[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 3 KB, 198x80, quotes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1242854 No.1242854 [Reply] [Original]

Quotes that changed you, or you just thought were beautifully expressive, or deeply meaningful, or just hilarious.

Feel free to explain your choices, too.

My current two favourites:

"We on earth marvel, and rightfully so, at the daily return of our single sun. But from a planet orbiting a star in a distant globular cluster, a still more glorious dawn awaits. Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise. A morning filled with 400 billion suns, the rising of the Milky Way. "

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

>> No.1242859

pale blue dot

>> No.1242861

"When she is dancing next to me,
I can hear machinery..."

>> No.1242866

"Fear makes the wolf look bigger."

>> No.1242867

* Recently I have gone back to church regularly with a new focus to understand as best I can what it is that makes Christianity so vital and powerful in the lives of billions of people today, even though almost 2000 years have passed since the death and resurrection of Christ. Although I suspect I will never fully understand, I now think the answer is very simple: it's true. God did create the universe about 13.7 billion years ago, and of necessity has involved Himself with His creation ever since. The purpose of this universe is something that only God knows for sure, but it is increasingly clear to modern science that the universe was exquisitely fine-tuned to enable human life. We are somehow critically involved in His purpose. Our job is to sense that purpose as best we can, love one another, and help Him get that job done.
- richard smalley

>> No.1242873

"Courage is being scared shitless, but saddling up anyway"

>> No.1242878
File: 26 KB, 640x625, AlbertEinstein.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1242854
"Engineers are kind of funny little guys. You know, faggots" - A. Einstien

>> No.1242879

Two favorites from that ultimate troll, Erik Naggum

"If GML was an infant, SGML is the bright youngster who far exceeds expectations and made its parents too proud, but XML is the drug-addicted gang member who had committed his first murder before he had sex, which was rape."

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I regret that this isn't fatal."

>> No.1242892
File: 12 KB, 267x326, Noether_Emmy_8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1242854
"You have a better chance of proving the continium hypothesis, then of finding a straight engineer" - E. Noether

>> No.1242901

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux." - Benjamin Franklin

>> No.1242912
File: 96 KB, 542x800, Heisenberg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1242854
"While the universe appears to be based of uncertainities, the one thing I remain certain of is the faggotry of the engineer" - W. Heisenberg (Uncertainity principle)

>> No.1242914
File: 33 KB, 491x600, cury.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"Why can't I find a straight engineer?" -- Marie Cury

>> No.1242923

>>1242912
LMAO

>> No.1242925

>>1242914

fucking spelling fail

>> No.1242935
File: 42 KB, 421x600, Wolfgang_Pauli_ETH-Bib_Portr_01042.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1242854
"Engineers? Fuck-em" - W. Pauli

>> No.1242946

"he who needs nothing, has everything"
-no idea who

>> No.1242953
File: 32 KB, 468x599, 468px-Thomas_Edison2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"Why does Tesla always want to know if I am free in the evening?" - T. Edison

>> No.1243008

Every natural fact is a symbol of some spiritual fact.

Truth is handsomer than the affectation of love. Your goodness must have some edge to it, — else it is none.

Your genuine action will explain itself, and will explain your other genuine actions. Your conformity explains nothing. ...Always scorn appearances, and you always may. The force of character is cumulative.

RWEmerson

>> No.1243020

"I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring." - Feynman

>> No.1243024

"Physics is the only real science. The rest are just stamp collecting."

-- Ernest Rutherford

>> No.1243033

"It's All Just One Big Lie" Bernard Madoff

>> No.1243115

"First and last, what is demanded of genius is love of truth. "

"All perishable is but an allegory / All that is transitory is but a metaphor "

Goethe

>> No.1243125

God created the integers. All else is the work of man.

>> No.1243131

Somehow all the engineer accusations in the thread is making me laugh.

This shows how mature I am.

Also-

"Living in your own world shouldn't leave you wondering why everyone has moved on" - Some Anon in /a/

In the context I thought it was a really insightful thing to say.

>> No.1243197

For every phenomenon there is a very simple explanation, which is also wrong.

One free internet to anyone who can tell me who said that, but it's my favorite quote anyway.

>> No.1243219

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjxew1xf8XE#t=02m48s

>> No.1243224

The cake is a lie

>> No.1243226

"Change alone is unchanging."

>> No.1243241

>>1243197
Similar:

"Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler." Einstein

>> No.1243253

We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances.

>> No.1243278
File: 74 KB, 640x480, rButton.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Once you have missed the first buttonhole you'll never manage to button up.

>> No.1243280

>>1243226
DEBUUUUNKED
Greetings, <span class="math">x^2[/spoiler]

>> No.1243305

"you can love something, you can hate something. anything that you dont love or hate you will miss when its gone. learn to appreciate the stuff you have"

"the hardest thing to do is to empathise with someone. sympathy is easy"

"those who care don't matter and those that matter won't care"

"there's two kinds of people in this world that i hate son. the first is racists. the second are niggers."

>> No.1243319
File: 215 KB, 950x1505, 1274650171546.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

“If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it, I know I can achieve it.”

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”

“You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'”

“Follow your heart, but be quiet for a while first. Ask questions, then feel the answer. Learn to trust your heart.”

“The heart has reasons that reason does not understand.”

"This above all else, to thy own selse be true"

“Wherever you go, go with all your heart.”

“Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all”

"Space... The final frontier...
These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise.
Its continuing mission:
To explore strange new worlds...
To seek out new life; new civilisations...
To boldly go where no one has gone before!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9tDO3HK20Q&playnext_from=TL&videos=_Y-HehtNOgc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EyI4p0yjDQ&playnext_from=TL&videos=g77ajgto43o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G30MhXmlZGE&playnext_from=TL&videos=eZgEonpeaNg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5J9rBJhECA&playnext_from=TL&videos=jxvYeno-bUM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFASos1G-5U&playnext_from=TL&videos=iSaNQ_otsRU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNFX9kCkfw0&playnext_from=TL&videos=4Zm6m-F4aMg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7deClndzQw&playnext_from=TL&videos=ksu4jfGPXQQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAvmLDkAgAM&playnext_from=TL&videos=B84tavVP0QI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlfKdbWwruY&playnext_from=TL&videos=5p9XfWe7iE8

>> No.1243323

Iron rusts from disuse; stagnant water loses its purity and in cold weather becomes frozen; even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Those men who are inventors and interpreters between Nature and Man, as compared with boasters and declaimers of the works of others, must be regarded and not otherwise esteemed than as the object in front of a mirror, when compared with its image seen in the mirror.

Many will think they may reasonably blame me by alleging that my proofs are opposed to the authority of certain men held in the highest reverence by their inexperienced judgments; not considering that my works are the issue of pure and simple experience, who is the one true mistress.

Leonardo Da Vinci

>> No.1243330

>>1243319
>This above all else, to thy own self be true"

fixd

inb4 go back to /lit/

>> No.1243341
File: 31 KB, 296x370, Bootsy-Collins-pictures-1978-LK-3078-016-l.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"Play on the one, and don't fake the funk." - Bootsy Collins.

>> No.1243350

"a mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems"

>> No.1243356

Independence? That's middle-class blasphemy. We are all dependent on one another, every soul of us on earth.

My way of joking is to tell the truth. It's the funniest joke in the world.

The only man I know who behaves sensibly is my tailor; he takes my measurements anew each time he sees me. The rest go on with their old measurements and expect me to fit them.

Just as the liar's punishment is, not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe any one else.

Assassination is the extreme form of censorship.

George Bernard Shaw

>> No.1243386

Space... The final frontier... These are the voyages between your ears - Anthony Alexander

>> No.1243399

"A boy has the right to dream.
There are endless possibilities stretched out before him.
What awaits him down the path; he will then have to chose.
The boy doesn’t always know; at some point, the boy then becomes an adult, and learns what he is able to become.
Joy and sadness will forever accompany this.
He is confronted with a choice:
When this happens, does he bid his past farewell in his heart?
Once a boy becomes an adult, he can no longer go back to being a boy.
The boy is now a man.
Only one thing can be said:
A boy has the right to dream, For those endless possibilities that are stretched out before him.
We must remember:
All men were once boys."

>> No.1243402

If you look up to a person, he must look down on you

>> No.1243404

"Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration."
The quote is from Thomas Edison but I remember it because my karate teacher quoted it all the time.

"Success is a lousy teacher, it seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose" - Bill Gates.

>> No.1243405

>>1243323
>Iron rusts from disuse

Derp

>> No.1243411

Gods prefer checkers. Pawns Prefer Chess.

>> No.1243413

I’m sure that I will always be
A lonely number like root three

The three is all that’s good and right,
Why must my three keep out of sight
Beneath the vicious square root sign,
I wish instead I were a nine

For nine could thwart this evil trick,
with just some quick arithmetic

I know I’ll never see the sun, as 1.7321
Such is my reality, a sad irrationality

When hark! What is this I see,
Another square root of a three

As quietly co-waltzing by,
Together now we multiply
To form a number we prefer,
Rejoicing as an integer

We break free from our mortal bonds
With the wave of magic wands

Our square root signs become unglued
Your love for me has been renewed

>> No.1243415
File: 32 KB, 338x450, Dirac.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There is in my opinion a great similarity between the problems provided by the mysterious behavior of the atom and those provided by the homosexual tendencies of the engineer. - Paul Dirac

>> No.1243422

and you'll suddenly find dirt on everyone but the accused, who will be excused. and the witch hunt will be granted more rope to broaden the noose, which is old news

>> No.1243437

Why is it that math and physics nerds always wish engineers were gay? Seems like an obvious motive. Sorry boys, I'll be sleeping with my wife anyway.

>> No.1243455

There is no shortage of men with small penises

>> No.1243465

the result of being controlled is wishing for things you already own

>> No.1243470

>>1243437
They're jealous that money = chicks and engineers got bank

>> No.1243478

If it is untrue tomorrow, then it is a lie today

>> No.1243485

>>1243437

In case you were wondering, she's a half-Japanese math major with a masters in Industrial engineering. She has a lot to say about usefulness of most of your precious beliefs.

>> No.1243488

paraphrasing the devil, said the priest "what have I been buying if souls don't exist?"

>> No.1243500

>>1243485
Nobody even asked.

>> No.1243503

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

-Arthur C. Clarke

>> No.1243515

Betty White gets hotter by the century

>> No.1243519

>>1243503
Sufficiently Low ping is indistinguishable from Haxx

>> No.1243525

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- some old nobody

>> No.1243528

>>1243500

That's the point. Just flaunting for the "engineers are gay" troll. Did I mention she runs cross country and is a gamer?

>> No.1243532

fighting sleep is sweet defeat

brand me hypocrite. I tend to say thing I don't mean, in hopes of fooling people into being better humans than I've been

long sightedness is also a short coming

>> No.1243537

"we are nothing but star dust that has come together in a specific way so we can look up and contemplate the stars"

>> No.1243597

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

>> No.1243627

I got lots

Mostly Sagan

"Our species needs, and deserves, a citizenry with minds wide awake and a basic understanding of how the world works"

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."
-Buddhist philosophy

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy"

"A wise man, recognizing that the world is but an illusion, does not act as if it is real, so he escapes the suffering."

"Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense. "

>> No.1243638

>>1243627

Continued

"Meditation brings wisdom; lack of mediation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what hold you back, and choose the path that leads to wisdom."

"The thought manifests as the word; The word manifests as the deed; The deed develops into habit; And habit hardens into character. So watch the thought and its ways with care, And let it spring from love Born out of concern for all beings."

"Your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own unguarded thoughts."

>> No.1243642

Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary.

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support. It is self sustained.

We need to be the change we wish to see in the world.

My life is my message.

GANDHI

>> No.1243688

Does the Eagle know what is in the pit?
Or wilt thou go ask the Mole?
Can Wisdom be put in a silver rod?
Or Love in a golden bowl?
You never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough.

W.Blake

>> No.1243703
File: 78 KB, 435x640, chink.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1243485

Ching chong, I don't rike physics, engineeling is gleat. Grorious Nihon engineers make house flom paper - your 'wife'

>> No.1243718

Everyone sees the unseen in proportion to the clarity of his heart, and that depends upon how much he has polished it.
Whoever has polished it more sees more — more unseen forms become manifest to him.

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.

-rumi

>> No.1243754
File: 54 KB, 384x419, confucius_51.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1242854
"Confucius say engineer no like the puss" - Confucius

>> No.1243776

"Whatever I do will be insignificant, but it is very important that I do it." Mahatma Ghandi

"If God doesn't exist, then I can do whatever I please with my life" - some jerk

Sartre replied:
"It is just because God doesn't exist, that we musn't do whatever we want" or else it'd chaos

or something like that i couldnt find the quote

>> No.1243777

When life’s problems seem overwhelming, look around and see what other people are coping with. You may consider yourself lucky.- Ann Landers

If I win, I shall be one of the greatest men in history. If I fail, I shall be condemned, despised and damned. -Adolf Hitler

Contentment is the only true wealth. -Alfred Nobel

I know three things will never be beleived- the true, the probable and the logical.- John Steinbeck
Fuckin love quotes

>> No.1243778

>>1242867
so fine tuned you can simply walk out between the planets, and between the galaxies, and still be able to breath, eh?

the universe is most definitely not "fine tuned" for life.

>> No.1243780
File: 200 KB, 473x640, m_lao_tse.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A journey of a thousand miles started with a first step.

A good traveler has no fixed plans
and is not intent upon arriving.
A good artist lets his intuition
lead him wherever it wants.
A good scientist has freed himself of concepts
and keeps his mind open to what is.
Thus the Master is available to all people
and doesn't reject anyone.
He is ready to use all situations
and doesn't waste anything.
This is called embodying the light.

- Laozi

>> No.1243781

Violence is the ignorants' last resort

>> No.1243784
File: 78 KB, 750x600, 1246278037715.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1243785
File: 358 KB, 700x670, buddha-head.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - Buddha

>> No.1243786

"The niggers will pay"

>> No.1243797

>>1243785
I accidentally a whole quantum physics.

>> No.1243807

In order to arrive there,
To arrive where you are, to get from where you are not,
You must go by a way wherein there is no ecstacy.
In order to arrive at what you do not know
You must go by a way which is the way of ignorance.
In order to possess what you do not possess
You must go by the way of dispossession.
In order to arrive at what you are not
You must go through the way in which you are not.
And what you do not know is the only thing you know
And what you own is what you do not own
And where you are is where you are not.

>> No.1243818
File: 43 KB, 485x560, schrodinger.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1242854
"If you see a group of engineers going into the gym shower together, RUN" - E. Schrodinger

>> No.1243819

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find out it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."

>> No.1243821
File: 14 KB, 400x495, 17306_de_broglie-lg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1242854
"I do not have a problem with the engineer, as long as he doesn't talk about gay sex in my lab" - De Broglie

>> No.1243826

"Anyone can write a book Mr Miles, and they can put anything they want in it. I even belive there is a bookt hat claims the wrold was made in seven days, a bestseller too." - Dr Warren Vidic, Assassins Creed

>> No.1243838
File: 57 KB, 800x600, 1262721985183.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1243851
File: 33 KB, 407x559, GodfreyKneller-IsaacNewton-1689.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

“ Law I: Every Engineer persists in its state of being at rest or of moving uniformly straight to fagotry, except insofar as it is compelled to change its state by becoming scientists."

“ Lex I: Corpus omne enginerium perseverare in statu suo quiescendi fagotto vel movendi uniformiter in directum, nisi quatenus a viribus impressis cogitur statum illum mutare siendo scientista. ”

>> No.1243856

>>1243838
His daily smoking of weed seems to conflict with this statement.

>> No.1243861

>>1243851
“ Law I: Every Scientist's Ego persists in its state of being at rest or of moving uniformly straight to inflation, except insofar as it is compelled to change its state by becoming a non-fuctard."

>> No.1243865
File: 56 KB, 407x508, Ernest_Rutherford2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1242854
"I am so bloody tired of having to dumb shit down for these faggots (engineers)" - E. Rutherford

>> No.1243881
File: 14 KB, 297x300, brunel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"The engineer does not study engineering because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in men, and he delights in them because they are beautiful." - Brunel

>> No.1243883
File: 53 KB, 360x447, cs_wu.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1242854
When questioned about engineers:

"If I could I would radiate the whole lot of them" - C.S. Wu

>> No.1243889
File: 28 KB, 600x480, whos-awesome.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1243881
LMAO, thats fucking highlarious!

>> No.1243904

"The Student Alliance of Gay Engineers (SAGE) is a student group for gay, lesbian, bisexual, trans-gender, queer and ally undergraduate and graduate students in the field of engineering, and similar majors."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student_Alliance_of_Gay_Engineers

>> No.1243910
File: 52 KB, 490x600, Gauss.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1242854

"Elegance should be left to shoemakers and tailors, faggotry should be left to engineers" - L. Boltzmann

>> No.1243921
File: 16 KB, 357x359, 1274637891948.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>My face when I see this thread.

>>1243865
>>1243881
>>1243883
>>1243821
>>1243818
Oh wow.

>> No.1243925

>>1243904

Funnily enough, membership is on an opt-out basis at my university.

>> No.1243950
File: 9 KB, 268x326, Newton.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"Every male engineer attracts every single other male engineer by a force pointing along the line intersecting both points. The force is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them."

>> No.1244002

Dont understand the problem with engineers.

>> No.1244009

>>1244002
Do you understand forced memes?

>> No.1244014

this thread started out cool, but it quickly went into a 4chan spiral of stupidity,

SAGE!

>> No.1244016
File: 971 KB, 1680x1050, einstein problems quote.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

pic related

>> No.1244024

>>1244014
>Quotes that changed you, or you just thought were beautifully expressive, or deeply meaningful, or just hilarious.
>or just hilarious
hilarious

>> No.1244025

bitches ain't shit but hoes n tricks

>> No.1244047
File: 30 KB, 600x514, mid_Dbz___Bro_Fist_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1243910
Fuck, these are highlarious! LMAO! THANKS GUY!

>> No.1244049

>>1244009

yes.

What i dont understand is how people let them catch on.

you guys are such sheep on this website.

>> No.1244696

>>1244049
Some of those are funny.

Hardship introduce a man to himself

He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man

those two makes sense on earth.

>> No.1244979

"It doesn't matter how much milk you spill as long as you don't lose the cow."

>> No.1245117

>>1243197
hmm, ive heard that before, but i cant remember where.

sounds like something feynman would say.

>> No.1245188

HAHA ENGINEERS ARE GAY XD XD AMIRITE AMIRITE EPIC WIN

>> No.1245621

>>1245188
Yeah, engineers are gay! You right!

>> No.1245667

>>1243910
>>1243910
EE here, I actually laughed

>> No.1245693

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job."

- Douglas Adams

>> No.1245699
File: 40 KB, 515x500, reggiederp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1245704

>>1245667
yeah, a few of these are fucking highlarious!

>> No.1245919

Newtons third law:
For every rich successful engineer there is an equal but oppositely rich and successful scientist.

>> No.1245950

>>1245919
Touché

>> No.1246283

>>1243881
/quote>

>> No.1246295

>>1244009
no no i like it i like it

>> No.1246319

life is the dream, the dream is a glimpse into meaning..

meaning - sleep is an inefficient recharge.. needed to maintain our strength to maintain the illusion.. why?

a trial? a farm? a sentence? repentance?

I saw God and proceeded to kneel.
He told me "get up, i remember when i met my god and how he told me he met his, and then i knew the meaning of life and became god, now you too are god, be kind and patient with your reality"

D. Luded Musing

>> No.1246492
File: 17 KB, 380x550, max-planck.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"A conversation with a janitor would be far more intellectually stimulating then one with an engineer" - M. Plank

>> No.1246503
File: 13 KB, 298x340, curie1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1242854
"I tend to hire engineers. I enjoy shopping with gay men on the weekend" - M. Curie

>> No.1246520

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.

>> No.1246525
File: 27 KB, 360x410, richard-feynman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1242854
"Why hire an engineer? Did we run out of illegal immigrants?" - Richard Feynman

>> No.1246534
File: 41 KB, 697x683, albert-einstein.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"Christians are the feces from the rear end of stupidity."-Albert Einstein

>> No.1246554

Pt. 1

'Not all those who wander are lost.'

'What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.'

'Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.'

'Time you enjoyed wasting was not time wasted.'

'Dreaming in digital
Living in realtime
Thinking in binary
Talking in IP
Welcome to our world'

'Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.'

'Tis one thing to be tempted, another thing to fall.'

'The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.'

'To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily. Not to dare is to lose oneself.'

'We are like chameleons, we take our hue and the color of our moral character, from those who are around us.'

'The measure of a man is what he does with power.'

'When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.'

'Literature is the art of writing something that will be read twise.'

'If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so.'

'There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it.'

'One should respect public opinion insofar as is nessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is a voluntary submission to an unnecessary tryanny.'

'Difference implies superiority, and superiority breeds contempt.'

>> No.1246559

>>1246554
Pt. 2

'Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.'

'Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.'

'The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.'

'The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to an opponent, tolerance; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect; to all men, charity.'

'Time heals that which reason cannot.'

'Truth is elusive for those who refuse to see with both eyes.'

'In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher.'

'The only man that is really free is the one who can turn down an invitation to dinner without giving any excuse.'

>> No.1246566
File: 20 KB, 363x391, jesus_cri.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

“What shall it profit a engineer if he gains the whole world but loses his science.”

>> No.1246582

>>1246534
>>1242854
0/10

>> No.1246655

"We shall have our follies without doubt. Some one or more of them will always be afloat. But ours will be the follies of enthusiasm, not of bigotry, not of Jesuitism. Bigotry is the disease of ignorance, of morbid minds; enthusiasm of the free and buoyant. Education and free discussion are the antidotes of both." -Thomas Jefferson

Nothing special, just a cool quote supporting liberty, free-thought, etc.

>> No.1246701

Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to reptitive music.

On a more serious tone:

Death of one is a tragedy, death of a million is a statement.

The line between what is right and what is wrong is thin and indistinct. It takes true character to discern between the two.

>> No.1246755

>>1246701
s/statement/statistic/?

>> No.1246760

“Education is not filling a bucket, but lighting a fire.”

“The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity.”

“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.”

>> No.1246785

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXdAIJK62Qc&feature=related

>> No.1246807

"Religion is, indeed, the self-consciousness and self-esteem of man who has either not yet won through to himself, or has already lost himself again. But man is no abstract being squatting outside the world. Man is the world of man—state, society. This state and this society produce religion, which is an inverted consciousness of the world, because they are an inverted world. Religion is the general theory of this world, its encyclopedic compendium, its logic in popular form, its spiritual point d'honneur, its enthusiasm, its moral sanction, its solemn complement, and its universal basis of consolation and justification. It is the fantastic realization of the human essence since the human essence has not acquired any true reality. The struggle against religion is, therefore, indirectly the... struggle against that world whose spiritual aroma is religion. Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is the demand for their real happiness. To call on them to give up their illusions about their condition is to call on them to give up a condition that requires illusions. The criticism of religion is, therefore, in embryo, the criticism of that vale of tears of which religion is the halo." - Karl Marx.

>> No.1246885
File: 780 KB, 1577x2060, Grule.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1246910

"Verily I tell you, that the sabbath was created for man, not man for the sabbath"
- Jesus Titty-fucking Christ

>> No.1246920

Seriously,will you guys stop following me and writing down everything I say? -- Jesus

>> No.1246968

"Disregard that, I suck cocks."

- OP

>> No.1247012

>>1246755
Not really, while much the same, the statistic is more about expressing the unpersonal nature of death on such a scale. While statement is; just that, a statement, why else would you kill that many people.

>> No.1247089

"And everything under the sun is tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the Moon."

"There is no dark side of the Moon really. As a matter of fact, it's all dark."

>> No.1247115

"did you know that when bees die they give off a phermone that all the other bees detect, so they go and grab his dead body and toss it from the honeycomb? but if you take a living bee and douse him with the same chemical, all the other bees will still react as though he were dead, despite his kicking and screaming, and throw him out of the honeycomb just the same. do you ever feel like you're covered with death phermones and nobody understands?"
- Don Hertzfeldt

>> No.1247266

If you're not wasted, the day is.

>> No.1247277

Disobedience,i n the eyes of anyone who has read history, is man's original virtue. It is through disobedience and rebellion that progress has been made.

Oscar Wilde

>> No.1247302

>>1247277
Correction I suck cocks- mindless copypasta that wasn't read. Should read:

Disobedience, in the eyes of anyone who has read history, is man’s original virtue. It is through disobedience that progress has been made, through disobedience and through rebellion.

>> No.1247327

The unexamined life is not worth living.

>> No.1247350

>>1246566
That is fucking awesome!
yourock.jpg

>> No.1247379
File: 17 KB, 349x429, tesla1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1242854
"I perfer sex with men" - Tesla

>> No.1247396

>>1247379
Nah man that was Turing not Tesla

>> No.1247401
File: 76 KB, 300x361, 300px-James_Clerk_Maxwell.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1242854
"It is better to have one scientist by your side, then a whole army of engineers" - J. Maxwell

>> No.1247409

>>1247396
Seriously, they were both homsexuals. Just google it!

>> No.1247415

>>1247409
only one of them is a confirmed homosexual

and it isn't Tesla

>> No.1247432
File: 30 KB, 382x479, jesus-christ-head-c10078816.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1242854
"It is easier for a camel to pass thru the eye of a needle, then for a engineer to get into heaven" - Jesus Christ

>> No.1247443

>>1246566

And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?

http://bible.cc/mark/8-36.htm

>> No.1247447

"Disregard that, I suck cocks."
-OP

>> No.1247450

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage

>> No.1247469 [DELETED] 

"God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?"
- Nietzsche

>> No.1247480

The clownfish safely hide among the stinging tentacles of the anemones.

>> No.1247519

"Some stay dry and others feel the pain. Chocolate Rain."
- Tay Zonday

>> No.1247520

>why so much engineer hate?
>it was funny when you guys just made fun of us :(

My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher.
-Socrates

I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
-Socrates

I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them
-Ian Flemming

If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.
- Robert X. Cringely

Smoking is one of the leading causes of statistics.
- Fletcher Knebel

Careful. We don't want to learn from this.
-"Calvin and Hobbes" Bill Watterson

It only takes 20 years for a liberal to become a conservative without changing a single idea.
-Robert Anton Wilson

Idealism is what precedes experience; cynicism is what follows.
- David T. Wolf

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
- William G. McAdoo

It's never just a game when you're winning.
- George Carlin

Humanity has advanced, when it has advanced, not because it has been sober, responsible, and cautious, but because it has been playful, rebellious, and immature.
- Tom Robbins

A citizen of America will cross the ocean to fight for democracy, but won't cross the street to vote in a national election.
- Bill Vaughan

In an hour of Darkness a blind man is the best guide. In an age of Insanity look to the madman to lead the way.

Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder
- Elim Garak

>> No.1247522
File: 218 KB, 439x596, pbd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1247531
File: 17 KB, 298x440, shalking.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1247547
File: 27 KB, 408x400, 1276381115378.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1242854
"I have a special place in hell for homosexuals (engineers)" - Our Dark Lord

>> No.1247567
File: 32 KB, 341x450, adolf-hitler.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1242854
When refering to the holocaust.

"I was advised by engineers" - A. Hitler

>> No.1247596
File: 12 KB, 339x425, john_wayne.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1242854
"You can lead an engineer to pussy, but he won't fuck" - John Wayne

>> No.1247608
File: 7 KB, 160x160, southpark-big-gay-al_160_1229026831.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Engineers are super

>> No.1247611
File: 29 KB, 252x264, 1276046542761.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1247596

>> No.1247615

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP-ugoF-www

>> No.1247627
File: 18 KB, 550x440, TF2_MeetTheEngineer_720p_flv.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"I told ya not to touch that darn thing"

The Engineer

>> No.1247682
File: 25 KB, 310x364, African%20America%20teen%20boy%20b_w.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1242854
"Your momma so stupid, shes majored in engineering" - Old African American Proverb

>> No.1247686
File: 75 KB, 390x373, jstconnector.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"My students just hate when male connects with female" - Engineering Professor

>> No.1247710

>>1247682
"What do you mean, "you don't sell butt-plugs"?" - Old Engineering Proverb

>> No.1247846

“No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.” Drizzt Dro'Urden

“Most species do their own evolving, making it up as they go along, which is the way Nature intended. And this is all very natural and organic and in tune with mysterious cycles of the cosmos, which believes that there’s nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fiber and, in some cases, backbone.” - Terry Pratchett

>> No.1248034

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." - Frank Zappa

>> No.1248087

"We fight so that we might know the fear for our mortality."

>> No.1248117

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
H. L. Mencken

>> No.1248124

"You think you're hot shit on a silver platter, but you are just cold diarrhea in a paper bag."
-Anon

>> No.1248140

>>1248124
That's almost a direct quote of The Monarch from the Venture Bros.

He said "champagne glass" instead of "silver platter".

>> No.1248144

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

>> No.1248147

>>1248140
So that's where my faggoty friend got it from. I knew he wasn't that clever.