[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 10 KB, 180x179, Wojak_cropped.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12418806 No.12418806 [Reply] [Original]

how do i get more motivation and faszination for math?

what motivates you, makes you interessed in math?
can you make me interessed in math?

>> No.12418812
File: 51 KB, 540x435, eart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

At around 21 I stopped enjoying movies, anime, tv, video games and most of music.
So I just learn stuff now.

>> No.12418814

>>12418812
I also browse /sci/ sometimes. And by most of music I mean music with singing.

>> No.12418818

>>12418806
Didnt care for it in highschool, took the lowest level of math possible (out of 4 levels), never cared for it afterwards.

Then I found out my interest in archaeology was actually rooted in an interest in consciousness, so I switched to neuroscience. I had to learn math and once I started it as an adult it was a shitload of fun.

>> No.12418836
File: 174 KB, 500x594, luca.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12418812
And I guess a way of how to do that. Once I started thinking about how much my thoughts affect what I do, and how much media influences your thoughts I kinda found the whole act of consuming disgusting. A machine you stare into while you wait to die in a sense that affects your thinking.
And after you consume minimally you have time to do a lot, just do nothing until you're so bored you want to do math and once you start you'll see into the beauty of a conceptual world and a different frame of mind.
Start from the beginning, precalculus and discrete math 1 material.

>> No.12419181

>>12418812
>>12418836
How based can one man be? I am 26 and my media consumption has somewhat died down but still there. I really hope that I can go full autist before I go back to Uni for my masters. Any material I can read (>inb4 somebody calls me a consoomer) that ll help me with seeing things the way you see them?

>> No.12419273

>>12419181
Not sure, just try every day. Train every type of thinking.
I don't know about any certain book, I've read quite a lot and reading works similar to a recursive function for me.
The most important thing I find is to really be honest with yourself on a deep level without ego of what you know, while simultaneously telling only yourself that you are smart and can solve any problem when you're put in a position where you need to solve it. This way you'd know if you really understand and comprehend something, and if you don't you need to shut down your ego and quickly go through high school level material again for whatever material you're trying to understand and solve.
For me this strategy creates this certain intuitive system for me where you know what you don't know but tell yourself that you can with practise and that you should do it.
And I follow the rule that I don't understand something properly until I can visualize the system or process of it occurring abstractly.
I also stopped existing solely in my own mind, splitting my consciousness between mind, body, consumed information and environment. Makes you look at what you're really doing in a better and healthier way.
Suddenly the world stopped being this lost disgusting place and instead became a beautiful space of reason and patterns to explore. You look at everything differently, snow stops being cold and irritating in your mind but instead becomes complex and beautiful following given underlying rules.

>> No.12419307
File: 74 KB, 526x567, ouioiu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12418836
>>12419181
I live alone and basically my entire waking hour alternates between me studying for uni and playing the one video game I still enjoy. I'm worried that I will slowly end up in a position where I'll just like learning for the sake of learning and not have an overall goal. This isn't exactly a bad thing but I have a friend living almost the exact same lifestyle as me but he's diagnosed with clinical depression and lockdown restrictions really don't help.

Imo I've never had a more relaxing and enjoyable lifestyle in the past 9~ months, limiting your interactions with all the horseshit consumerist aspects of media is liberating but doing this without negating positive social interaction has been quite tough. Obviously buying shit you don't need will never bring long-term happiness but it's still easier to live this lifestyle and I think you have to experience some hedonism before you can fully make up your mind. Accumulating material wealth will always be easier than spiritual wealth, it's a shitty platitude but it's true and it's probably why many billionaires end up doing philanthropic work when they're finished pillaging the world (assuming they're not just building their legacy).

>> No.12419471

>>12419273
>>12419307
I stopped doing anything but reading books & browsing /sci/ & /biz/ when I was 17 due to the ultimate blackpill that behavioural psychology is, so I had assumed that you were the same. however, these two posts proved that we are very different, and I wonder how have you achieved this level. after the aforementioned blackpill, I just became somewhat depressed. The only thing that has kept me going for the past year (I'm now 18) is the dream of becoming a quant. I don't even feel anything anymore, just doing what is required for this goal, and hoping that one day something will change in my life.
Now that you have my background, would you please provide me with any advice regarding this? For example, I don't understand what you mean by
> I also stopped existing solely in my own mind, splitting my consciousness between mind, body, consumed information and environment. Makes you look at what you're really doing in a better and healthier way.

I have tried to minimize the inner dialogue (since it's slow), and relearn visualising stuff for entertainment (when I was 13-15, I would close my eyes and sometimes a green circle appeared, which I would then watch as it expands and does other weird things).
Is that what you mean?

>> No.12419546

>>12419471
I would not specifically say I changed, it's rather that I had already been changed so I brute forced my way back to the person I am, as in the person I was naturally when I was a kid without falsities disguised as presupposed truths plaguing my mind that was without proper axiomatic principles.
What I mean is that you very likely aren't only you right now. You're a subsystem within a super set where it affects you while you're stuck in your own head with given information which is false.
My room was empty, but when I realized my room was part of what I was I placed a nice mat in it, warm lighting, mathematical formulas and threw out anything that shouldn't be there, etc.
I blindly consumed information and thought there was any worth in watching the news, why? because the super set told me so but I stopped, I only feel better. I used to read following these charts and literature considered a must read but now I only read what I want to read and make sure I can, trying to pick something out that won't affect me negatively.
I keep things calm and organized, makes your mind calm and organized.
When I'm walking outside I am not just walking to point a to b. I look at my environment, I visualize what is happening around me and its space. A building is not just "a hospital, here people are taken care of" but it rather becomes a complex system in my mind with a spatial environment that I can visualize following multiple types of rules, consisting of multiple types of different systems.
It really boils down to the fact that there are thoughts, ideas and environments that affect you in a good way and there are those who don't so why shouldn't you do everything to organize yourself and your environment and the information you consume to think in a way that you want to think in?
There is truth already set in stone about your mind, but there is also truth in social structures and anything that affects it around you.

>> No.12419550

>>12418806
Just dilate.

>> No.12419578

>>12419546
Basically what I'm trying to say is
>Don't try to make sense of the societal system you live in as it doesn't make sense and is full of contradictions
>You do live in the world however, and the world is reasonable so try and make sense of it. Including the abstract one
>Any type of information that you consume is an input into your mind to be processed, whether that is through vision, hearing or something else. Realize that and control it to be good information. Even mall music in the background can affect your thinking.

>> No.12419627

>>12419578
alright, i'll try to analyze everything

>> No.12419632
File: 231 KB, 496x504, 9876yop.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12419471
>>12419307
This post and the one with the cat image I tagged are my only ones on this thread, just in case you've confused me for someone else.
I'm similar to you though, thought long and hard about becoming a quant but ended up going actuarial route because the steps to becoming an actuary is much more straight forward and clearly defined, quant is more of a throwaway term rather than a specific job from what I've seen.
Currently a second year actuarial and financial studies student, the course basically guarantees you walk into a job after uni (as long as you can make it through the material).

I think you should keep pushing to be a quant because you'll have long term satisfaction from achieving a long term goal, but be prepared to move onto something else greater if you still aren't satisfied. I was basically plagued by insecurity for two years before I managed to get an employable course I like but now that I know I'll be able to get a good job I'm also just enjoying myself until I stumble into any life-changing opportunity.

Basically just keep pushing and setting high goals, that is guaranteed to give you fulfillment and happiness, you'll be guaranteed to find a passion you share with others. I wish I could give more than pseudo-sage advice but an optimistic perspective makes a real difference.

>> No.12419642

>>12419632
thanks

>> No.12420002

>>12418836
teach me how to do this but for literally anything else

>> No.12420212

>>12418806
pretty much just try to do something math related everyday. A good place to start would be looking at the topics you've learned from school and play around with it. I ended up learning vector calculus because I wanted to rotate arrows around in 3d space

>> No.12420562
File: 3.32 MB, 1334x750, E8AC848F-4244-4AD2-9A47-A59E47350CB0.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12418836
how did you manage to consume minimally? i'm trying but i'm addicted to this shit so i cannot break free.