[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 314 KB, 1102x958, 1604163224693.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12406615 No.12406615 [Reply] [Original]

So sci/ I am reading Road to Reality and having an Engin background I thought I could handle this book. Oh boy was I wrong, wtf are manifolds, Riemann surfaces and so on?

Any books you math's nerds recommend to make head and tails with the topics found on that book?

>> No.12406649
File: 108 KB, 708x591, BA257FAF-84FB-404F-BB81-1EC6F0A20536.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Stfu tranny. Kys.

Anyways, a book for Riemmanian manifolds?? So.... Um. First off. You’ll need to learn: linear algebra, calculus 1-3, and real analysis, and some communative algebra. Then, a good book is: “An introduction to manifold theory”- loring tu, for manifolds, and “Algebraic Geometry”- Hartshorne, for Rieman surfaces. You could also just read Spivaks 3 volumes. But, what I’m saying is clusterfucked.

If you want to learn what a manifold is, learn point set topology, and use wiki. Then, if you want to know what a rieman surface is, learn Loring tu, then use Wikipedia. The other books just go in depth. But this looks pretty dense, if in fact it’s not a popsci book, from the table of contents. So, it could actually be useful to get all of the courses, the books I mentioned, before going in. It also talks finer bundles.

So, for differential geometry, I told you the prerequisites: point set topology, linear algebra, maybe real analysis.

It also seems to talk about algebra, so learn abstract algebra, a good book on that is Bourbaki, and I used dummit and foote for the basic algebra, but Lang looks better. So use Lang. Don’t listen to retards on this board about Lang, they’re clearly Sooners. Oh yeah. Dude you need to learn differential geometry. “Lie derivative, torsion”.

So then for diff geo: spivak and loring tu are excellent. First three volumes of spivak, and the loring th “manifold theory”. Then the rest idk.

>> No.12406681

https://www.overleaf.com/read/vvtvtdsgdtfd

Also, here's a semi-comprehensive math list if you would like a math book for each subject.

I just made this pdf, just for you <3.

So don't judge, I also am too lazy to edit and fix it, don't judge my latex like a nigger tranny. I like all races. Hate transgenders.

>> No.12406785
File: 63 KB, 1024x1014, fishingPoleBait.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12406649
Fuck you, faggot.

On the other note, thanks I will check them em out as suggested. I have been becoming more interested in mathematics lately so I will enjoy a deeper dive.

>>12406681
Thanks frien, I will have a look through the books.

>> No.12406804

>>12406785
>faggot
Why the homophobia?

>> No.12406807

>>12406804
Are you the same guy like on every fucking post, saying “why the ik a fucking idiot”. Stfu.

You’re annoying. Leave. Grow a pair. Fuck yourself. Also, when I first learned the word faggot, 2012, I was 12 I had no idea it had anything to do with being gay, until 2016. It’s just a word.
Stop being annoying.

>> No.12406823

>>12406615
Is this the same penrose whom the pseudo-inverse is named after? Seriously bros, why did they wait so long to give him a Nobel Prize?

>> No.12406845

>>12406804
Probably bait, but for anyone who seriously thinks this:

Move out of your mom's basement and try to engage with normal human beings, who can banter and aren't completely pussyfied.

>>12406823
Seems to be the same guy.
>Nobel prize
Kek, common man this prize is just a meme these days. It has been politicized like everything else.