kids that had professors as parents and were doing real analysis and quantum mechanics when they were 12
>even if you have the same level of natural iq/intelligence as anyone else you still will be too far behind the people who have talent AND the experience and work ethic
>if you EVER get below a 3.9 say goodbye to going to the top grad schools because they have so many perfect candidates to pick from plus you have to compete with all of india and china
>got a B freshman year? Say goodbye to that REU that year. Then the REU next year since you didn't have the research experience from the first year... Oh you don't even know what an REU is? You poor soul...
>BTW, only people from the top grad schools have any future in academia
>you have to keep publishing complete garbage to be able to eat
>chinks/pajeets read your research and steal your work
>you will grow to hate it, guaranteed
>backstabbing everywhere
>get a shit advisor? RIP
>even if you make it through this sick system you have to keep slaving and publishing garbage just to maybe get an adjunct professorship at some shithole
>postdoc after postdoc after postdoc that lead to nowhere
>work for under minimum wage
>affirmative action is out of control in STEM
>industry takes your research, never pays you for it
>tenure track positions are GONE
>maybe you want to get out of the academia hamster wheel; those "quant wall street jobs for STEM phds"? They only want phds from harvard and yale, not your non-ivy school! LOL!

If you did the entire undergrad math/physics curriculum while in high school and are currently at an Ivy league with a 3.9+ taking graduate level classes and are engaging in research with world renowned professors, then carry on. Otherwise GIVE UP NOW.

>> No.12482872
File: 82 KB, 1200x900, 4107266.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You're too weak for this world anon.

>> No.12483311

Yeah capitalism is fucked

>> No.12483325

>>12482870
why not leverage your knowledge and experience into something positive? opportunities may reveal themselves if you stop judging yourself in comparison to others. what made you want to study pure math or science in the first place? your mindset will limit you moreso than your position. many npc do not have access to the lore. life is a series of unique hurdles and challenges; relish them instead of crying like a smooth brained faggot

>> No.12483329

>>12482870
Thats why I am taking engineering, so I can build my mad scientist garage experiments while making a little dough improving my skills in the workplace.

>> No.12483332

>>12482870
I'm glad I took CS and am on track to become a code monkey.

>> No.12483358

He has a point, there are many hurdles on the path to become a physicist or a mathematician and many aspiring students fail to realize that you can’t have major slip ups and expect to continue this path. It’s unfortunate news, but it saves you time and effort to investigate other career choices.

>> No.12483669

Graduated in physics and still hold contact to like 6 former students... none of them does anything science related, as there were no jobs paying better than just normal fucking retail. I was told one from our year actually made it, but he's the stereotype OP describes: prof parents, traveled the world for internships got a nice patent and now lives off of that.

>> No.12483705

>>12482870
>just to maybe get an adjunct professorship at some shithole
This is the funniest part about mathfags to me.
You guys wanted prestige and status and then end up teaching pre-calc to 30 year old single moms at community college lol

>> No.12483710

>>12483329
>That's why I am taking engineering
>he thinks engineering is still a ticket to the middle class
LMAO
Field has been saturated for a decade. EVERYONE majors in engineering now. Professors are too afraid to fail anyone and even the dumbest roastie can get an engineering degree, and she'll get hired before you since she has a slimehole.
No need to even mention pajeets and chinks

>> No.12484219

>>12482870
just study what you like, nigger

>> No.12484353

All true except if you are so smart why can't you get into coding. If you don't want to waste a lot of time just go the bootcamp route just to get in the door and then your smarts will be noticed and you should be fine from there.

>> No.12484366

>>12483705
yeah this is the reason why there are so many bitter anti-CS troll threads. thats the only thing the math fags has going for them: "b-b-but we are smarter than you". nothing else. so they work minimum wage jobs and sperg on /sci/.

>> No.12484541

>>12484366
Not even a coder (work at hospital) but lmao so true.
>w-we're so smart haha
Ok retard I'll just use my calculator instead

>> No.12484571
File: 117 KB, 372x351, 1442483100868.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>It's another STEM retard who didn't read his history or western canon falls into a broken institution without knowing any better and wastes all his like talent and knowledge on worthless shit episode.

I've seen this rerun too many times.

>> No.12484660

I don't care, nigger, I love physics and I carry on
t. HEP theory grad student

>> No.12484668

>>12482870
Maybe try another country than 'murica. 99% of european unis are better anyway than US and amount of pajeets/chinks is relatively low (for now)

>> No.12484779

>>12482870
You're a child.
You know nothing.
You will fail because that's what you decided when you wrote this post.

>> No.12485890

lmao fuck academia loser

>> No.12485979

It's not about acceleration or ability at the undergrad level at least. The AOs aren't profs and don't really give a fuck about how much advanced math you know unless you have international olympiad medals and look like a promising candidate to show off at the Putnam or whatever. If you have contacts in a department who can phone the admissions office that's great and your chances are improved, but most successful people don't. There are a fair few radical accelerands who amount to fuck all either because they're too lazy or because they don't have the nice package AOs want to see. IK a lot of ya are in uni and hence the focus is turned to grad programs but undergrad has a profound influence on connections, research opportunities, and other critical factors for applying to grad school. It's not immediately over if you don't make MIT or Harvard undergrad but pedigree is often undervalued.

>> No.12485993

>>12485979 cont.
I'm out of the game despite having some initial advantages. I started taking graduate-level math and physics classes when I was 15. Self-studied calc when I was 12 cuz I read an email suggesting I might be NVLD and wanted to disprove. The first quarter of senior year my classes were on stochastic modeling in biology, fluid dynamics, comparative linguistics of Chinese dialects, and thermodynamics/statmech. The quarter after that I did grad classes on convex analysis, dynamical systems, and advanced topics in stochastics. I was at the top of every uni course I took and also did a sequence of advanced undergrad bio classes (genetics -> molecular&cellular bio -> bioinformatics) in my junior year, as well as ML/AI. I had a research opportunity working with a professor to model optimal proliferation of Chlamydia using stochastic control. In addition to the dual-enrollment shit I'd done 11 AP tests (including Phys C freshman year with 5 ofc, all 5s or 4s). Had an unweighted GPA of 3.973, was selected as a Semifinalist US Presidential Scholar, and had glowing LoRs from uni profs (including the former head of applied math department and the prof I was working on research with). Attended PROMYS and took two of the second-year seminars in addition to the main program. Had a 36 ACT (from when I was 15), 800s on Math II and Physics subject tests. One of my ECs was a mod I'd coded for Witcher 3 that had gotten 100k+ downloads. Wrote essay about how I wanted to be a prof to do research and share my passion for math with others. Got rejected from every good uni I applied to (2/3 of the places). Got rescinded for fucking up and doing drugs. If not for that I'd have taken a special topics course on analysis on complex manifolds for spring q. Was reading books on QFT and quantum probability on my own time. As far as IQ is concerned a couple of tests from kiddie years suggest 167-168. YMMV

>> No.12485999

>>12484366
mathfag here. I figured out I wasn't smart enough to be Grisha Perelman so eased into code simianship. Comfy job. I can still do some math on my spare time.

>> No.12486017
File: 41 KB, 600x600, st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12482870
You need to talk, anon? Things ok?

Really, it's not as bad as you make it out to be. Within the ratrace to tenure, the situation is about as bleak as you describe (fuck ivy-league nepotism). So don't do that. Start a company, join a larger company, become a consultant, work at a research institute. There are plenty of careers for scientists, but unsurprisingly tenured professors who wasted their life postdoc-hopping without family for inhumane PIs have no understanding of what's available elsewhere.

>> No.12486027

>>12485979
>>12485993
This sounds absolutely miserable. Why didn't you simply apply to a strong state school for your undergrad? The students who populate grad programs at [your-favorite-brand-name-uni] are drawn almost equally from state schools and Ivy's from what I've seen — look at the chemical engineering graduate students' pedigrees at MIT for example.

>> No.12486050

>>12485979
>>12485993
try harder, pseud

>> No.12486082

>>12485993
This is a larp. If you said something like "I only focused on my classes and had a shitty GPA" or "I was insufferable" what you are saying might've had some validity to it. However, you are literally describing yourself as a perfect academic applicant. There is no way you would've gotten rejected from every good uni you applied to. How smart do you think kids in those places are?

The points you made in the first post were good, but why are you making a second post that is so blatantly false?

>> No.12486091

>>12482870
I study it because I enjoy it. I don't stop playing chess because Magnus Carlsen exists. Also academia is disgusting.

>> No.12487647

>>12482870
>you will NEVER catch up to the kids that had professors as parents and were doing real analysis and quantum mechanics when they were 12
sadly this, and it is also true with lesser magnitude in engineering

>> No.12488034

>>12482870
Why is the american education system so cucked?

>> No.12488103

Damn. What a joke thread. No one in my life had any kind of scientific background and I am far and above the most advanced math student in my graduating class at a top 10 undergrad. Obviously that's peanuts and I'll have to wait for grad school to see whether I've really got it or not. But whinging about how undergrad theory STEM is unfair? Lmao.

>> No.12488118

>>12488103
>I am far and above the most advanced math student
kek

>> No.12488142

>>12488118
I mean I don't really like the idea myself but if you were to compare my transcript and CV with any other student in the class I think it would be pretty clear. For certain there were plenty of other people in OTHER classes who were a lot better than me - 5 people come to mind immediately from the 3 years ahead of me. And I'm sure there are plenty of people in other departments who are better at what they do than I am at math. But they aren't better at math than I am.
This is an unfortunate and obnoxious fact which I am forced to accept. It was also not true for a long time. I guess it became true in my 3rd year. Like I said I'd never written a proof before college, thought "algebra" meant nothing more than "solve for x," and did math because I thought integrals were fun. Somehow that ended up not really holding me back, I have no fucking clue how. But this shit >>12487647 is just false, it has less to do with how you grew up and more to do with developing self-sufficiency and willpower.

>> No.12488211

>>12488142
At a certain point, it is no longer possible to power through your studies with only your determination and willpower. Sadly, not everyone has the aptitude to learn graduate level math or physics, as cocky as it sounds.

>> No.12488225

>>12488211
Duh, derr? Thanks for pointing this out I guess.

>> No.12488242

>>12486050
based

>> No.12488261

>>12488225
Just wasn't sure if you were the type to think that anything's possible with hardwork alone, I guess not and no problem.

>> No.12488291

>>12482870
>studying a field for any other reason than studying the field
ngmi

>> No.12488779

>>12488291
This

You do what you love and you will never work a day in your life

>> No.12488845

i'm one final away from getting my physics undergrad
>~3.8 GPA
>2 semesters of research + 1 upcoming REU
>high tier non-ivy school
what are my grad school odds bros im applying or fall 22

>> No.12489128
File: 110 KB, 600x400, 1607942412681.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12482870
TEAHC ME HOW TO GET A GRASP AT MATHS ! i'm retarded with a short attention span, it's all gibberish and my head literally feels empty when i'm doing maths or just hearing about it

>> No.12489217

>>12488845
What is your race?

>> No.12489227
File: 48 KB, 410x416, 1608149305706.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12488211
>Sadly, not everyone has the aptitude to learn graduate level math or physics, as cocky as it sounds.
Is that really true though? Anyone can go buy a graduate level mathematics textbook and do the problems. It's not like graduate textbooks are magically harder than undergraduate textbooks. How could they be? What one field calls undergraduate content is another field's graduate content. Anything you have a class or textbook on is not esoteric in anyway. Research papers are esoteric. But in any field, there are influential published research papers that an eager undergraduate could understand. Self study in isolation will not directly open up a tenured position for anyone (except maybe Faraday), but the learning the content itself is more than manageable. There are plenty of graduates that learned all the material, jumped through all the hoops, and will never have a career in science because they won't take to research.

>> No.12489385

>>12489217
white/slavic. 1st gen college student i think that counts for something as far as AA

>> No.12489407

>>12483669
Add one more, anon.
>bsc phys from Canuck provincial school
>may as well have been sociology, went and worked in a retail bank shilling mutual funds
>hated it, took the minimalist pill, stocking shelves part home now & much happier

>> No.12489415

but i can be a comfy uni teacher in my shithole country

>> No.12489439

>>12482870
This is why I did Classics for uni and do /sci/ as a hobby.

>> No.12489440

>>12484779
>just pull yourself up by your bootstraps, bro!
If you're a hypercompetitive cunt who doesn't mind that less than 5% of students will meaningfully work in their field because he's confident he can knife-fight himself into that top few percent, fine. But please fuck off, the current system sucks for almost everyone & is terrible for producing worthwhile science too, it's perfectly reasonable to discourage potential victims for falling for the trap.

>> No.12489461

>>12489440
>meaningfully work in their field
Who cares lmao. I just wanna do math in any amount, I'd love to be a low level prof doing small useless research and teaching intro analysis/algebra, please refer to >>12484219
>>12486091
>>12488291 for more info

t. another anon

>> No.12489473

>>12489461
even doing that is very hard, that's the whole point of the thread you numbnuts

>> No.12489495

>>12489461
Unironically good luck anon. I just worry that the demand for people like you is so much smaller than the supply that you could likely get more done as a dedicated hobbyist, and skip all the academic horseshit while you're at it.

>> No.12489547

If you like math, want to work in academia, and have money burning a hole in your pocket go to university.
If you like math, want to work in academia, and don't have money. Study math and programming and do contract work until you have enough money to go get your degree.
If you like math and don't want to work in academia, study math maybe learn to program depending on how much money you have.

>> No.12489562

>>12489547
cont
no matter how "far ahead" people are of you it doesn't matter because eventually everyone gets pigeonholed into a few very small niches.
Also, the academia niggers have to waste their time teaching and writing papers plus a whole other load of bullshit.
Ya maybe they have natural talent but there are diminishing returns on human intelligence.
Maybe they can work twice as fast as you (which is way more than is plausible)
if they only work 2 hours in a day, and you work 5 you have them beat.

>> No.12489570

>>12482870
>and just become a code monkey.
that's worse than theabove because they use wha the mathematians and co shit out.

In 3rd party libraries
that have shitty/no documentation

Fuck that shit, just become a carpenter and make the most awesome table possible.

>> No.12489728

>>12489385
Wrong answer. You are a black transwoman. Congratulations on your acceptances.

>> No.12489741

>>12482870
and you know all this how?

>> No.12489798

>>12482870
>you will never be the best of the best so don't even bother trying
pathetic desu

>> No.12489873

>>12489570

no real cs use the turds math shits out and turns them into diamonds. being simply computeable with shitty math symbols doesnt really mean shit in the real world which is also why pure math is a fucking joke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolmogorov_complexity

in theory math equals "General Intelligence"
but in practice its more akin to autism.

>> No.12489884

>>12489873
> Kalamagorov

The reason CS is important has to do with dictionary size where in CS its 2, either 1 or 0 while in math its whatever the fuck these autists agree on.greek latin etc

therefor
CS > Math

>> No.12489895

>>12482870
imagine having to know more than algebra to do your job. over here im making 800k a year making sure black kids get the same grades as smart kids.

>> No.12490047

>>12489440
>5%
easy as fuck to be top 5%. top 5% isn't exceptional: it's competent. you can get to top 5% almost anywhere by just giving a semblance of a shit, in all but the most tryhard-infested programs.

just studying after class is enough to make you a 95 percentile outlier in undergrad. in grad school, it seems like it's just paying attention to classes at all.

kids these days treat college the way they treat high school, putting in only as much effort as needed to make deadlines and pass exams. If your attitude is anything at all more than just getting the work done, you're already ahead of the curve. Just focus on study and the grades literally come for free.

academics care about grades, and industry cares about your intuition and knowledge. studying addresses both.

OP's points on research experience are valid though. you can definitely get unlucky there, if you don't play the networking (nepotism) game.

>> No.12490314

>>12482870
Nobody studies pure math to actually make money. You either pick up some application or go along with whatever retarded new thing the current faculty comes up with. Otherwise you can go to the military and hope you don't see too much while seeing way too much

>> No.12490415

>>12489895
Thanks Joe Biden

>> No.12490928

I'm an ivy league grad in math/phys and smarter than all you fags. I literally created new math and did very high level problems in phys. If youre actually that smart you will:

1.) choose something else after you graduate, most people in academia are dick sucking retards. You don't get in because you're smart, you get in because you're white and you dont make your professors look dumb by comparison.

2.) if youre not a retard and actually interested and have time, you can teach yourself programming and make decent $$

3.) physics isn't dead, its just corrupt as hell, and math is filled with pedos and racists and wannabe nazis lmao.

Do your own stuff on the side and make money doing something that isnt worthless.

>> No.12490982

>>12490928

In case anyone was wondering why I didnt make it in academia, its because Im Woke and insufferable to other-minded people.

>> No.12491010

>>12490928
>get in because you're white

what the fuck are you talking about you dunderhead

>> No.12491803

>>12483710
Nice to be an engineer in a third world country with a chronic shortage of engineers then

>> No.12491836
File: 182 KB, 600x425, Bachman greenhouse.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

That's why I said fuck it and started farming. Been doing it for nearly a decade, and I just got a new job managing some one else's farm. My goal is to jump around until I find a rich person who needs a manager or my own land.

I'm really glad I never went to graduate school.

>> No.12491862

>>12490928
post nose

>> No.12493482

>>12483311
Rent is due chapo

>> No.12493805

>>12482870
Your problem is that you're too insexure and self-conscious.
I did physics because I wanted to learn more. What I do after my degree is abother matter, I currently work in a bank.

If you want o learn physics and/or mathematics, do it, you'll always regret notnhaving done it just for the chance of getting a wagecuck opportunity. University is not a place to get a "career pass" how fuckong fucked do you have to be to think like that? If that is your goal, just learn a trade and earn more without paying for tuition.

>> No.12493811

>>12493805
>University is not a place to get a "career pass" how fuckong fucked do you have to be to think like that?
unfortunately it is the motivation for the majority of bachelors

>> No.12493840

Nothing to do with the thread but have to ask, does somebody knows this page? (DONT CLICK IN IT)

http://index-of.co.uk/

I have searched about it and i cant find nothing, just saw stewarts calculous on it but im not sure, is it safe? Somebody knows it?

>> No.12493849

Is biomedical a good choice? I can find hundreds of lab jobs in pathology and microbiology with a simple tippity tap of the keyboard anywhere in the world and you only need a bachelors to start working. Starting salary in the UK is like £35k not to mention emigration prospects, a pathologist in Australia makes around $90k straight away

>> No.12494162
File: 354 KB, 522x767, 1598055452409.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12489385
Enjoy losing your spot to the physics version of pic related

>> No.12494170

>>12482872
fpbp

>> No.12494201

>>12490928
>I literally created new math
Said no one who had done math research, ever.

>> No.12494256

>>12483710
but what if you are already middle class? (I am currently going to college on a trust-fund)

>> No.12494443

>>12491836
based

>> No.12495491

>>12490928
lmao jew shill spotted
post degree and nose

>> No.12495991
File: 324 KB, 1908x1428, tired.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i am 22 and just started a math degree because that's something i've wanted to do for the past ~2 years and this thread is immensely demotivating to me :/

>> No.12496170

>>12495991
Healthy serving of reality, anon. Switch majors while you're still young.

>> No.12496244

>>12482870
>>chinks/pajeets read your research and steal your work
This is so true lol. I am a pajeet and I have stolen and made good money from research in internet. People consider me a genius and I have a very good life standard.

>> No.12496267

>>12496244
>This is so true lol. I am a LARPER and I have stolen and made good KEKS from BRAINLETS in internet. People consider me a STREETSHITTER and I have a very good COCK SUCKING SKILLS.

>> No.12496283
File: 66 KB, 1200x742, D62sd7BW4Acni0l.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12482870
tl;dr
have some ignorant engineers for parents
wasn't making science until 25 or so
suddenly noticed something nobody saw
smoke weed almost every day and make one discovery after another
(also fuck academia)

>> No.12496284

>>12496267
Cope, seethe and dilate.

>> No.12496441

>>12496283
Heaviside's uncle was literally Charles Wheatstone, who tutored him while he has younger.
cope

>> No.12496467

>>12496441
Even though he was tutored by Wheatstone, academia never embraced him (because he didn't have a diploma. cope that)
And I have something he never had: the internet (and with such technology, who needs academia at all!)

>> No.12496478

>>12496467
>Even though he was tutored by Wheatstone, academia never embraced him
So? He would have never made the contributions he made had it not been for that influence.
>And I have something he never had: the internet
Retarded popsci videos made by faggots and w*men are no replacement for formal education. The internet as a learning resource is just really good at making you think that you understand something, while you really understand nothing. You are coping. kys

>> No.12496484
File: 93 KB, 1522x1867, 3lm8mMCYyfuOuYik.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12496283
>making science

>> No.12496489

>>12482870
>never caught up to any prodigies
>still publishing papers in good journals
you don't have to be a genius. Just work hard in grad school and don't let yourself get pushed into doing projects that are doomed to fail. None of this shit matters once you're in grad school anyways. You can't learn everything. Just be competent in your area of expertise and collaborate with your friends to put together interesting papers.

>> No.12496497

>>12495991
don't let losers get you down. Just study what you enjoy.

>> No.12496531

>>12496478
>He would have never made the contributions he made had it not been for that influence.
You don't know that.
> Retarded popsci videos
Nice reflections (not so nice)

>> No.12496582

>>12496531
>You don't know that.
His first publication was on Wheatstone bridges, so yes, I do.
>Nice reflections
>reflections
okay brainlet. this conversation is over

>> No.12496600

>>12496582
>His first publication was on Wheatstone bridges
Otherwise it would be on something else.
> this conversation is over
because you have no idea what makes a scientist (if you're an idiot a diploma won't help, but you'll get one, because it's all about memorization, the skill opposite to the one a young man actually needs to be a true scientist)

>> No.12496607

>>12482870
Cool

>> No.12496659
File: 49 KB, 471x439, XOjGCeZDTPDUYi50.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12482870
>
ok buddy

>> No.12496689

>>12485993
Yo someone tell me if anon LARPing. How in the fuck did this guy not get in

>> No.12496717

>>12496689
>Yo someone tell me if anon LARPing
Anon is LARPing.

>> No.12496719

>>12495991
I started straight after high school and I really regret it, I wasn't mature enough to really get the full experience and I've honestly still not recovered from the poor choices I made. I'd say you are in a good position, just work hard, read interesting research as you learn more and network the shit out of phds and faculty you meet.

>> No.12496726
File: 147 KB, 749x844, 1606602884705.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12496719
>I started straight after high school and I really regret it, I wasn't mature enough to really get the full experience and I've honestly still not recovered from the poor choices I made.
literally me
18 is too early to go off to uni imo

>> No.12496766

>>you will NEVER catch up to the kids that had professors as parents and were doing real analysis and quantum mechanics when they were 12

But I did. I spend most of my evenings in the garage where I tool around with my current project. Apply yourself, there's more to science than just theory. Also pure math is shit and only for 110% spergs that are detached from the social dogma and think in a different plane of existence. GPAs in particular are a stupid thing to piss yourself over, if you can't build a science project and be happy with the results just for the results and experience perhaps you picked the wrong field.

>> No.12496891

>>12482870
Why not just double major with compsci for applicable skills in literally every field ever?

>> No.12496989

>>12496766
>I spend most of my evenings in the garage where I tool around with my current project
That's nice as a hobby but it won't bring you any public success, which is what OP is talking about

>> No.12497032

>>12496989

My point that if OP wanted public success, he should have become a strip dancer or onlyfans streamer.

>> No.12497473

>>12496478
You can watch recorded lectures and access the assignments and the accompanying textbook. I don’t see that it’s impossible to learn online, but I do think it’s much more difficult and not really beneficial for the most part. You probably be better off just going to a college for the same effort, at least that way you have proof of your accomplishments.

>> No.12498296

word of advice to my fellow brainlet math bros who still really want to make it in research/academia, take a serious look into biomath; tons of research opportunities there that can be quite fun if you enjoy applied math. most computational biology programs/labs need people who know math beyond a superficial level and will prefer brainlet applied math students who dabble in biology over bio students who dabble in math. instead of forcing yourself through required pure maths that just don't click with you, you can make do with a core of dynamics/probability classes + complex analysis (or complex variables if analysis filters you), throw in a few intro bio/chem clsses, then pick and choose what you do enjoy from the pure math core. do watch out for actual bio/chem classes though, the intros tend to be weeders and you've presumably been doing process/proof oriented coursework instead of anything memorization for the past few years.

I loved dynamics and topology/differential geometry and was cool with analysis, but algebra fucking filtered me like a pleb. could've probably worked my way up to being fine with it eventually, but more than likely not enough to edge my way into a math grad program where trying to go into academia would be practical. had a great prof for nonlinear dynamics who shilled me on theoretical neuroscience which is where I went instead. now I work mostly with nonlinear ODE models, bifurcation/phase plane analysis, etc. not what I thought I'd be doing two years ago but still sufficiently mathematical for my tastes, and hey cool research is cool research. bonus: I didn't have to learn CS/data science beyond the minimum required for the major, and now just very occasionally write/update code for models (literally the most basic of numpy/scipy stuff).

tl;dr if you like math but you're a brainlet, check out biomath. you'll have a chance to avoid competing with people who are this but unironically >>12485993 and instead compete against lolbiomajors.

>> No.12499926

>>12498296
Thanks anon, I really needed that

>> No.12499930

>>12482870
Bump

>> No.12500131

>>12482870
Just go into the banking industry. Literally the easiest jobs in the world if you're marginally good at maths. Get paid 10X what your peers are making, slaving away research crap only other Ph.D. students care about. Also, you work literally half as much, and can dedicate your free-time to leisure/self-actualization.

>> No.12500227

>>12485993
Sounds like your issue is that you're too autistic/adhd to focus on one area. You went the jack-of-all trades route, trying to have as wide of an understanding as you could. I get it, you were curious. But, you didn't really dive deep enough. You can't just do 1-2 research projects in maths and expect to be viewed as an expert. You need to have been laboriously researching for years, with multiple publications that are cited many times in respected journals.

You need to go narrow and deep. That is just the state of academia. Don't kid yourself and think you can convince anyone that you have some grand unifying theory/idea that can bridge multiple disciplines or have widespread application. So you're smart. Congratulations. That doesn't mean that a Uni must be forced to fund your curiosities.

Also... I take it that your curiosity was largely fueled by/maintained with recreational drugs. Don't expect any sympathy from anyone other than a former addict.

Reset your expectations. Just because you're naturally curious doesn't mean you should be a researcher in academia. Such roles exist in many different industries... you would be surprised. Anyway, good luck and quit doing dumb shit. And remember, your IQ score won't get you a career, and it won't even get you a job.

>> No.12500296

>be biofag
>get degree in bioinformatics because coding and machine learning skills are supposed to make you more competitive in the job market
>graduate, rejected from everywhere, even entry level data science positions
>one professor literally tells me that with my grades (B average) I'd need to be an ethnic minority or woman to get a phd stipend

Tbh I learned that it doesn't even matter what you studied. I'm qualified for literally every entry level data-science position, but my lack of experience and networking keeps me out. Don't make my mistake bros. Stop whatever you're doing and look for an internship or part time job, right fucking now.

>> No.12500387

>>12485993
Nigga you throw the blocks at the proctor. Second you gotten an extended norms on the verbal tests not the whole thing. Stop posting your IQ its like a signal for someone to track you.

>> No.12500405
File: 72 KB, 750x600, MotivationalMordinhug.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12498296
<3 awwwww

>> No.12500415

Maths? Heh. What year is this? Just learn J, the programming language. That's all you need to be better than any mathematician. You just need to master the language, which itself is immensely difficult to even begin using. This could take 10 or more years. But a truly proficient J programmer has the world under his fingers.

>> No.12500475

>>12482870
This is true and is the ultimate blackpill for the retarded undergrads here.

Did engineering and never looked back.

>> No.12500484

>>12500415
>J
>Not APL

>> No.12500488
File: 33 KB, 568x346, 859af532-157b-4ed4-9210-77f9094b59b9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12482870
I read posts like this and Im always thankful I went into industry. Fuck that low paid rat race to impress other peoples parents lol

>> No.12500498

>>12482870
sell out to industry as soon as you can, don't fall for the academia meme
then you get a comfy job in a field you enjoy. At least I'd hope you do - otherwise why the fuck would you have picked it over any other mind numbing career path that probably pays better?

>> No.12500539

The day that "Professor" is associated with "Leech/back-stabber/patronizer/predator/deluded/obsessive/etc") is the day that the truly intelligent and curious can move on from viewing academia as a viable outlet to socialize, crystallize and grow their curiosity and intelligence.

If you're a maths professor working for some middle-of-the-road Uni, and you are advising Ph.D. students, you have an obligation to convince them that there is literally zero chance that they will be successful working in academia.

I got a Ph.D. in maths back in 2018. I've published several papers in respectable journals. I socialized at several maths conferences and even presented at several of these conferences, making connections with the topmost in the field. I did everything I was advised to do, and the only opportunities after graduating were endless postdoctoral positions.

Instead, I decided to stop doing any and all research, and focus the rest of my life towards building a career. I currently make a comfortable 6 figure salary in the banking industry. This is a fairly common story. Sadly, I am more successful than any of the Ph.D. students I met during my time in academia.

>> No.12500966

>>12500484
I don't have the special keyboard... J is better in other ways too. K and mathematica are more performant too, but not as powerful

>> No.12500985
File: 1.37 MB, 207x207, 1605648766927.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is what happens when you push stem until its coming out of people's ears. There is an absolute glut of stem students and even perfect 4.0 undergrads. You can't cut through the noise unless you're an actual world class intellect. Otherwise you're just another piece of over educated working class trash in this system

Should have learned a trade and made yourself useful, instead you bought the 100K starting any position I want meme and now reality is whipping your arrogant ass

>> No.12501703
File: 126 KB, 1080x1080, 1607054950829.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12482870
Funny story, I got my first code monkey job, mostly through lying, some portfolio, at age 16. I moved up through the monkey levels for about three years before I ended up helping with brain research at one of the top research labs in the country. It's hard to predict the best way to get somewhere. I don't do it anymore though, I'm retired.

>> No.12502952

>>12500227
This perspective is incredibly narrow

>> No.12502962

>>12502952
You missed the point: academia is very narrow

>> No.12503262

>>12482870
This is why I went to med school after doing my math major

>> No.12503271

>>12483705
That's the sad truth

>> No.12503274

>>12484571
What's the best course of action then

>> No.12503283

>>12483705
>torturing yourself for 6-10+ years laboriously studying math
>doing this for status/prestige
You literally have never met a mathematician in your life. They don't give a single fuck about what anyone thinks about them, and tend to be shy about talking shop around non-experts. Also, people become mathematicians because of a deep love and profound sense of mystery/discovery. Not because for 5 minutes in their life, they get to tell a CSCI major that they're not as smart as they think they are.

>> No.12503351

>>12489895
What are you doing to do when they don't get the same grades as white kids?

>> No.12503928

>>12490047
Ha, I was in college decades ago and I can assure you, very few cared about grades then either.
t. physics major

>> No.12506115

This is capitalism.

>> No.12506143

Read this anon isn’t never about starting early or getting to top schools it’s about drive and perseverance
https://sys.4channel.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatmodeling.stat.columbia.edu%2F2015%2F03%2F17%2F1980-math-olympiad-program-now%2F

>> No.12506625

>>12506143
How on earth is that the message u gained from that?

>> No.12506663

>>12506143
super mean anon