[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 28 KB, 619x453, sadpeepo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12417692 No.12417692 [Reply] [Original]

so i go to a T30 school and am a sophomore. i want to get a phd in evolutionary biology and ecology with the goal to become a research professor, or lecturer if that doesn't work out. how do i find schools that are good for me, and how do i increase my chances of getting in. started research with prof in fall of sophomore year (this semester) and will keep doing research. also going to be doing it in summer. ~3.87 gpa but will be lower after this semester, prob 3.6/3.5 but science gpa will be like 3.7/3.8

>> No.12417804

>>12417692
Just write some papers or something

>> No.12417810

>>12417692
>pay for years of school to teach school
just don't even waste your time

>> No.12417815

>>12417692
the best piece of advice is
>quickly get into your field of interest and stay with that advisor for the rest of your time
>work in the lab as much as you can, maybe get on a paper if possible (not necessary, but for biology it kind of is)
>around late junior year, approach your advisor and say you're wanting to apply for a phd. ask what schools they would advise you to look into
this has the added benefit of telling you places where your advisor has connections and could help connect you with faculty there, increasing your chances of entry
>look up your specific subfield, follow recent publications and see what groups are pushing out high-profile work in the field of interest
>reach out to profs you'd want to work with at least by the summer before phd applications. mention your interest in their research and there's a chance they'd want to continue the conversation or even have you do an in-person visit. if they offer this, ABSOLUTELY do it

>> No.12417817

>>12417810
>retards still not understanding that you get paid to do a phd
I'll say it again. retard.

>> No.12417842

Solve a millennium prize problem, have 100 years of work experience running and working for a non profit for saving aids infected transgender survived abortions in Africa.
have a noble prize.
get shot during a campaign against racism which you're the leader of.
be black.
don't be black.
be asian.
don't be asian.
don't be fucking white you scum.
be (((((white)))))
be einstein and gauss' son
finish your undergrad at 5 years old... NO at birth.
and already hold a PhD.
also be 6'5 and have a big dick.
simple as.
I dunno just get some recs, do research, good grades, good test scores, and apply to different schools that based on thier own recommendations you think you have a chance to get into.

>> No.12417844

>>12417817
seethe harder perma student/perma child

>> No.12417847 [DELETED] 
File: 29 KB, 300x240, you.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

btfo'd so hard you have nothing to say

>> No.12417850

>>12417844
>no response
retard