[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 23 KB, 350x295, physician-scientist.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1247554 No.1247554 [Reply] [Original]

/sci/ I'm going to be starting grad school soon, so I'm going to let you guys pick one of my rotations. Here are some options for you:

Researcher 1-
Regulation of the length of telomere repeats and their role in cell physiology; Genetic pathways controlling gene
silencing and cell aging.

-lab is pretty full for the summer, but we can talk about other potential rotation times.
-have students (3 and one rotating this summer)
-lab is funded by 2 NIH grants

Researcher 2-
My lab studies: apoptosis in lymphoid cells; intracellular traffikcing of small molecules; energy metabolism in tumor cells.

-have two talented post-docs
-funding from NIH, and two national private agencies

Researcher 3-
Regulation of cytoskeletal force generation; nonmuscle myosin and actin dynamics, cell migration and
cytokinesis; cancer cell migration; skin wound healing

-still in a "maybe" category regarding whether I will have funds
-have another student from a different program who would like to join the lab

Researcher 4
Arginine metabolism, gene regulation, viral receptors and gene therapy

-one 2d year graduate student and one that just graduated
-trained 4 graduate students
-two R01s for 15 years. One goes for renewal this cycle

>> No.1247555

Researcher 5
Alternative RNA processing and its role in cancer development

- three students in my lab right now
- NIH and DOD funding. I have enough fund to add one to two people in the lab

Researcher 6
Aging; cell biology; dementia; degenerative disease; neuroscience; prion disease; protein chemistry

-have currently two graduate students (for PhD). One is in his fourth year and has already published one primary paper. He is funded through my research grant and is expected to graduate in about a year. The second graduate student is working on transgenic C. elegans model of prion protein-related neurodegeneration. He is funded by a governmental fellowship from China.

- one NIH grant and two grants from Michal J Fox Foundation For Parkinson's Research.

Researcher 7
Transgenic mice and carcinogenesis, retroviral gene therapy, DNA repair, hematopoietic stem cells

-trained many students

Researcher 8
Stem cell pluripotency and differentiation; developmental neurobiology; developmental genetics

Tell me who you think I should use one of my rotations on and why
choose wisely!

>> No.1247575

step 1)

the research group with the most money and facilities

step 2)

stay in that research group and do exactly what your advisor tells you to do.

>> No.1247598

>>1247575
thanks, but that's not really the point of this thread

>> No.1247606

I can't really tell you where to go. If I were you, I would pick labs that do stuff you think is cool.

What I can say is that wherever you go, make sure you can get along with the PI you work for as well as the other people in the lab. Also, it is preferable that you work in a lab that employs people with a lot of experience who you can learn a lot from. You dont usually learn how to do science from your PI or your classes, you learn from the people you work with. Make sure the people you work with are good. Above all else, make sure you can work with them.

>> No.1247624

Which of these are you interested in?

>> No.1247626

>>1247624
All of them, that's why they're on my list of possible labs

>> No.1247644

>>1247626

Also be sure to check to see if the lab is turning over papers on a regular basis. You probably already knew that though.

How would you describe your interests? Molecular biology oriented? Cell biology? Biochemistry? Something else?

Figuring out what you are attracted to can rule out a few labs.

>> No.1247659

>>1247644
right now I'm looking at either cancer biology or stem cell biology, so mostly cell and molecular biology based, but I've also recently got interested in gene therapy after reading a few papers

>> No.1247713

a bunch of people in this thread dont realize that if your PI does not have money, he cant pay for instruments, chemicals, or your fucking tuition.

poor research groups involve MORE WORK for the graduate student.
people still dont seem to understand that just because you are getting paid, and you are not paying tuition, that SOMEONE is not still paying your tuition.

this is why IVY league schools have so many well known names.

only they have the funding necessary to pay $70,000/year tuition for their graduate students.
yes.

I am Joe Schmoe PHD associate professor of biochemistry at Bumbfuck UC.

i have 5 graduate students.

either I pay their tuition with a grant, or they apply for scholarships and grants and use that money for tuition.

if I have EVEN MORE money, I can pay them an RA salary and they dont have to TA.
academic research is hilariously expensive.

>> No.1247730

>>1247659

What scope appeals to you? stuff at the chemical level? The cellular level?

Some modes of problem solving appeal more to some than to others.

>> No.1247743

>>1247730
I'm looking at the cellular level with leanings toward translational research, but not quite to patient testing

>> No.1247762

make sure your advisor has tenure and will not die/retire while you're there.

>> No.1247803

>>1247743

It seems like you are leaning toward working with live model organisms rather than doing in vitro experiments. If that is the case, then labs 7 and 8 would be a good fit for you all other considerations aside.

Any more information on how these labs are doing their research?

>> No.1247848

also, learn about how the labs in your department distribute students to labs. A guy in my department rotated in two labs, but then at the meeting where they determine who goes where, a third professor says "I need a student this year." Guess where the student went?

>> No.1247849

they all seem REALLY cool dude, youre lucky to have this chance.

I like the look of #2 personally, with the intercellular trafficking of molecules. I think that's going to be critical in the coming years for biomedicine.

But of course, so will genetics. 7 & 8 seem interesting.

>> No.1248047

>>1247849
Thanks. I really like lab 8, my only worry is that he's newish faculty.

Although he has already put out 4 papers this year

>> No.1248061

>>1248047

meh the older guys tend to be more conservative/less creative. 4 papers? sounds like he's on top of his game.

>> No.1248146

2, 4, and 6 would be my choices, simply out of the fact that those topics are most interesting to me. Go with what interests you, OP.

>> No.1248579

confirmed for meeting researchers 2,4,7,8 tomorrow to talk with them about possible rotations

>> No.1248597

Research 1 would be fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucking awesome. Otherwise I'd go for 4.

>> No.1248598

Purely for the subject matter, #3
Seriously, I'd love that.

Ergh, too bad there's only a maybe on the funding....

>> No.1248690

>>1248597
I agree with him. When I get to honours I want to do something like this.

>> No.1248701

why no plant biology research?
just as interesting and more applicable to industry

>> No.1248756

>>1248701
I don't like plants, they are not my cup of tea

>> No.1248795

choose between 1, 5, and 6. I am also biased in this recommendation.